Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Wilko Johnson (Dr Feelgood). Gutting news...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 10, 2013 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wilko Johnson, guitarist in Dr Feelgood (& recently famous for playing tongueless executioner Sir Ilyn Payne, in Game of Thrones) was a huge influence on punk rock. Wrote some great songs, & had/has his own idiosynchratic style. Sad news, but he keeps on keeping on!

from www.wilkojohnson.org:

"WILKO JOHNSON – IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

I am very sad to announce that Wilko has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the pancreas. He has chosen not to receive any chemotherapy.

He is currently in good spirits, is not yet suffering any physical effects and can expect to enjoy at least another few months of reasonable health and activity.

He has just set off on a trip to Japan; on his return we plan to complete a new CD, make a short tour of France, then give a series of farewell gigs in the UK. There is also a live DVD in the pipeline, filmed on the last UK tour.

Wilko wishes to offer his sincere thanks for all the support he has had over his long career, from those who have worked with him to, above all, those devoted fans and admirers who have attended his live gigs, bought his recordings and generally made his life such an extraordinarily full and eventful experience.

Thank you.

Robert Hoy (Manager)"

I'm glad i got to see him play in the summer.

• June 12, 2013 7:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , Wilko's still here , and going full steam ahead. This is a man who once tried to pilot a plane , with no prior knowledge of how to.  It's a cinch he has more sense , but , still no fear.

• January 17, 2013 10:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I think I've seen Wilco's book out, scanned through it and it seems quite good.

• January 16, 2013 1:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Like the man says....gutted..... Wilko Johnson is an icon......His music will live on....

• January 13, 2013 2:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

These guys introduced me to real R&B, which I am glad they did. I saw them at Blackheath Concert Halls and they were excellent, as they were at the Great British Beer Festival too.

• January 13, 2013 7:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wilko Johnson is one of the giants of British rock and roll.  This is terrible news.  

• January 12, 2013 7:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Please ,  as a resident in Wilco's home town , let's not call Wilko Johnson "Wilco".

Jeff Tweedy was always a nice guy in the times I briefly met him , but Wilco's music was obsolete , getting out of the starting gate. WILKO's music will outlive us all....That said , and I don't mean to be critical . We have Wilco coming out of our ears like you have Morrissey coming out of yours.  MY MISTAKE , WE ALL HAVE MORRISSEY COMING OUT OF OUR EARS !!!!  DR. FEELGOOD TOURED THE STATES AT LEAST TWICE , BUT , THEY NEVER PICKED UP ANY STEAM AROUND HERE , EVEN WITH THE "PUNK" CROWD , THO' A FEW ROCK ZINES WROTE THEM UP.  Speaking of early Dr. Feelgood , that's them backing Heinz in the "1972 (Wembley ) Rock'n'Roll Show" film.

• January 12, 2013 6:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lets face it. Wot Dr Feelgood would ya really pay good money to have the chance to see? Canvey Island 73 74 or London Soho sleazy backroom 2009? Wheres ma Bellbottoms? I'm off back to when Great Britains questionable political stance fuelled one of the greatest maverick music movements and genres the country's ever witnessed. Pre Thatcher madness. Luuuuverly! Wilco Johnson! Gentleman!

• January 12, 2013 5:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , as you know , they're really hard - pressed to let go of bands that are considered institutions in England (As The Feelgoods most assuredly are.). By rights , the book should have been closed on the Dr. Feelgood saga when Lee Brilleaux died. However , I heard some lineups that followed (And at least featured people who served under Lee , if not John , John , nor JOHN (That's a Dr. Feelgoodjoke.) ) were'nt bad. Gypie Mayo even spoke highly of the early post - Brilleaux lineup , which featured this young guy with a LOTTA 'tood that James Porter and I saw fronting a version of The Animals . We both looked at each other and said "WHY is'nt this guy Lee Brilleaux's successor?" - if he had to have one. IN ABOUT A YEAR or two, HE WAS.

Still , today , why bother? Unless the surviving memebers want to do a benefit for Wilko , as they should.
      Trash Freak said:

I'm with you there Barty. Though I've not seen 'em... There was no way I was payin £18 to see a band with Zero original members!

sideshow Barty said:

and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood'llp

• January 12, 2013 2:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm with you there Barty. Though I've not seen 'em... There was no way I was payin £18 to see a band with Zero original members!

sideshow Barty said:

and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood'llp

• January 12, 2013 1:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood',as it dont have any original members and to my mind aint doin nothing for the legend that once was.wilcos current touring 3 piece is legendary,it swings and its right,always a good show and a good nite out.....dont even get me started on the current touring '9 below zero'.

• January 12, 2013 12:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw him for the 1st time, last year, with the amazing Norman Watt-Roy (from Ian Durie & The Blockheads) on bass. Luckily, they were playing in a little local club 5 miles down the road.

Not long after Oil Ciy Confidential premiered, i randomly found it on the tv just before i was about to go to bed, so i had to stay up & watch it til the end... (about 2AM.. on a school night!) That's Rock'n'Roll for ya!

I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I did a quick search online & found this, which should let you watch the film online for free...: http://viooz.eu/movies/13885-oil-city-confidential-2009.html

John Battles said:

I've never seen it....Not the kind of thingthat makes the rounds in the states , even at Foreign Film Festivals....

• January 12, 2013 4:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very fortunate to see the Feelgoods with Wilko way back when - one of the great experiences of my teenage years - and what courage that announcement shows - the next time you see some washed-up hasbeens announcing their umpteenth farewell tour remember what those words will actually mean for the legend that will always be Wilko Johnson.

• January 12, 2013 4:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

a legend in his own lifetime,some great times,that staccato attack will forever be with me.

• January 12, 2013 2:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

very sad news.

• January 11, 2013 7:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never seen it....Not the kind of thingthat makes the rounds in the states , even at Foreign Film Festivals....But , I loved the trailer. Especially the part about Wilko flying a plane , even though he did'nt know how. Take THAT , Iron Maiden.  I met Gypie Mayo a couple of times , he spoke very highly about Wilko , as a Musician and as a person.

Trash Freak said:

If you've not already seen it, 'Oil City Confidential'  is a great documentary-film about Dr Feelgood, by Julien Temple ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Temple )

Well worth a watch, if you can find it.

• January 11, 2013 4:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you've not already seen it, 'Oil City Confidential'  is a great documentary-film about Dr Feelgood, by Julien Temple ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Temple )

Well worth a watch, if you can find it.

• January 11, 2013 12:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its a travesty. Wilco Johnson. Often copied, never bettered. Alot if not most British punk rock bands of the 70's til present day owe a great debt of gratitide to this great man. His attack and humility sets a great example. Very sad news.

• January 11, 2013 7:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Plate of shrimp...Wilko popped into my frame of consciousness a couple of times in the past couple of weeks.  The first was watching the same Top of the Pops rebroadcast posted here with some friends and later when reading an Ian Dury biography.

Wilko is being very inspirational for both his talent and fortitude. 

• January 10, 2013 3:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lee has this look on his face (Bottom still shot.) , like "First one's on you , mate.".

Wilko 's figured out what he's going to do for the rest of his life , which , tragically , is such a short time . I can't help thinking that , yes , when his work is done , here , he and Lee Brilleaux will meet again , in a pub , of course , and commence to work on some songs that will be too good for us to hear.

• June 11, 2016 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

HE'S STILL HERE , YEW BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHSTARDS.    Not you good people , his detractors.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel