Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Does a book on 60s Frat/Party Rock exist?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 14, 2012 11:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

After readin' Dave Marsh's Louie Louie fer what might be to the point of memorization, riddle me this crazy-kids: Does a book on 1960s Frat-rock &/or party classics, such as "Hanky Panky", "Surfin' Bird", "Tequila", "Double Shot (of My Baby's Love)" & natch the aforementioned cream of the heap, exist in the wide world of sorts?

• December 12, 2012 2:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Guise,

wasn't there a book published in the 80s, called something like "Teen Fairs and Armory Halls"?

Can't find info at the moment, but it was mentioned in the liner notes of (I think) Highs in the mid-sixties, [northwest, v. 2]

• September 7, 2012 7:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very good read. As close to a Frat Rock history book as I've encountered. However , too much Grunge , not enough great modern NW bands like Girl Trouble and Dead Moon.

Wipeout! said:

Ah yes, it's almost a crime cuz that very book has been sittin' on my to-read pile fer some time (bought it over a year ago, shame on me) but thanks fer remindin'...lookin' forward to it even more now!

Jersey City Mods said:

We're not aware of an all-encompassing book on the subject, but Peter Blecha's Sonic Boom! is a very detailed, in-depth book on the Northwest scene.  Although it's timeline goes up to grunge, the main emphasis is on 1962-1966.  Learned a lot from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Boom-History-Northwest-Rock/dp/0879309466

• May 15, 2012 6:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Geez wowzers, Howie! Thanks a boat load of congrats on the laundry list there!...I'm a huge Kicks fan but sadly have come up empty on my attempts to snag any ish's of Lost and Found...as far as the book wreck-o-mendations, all yeses and all added to my hunt (tho I do already have the Memphis-based book)...yer the best...now time to put that library degree to real work and dig 'em up!

Howie Pyro said:

hey...in a sense yeah, though not literally there's a heapin' dose of what you're lookin' for in a few books (mainly small press but still findable if you really wanna search) like Flip Side by Jim Oldsberg, We Gotta Go Now (a home made personal account of one guy's band/experiences) by Dennis A Blackledge, Yes, Phoenix Had Music In The Sixties by Edward Wincentsen, A History Of Garage & Frat Bands In Memphis 1960-75 by Ron Hall, Land of a Thousand Dances by Reyes & Waldman, Savage Lost by Jeffrey Lemlich all deal with or touch on the subject in a big way...there's loads more plus the greatest 2 information sources on this earth: Kicks Magazine (which turned into Norton Records) considered to be the greatest rock n roll zine of all time AND Lost and Found, massive issues (maybe 5 or 6 were published) by a young Deke Dickerson & others are still now,  shocking in their sheer tonnage of info on that & close subjects, i read 'em over & over all the time since the 80's. And of course the hundreds of other 80's-90's garage oriented fanzines, which i will, one day, make a list of...

• May 15, 2012 6:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah yes, it's almost a crime cuz that very book has been sittin' on my to-read pile fer some time (bought it over a year ago, shame on me) but thanks fer remindin'...lookin' forward to it even more now!

Jersey City Mods said:

We're not aware of an all-encompassing book on the subject, but Peter Blecha's Sonic Boom! is a very detailed, in-depth book on the Northwest scene.  Although it's timeline goes up to grunge, the main emphasis is on 1962-1966.  Learned a lot from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Boom-History-Northwest-Rock/dp/0879309466

• May 15, 2012 11:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey...in a sense yeah, though not literally there's a heapin' dose of what you're lookin' for in a few books (mainly small press but still findable if you really wanna search) like Flip Side by Jim Oldsberg, We Gotta Go Now (a home made personal account of one guy's band/experiences) by Dennis A Blackledge, Yes, Phoenix Had Music In The Sixties by Edward Wincentsen, A History Of Garage & Frat Bands In Memphis 1960-75 by Ron Hall, Land of a Thousand Dances by Reyes & Waldman, Savage Lost by Jeffrey Lemlich all deal with or touch on the subject in a big way...there's loads more plus the greatest 2 information sources on this earth: Kicks Magazine (which turned into Norton Records) considered to be the greatest rock n roll zine of all time AND Lost and Found, massive issues (maybe 5 or 6 were published) by a young Deke Dickerson & others are still now,  shocking in their sheer tonnage of info on that & close subjects, i read 'em over & over all the time since the 80's. And of course the hundreds of other 80's-90's garage oriented fanzines, which i will, one day, make a list of...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel