Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: CBGB's the movie

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 29, 2013 2:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dictators (Manitoba) had this posted on their Facebook page. Could be a real disaster of a film I'm sure. Maybe it'll be surprisingly good (probably not).

https://www.facebook.com/CBGBtheMovie

• April 8, 2013 12:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

mAYBE cHEETAH could base his character, in part , on Archie Bunker's sideline as a Cabbie in Queens. They do share teh same last name in real life.

• March 30, 2013 12:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This looks really interesting.  "Teenage Kicks" is one of my all time favorite songs.

Mike said:

Yea, I hear you two. And yea, I will most likely see it in someway, even if it's on Netflix. And MikeL, your promise of a drink in writing is a prize enough.

The movie though that I am really looking forward to is Good Vibrations about the Irish label of the same name. Here's trailer:

• March 29, 2013 4:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hahaaaha  what! Might be sooo bad it's good?

• March 29, 2013 4:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yea, I hear you two. And yea, I will most likely see it in someway, even if it's on Netflix. And MikeL, your promise of a drink in writing is a prize enough.

The movie though that I am really looking forward to is Good Vibrations about the Irish label of the same name. Here's trailer:

• March 29, 2013 3:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's the spirit, Rod:)

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

WELL, it's gotta be better than any movie about the 80s Sunset Strip.

• March 29, 2013 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WELL, it's gotta be better than any movie about the 80s Sunset Strip.

• March 29, 2013 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really have no idea what to expect from this flick.  I'm going to wait until it comes out and give it a chance then.  Even if the reviews are overwhelmingly bad, I'm still going to see it just out of curiosity.  BTW, Cheetah Chrome will be in this movie, and he will play a cab driver who hates punk rock.  I'm friends with him on Facebook, and he seems to be pleased with it, especially the actor who plays him.  When he was on the set, he posted a comment that said, "Been weird bumping into myself all day."  I really like Alan Rickman, so I am curious to see him play Hilly.  

BTW, I was waiting to see who would bring up this topic first, so congratulations on being first.  I have no prizes to offer, but I'll buy you a drink if I ever cross paths with you.

• October 2, 2013 11:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This post was edited by køpper at October 2, 2013 11:58 AM CDT

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 2, 2013 11:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Obviously we need to get video embedding fixed...

• October 2, 2013 1:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, yes!  Kopper, please!!!Wink

• October 2, 2013 7:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

has anyone seen Good Vibrations ? and any copies available here in the states

• October 7, 2013 3:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I watched this last night. I really reallyyyy didn't want to be one of "those" people who thinks a movie is going to suck before I see it, and point out ever single historical inaccurary....

But holy shit...i wasn't expecting much, but this movie is an absolute pile of garbage.

I'm not going to go into too much detail, but keep this in mind: They couldn't get liscencing to the ramones music, so the band onstage mimicking the Ramones are playing along to a song from Joeys 2002 solo album.

• October 30, 2013 3:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You saw The CBGB's movie? I had'nt heard anything about it since MIKEL mentioned Eugene O'Connor , the pissed - off , Punk - hating Cab Driver some six months ago.  I know what you mean about coming up with laundry lists of historical innacuracies , tho' Spike Lee beat these guys to the punch with "Summer of Sam", CBGBs Punk rockers with giant mohawks , liberty spikes , and green hair , in 1977 ! I asked my Sister - in - Law , who went to CB's , Max's , etc. , as early as 1976 , if she EVER saw a mohawk in New York in '77. She said MAYBE RICHIE STOTTS WAS WORKING ON HIS VERY FIRST ONE , BUT , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FLAT , TRAVIS BICKEL NUMBER. That's so weird about using Joey's solo material. I'd have rather just heard a band trying to approximate The Ramones sound , if they could'nt get the rights to their back catalogue , even though I like Joey's posthumous solo albums.

Maybe , just like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" , this movie will (Or has?) bomb (ed) so badly , that in later years it'll make the rounds at Mdnight Movies (Already an almost non - entity , I know...) , and "enhancements" like John Waters Odorama cards that smell like urine , will be passed out.

• October 30, 2013 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....ok , I looked up the Face Book Page. The movie is currently "On Tour'. I saw it listed in nearly every major market , except Chicago. Maybe we got washed by the blood of the lamb. One innacuracy you can't avoid , Iggy looks like he did in 1972 - 73. WTFity FUCK?!

CHEETAH IS A CAB DRIVER , CHEEEEEEETAH IS A CAB DRIVER , NOOOOWWWWW......

• November 7, 2013 9:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:
        I know what you mean about coming up with laundry lists of historical innacuracies , tho' Spike Lee beat these guys to the punch with "Summer of Sam", CBGBs Punk rockers with giant mohawks , liberty spikes , and green hair , in 1977 ! I asked my Sister - in - Law , who went to CB's , Max's , etc. , as early as 1976 , if she EVER saw a mohawk in New York in '77. She said MAYBE RICHIE STOTTS WAS WORKING ON HIS VERY FIRST ONE , BUT , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FLAT , TRAVIS BICKEL NUMBER. That's so weird about using Joey's solo material. I'd have rather just heard a band trying to approximate The Ramones sound , if they could'nt get the rights to their back catalogue , even though I like Joey's posthumous solo albums.

Yeah, it was just too much. I can understand changing certain thing to make a story more appealing or something...but the a lot of inaccuracies seemed to come down to just laziness. Like when Joey said "we have 4 new songs", but only named 3....you think SOMEBODY on set would've pointed out that "I don't wanna be learned/I don't wanna be tamed" is actually only one song. haha!

I agree with the idea of a band just imitating the ramones sound....it would've made a lot more sense to just get a track of someone hitting a 3 barre chord riff over a 8th note 4/4 beat. Somehow the idea of a 1974 Ramones playing "I got Knocked Down but I'll get Up" (with hilly looking on with a "these kids are goin places" expression on his face)  was just brutal to watch.

• November 7, 2013 9:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

crap...i accidentally quoted my reply....where's the editing button? It dissapeared. ah well

• November 7, 2013 11:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tyler said:

crap...i accidentally quoted my reply....where's the editing button? It dissapeared. ah well

One of the benefits of being a Premium member is having that "edit" button. ;)

http://garagepunk.com/payment/settings

This post was edited by køpper at November 7, 2013 11:16 AM CST

• November 7, 2013 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's actually pretty funny , tho' horribly wrong , about "I Don't Wanna Be Learned ,I Don't Wanna Be Tamed" being written into the script as being ONE song.  The idea that Kristal would have even said The Ramones were going places in 1974 , when , he no doubt had a LOT of reservations , the most famous quote about their first gig being his , "No one's gonna like you guys , but , I'll have you back.".

• November 8, 2013 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW , Tyler , do you know what the second and last - ever movie (Barring documentaries) The Ramones EVER appeared in was ?

"Car 54 , Where Are You?". I refused to see the movie when it came out , because I love the TV show too much. Besides , it came and went in a day or two , or so it it seems. But , when it came on TV , I watched it out of morbid curiosity. Fortunately , I taped it. Any movie with David Johansen , Fran Drescher and original cast members , Al Lewis and Nipsey Russell , can't be ALL bad. Imagine my surprise , seeing The Ramones , playing at what appeared to be the real CBGBs (A good 15 years after the bands' last real gig, there.). I guess that's still a pretty well - kept secret , tho' I remember Joey and Marky talking about promoting it in Times Square , I don't remember them mentioning they were IN it.

• November 9, 2013 12:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if my retraction does'nt show up , here , it's definnitely a movie set , and not CBGB in this scene. You can see David Johansen body - surfing.

• November 10, 2013 11:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another retracton.....I don't think approximation is a real word. It just seened to fit. I remember the "Car 54" movie getting a few billboards at the train station platforms in Chicago , and playing the last remaining Dollar theatres , but , again , probably just for a weekend. Johansen does a credible re - invention of the Gunther Toody character , only saying "OO OO" ONCE ,AND ,WELL , You'd just have to see it..........

• November 20, 2013 8:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Perhaps I should look into becoming a premium member is the new year. haha.

John Battles, I did not know that about car54! cool! For some reason I thought you were going to say that science fiction movie Johnny had an acting spot in called "Stranded".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTVIMkab-vM

Looks like a real winner! haha!

• November 20, 2013 6:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tyler , Now , THAT one I've never heard of. Johnny was a great fan of Sci-Fi , but, I got the feeling , after "Rock'n'Roll High School" , he'd given up on acting or appearing in movies , at all......I'm sure this "Stranded " would have been seen by even fewer people than the "Car 54" movie , at the time.

D'yer ever see "Mosquito" ? It's a movie about , yep, giant mosquitos descending upon a camping community. It stars Gunnar Hansen and Ron Asheton , with a cameo by Margaret Dollrod. The only other thing about it I can recommend is that the animation/SFX for the giant mosquitos is actually pretty good.

The only other movie appearance I can think of , by one of The Ramones , was Dee Dee in "What About Me"(With Johnny Thunders , Jerry Nolan , Judy Carne and Jeanette Neapolitano - is that her name?- from Concrete Blonde , also the director. Excepting the latter , they all have pretty small parts.).

Dee Dee's song "What About Me " does'nt appear in the film , just like his song "Love Kills" was deep - sixed for an unrelated , inferior song by the same name , by Joe Strummer , in "Sid and Nancy".

• November 21, 2013 7:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have never seen Mosquito! Sounds like a Mystery Science Theatre thing! Is it? Sounds cool!

I’ve never seen What About Me! Love that song though. He did it with his Chinese Dragons band right? I know he re-recorded another version of it too for his “hop around” album in 2000.

Joey Ramone made a little appearance in the Canadian movie “hard core logo” in 1996. Also, Dee Dee was in the AWFUL ON PURPOSE movie “Bikini Bandits” . He played the Pope. Haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iicgYO2SNV4

Here’s the theme song for it…by Dee Dee and his wife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz2yGwoa1Zc

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel