Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Go ahead, tell me how much this pisses you off...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 15, 2010 8:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I figured somebody is going to bring this up anyway, so it might as well be me... http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirestory?id=11887440&page=1 BTW, I'm not trying to start an argument; in fact, I'm not even going to try to argue, since I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind. I'm just curious to see the response to this. Speaking for myself, I'm looking forward to this movie, because I am big fan of "The Sopranos." I'm in the middle of watching the series all over again via boxed sets that I've been buying on amazon, and I'm up to the fourth season (I just saw the Swingin' Neckbreakers' cameo at the Crazy Horse). I'm hoping it will be something darker and grittier, to distinguish it from "That Thing You Do," which is a favorite of mine. BTW, was there ever a real band called "The Twilight Zones"? I think that's a great name, and I'm surprised no one ever thought of using it before.
    • December 21, 2012 9:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dont know if you get BBC I-player in the rest of the world but if you do tonight is Slade night, including Slade in Flame as discussed on here, gotta be worth a look!

• December 14, 2012 2:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMmyuEIAPE

There you go JB, within five minutes you have all the accents mentioned, its the only UK programme that I could think of that has that many different accents in it.

John Battles said:

No , actually , that made a whole lot of sense , NOW THAT YOU'VE BROKEN IT DOWN LIKE YOU HAVE. When I was in High School , I had one friend from Bristol , one from London , and one from Sussex . He was the "Vyvian" lookalike in my first little band.Sometimes acted a bit like him , too. Then I knew a couple of other English people I met at work. I just thought of them all as having ENGLISH accents at the time , tho' , yes , one differed from the other, somewhat...... I don't even know that many people from The UK , here in Chicago. But , I grew up believing there were only a few variations on The English , or even the Scottish , Welsh or Irish accents. Of course , I was mistaken.

Mark George Harrison said:

The accent varies from town to town in the UK JB, the town 8 miles from me has a completely different accent to us. All the big cities have a different dialect and the smaller towns/villages near them have variations, you can pick the rough area someones from very easily here.

Only people from Newcastle would consider themselves Geordies, not even Sunderland or Middlesborough which are next to it are, they're from the north east.

The black country is Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc. but only people from Birmingham are Brummies, confused?? I am!

Moxie is a character from "auf wiedersehen pet', hes a Scouser, from Liverpool, the north west. Cant remember where his nick name came from. Its a good programme to watch to hear a lot of English accents. Pat Roach, aka 'Bomber" on the programme is from Bristol so you get all points of England covered. 

Bostin used to mean that something was good, and was used by Fuzzbox for their album for that reason, Bostin Steve Austin was also used, it was a Birmingham slang term.

Hope that helps, it probably doesn't, even living here I sometimes struggle with people if their accents are very broad, and then when you try to understand Aberdonians or someone from Devon! Help! subtitles please!
      John Battles said:

OK , YOU'VE KIND OF LOST ME , AND YET , I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN TO SAY. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD , BY ENGLISH PEOPLE , THAT PEOPLE THAT FAR NORTH , BLACK COUNTRY INCLUDED , WERE GEORDIES.  
      IF (AND WHEN) THAT WAS A GENERALIZATION , IT WAS'NT MEANT AS ONE.

TO FURTHER GENERALIZE : YOU'RE LUCKY IF YOU MEET AN AMERICAN THAT EVEN KNOWS NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS  IN ENGLAND HAVE DIFFERENT ACCENTS , AND BOTH DIFFER FROM LONDONERS. THAT'S ME GENERALIZING ABOUT MY COUNTRYMEN , BUT , IT'S TRUE , UNLESS YOU'VE TRAVELLED BRITAIN , TIP TO TOE (MAYBE AUSTIN VINCE WILL LET ME DO A GUEST SPOT AS THE "OUT OF IT AMERICAN TOURIST"ON ONE OF HIS ROAD TRIP SHOWS !) , YOU WOULD'NT BE AWARE OF THAT. OF COURSE , IT'S THAT WAY , HERE , TOO , BUT , I THINK WE THINK OF OUR COUNTRY AS HAVING HALF A DOZEN ACCENTS , INSTEAD OF GOD KNOWS HOW MANY.....

SO , IS "BOSTIN'" A VARIATION OF BIRMINGHAMSPEAK , THEN ? IT'S AN INNOCENT QUESTION , I REALLY DON'T KNOW. I ONLY KNEW THAT EXPRESSION FROM THE (UK) FUZZBOX LP. AND , "MOXIE" ? IS THAT AN ABBREVIATION FOR A WELL KNOWN TOWN?

IN THE US , MOXIE MEANS BALLS , AND /OR A BRAND OF SODA THAT I THINK IS STILL MADE IN VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES.

Bloody hell JB! you can't call someone from the 'black country' a geordie! Both as difficult to understand but a lot different. If you watch an old episode of 'auf wiedersen pet' to hear geordies (os, Dennis and Neville) and Barry (a brummie) you also get a scouser in Moxie and a 'cockney' in Wayne. A nice little mix of English dialects with a bit of German thrown in as well! 'Barry' (Timothy Spall) is actually a cockney in real life but his accent is really good, in fact its 'Bostin" as they say in Brum!

John Battles said:

Mark George , I almost forgot about the "Buddy Holly "album that turns out to be Richie Valens  !!!! THAT'S ALL KINDS OF WRONG . Maybe they could'nt get permission to actually use a Buddy Holly NUMBER (EXCEPT FOR A TITLE) , AND RINGO'S FORMER BANDMATE WAS A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM OWNING HOLLY'S BACK CATALOGUE. In any case , why not just show the record , but not play it , or say "Hey , This is the Richie Valens record I waited for."

It's not Rocket Surgery. I REMEMBER READING SOME REVIEWS OF "SLADE in "FLAME" " , complaining that it was'nt the latter day " Hard Day's Night" fans expected....But , maybe , it's that it WAS'NT what anyone had a right to expect that makes it a better film , today.

I just say , to anyone who's never seen it , look at it with an open mind. They were exposing their distaste with an industry that had opened so many doors for them , but , now, was showing them the door. They kept making good records. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent , but their early 80's "All guns blazing" comeback with Reading , "Slade on Stage " , "We'll Bring The House Down" , etc., took no prisoners , I don't think even their hardcore fans saw it coming. They almost became stars in America soon after, too , with "Run , Run Away" , but were'nt able to tour, in earnest , to capitalize on it's success. Rather, they refused to , Jimmy Lea , I think , was in a car crash , and they refused to tour, with a stand -in ,  until he recovered. 

I think the movie flopped in America , not because Slade were unknown. I knew 'em , and I was 10 or 11 years old , but , they did have a limited audience , and they fought harder than Bolan or Sweet to get ahold of a US following and KEEP it. It flopped because we don't speak Geordie ! Of course , today , Viz comics have proven a great boon to me in that department.

never seen the Roky film, shall have a look for it.

Stardust is ok for its time, took me a while to realise Ringo had been replaced with Adam Faith, with a limp from when he got beaten up in TBTD!

My favourite bit in TBTD is when David Essex picks up a Buddy Holly album and says he's waited ages to play it, puts it on the dansette and Richie Valens starts crooning Donna!

Slade in Fame was dark as you say JB, I remember it coming out at the time and Slade fans were really disappointed because it wasn't what they expected, it is as you say really well acted, might have a look on Amazon for a copy.

John Battles said:

The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 13, 2012 2:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , actually , that made a whole lot of sense , NOW THAT YOU'VE BROKEN IT DOWN LIKE YOU HAVE. When I was in High School , I had one friend from Bristol , one from London , and one from Sussex . He was the "Vyvian" lookalike in my first little band.Sometimes acted a bit like him , too. Then I knew a couple of other English people I met at work. I just thought of them all as having ENGLISH accents at the time , tho' , yes , one differed from the other, somewhat...... I don't even know that many people from The UK , here in Chicago. But , I grew up believing there were only a few variations on The English , or even the Scottish , Welsh or Irish accents. Of course , I was mistaken.

The accent varies from town to town in the UK JB, the town 8 miles from me has a completely different accent to us. All the big cities have a different dialect and the smaller towns/villages near them have variations, you can pick the rough area someones from very easily here.

Only people from Newcastle would consider themselves Geordies, not even Sunderland or Middlesborough which are next to it are, they're from the north east.

The black country is Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc. but only people from Birmingham are Brummies, confused?? I am!

Moxie is a character from "auf wiedersehen pet', hes a Scouser, from Liverpool, the north west. Cant remember where his nick name came from. Its a good programme to watch to hear a lot of English accents. Pat Roach, aka 'Bomber" on the programme is from Bristol so you get all points of England covered. 

Bostin used to mean that something was good, and was used by Fuzzbox for their album for that reason, Bostin Steve Austin was also used, it was a Birmingham slang term.

Hope that helps, it probably doesn't, even living here I sometimes struggle with people if their accents are very broad, and then when you try to understand Aberdonians or someone from Devon! Help! subtitles please!
      John Battles said:

OK , YOU'VE KIND OF LOST ME , AND YET , I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN TO SAY. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD , BY ENGLISH PEOPLE , THAT PEOPLE THAT FAR NORTH , BLACK COUNTRY INCLUDED , WERE GEORDIES.  

TO FURTHER GENERALIZE : YOU'RE LUCKY IF YOU MEET AN AMERICAN THAT EVEN KNOWS NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS  IN ENGLAND HAVE DIFFERENT ACCENTS , AND BOTH DIFFER FROM LONDONERS. THAT'S ME GENERALIZING ABOUT MY COUNTRYMEN , BUT , IT'S TRUE , UNLESS YOU'VE TRAVELLED BRITAIN , TIP TO TOE (MAYBE AUSTIN VINCE WILL LET ME DO A GUEST SPOT AS THE "OUT OF IT AMERICAN TOURIST"ON ONE OF HIS ROAD TRIP SHOWS !) , YOU WOULD'NT BE AWARE OF THAT. OF COURSE , IT'S THAT WAY , HERE , TOO , BUT , I THINK WE THINK OF OUR COUNTRY AS HAVING HALF A DOZEN ACCENTS , INSTEAD OF GOD KNOWS HOW MANY.....

SO , IS "BOSTIN'" A VARIATION OF BIRMINGHAMSPEAK , THEN ? IT'S AN INNOCENT QUESTION , I REALLY DON'T KNOW. I ONLY KNEW THAT EXPRESSION FROM THE (UK) FUZZBOX LP. AND , "MOXIE" ? IS THAT AN ABBREVIATION FOR A WELL KNOWN TOWN?

IN THE US , MOXIE MEANS BALLS , AND /OR A BRAND OF SODA THAT I THINK IS STILL MADE IN VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES.

Bloody hell JB! you can't call someone from the 'black country' a geordie! Both as difficult to understand but a lot different. If you watch an old episode of 'auf wiedersen pet' to hear geordies (os, Dennis and Neville) and Barry (a brummie) you also get a scouser in Moxie and a 'cockney' in Wayne. A nice little mix of English dialects with a bit of German thrown in as well! 'Barry' (Timothy Spall) is actually a cockney in real life but his accent is really good, in fact its 'Bostin" as they say in Brum!

John Battles said:

Mark George , I almost forgot about the "Buddy Holly "album that turns out to be Richie Valens  !!!! THAT'S ALL KINDS OF WRONG . Maybe they could'nt get permission to actually use a Buddy Holly NUMBER (EXCEPT FOR A TITLE) , AND RINGO'S FORMER BANDMATE WAS A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM OWNING HOLLY'S BACK CATALOGUE. In any case , why not just show the record , but not play it , or say "Hey , This is the Richie Valens record I waited for."

It's not Rocket Surgery. I REMEMBER READING SOME REVIEWS OF "SLADE in "FLAME" " , complaining that it was'nt the latter day " Hard Day's Night" fans expected....But , maybe , it's that it WAS'NT what anyone had a right to expect that makes it a better film , today.

I just say , to anyone who's never seen it , look at it with an open mind. They were exposing their distaste with an industry that had opened so many doors for them , but , now, was showing them the door. They kept making good records. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent , but their early 80's "All guns blazing" comeback with Reading , "Slade on Stage " , "We'll Bring The House Down" , etc., took no prisoners , I don't think even their hardcore fans saw it coming. They almost became stars in America soon after, too , with "Run , Run Away" , but were'nt able to tour, in earnest , to capitalize on it's success. Rather, they refused to , Jimmy Lea , I think , was in a car crash , and they refused to tour, with a stand -in ,  until he recovered. 

I think the movie flopped in America , not because Slade were unknown. I knew 'em , and I was 10 or 11 years old , but , they did have a limited audience , and they fought harder than Bolan or Sweet to get ahold of a US following and KEEP it. It flopped because we don't speak Geordie ! Of course , today , Viz comics have proven a great boon to me in that department.

Stardust is ok for its time, took me a while to realise Ringo had been replaced with Adam Faith, with a limp from when he got beaten up in TBTD!

My favourite bit in TBTD is when David Essex picks up a Buddy Holly album and says he's waited ages to play it, puts it on the dansette and Richie Valens starts crooning Donna!

Slade in Fame was dark as you say JB, I remember it coming out at the time and Slade fans were really disappointed because it wasn't what they expected, it is as you say really well acted, might have a look on Amazon for a copy.

John Battles said:

The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 13, 2012 6:37 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 11, 2012 7:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Little Steven is a good cat. I met him , he was very down to earth. He did'nt even want to talk about "The Sopranos" , he wanted my opinion as to why The Creation were'nt huge. I'm no Springsteen fan , and would have written him off as a square , too , but the reason he got into this Garage thing was , Richard and The Young Lions invited him to see them at The Cavestomp in 2000 , as they were friends from back when Steve WAS in Garage bands in New Jersey. He later stated that he did'nt know there was a "Scene" for this stuff , and it turned his head around to find that there was one.

MikeL said:

Thanks for being you;)

brotherkyle said:

Johnny DumAss said:
      One thing is for sure is that when I found out about Little Steven liking Garage music it was weird. I mean the Boss guitarist actually could possibly be kinda cool? No Way! I don't particularly like his music at all but whatever. I do wish they would make a movie about the Sonics or some band like that. Then they would have to deal with all the copyrights and stuff this way they can make all the money and who knows if they get a half ass popular song then they make even more.

A movie about the Sonics would be bad ass.

Little Steven is a square.
    • December 11, 2012 6:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 11, 2012 4:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 7, 2012 2:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 7, 2012 12:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 5, 2012 4:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 5, 2012 4:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, they were in Stardust as well and were joined by Dave Edmunds, believe it or not.

Not one mention of Slade in Flame, which I only watched aboute a year ago, which, for it's time, was bloody good!

And the Stray Cats in That'll be the day, cant remember if they made a cameo in Stardust as well? Any band with Mr Moon on drums needs a mention!

Would love to see a Roky Erickson film but any one who didn't know his story would think it was complete fiction.

Favourite doc of a band is Dig! Long live BJM and AAN!

• December 5, 2012 4:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not one mention of Slade in Flame, which I only watched aboute a year ago, which, for it's time, was bloody good!

And the Stray Cats in That'll be the day, cant remember if they made a cameo in Stardust as well? Any band with Mr Moon on drums needs a mention!

Would love to see a Roky Erickson film but any one who didn't know his story would think it was complete fiction.

Favourite doc of a band is Dig! Long live BJM and AAN!

• December 4, 2012 10:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

@ Diogo. I beg to differ.I personally knew Robert Gordon around that time. Elvis died in Aug of 77.  I never heard that version of the story. As I understood it, Fire was written & recorded during the Born To Run sessions & shelved. After Elvis died, Bruce took it off the shelf & offered it to Robert as a tribute to Elvis. I saw Robert play with Link Wray dozens of times back then & remember him playing the song live before it came out on record. The recording came out in early 78.

• December 3, 2012 5:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I have NO idea why Devito would have wanted the rights.....I think it may have been part of a package , if he bought the rights to a few books he REALLY wanted , he could sit on that one, or use it for a tax loss. But I don't know what the Hell I'm talking about.....

Good "Band" films , there've been some. I liked "The Runaways'' , I did'nt go in , expecting it to be completely accurate , not even close , after reading Cherie's heart - crushing book. I think we talked about that , some time back , tho'.    ''Bummer" was a good account of over - excess among Rock bands , and abusive behavior toward Groupies. You know , I have'nt seen "Breaking Glass" in almost 30 years , but , I remember it following the rise and fall of a "Punk" band , their ascent to fame , and their descent into drugs , egos and progressively crappier music. "RUDE BOY" is similar , because it was done without a script , telling a fictional story about The Clash , which was based on their past , and foretold their future. I saw both movies together in '80 or '81.
      I TRIED to watch "Velvet Goldmine" ....could'nt do it."Blast - Off Girls" was as close to a real Garage Punk movie as there ever was , but , I think we talked about that , earlier , too. I liked "That Thing You Do" , of course , they were'nt supposed to be Garage Punks , but  American Teens more gone on The Beatles than The Stones. THE STORY WORKS , BECAUSE THEY LOST IT AS SOON AS THEY HAD IT.

I'd give a special mention to the nearly - forgotten Fox TV "Elvis : The Early Years" series with Michael St. Gerard (Who also played Elvis in the inconclusive and insulting "Great Balls of Fire"), which follows Elvis AND his band , Scotty and Bill , on the road , and dealing with problems back at home. Special bonus points removed for portraying Sam Phillips as TOTALLY NORMAL , JUST FOR A CHANGE.

MikeL said:

As much as I like Danny Devito's work, I can't envision him making a movie based on "Please Kill Me," unless maybe he plans on making a documentary, which would make sense since the book reads like a documentary.  

I wonder if Devito hung out at CBGB back when he was working on "Taxi."  Maybe he and John Belushi did some blow or smack together at the place.

BTW, since that old link has been changed, here is a new link FYI...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/david-chase-recalls-teenage...

Enjoy.

John Battles said:

No. Have'nt heard about that CBGB's movie , though , I'll name drop just a bit, and tell you Sylvain Sylvain once told me that Danny Devito owns the film rights to "Please Kill Me". So I got on the phone and said , "Danny , the fuck you thinkin'? "Please Kill Me" is all interviews! How are they gonna get a script from that?".      PSYCH !!!!! I don't really know Danny Devito.

Since this is an older thread , I did'nt know what the connection was to The Sopranos or James Gandolfini.....Is there a rock band film coming out with several members of the cast? When I looked up the link , it said "Ten things you don't know about "Thriller"."(NOT your doing , MikeL.)

How about 10 things we DO know.

1. Vincent Price OWNS the album.

2. Michael sounded less like a little girl when he was TEN.

3."Beat It " contains a sped up imitation "Mississippi Queen"riff.

4. Eddie Van Halen's cameo proves , again , he may be one of the most dexterous guitarists of his ilk , as well as one of the most boring.

5. "The Girl is Mine'' is even worse than "Say , Say , Say".

6. Michael still had most of his original face on the cover.

7.IF i'D WRITTEN SOMETHING AS STUPID , AND AS CREEPILY SEXIST , AS "C.Y.T" , I WOULD NOT BE GOING HOME WITH A GRAMMY. " I want to love you , you love thing. You're just a love thing". Genius lyrics , I know , but , Chip Taylor , he was'nt.

8."Thriller " sold more copies than the combined populations or China , Russia and India because The Cramps were still in legal litigation with their label, and were forbidden to release anything at the time.

9. OK , that one , I made up. But , Jackson turned a Patrimony suit into a hit song. That's fucked up.

10.Quincy Jones would'nt let Vincent Price re-do the first take of the best part of the album , anyway , what Price , himself , called "That idiot laugh! HAAAAAAAH  HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!". Should have been a single - "Vincent Price "Thriller Rap " , minus the backing track. He was'nt even credited on the album.

MikeL said:

I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

Off topic:  As for "Heaven's Gate," visually it's a stunning movie.  As far as the story and the characters go, it left something to be desired.

BTW, has anyone here heard about a movie that's coming out next year about CBGB?  I'm friends with Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys on facebook (I am such a shameless name dropper), and he plays a cab driver who hates punk rock.  

dave said:

Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

While I agree with, well, all of Dana's criticisms, your points are right on target. It's the director who makes or breaks it, as long as the script and acting are solid. Best of luck to 'em.

(Off-topic: I've never seen Heaven's Gate, I've been told that it holds up better now-days)

Weird, just the other day, I was thinkin' about those Germs and Runaways movies that disappeared w/o a trace. And there was that Joan Jett/Michael Fox thing...

Do you have any fictional rock films that work?

• December 3, 2012 9:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As much as I like Danny Devito's work, I can't envision him making a movie based on "Please Kill Me," unless maybe he plans on making a documentary, which would make sense since the book reads like a documentary.  

I wonder if Devito hung out at CBGB back when he was working on "Taxi."  Maybe he and John Belushi did some blow or smack together at the place.

BTW, since that old link has been changed, here is a new link FYI...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/david-chase-recalls-teenage-love-of-the-rolling-stones-in-new-film-20121130

Enjoy.

John Battles said:

No. Have'nt heard about that CBGB's movie , though , I'll name drop just a bit, and tell you Sylvain Sylvain once told me that Danny Devito owns the film rights to "Please Kill Me". So I got on the phone and said , "Danny , the fuck you thinkin'? "Please Kill Me" is all interviews! How are they gonna get a script from that?".      PSYCH !!!!! I don't really know Danny Devito.

Since this is an older thread , I did'nt know what the connection was to The Sopranos or James Gandolfini.....Is there a rock band film coming out with several members of the cast? When I looked up the link , it said "Ten things you don't know about "Thriller"."(NOT your doing , MikeL.)

4. Eddie Van Halen's cameo proves , again , he may be one of the most dexterous guitarists of his ilk , as well as one of the most boring.

7.IF i'D WRITTEN SOMETHING AS STUPID , AND AS CREEPILY SEXIST , AS "C.Y.T" , I WOULD NOT BE GOING HOME WITH A GRAMMY. " I want to love you , you love thing. You're just a love thing". Genius lyrics , I know , but , Chip Taylor , he was'nt.

8."Thriller " sold more copies than the combined populations or China , Russia and India because The Cramps were still in legal litigation with their label, and were forbidden to release anything at the time.

9. OK , that one , I made up. But , Jackson turned a Patrimony suit into a hit song. That's fucked up.

10.Quincy Jones would'nt let Vincent Price re-do the first take of the best part of the album , anyway , what Price , himself , called "That idiot laugh! HAAAAAAAH  HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!". Should have been a single - "Vincent Price "Thriller Rap " , minus the backing track. He was'nt even credited on the album.

MikeL said:

I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

Off topic:  As for "Heaven's Gate," visually it's a stunning movie.  As far as the story and the characters go, it left something to be desired.

BTW, has anyone here heard about a movie that's coming out next year about CBGB?  I'm friends with Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys on facebook (I am such a shameless name dropper), and he plays a cab driver who hates punk rock.  

dave said:

Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

While I agree with, well, all of Dana's criticisms, your points are right on target. It's the director who makes or breaks it, as long as the script and acting are solid. Best of luck to 'em.

(Off-topic: I've never seen Heaven's Gate, I've been told that it holds up better now-days)

Weird, just the other day, I was thinkin' about those Germs and Runaways movies that disappeared w/o a trace. And there was that Joan Jett/Michael Fox thing...

• December 2, 2012 8:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

dave said:

• December 2, 2012 7:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

• December 2, 2012 5:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 2, 2012 5:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All I'm going to say is that David Chase is directing this movie, and it's based on his own story (He played in a garage band that literally never left the garage when he was a kid), so if you don't like it, he's the man to direct your rage at.  Yeah, I know Little Steven is heavily involved in this, but the director is the one who really makes the movie work, or not work for that matter (I just hope it doesn't turn into a Michael Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" disaster).  As for Dana, he gets angry about other things.  It's probably just his nature. 

Funny you should respond to this, because this movie will be released on Dec. 21.  I was thinking about mentioning this, but I decided to wait until it came out to see if it gets any response around here.  It was screened at a film festival in NYC to mixed reviews, so I'm not expecting overwhelming critical praise, nor do I expect this to be a huge box office hit.  Believe it or not, I mainly want to see it because of Chase, since I'm a big "Sopranos" fan.

dave said:

Oww! Tell it like it is!

Dana V. Hatch said:

Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.
    • December 2, 2012 4:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oww! Tell it like it is!

Dana V. Hatch said:

Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.
    • December 16, 2010 9:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First time writing on this forum and I must say it's interesting how you can see so much snobbery here. Some people have already decided it's going to suck because Little Steven, apparently a sell out who doesn't know what Garage Rock is, is involved. Personally, I love Garage Rock, I play in a Garage Rock band and my favourite artist is Springsteen. I can imagine pieces of brain scattered all over some keyboards and computer screens as some of you read this.

I think the movie has potential but I won't judge it before I actually see it.

P.S. - Springsteen's song "Fire" was not written for Robert Gordon. It was written for Elvis but then Elvis died and Bruce ended up giving it to Robert Gordon.
    • October 29, 2010 1:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now THAT would be a potentially awesome movie...the tripping Elevators VS. 60's redneck Texas and the cops, the insane power of their live show in its prime, bringing free-style acid-rawk to San Francisco (via Texan Chet Helms) when all the bands that are known for acid-rock were still playing good-timey folk, the Elevators sad self-destructive career choices, and drugs drugs drugs drugs...

SarahJayne said:
      They should just make it about the 13th Floor Elevators instead. Drugs, drugs, drugs, cops, rock & roll, Janis Joplin, drugs, crazy people, the Austin psych scene, drugs, cave dwelling, drugs, and drugs. All the bases covered right there.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel