Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: obligatory 'BEST OF 2012' discussion

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 17, 2012 2:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

King Kahn Sousanousaphone's Greatest Hits - "OH MICKEY , YOU SO FINE , YOU SO FINE , YOU BLOW MY MIND , HEY MICKEY!!" , "SHAREEF , HE DON'T LIKE IT . ROCK THE CASBAH ! ROCK THE CASBAH!", AND "I TOLD YOU DAMN HILLBILLIES STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY LAWN".

• December 16, 2012 1:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ty Segall's stuff, yes! Definitely. And The Mallard. Great record. Also loving the new one from Los Chicos.

• December 16, 2012 12:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's tough to make a "Best of" list, when I know there's still so much stuff released in 2012 that I should've listened to, but haven't yet.  Anyway, my Top Six Albums/EPs for 2012, in no particular order:

Atomic Suplex: Diamond Skull EP

Don Juan y Los Blancos: Poder Blanco!

Ty Segall Band:  Slaughterhouse

Delta Bombers:  The Wolf

J.D. McPherson:  Signs & Signifiers

And one of my new favorites, the Hideout's own Monofones and their Superhits album:

• December 14, 2012 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haven't heard any new stuff, but I just found this by a Montreal band, Grand Trine.

It's a moody, atmospheric rocker, Grand Trine - Say It

• December 13, 2012 11:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I second all that! ...the last three really did turn me on to some new groups

Mike said:

Best compilations of 2012

The 3 latest editions of the "Best of the GaragePunk Hideout"

Vol.7 "We Love Trash"
      Vol.8 "Supercharged Sounds"
      Vol.9 "Garage Monsters"

Amazing that there are now 9 volumes in such a short time. All packed with great tunes.
    • December 13, 2012 9:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

this is indeed a brooding monster of an album and one of the most played round 'ere.i gotta say i also enjoyed the blues explosion album,there aint no filler on that and the savage heart by the jim jones revue,thats some incendiary shit n'all.

IDON MINE said:

I'll have to say I was really taken by the NEVERMORES "Now more than Never" - no duds for me in this one. But 2012 was ripe with great releases. From the top my noggin as well. Maybe get to post more, once I'm of duty.

• December 13, 2012 3:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best compilations of 2012

The 3 latest editions of the "Best of the GaragePunk Hideout"

Vol.7 "We Love Trash"
      Vol.8 "Supercharged Sounds"
      Vol.9 "Garage Monsters"

Amazing that there are now 9 volumes in such a short time. All packed with great tunes.
    • December 13, 2012 2:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How could I have forgotten - Riot Fest , Chicago.

IGGY AND THE STOOGES - So fine to hear them with a GOOD sound system , for a change. Straight James was ON FIRE. Iggy The Schlong could do NO WRONG !

Jesus and Mary Chain - No early single sIDES , maybe one track from the first LP , if even.....But plenty of fuzz emanting from those Orange amps. Almost like a teen Garage band , at times.

Elvis Costello - Never was much of a fan , esp. not these days , but he stuck to the early stuff , and his band was Pub Rock as Hell.

Golgol Bordello - Sorry , did'nt get it.

White Mystery - Local sibling curly redheaded duo. Their Mom was at the Disco Demolition !

Only caught the tail end of their set . Sounded good.

Apart from the fact that I was on the guest list , and was still refused enrtry without a paid ticket, and missing Horton Heat because it took two hours to get there on The CTA , this was almost as good as The (abortive) Intonation Fest.

• December 12, 2012 3:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best BOOK (and just in time fer da holly-daze):KRAMPUS, The Yule Lord, by Brom

It's a book about, well, Krampus, a kind of Anti-Klaus.

Gorgeous artwork, too. Mike Mignola likes it, sounds like a must-have to me!

• December 11, 2012 6:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NOTHING dorky about making a list. I wish I couldthink of that many new albums I liked .

The Subsonics have a new one ? That's news to me. Seems I read it was in the works , a few months back.For that mattter, I did'nt know Tiger ! Tiger! (Buffi Aguerro's other band.) had ANYTHING out.

swt said:

I was a little disappointed with the new Oh Sees. I saw them live for the first time this year (on a bill with The Gories and Kid Congo Powers) and liked them a lot. But Putrifiers has too many slow ones for my tastes. I like Carrion Crawler/The Dream better.

Ty Segall was great on Letterman a few weeks ago:

I'm working on my own list for the paper. Will post it here when I'm done.

Alison said:

I'll be a dork and make a list:

1.  Ty Segall - Twins

2.  King Tuff - S/T

3.  Boomgates - Double Natural

4.  JC Satan - Faraway Land

5.  Ty Segall - Slaughterhouse

6.  Tiger! Tiger! - Cut Them Where They Bleed

7.  Digital Leather - Modern Problems

8.  Thee Oh Sees  - Putrifiers II

9.  Mind Spiders - Meltdown

10.  Ty Segall & White Fence - Hair

11.  Radar Eyes - S/T

12.  Subsonics - In the Black Spot

13.  Liminanas - Crystal Anis

14.  OBN IIIs. - S/T

15.  UV Race - Racism

2012 is the year of Ty Segall!! Best label: In the Red. Best State: California.  Best Country: Australia.  Best Videos: King Tuff.  Best Cover Album: The Velvet Underground & Nico by Castle Face and Friends. Best Blog: Get Bent!.  Worst Break Up: Bare Wires.  Most Overrated: The Men - Open Your Heart Lp. Biggest Disappointment: Gentleman Jesse - Leaving Atlanta Lp.  Biggest Weirdos: Goat.  Worst news: Norton Records Flood.  Best/Saddest Film: Better Than Something Jay Reatard. Most "punk" band: Pussy Riot.  Best Garage Fashion item: Pork Shop Buttons.  Most Anticipated Album Release: the Oblivians. Best Comic: Neil Hamburger. Best TV: BRGR TV.  Best Radio: Garage Punk Pirate Radio!!!

• December 11, 2012 3:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was a little disappointed with the new Oh Sees. I saw them live for the first time this year (on a bill with The Gories and Kid Congo Powers) and liked them a lot. But Putrifiers has too many slow ones for my tastes. I like Carrion Crawler/The Dream better.

Ty Segall was great on Letterman a few weeks ago:

I'm working on my own list for the paper. Will post it here when I'm done.

Alison said:

1.  Ty Segall - Twins

2.  King Tuff - S/T

11.  Radar Eyes - S/T

14.  OBN IIIs. - S/T

15.  UV Race - Racism

2012 is the year of Ty Segall!! Best label: In the Red. Best State: California.  Best Country: Australia.  Best Videos: King Tuff.  Best Cover Album: The Velvet Underground & Nico by Castle Face and Friends. Best Blog: Get Bent!.  Worst Break Up: Bare Wires.  Most Overrated: The Men - Open Your Heart Lp. Biggest Disappointment: Gentleman Jesse - Leaving Atlanta Lp.  Biggest Weirdos: Goat.  Worst news: Norton Records Flood.  Best/Saddest Film: Better Than Something Jay Reatard. Most "punk" band: Pussy Riot.  Best Garage Fashion item: Pork Shop Buttons.  Most Anticipated Album Release: the Oblivians. Best Comic: Neil Hamburger. Best TV: BRGR TV.  Best Radio: Garage Punk Pirate Radio!!!

• December 10, 2012 10:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

1.  Ty Segall - Twins

2.  King Tuff - S/T

11.  Radar Eyes - S/T

14.  OBN IIIs. - S/T

15.  UV Race - Racism

• December 10, 2012 8:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ORDER IS RESTORED IN THE KINGDOM. I JUST FOUND THAT LINK WRAY 2 45 SET , PICTURED ABOVE , AND A LITTLE CHEAPER THAN IT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN ON RECORD STORE DAY..... The stores are'nt to blame , but they're finding out only a finite amount of new singles , of previously VERY available material , are going to go for $11 a pop.

• December 10, 2012 2:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know - I only found out recently when I was at a friend's record store and he happened to have one. I'm pretty sure you can really only buy them from Chunklet. They are pretty classic Astro-Man material. The artwork and stuff is really cool as well. Highly recommended.

IDON MINE said:

SAY WHAT?? Didn't even hear of those coming out... so, thanks.

NOTE to all: And I'm spamming this thread, SORRY!

Greg Hanson said:

The two new Man or Astro-Man? 7"s are awesome! They are probably my favorite releases of the year.

• December 10, 2012 1:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lot's of stuff I've missed in this thread that I need to look for! Here's a few off the top of my head that I've enjoyed from this year.

The Normals - So Bad, So Sad LP on Last Laugh records

Great vinyl release of some Normals studio tracks from '78

Normals - So Bad, So Sad

Midnite Snaxxx - self titled Lp on Red Lounge Records

Been playing this a lot as well as their singles. Couldn't find a youtube vid off the new LP so here's a song off the 1st 7"

Midnite Snaxxx - Like Lightning

Dicks - Hate the Police 7" on 1,2,3,4 Go! records

Legit reissue for those of us who missed it the first time around and don't have $600 to drop on it.

The Shit - Dingleberry Fields Forever LP on Subsersive Records

The Shit - "Get Out"

• December 10, 2012 10:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best LP - "Bless This Mess" by Prima Donna.

While this album is not as good as "After Hours," I have to give Prima Donna credit for trying to expand their sound with their second release.  The title track is a great Bowie-esqe rip off.

Best Song - "Feral Children" from "Bless This Mess" by Prima Donna.

T-Rex guitars with a Gary Glitter drum beat.  What more could a glam rock fan ask for?

Best Show - Manitoba at Wavestomp.

This was a show that took place in a boat that sailed around Manhattan in the middle of the summer.  Manitoba is a band formed by Handsome Dick Manitoba, along with fellow Dictators Ross the Boss and J.P. "Thunderbolt" Patterson, and they play Dictators' songs.  The show in itself was great, but the really cool part was sailing around Manhattan and getting a great view of the NYC skyline.

Honorable mentions:  I'd just like to give a shout out to Prima Donna for their excellent show at Now That's Class in Cleveland, OH, last March, along with their other excellent show here in Pittsburgh last September at the 31st Street Pub.  Another shout out goes to Biters, who played here in Pittsburgh at the Hideout at the end of June.  I'd also like to give a shout out to my friend Bobby LaMonde, who put together a really cool T-Rex/Slider tribute show here in Pittsburgh that took place the day after Thanksgiving.

• December 10, 2012 1:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SAY WHAT?? Didn't even hear of those coming out... so, thanks.

NOTE to all: And I'm spamming this thread, SORRY!

Greg Hanson said:

The two new Man or Astro-Man? 7"s are awesome! They are probably my favorite releases of the year.

Here for the stir

• December 10, 2012 1:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, that one was way great! The Ills (of Hideout fame) put out a rad "16min -15 songs" record out...HERE.

Stanton Woods said:

Dan Sartain - Too Tough To Live

Here for the stir

• December 10, 2012 1:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, much to the shame of the public image, that is true... shame I SAY! No really, like you said, it's a good flick and very enjoyable. If you can, go see it at the big pictures, Dave.

Paranorman is a "kids movie" but I had a blast! No deep stuff either, but it's great to see someone go to the lenghts of stop motioning a feature these days. That alone made it very worth watching to me. And the creepy, eerie look of it. They got away with some pretty gross zombies, all done up in clay - for cuteness.

John Battles said:

I guess "Dark Shadows" did'nt do much at the box office. iT'S POSSIBLE , A LOT OF PEOPLE DID'NT HEAR ABOUT IT , I DON'T KNOW. It was billed as a straight up Comedy , which I thought would'nt work....But , it really is'nt , the Comedy and THE HORROR ELEMENTS ARE BALANCED OUT PRETTY WELL. It's not High Art , just a fun flick.

dave said:

Holy Christ, guys, I didn't even know about the Dark Shadows re-make, but you've made me want to see it! (haven't been to a movie since Pan's Labyrinth, so ya know 'ya done good')

Lately Burton's been getting a bad rep amongst reviewers, but I never know exactly what their beef is. Everything I've seen by him except for PeeWee has that Goth-y/geeky vibe, so what were they expecting.

(Alice Cooper had a funny cameo in Wayne's World [I know, everyone's seen it, but...], another goofy rock and roll romp.)

(I heard Penelope Spheris would never work with Mike Myers again, if she could help it)

Here for the stir

• December 10, 2012 1:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for that! This was done quite well and gives a good overview. Hell, they even talked to this "Anon Infiltrator guy" that thought he had it all figured out and got served by them big time (the name escapes me now...).

dave said:

Okay, I was thinkin' I hadn't seen a movie this year, but online I did, and it gets my vote as one of the best flicks of this year.

We Are Legion - The Story of the Hacktivists (Full Movie)

Lord, I' ve watched it 3 times this year (laughs).

Here for the stir

• December 10, 2012 1:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah! I also liked that one for sure! Collen is great. Did you get to check out SWEARIN'? Not related, but it kind of connects for me, don't know why.

Alex said:

LP

Colleen Green, "Milo Goes to Compton" (Art Fag)

Here for the stir

• December 9, 2012 12:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 8, 2012 9:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So I have had a couple of beers, and I have gone thru some of the records I enjoyed the most this year, and I hate to say it... but most of them are from newer bands. I mean, a lot of good records came out this year from some young kids that blew some of the older bands out of the water.

FIDLAR - ALL The EPs they had this year, all the single releases... I have had the chance to hear the new record and it is still enough garage punk surf to make your mouth melt.

Ty has been pumping shit out this year, and we all know that everything he did this year was great.

The Tough Shits?

Shannon and The Clams

Warm Soda

The Orwells? (I know Pitchfork kind of just creamed themselves about those guys)

Cool Ghouls

Straight Arrows

The Babies

White Laces (More Towards the post punk side)

Cold Showers (Also More Towards the post punk/Goth Side)

The Soft Moon

Gotta give it up for the guys in Tyvek and the new record...

Gotta give it up from the guy in Lace Curtains

The list would just get longer and longer, but I feel that is enough to kind of get the gist of were I was this year...

Oh, and The Get Wets - My home town heros...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel