Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Online John Peel Archives

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 6, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Any other John Peel fans? I just came across this and can't believe I didn't see it sooner.  TheSpace.org is hosting representative pieces of his massive collection of records, recording sessions, radio shows, photos... really well done.  His family is curating the collection, adding 100 vinyl entries a week.  (The total vinyl collection is around 25,000 LPs, 40,000 7"s, and uncounted CDs, cassettes, digital, reels, you name it.)  Photos and video is updated regularly, too.  It was originally only going to run through October, but it sounds like they might leave it up a bit longer; at any rate, it's definitely worth checking out before it's gone.

-->The John Peel Archives Online<--

John's Home Studio

• October 20, 2012 1:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the great link, started to listen to peelie mid seventies on bfbs germany.

he was the bringer of good music to me and formed my musical future.

got about 200 music tapes of the shows between 1980 and 1985.

sadly i cut out the spoken parts to fit a show on a c90 tape, shame on me.

• October 15, 2012 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great site! Thanx for sharing.

• October 12, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can't figure the site out.. for each letter I can only seem to see the first shelf of records per letter.. A section for example only goes from The A's to Adam and the Ants.. is there a way to see more or have they only archived one section per letteR?

• October 6, 2012 4:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He is a Legend, no doubt! 

Next Thursday (the 2. Thursday in October, as his last transmission) i believe, is suppose to be „John-Peel-Day“. A day to be remembered!

Recall lot of people and myself in Berlin listen to his Broadcast and recording on Tapes (which are almost useless now): The John Peel archiv online is our rescue!

„Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat“  <3

• September 8, 2012 7:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What a great site, really well done. Nice to know that JP is appreciated 'across the pond' as well. It wasn't until he'd gone that people started to really appreciate what he'd done for music. A few that he championed never showed the gratitude due either. 

• September 8, 2012 3:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have The Fall's Peel Sessions box set. Excellent stuff. 

Alternative country singer Paul Burch has a cool song called "John Peel" about the man. (Sorry, I can't find it on Spotify or Youtube) My favorite verse is about Peel's vast record collection.

".. had every record ever sent him/ Even the ones he never played/ Said `There's a life there livin' in the groove / and I can feel 'em when I'm walkin' in the room.' " 

• September 7, 2012 1:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Definitely a legend. It was strange , I did a poem that referenced Peel at a show (Benefitting local pirate radio.). The next day , he was hanging out with Gene Vincent  , Jimi Hendrix and Phil Lynott , again. 

• September 6, 2012 10:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just about everyone and their mother have done a recording session with John Peel... some are officially released, some are bootlegged, some are freely available for streaming (most are bootlegged).  In the pre-internet days, Peel Sessions were a regular commodity of tape traders.  Just from the sheer volume of artists that have gone through his studio, of course there are many that I could care less about too. But there are many gems in there. Some of my favorite Peel Sessions:

Man Or Astroman "Inside the head of John Peel" 2x7" boot

Mummies "1994 Peel Sessions" boot

Butthole Surfers "Peel Show 1988" boot

Bikini Kill "Peel Sessions" boot

The list could go on & on....

There's only a few dozen sessions in the archives so far, but there must be hundreds of bands that did sessions for his show.  The man is a legend.

John Battles said:

A friend sent me some amazing Peel sessions , and a couple I could have done without. Just saying. He must have got them , here.

• September 6, 2012 7:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend sent me some amazing Peel sessions , and a couple I could have done without. Just saying. He must have got them , here.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel