Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Flash Gordon (1980)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 12, 2012 7:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This was another attempt at cashing in on the success of "Star Wars."  I just watched it last night on cable, and it's still a lot of fun.

• June 22, 2012 12:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Flesh Gordon (1974) was better and didn't have #$%@# Queen on the soundtrack.

• June 15, 2012 4:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1980's FLASH GORDON is on the Free Movies section of ON DEMAND through XFINITY at the moment so I should probably watch it again.

Buck Rogers also proceeded the Flash Gordon comic strip by about 5 years but got surpassed in popularity due to the Flash Gordon serials.  A Buck Rogers serial with Buster Crabbe didn't really do anything for the character but is still a fun watch.

• June 15, 2012 12:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S TRUE , BUT , I THINK WHAT THANE MEANT WAS , THE FLASH GORDON MOVIE ('80) WAS PROBABLY MORE INFLUENCED BY THE BUCK ROGERS MOVIE AND TV SHOW OF , WHAT? A YEAR OR TWO EARLIER? IT'S TRUE , BUCK ROGERS WAS BOTH , WITH THE SAME MATERIAL ! HOLY BATTLESTAR GALACTICA , BATMAN !  I SAW "FLASH GORDON" ABOUT A YEAR AGO. TO ME , IT'S SO BAD , IT'S GREAT.   LUCAS DREW INSPIRATION FROM THE FLASH GORDON AND/OR BUCK ROGERS SERIALS WITH BUSTER CRABBE.....BUT , OF COURSE , THE INNOCENCE IS LACKING.    

I  have'nt seen "Star Wars" since the early 80's* , the lustre wore off for me , but I still enjoy the 30's and 40's serials - Batman , Purple Monster Strikes , Captain America , Captain Marvel , Superman , Spy Smasher , etc.

* I did see the TURKISH "Star Wars " , recently.
      Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Flash Gordon had been around for ages and the original serials are what partly inspired Lucas to come up with Star Wars.

• June 13, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still like "Star Wars," mainly the first trilogy (The second trilogy left something to be desired).  However, I'm with you on Erin Grey on "Buck Rogers":)  She was HOT as Wilma Deering in those skin tight uniforms.

Thane Cesar said:

I think Lucas got lucky with technology, and was smart enough to steal from some a fairly obscure movie (The Fortress). Sci-Fi has always been popular in the States, but you can't deny after Star Wars it increased budgets.

I love Flash Gordon, because it takes the piss, same with Buck Rogers (tho' Erin Grey and Pam Hensley also played a part).

And Star Wars sucks, mostly because Lucas revised it. Han shot first kids, remember that.

• June 13, 2012 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I watch it now, I still keep thinking Vultan is saying "DIIIIIIIEEEEEE!", as if he's loudly admitting to his men that their attack is a suicide mission.

Thane Cesar said:

More cashing in on the success of Buck Rogers. Saw this in the cinema when I was a kid. Max Von Sydow played Jesus in TGSET. I'd rather some kid got nerdy about this film, than Star Wars, which is a terible set of films.

"Ah well, who wants to live forever? DDDEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE"

• June 13, 2012 10:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think Lucas got lucky with technology, and was smart enough to steal from some a fairly obscure movie (The Fortress). Sci-Fi has always been popular in the States, but you can't deny after Star Wars it increased budgets.

I love Flash Gordon, because it takes the piss, same with Buck Rogers (tho' Erin Grey and Pam Hensley also played a part).

And Star Wars sucks, mostly because Lucas revised it. Han shot first kids, remember that.

• June 12, 2012 5:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny how it all feeds a loop.  Lucas was influenced by Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, and his franchise led to a revival of those franchises, not to mention the "Star Trek" franchise, along with a new franchise, "Battlestar Galactica."

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Flash Gordon had been around for ages and the original serials are what partly inspired Lucas to come up with Star Wars.

• June 12, 2012 4:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 12, 2012 12:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

More cashing in on the success of Buck Rogers. Saw this in the cinema when I was a kid. Max Von Sydow played Jesus in TGSET. I'd rather some kid got nerdy about this film, than Star Wars, which is a terible set of films.

"Ah well, who wants to live forever? DDDEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE"

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel