Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: New York Dolls estate fight

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 10, 2013 7:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My only question is, why do we not have a "Thunders & Sons" reality show?

http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/new-york-dolls-estate-fight/

Ugh.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 10, 2013 5:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if you've ever seen the Thunders' docunentary ,  "Born To Lose" ,by Lech Kowalski , but , apparently  never finished ( Though shown , here , in Chicago , and in Detroit and NYC in three different versions , in or around 1997.) , much of it reads liek a reality show , but one that does'nt make an oxymoron of the term , like all these "Reality'' shows on TV do , today. Kowalski tried to cover his friend , Thunders' life and career without pulling any punches.

Similarly , I would LOVE to see him cover the upcoming fiasco over his estate , which was always worth more than even he had been told , when he was still alive. Sylvain Sylvain told me, the minute Johnny dropped dead , he was called in , as were the other surviving ex - New York Dolls , to recieve his FIRST - EVER royalty check  from Mercury Records. And , as I recall , it was for a whomping $3000 !  OK , The Dolls had no hit records (Tho' the article states that "Personality Crisis " was a hit - HUH ?!) . but between reissues (Admittedly sporadic until the '90s.) and publishing for cover versions of their songs , and just the sales from the first go 'round , Thunders , and all The former Dolls , should have had the makings of a decent - sized estate.

OK , WE KNOW WHERE MOST OF HIS MONEY WOULD HAVE GONE , BUT , SYLVAIN TOLD ME THAT UNTIL JOHNNY DIED , THEY WERE TOLD THERE WAS NO MONEY. WTF?!       

I'd forgotten that his Sister had passed on , and did'nt know Vito was out of the joint (He's interviewed in the movie , from Prison .). HE HAD ANOTHER SON , NOT Dino , as I recall , because he's literally told , on camera , that Johnny Thunders was his Father, in the movie. I think Dino always knew . I remember reading that he had 3 Sons and a Daughter. yes , this should get very interesting. But , it's not surprising that , with someone minding the store ,  Johnny's estate should now be worth a lot more than when he checked out.

The article also blunders , majorly , by saying The Dolls broke up in 1974. They did'nt officially break up until 1975 , and David and Sylvain kept it going under the original name , or several variations , until 1976 , maybe even very early '77 (?), until David went solo , and Syl played in his band for a while.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel