Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What concerts did you attend recently or are on your list?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 28, 2011 2:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For some reason, my response to this thread ended up in the costumes thread.  I don't know how that happened.

Anyway, I posted before that I saw Ian Hunter last night, and he put on a really good show.  He played one of my favorite Mott songs, "Roll Away The Stone," along with "All The Young Dudes" and "All The Way From Memphis."  My only complaint is that he didn't play "Once Bitten, Twice Shy."

Next week, I'm going to see the Cynics at the 31st Street Pub.

• October 28, 2011 2:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw The Damned for the first time last Tuesday, great show

• October 26, 2011 5:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Eliza Carthy last Thursday, July last Saturday. Fuzztones/Gravedigger Five/Higher State this Friday!!
    • October 26, 2011 4:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw Milt Trenier , last night , at the release party for "Flying Saucers Rock'n'Roll - Best of Roctober Magazine" (Kind of like "The Joy of Sex", you might think it's dated , but you still might learn something.). He's now 81 years old , and still the master showman. The book contains my piece on The Treniers , which is where Rockn'Roll began , make no mistake. Then , I flew outta there to go see The Damned's recital of "Damned Damned Damned" and "The Black Album". This ridiculously early show was well underway when I arrived. In fact , they had almost finished performing their first album , the reason I went in the first place !

Surely , I thought , they'd close the show by playing the early stuff , but , no..... What I did hear sounded right on the money , despite WAY too much bass in the mix (What is this obsession with bass , anyway?) , and Dave Vanian's vocals turned down too low. "1970 (I Feel Allright") "was a highlight , The Captain summoning Ron Asheton's spirit successfully. The band took a break (The DJs played "Do It'' by The Pink Fairies , tho' I heard they were playing BOSTON , earlier.), and came back to do "The Black Album" , which contains great rockers like "Drinking About My Baby" , "Hit or Miss" and that one song that sounds like Killing Joke , BUT the Prog plodded on for WAY too long. I know this is some peoples' favorite Damned album , but , one of these tunes went on for nearly 15 minutes. I was kvetching because I'd missed most of what I came there for (Tho' I had no objection to hearing both.).

The encore - Eloise , Love Song , and I don't remember what else. My friend and I were calling out for the Garage covers they did as Naz Nomad and The Nightmares , "Action Woman" , "Pushin' Too Hard" , whatever.....     Would I recommend you see 'em on this tour ? Hell , yes , despite the somewhat odd pairing , but , get there ridiculously early.

• October 26, 2011 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, they really killed it. Great live band.
    • October 26, 2011 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rufus , That's a great name. Great photo , too.

Rufus F. said:
      Les Breastfeeders from Quebec.
    • October 25, 2011 5:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Les Breastfeeders from Quebec.
    • October 25, 2011 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah ,you know what , I'm friends with one of The Rip Offs' sig - others. I KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO be the gai - jin band at a festival in Tokyo , but , I did'nt know what it was called .

Hope it's a success. Our friends in Japan need to have a good time , now , y'know ? 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

It's the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball that goes on every year in Tokyo. There are a ton of Japanese garage bands like Guitar Wolf, Jet Boys, The Go Devils, Jackie & the Cedrics and like 30 more... for 2 nites, first show is an all-niter. They usually have a special guest from overseas and this year it's the Rip Offs.

John Battles said:

Yeah , including Roy Loney and The Longshots and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy ! Or , no , waitaminnit that's the Ripoff Records show , is'nt it?

P.S. -THE CYNICS , NOV. 3 , BOTTOM LOUNGE , CHICAGO. Your only excuse is that you live 100 miles away , or more.

The Rip Offs are playing with a slew of Japanese garage bands this weekend at the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball!
    • October 25, 2011 11:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just saw No Alternative, Lewd, d'Jelly Brains and The Naked Lady Wrestlers @Eli's in Oakland, CA last Sat. Great wayback machine trip!
    • October 25, 2011 10:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

on Friday : The Monsters / King Automatic / Urban Junior

thuesday 3 nov : Guitar Wolf

saturday 5 nov : The Kids

nice

• October 25, 2011 7:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball that goes on every year in Tokyo. There are a ton of Japanese garage bands like Guitar Wolf, Jet Boys, The Go Devils, Jackie & the Cedrics and like 30 more... for 2 nites, first show is an all-niter. They usually have a special guest from overseas and this year it's the Rip Offs.

John Battles said:

Yeah , including Roy Loney and The Longshots and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy ! Or , no , waitaminnit that's the Ripoff Records show , is'nt it?

P.S. -THE CYNICS , NOV. 3 , BOTTOM LOUNGE , CHICAGO. Your only excuse is that you live 100 miles away , or more.

The Rip Offs are playing with a slew of Japanese garage bands this weekend at the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball!
    • October 24, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 24, 2011 1:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw Los Straitjackets Saturday , with their new , improved Burlesque revue , and the Singing Merch Guy. There's only one original Pontani Sister in the act , now , but , collectively , they could play Vegas , IF Vegas was'nt Disneyland , now. IT WAS BAD ASS. And, good......

Tommorrow , Milt Trenier is doing a very rare Chicago gig (He still plays out like crazy for a Roctagenarian , but , mainly , in the suburbs.) at The Cultural Center 78 E. Washington (Washington and Michigan.) for the "Flying Saucers Rock'n'Roll" Book Release Party.

The book is a compilation of Roctober Magazine articles , inc. my Treniers feature from '97.

Then , I have to haul ass to The Metro to see The Damned . They're playing "Damned Damned Damned " and "The Black Album" in their entirety.

I also saw my friend , Patty Elvis , the Female Elvis Interpreter , with The Revellettes , a local Go Go Dancing troupe , and a B -52's cover group , Planet Claire. I don't even particularly like The B-52's , but they were very entertaining , and the two Female singers were @#!!$%gorgeous.   I did'nt say my priorities were straight , I just said I was.

• October 24, 2011 7:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 11, 2011 2:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man Or Astroman @ Blueberry Hill, St Louis.
    • October 10, 2011 2:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm going to see the Delta Saints this Tuesday and later this month : Lords of Altamont, Sonny Vincent and some French surf bands ! This sure will be a great month !

Clément

• October 9, 2011 7:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw Michael Monroe , last night , and it ROCKED LIKE FUCK !!!! If you're any kind of fan of Hanoi Rocks , and their Big Brother Bands , Dolls , Stooges , MC5 , you could do a whole lot worse than see Monroe on this tour. Especially since it's been 21 years since he did a proper tour of the states , but , this show was , BY FAR , the better of the two shows I've seen him give , and , seeing as how the first show is old enough to buy beer , now ,that's saying something. The band - Sam Yaffa (Hanoi Rocks , New York Dolls.) on Bass , Steve Conte (New York Dolls.) on Lead Guitar, The guy from Backyard Babies and Hellacopters (Sorry , Forgot his name .) on Guitar , and a Drummer who's probably been in some namedroppable bands , came on with an unrelenting , in yer face attack that's as close to seeing the real Hanoi Rocks as I think we'll ever get.

Monroe's voice has'nt lost a hitch since I first heard it in 1984 , only months before I got the news....

"Hey , John. There was a car crash in L.A. , AND Vince Neil died."

I'm thinking to myself , "Well , I'm over Vince Neil , but , I never wished him dead.". Later , I heard , of course , that Neil survived the crash , while Razzle , Hanoi Rock's (Second) Drummer did'nt. That meant an average Rock band would go on to reap millions , while a truly great and original band would call it quits (For about 20 years , anyway.).

But , unlike with Motley Crue , I remember thinking , when I first heard "Malibu Beach Nightmare"

, "Man , what a set of pipes this guy has !" . Speaking of  which , Monroe frequently supported his still - rail thin , yet muscular frame on something , above the stage , to where he appeared to be about my height (Which IS'NT tall a'tall.).

He was balancing himself , in boots , on plumbing fixtures that made a  barrier at the lip og the stage , maybe 4" around at best , moving from one end of the other like he had a safety net. He did'nt , of course.Then he'd raise his foot up , and over the mikestand , like Nuryev peaking on Aqua- Net. This man is an entertainer's entertainer. Like The Rat Pack storming the gates of The Grande Ballroom.The band worked their BALLS off , and so did he.       ROCK LIKE FUCK !!!!!             The set included pretty much all the new CD (STRONG MATERIAL , TOO.) , "Motorvatin' " , "Taxi Driver", "Malibu Beach Nightmare" , " Back To Mystery City", "Not Fakin' It" , "Dead , Jail or Rock'n'Roll" , "1970 ( I Feel Alright)", and the one - two punch of The Heartbreakers' "I Wanna Be Loved".

• October 4, 2011 8:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For all 0 - 3 of you who were planning on getting your heads blown off by The Cynics This Thursday at The Bottom Lounge in Chicago , the show has been postponed to Thursday , Nov. 3 . Absofriginlootely no info , except that all ONE of you who may have bought a ticket ,your ticket will be honored. Speaking, secondhandedly , of The Cynics , may I strongly recommend all 3 Nervebreakers reissue 45s ON Get Hip ?  "Get Hip...Strung out !! On nothing but music.".

• October 4, 2011 1:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw Bob Log III a little over a week ago. I waited months for that show, and it was worth it. I do believe it was my third time seeing him.
    • October 3, 2011 1:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dickies are always great , live. I EVEN SAW 'EM AT A "DANCE" CLUB , AND THE SOUNDMAN CRANKED EVERYTHING UP IN THE RED , BECAUSE , I GUESS HE WAS THE DJ , THERE , IN HIS SPARE TIME. LEONARD HAD TO ASK HIM TO TURN IT DOWN !

Ben Simon said:
      I recently saw The Dickies. And though it wasn't technically a concert, I saw Jack Grisham of T.S.O.L. give a reading from his new book An American Demon.
    • October 2, 2011 5:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently saw The Dickies. And though it wasn't technically a concert, I saw Jack Grisham of T.S.O.L. give a reading from his new book An American Demon.
    • October 2, 2011 4:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IMina ,iT IS TOO BAD , BUT , SOME SHOWS WERE'NT TOO EXPENSIVE , AND OTHERS , I WAS ABLE TO SEE FOR FREE , BUT , I DID'NT FEEL LIKE GOING OUT AS MUCH AS I NORMALLY DO , THIS SUMMER. : )

Mina said:
      I guess so haha. Too bad sometimes tickets cost so much money... other wise I'd probably attend more concerts. :)

John Battles said:
       Mina , I did'nt make it to alot of shows , this summer. I saw Black Oak Arkansas , Southern Culture on The Skids , Reverend Horton Heat , Kid Congo with The Jim Jones Revue (Kid was second billed , but ,not in my mind.) , and  ? and The Mysterians.... Next week is Mike Monroe from Hanoi Rocks , and The Cynics. The Damned are playing later this month. That's about it , for now. I guess that's plenty.
    • October 1, 2011 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mina , I did'nt make it to alot of shows , this summer. I saw Black Oak Arkansas , Southern Culture on The Skids , Reverend Horton Heat , Kid Congo with The Jim Jones Revue (Kid was second billed , but ,not in my mind.) , and  ? and The Mysterians.... Next week is Mike Monroe from Hanoi Rocks , and The Cynics. The Damned are playing later this month. That's about it , for now. I guess that's plenty.
    • October 1, 2011 1:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Bonnevilles

Hollowbelly

Reverend Beatman

D-66

Really pissed not going to be able to make it to London to see The Monsters & Mama Rosin in October, more and likely be decades before they come back again!

• October 1, 2011 11:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Fleshtones are one of the biggest r'n'r performers of all time. I saw them just once and can't wait them to cometo Barcelona again.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel