Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: RIP Marty Thau of Red Star Records

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 17, 2014 11:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BREAKING NEWS – Legendary Punk Figure Marty Thau dead at 75

Written by: Dave Cantrell

It is almost too much to say, but the man behind such legends as the New York Dolls, Suicide, the Fleshtones, Real Kids, and involved with just about everyone else on the 1970′s New York punk scene, Marty Thau, has died aged 75. Very few details are known at this time but CITC will have a full remembrance tomorrow from a guest writer that knew him quite well.

Read more: http://caughtinthecarousel.com/breaking-news-legendary-punk-figure-marty-thau-dead-75/

Interview with Marty Thau from Mudkiss Fanzine.

This post was edited by køpper at February 17, 2014 1:25 PM CST

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 18, 2014 1:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That sucks. His two Ramones demos from September '75 are incredible. I like his production on the Zeros "Beat your heart out" too. Very Phil Spectorish.

• March 6, 2014 4:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Listening to Marty Thau Presents 2X5 today. Great comp, Fleshnotes, Bloodless Pharos, Student Teachers...etc. 

• May 23, 2014 2:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAU WAS NOT FONDLY REMEMBERED BY SOME. SYLVAIN SYLVAIN OF THE NEW YORK DOLLS (YOU KNOW , THE BAND THAU "DISCOVERED".) TOLD ME THAT BETWEEN THAU , LIEBER AND KREBS , THE SURVING NEW YORK DOLLS GOT DICK , UNTIL THEY WERE , APPARENTLY , EACH PRESENTED WITH A CHECK FOR A WHOMPIN' $3000, AFTER JOHNNY DIED........

This takes nothing away from his contributions , with Buddah Records and Kasenetz/Katz , and , if I'm not mistaken , ? and The Mysterians' "Do Something To Me , widely regarded as the first Bubblegum single , getting The Ramones and Suicide out of the starting gate , plus , the still - enjoyable "2x5" comp , with the early Fleshtones , Bloodless Pharohs (With a pre - snoozevile Brian Setzer.) , The Revelons ( Whose "Red Hot Woman " channels UK Pub Rock and Boston Garage.) , Student Teachers (Decent New Wave.) and The Comateens (My Sister - in - Law's BROTHERS , Ollie and Nick'S, ACTUALLY PRETTY LONG LIVED POP OUTFIT. BIG IN FRANCE.).

• May 23, 2014 6:42 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Thau was living in my area here in Virginia when he passed. He would frequent a local vintage accessories/used record shop and ended up giving a couple of speaking engagements there (I think it was a $10 cover at the door). He had started to get a little involved with our local music scene (not much of one), and MC'ed an indie rock/alternative folk music fest that was staged by said record shop. I wished I could have made it to one of his public forums, but I had zero interest in attending the snorefest he was hosting here.

• May 23, 2014 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

10$ ? Geez.    I would have liked to have heard what he had to say about those days , too. 

I THINK HE OVERSTATED HIS IMPORTANCE , BUT HE WAS ONE OF THE MOVERS'N'SHAKERS. JUST NOT THE MAIN ONE.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel