Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Will Ferrell to play Russ Meyer in RUSS & ROGER GO BEYOND!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 4, 2014 9:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know what you're thinking, but... Personally, I happen to *like* Will Ferrell.

That Russ Meyer/Roger Ebert biopic may have just cast an A-lister as one of its leads.

Will Ferrell is close to signing on to play famous exploitation director Russ Meyer in this indie about the making of his and Ebert's BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. It was Meyer's first studio film, and we'll see how the improbable mix of Meyer, Ebert, Richard D. Zanuck, and THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS produced something…entirely itself.

If this project is indeed on the fast track, expect to hear confirmation of Ferrell's casting soon. Also, for the 30-ish Roger Ebert, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen are in contention, but as far as I can gather, it's still anyone's game. That's going to be tricky casting, considering his relatively recent demise and the documentary LIFE ITSELF (which is a lock for a Best Documentary nom).

They don't have a director yet, but if Edgar Wright is involved (which, given BABY DRIVER and GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE, may be an impossibility), this could easily become one of the most intriguing film-history flicks to come out in quite some time (Meyer/Ebert>Disney/Travers)

As for Will Ferrell, this would be his first portrayal of a real-life figure since Bob Woodward in DICK back in '99 (and probably his most dramatic performance since 2010's EVERYTHING MUST GO), but he's age-appropriate for the part and should slip into the shoes of the legendary impresario quite nicely.

Yeah…I could see it.

-Vincent Kim-Zahedi
      ”Papa Vinyard”
      vincentzahedi@gmail.com
      Twitter

This post was edited by køpper at August 4, 2014 9:25 AM CDT

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 4, 2014 10:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Wait, Will Ferrel is going to play a sleazy guy from the past with a mustache and bad hair?! He's really expanding his horizons. 

• August 4, 2014 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....OK , I'm still taking this in.... Will Ferrell as Russ Meyer. I don't see it , but , that doesn't mean it couldn't be there. Sometimes it takes a talented unknown to carry off such a part , like whatshisname who played Kim Fowley in " The Runaways". He was brilliant.  Do they really think "Beyond The Valley of The Dolls" was Meyer's first studio picture? First major studio picture , yes , if that's what they meant (20th Century Fox , who loved the movie so much , it was one of two pictures they refused to release on video , but , finally caved to public demand. The other was "Myra Breckenridge " , and they eventually caved , and released that , too .). 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel