Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Age Ole Question; Beatles or Stones?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 16, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kinda funny age ole question

• May 31, 2012 9:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Like most bands I like, the first recordings are the best and the early German, leather clad Beatles were great as they ripped off American rock-n-roll just as the first few Stones records were brilliant as they ripped off American blues and rock-n-roll.  The issue for me stems from the later recordings of both bands.  Not a fan of anything after Some Girls or Revolver, but i'm a snob.  The Stones remind me of a really successful athlete who stays around past his prime and embarrasses him/herself as their skills diminish.  Thankfully Yoko came and broke up the Beatles before they became Wings. 

• May 30, 2012 6:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I missed it. Heard it was good....Surely it's on You Tube , tho'. Jeff Beck auditioned for The Stones , after Mick Taylor quit. I don't think he wanted to be in The Stones. He probably went in , just to humor them. Apparently there was a row. Imagine ! There's one track from that session that's pretty good. 

Alison said:

Did you guys see Jagger on Saturday Night Live last weekend?  He played a with the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire and sang a silly song with Jeff Beck on guitar.  Pretty entertaining.

• May 29, 2012 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, i thought so too, and while I didn't care for the lyrics of his "Jeff Beck" number, I thought his delivery was good though, better than how he sounds on record these days (unless it's rerecorded vocals of old unreleased 70s numbers.  He sounds pretty good there too.)

Alison said:

Did you guys see Jagger on Saturday Night Live last weekend?  He played a with the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire and sang a silly song with Jeff Beck on guitar.  Pretty entertaining.

• May 29, 2012 2:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like The Beatles, but love The Stones! I feel The Stones have a bigger impact on garage rock. I love every record up to Emotional Rescue. Even there stuff after that is still cool. The Beatles in my opinion were too goodie goodie in the beginning then got very random later. I know the Beatles changed rock-n-roll (and I do like there records) but so did The Stones and I feel The Stones stuck to there roots. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to rock. Prob why I love garage rock. Straight forward Rock-n-Roll baby!

• May 29, 2012 10:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Rolling beatles

• May 28, 2012 9:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• May 28, 2012 6:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beatles usually hide under stones,

But when they come out from under,

They can give you a nasty bite.

True!

• May 26, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like both, but the Stones get the edge since I can't think of anything the B's did that I would consider "garage" or "punk".  On the other hand, Get Off My Cloud by the Stones was so inspirational to what we support here in The Hideout.  The B's may have lived the lifestyle, but their music leaned more towards pop.

• May 26, 2012 9:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

You say ya want a revolution...

• May 24, 2012 12:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beatles, but I'm a Stones fan, too. I heard an interview with Mark Hertsgaard, the author of A Day in the Life several years ago--one of the best books about the Beatles. He was one of the people who got access to the EMI tape library when they were putting together the Anthology and his book came out around that time. Someone asked him if would write a book about the Stones now that he had written a book about the Beatles. His answer was something to the effect that the Stones were a great band but the Beatles transformed the culture. I thought that pretty much summed it up. The Stones released some great albums and they had a great influence on music, but the Beatles were operating as much on a different level.

• May 24, 2012 12:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beatles or Stones??? that's easy! BEACH BOYS!!

• May 24, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would have to say the stones hands down

• May 22, 2012 11:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't mind me. I'm just old and cranky. Now get off of my lawn.

• May 22, 2012 10:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey thanks. If you hadn't just taught me that opinions don't matter, I might have had another one.

swt said:

Not true. I grew up in the 60s listening to and loving both and so did most the people I knew. I never even heard this either/or absolutism until nearly 20 years after The Beatles broke up.

Now that I'm older, I like The Animals better than either.

RJFait said:

It's funny that you ask this. I've always said, there are 2 kinds of people, Beatles and Stones, and they don't mix well. I am definitely Stones, my wife is Beatles. If only I'd asked 11 years ago...

• May 22, 2012 10:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not true. I grew up in the 60s listening to and loving both and so did most the people I knew. I never even heard this either/or absolutism until nearly 20 years after The Beatles broke up.

Now that I'm older, I like The Animals better than either.

RJFait said:

It's funny that you ask this. I've always said, there are 2 kinds of people, Beatles and Stones, and they don't mix well. I am definitely Stones, my wife is Beatles. If only I'd asked 11 years ago...

• May 22, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If I had to choose I'd go with The Beatles. Though I love (Brian Jones era) Stones.

Bob Spitz does a good job covering the early years of the Beatles (Ringo doesn't even appear until about half way through, and the book is 1000+ pages). They were definitely a lot rougher than their Fab Four image. Great stories about John bangining 15 year old twins, Brian Epstein having to get doctors to deal the with the lad's VD, and Paul having to leave town to avoid the angry father of a girl he knocked up. Good read!

• May 22, 2012 4:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can I vote for The Kinks?

• May 21, 2012 10:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got a copy of Big Beat '64 from the video beat and was blown away that every band performing was raising the bar for the next band. The Beatles came out and seriously showed why the were there batting clean-up. So yeah, it's be the Beatles. The savage young Beatles especially.
    • May 21, 2012 8:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It depends what I'm in the mood for.

• May 21, 2012 6:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RIGHT ON!!

DEEZEN said:

Some like the Beatles, some like the Stones, but we all love the Kinks!

• May 20, 2012 12:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's great. This was many , many years ago ,like , more than 25 years , that I'd read Lemmy saying he also saw The Beatles in Hamburg. It's not improbable , I guess....We yanks are not so vain that we don't have to be reminded you could fit England and Germany in Texas and have room for a few tax shelters.

• May 19, 2012 11:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like the stones music better...

Here is the actual excerpt from Lemmy's bio book.  

And I can vouch that the softest feller in Liverpool is prolly gonna split the melon of most Londoners (except in east London)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel