Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Chicago B-Fest 2013 is coming up soon in January - Any submissio

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 30, 2012 1:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The guidelines are pretty much set here:

www.b-fest.com

This is likely the longest-running existing festival of bad film that exists. At least of the 24-hour marathon category open to the public. I've gone for the last 12 years and never been disappointed. Last year we sponsored Ted V. Mikels' 'Astro-Zombies', which, much to the audience's chagrin was played 3rd in the lineup. So hot.

Anyways... I want to select a similar caliber film to sponsor for this coming year, and although I have several potentials in mind, I'm open to suggestions. If you happen to know of a source for film rather than DVD versions, I would be greatly appreciative. A huge part of the charm of B-Fest has been the reliance upon film prints, not DVDs, although they recently acquired the tech for DVDs. For me at least - anyone can get a DVD, to watch a film takes real effort!

Thanks to anyone willing to contribute thoughts.

B

• August 29, 2012 6:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah! Coffin Joe was supposed to make an appearance at The Chicago Underground Film Festival ABOUT 10 years ago. Some say he's a sicko , some say he's an Artist. They could both be right.

byronne said:

I've been pushing for any one of the Brasilian 'Coffin Joe' series - seriously messed up films that would give any b-flickster a case of the heebs!

John Battles said:

Then , of course , there's Jack Hill's Karloff films , made for the Mexican market , "Snake People " , "Sinister Invasion", etc. Karloff's parts were shot in the states , and , as we was dying from Emphysema , he is only shown propped up or lying down. Hill told me , though , that still being able to work is what gave Boris the will to live.

John Battles said:

UMMM , THEN THERE'S "Dr. Terror's Gallery of Horrors" (Not to be mistaken for the cool Cushing/Lee flick , with five short stories...though it does have five short stories , shot on a soundstage . Neither Lon Chaney , Jr. nor John Carradine (Both well past their prime , but still able to turning a good performance with the right material.), nor two vampires (One being a Dracula that resembles GG Allin.) , nor a Jonathan Harker who takes revenge  on Drac by (Very briefly ) turning ino a werewolf , can savethis sinking ship. Do I love it ? Better know it.

Blood of Dracula's Castle - Early Al Adamson shlock horror. Dracula (Alex D'Arcy) and his Bride settle in modern California (Horrors !!) and have a giant hunchback servant and a Butler played by John Carradine (Huh?) do all their shit work. A subplot about a werewolf slumming at Falconrock (Castle Dracula) is pretty funny , but , usually deleted from existing prints....The storyline (?) resembles the Count Yorga picturess , though it was released in 1967.

• August 29, 2012 10:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been pushing for any one of the Brasilian 'Coffin Joe' series - seriously messed up films that would give any b-flickster a case of the heebs!

John Battles said:

Then , of course , there's Jack Hill's Karloff films , made for the Mexican market , "Snake People " , "Sinister Invasion", etc. Karloff's parts were shot in the states , and , as we was dying from Emphysema , he is only shown propped up or lying down. Hill told me , though , that still being able to work is what gave Boris the will to live.

John Battles said:

UMMM , THEN THERE'S "Dr. Terror's Gallery of Horrors" (Not to be mistaken for the cool Cushing/Lee flick , with five short stories...though it does have five short stories , shot on a soundstage . Neither Lon Chaney , Jr. nor John Carradine (Both well past their prime , but still able to turning a good performance with the right material.), nor two vampires (One being a Dracula that resembles GG Allin.) , nor a Jonathan Harker who takes revenge  on Drac by (Very briefly ) turning ino a werewolf , can savethis sinking ship. Do I love it ? Better know it.

Blood of Dracula's Castle - Early Al Adamson shlock horror. Dracula (Alex D'Arcy) and his Bride settle in modern California (Horrors !!) and have a giant hunchback servant and a Butler played by John Carradine (Huh?) do all their shit work. A subplot about a werewolf slumming at Falconrock (Castle Dracula) is pretty funny , but , usually deleted from existing prints....The storyline (?) resembles the Count Yorga picturess , though it was released in 1967.

• August 12, 2012 2:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• August 12, 2012 2:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 4, 2012 3:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I gotcha. There are a lot of movies, like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'' , that are so loveably putrid , they need to be seen in such a setting , but , may not fit the bill ,as they're not Horror or Sci - Fi related. Of course , you could say "Mars Attacks" fits the requirements , though it is'nt that old.  Looks great  on paper , but , a colossal waste of time on the screen......

If there's movies that can't be found on film , but would be acceptable on DVD , Laurie's Planet of Sound is a very good source.  

• July 30, 2012 9:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It IS the same thing - they've been hosting it at the Norris Center at Northwestern for like 30 years! 

Such a great time - 24 hours straight of bad movie goodness with constant audience participation and general mockery.

• July 30, 2012 8:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I HAVE TO ADMIT , I HAVE'NT HEARD ABOUT THIS IN A LONG TIME. I KNOW THERE USED TO BE ONE IN EVANSTON , AT NORTHWESTERN. NOT THE SAME THING?

I'd suggest you try to get (drumroll , please) mummy and the curse of the jackal , A*P*E ,

Dracula Vs. Frankenstein , The Alien Factor , others....Sorry , I'll think of some more.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel