Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Your favourite local garage punk band?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 12, 2012 9:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So, bands local to you. Signed or unsigned, current or past?

Mines would be The Kosher Pickles from Glasgow, Scotland.

• January 21, 2013 8:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

At the end of last summer I saw Magic Trash at the Redwood in downtown Los Angeles. I'm gonna have to say they became my favorite local garage punk band that night. http://magictrash.bandcamp.com/
    • December 24, 2012 10:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hell , Yeah ! The Friggs were great. Only saw 'em once. They came back later , opening for The Selecter. I was MANY years over the Two - Tone thing , and figured their set would get cut short.

G. Wood said:

The Friggs, from NY, I guess. Or Palmyra Delran's band. They/she are Hideout members, but not very active, I think.

• November 18, 2012 8:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great music. If only there were any bands like this within 50 miles of the stix I live in , sigh...

• November 13, 2012 12:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In Brooklyn/NYC, Graveyard Lovers, Coach N Commando, and The Othermen are excellent.

• November 6, 2012 3:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's my favourite garage band from my hometown Tübingen, Southern Germany.

Los Franco Neros

Actually, nowadays it's just The Neros without their singer who's on maternity leave right now.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• October 6, 2012 5:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NICE THREAD.   Chicago calling. Hmmmmm.

My favorite , of the last 25 years , was/is The Waste Kings. They sure laid to "Waste " any and all who fancied their chances. Being comprised of past and present members of The Sapphires , God's Acre , Crown Royals , Sol - Reys , and others who were popular , or , at least , revered at the time(Saxophonist Ken Vandermark WAS the Chicago music scene for about 5 years , or so it seems .), and two singles on Estrus (And a third on another label.), still could'nt get 'em arrested in the Grunge era. If you liked the Heavy Garage , they would have been the band for you , but , alas , they never put out a long player. Their offshoot band , Crown Royals did two great Funk (As in Meters, JBs...) Instrumental releases on Estrus , though.

Of the MAYBE just over 12 other Garage or Garage - based  bands I've see surface , here , since 1987 - Cryptones , Crookshanks , Goldstars , Fang Beach , Sindells , Power Knobs , Dyes , Bama Lamas , Hoodoo Hodown , Havox , and Lava Sutra.....my favorite was a one - shot all - Garage set by The New Colony Six.

• October 6, 2012 4:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bergen, Norway:

Past: The Tranceplants was the band that, together with the Oblivians, turned me on to Garage Music as a teenager in the nineties. They released two cds and a 7" of great psychobilly/punk/whatever as well as being an awesome live band. Rumours has it they're currently back together recording a new record. Sadly no live footage on youtube.

They mutated into the equally great sixties punk cover band The Better Men Than You:

Present: The Scumbugs. Every song they make seems to contain everything that's great about rock'n'roll. Check them out at the Hideout.

• September 13, 2012 2:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For us is The Revox from Switzerland. Cool surf-raw-rock'n'roll

• August 13, 2012 4:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://youtu.be/7f31u0lmAJI This is a local band from Bournemouth, England there just starting to put there music out there. Really cool guys 

• July 23, 2012 4:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you sir, you're too kind! Can't wait to rock all over Hinckley again soon!!!x

Trash Freak said:

THE MOBBS! http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/TheMobbs

Fellow East-Midlanders (England), raucous, retro, rocketfuelled Britishness, like the Kinks on Crack! Great live.

• July 12, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • Untitled

The Friggs, from NY, I guess. Or Palmyra Delran's band. They/she are Hideout members, but not very active, I think.

• July 12, 2012 4:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My (Brendan, of The Pygmies [I specifiy this because a few of us use this profile])Favorite around Alberta (Canada) is definitely The Ketamines.

Check them out and other great bands on the monster garage label Mammoth Cave Recordings, out of Lethbridge, Alberta (Canada)

Here's a great video for the first song off their full length LP Spaced Out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkG64thS9VU

• July 12, 2012 10:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As Portsmouth is "my city", and the only Garage band to come from there (of any note) would be the Green Hornets, but the Vendetta period. After that they were a little too "pop" for my taste.

• July 12, 2012 9:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

In Toronto, some of my current favorites are the PowWows, Evil Eyes, Leather Uppers (who just played a show recently, so I guess they are current?), Primordials, BBQ (now lives in Toronto), .... all I can think of for now.

Ottawa and Montreal have better "garage" bands. Toronto seems to have better punk/ hardcore/ metal bands.

• July 12, 2012 9:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Understanding that this is my band account for Thick Shakes... I think I would pick

Radio Control from Boston, MA, or Triple Thick (Who are on the Hideout, I believe).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel