Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Record Player

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 29, 2013 3:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have many CDs and MP3s, but the best sound still comes from the good old vinyl.
      What kind of turntable you have at home?

My own:

A CEC (Chuo Denki) BD-2000.
      Without automatic but with anti-skating

I inherited this beautiful record player from my grandma.
      Many years (and wild parties) later, I learned that this is a really good one.

What about with you?

• November 29, 2013 5:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've yet to buy into digital, same with books I still hold onto the physical medium dearly.  I find that mnay people who buy into vinyl are audiophiles, the kind who spend hundreds and thousands on their players, speakers and amp in the search for the perfect sound, I find it insane.  I love records because they are not perfect, the surface noise, the mono sound, its supposed to be a bit rougher but more human for it unlike the manicured digitalised music.  I have a love hate relationship with vinyl, for they come with their issues; you need to treat them very carefully, newer reissues are commonly of poorer quality, some are even just taken from CD instead of the master tapes  and man they take up a hell of a lot of space.  But they are often the best way to listen to music from an earlier era (especially if you get hold of editions issued pre 90's).

I have equal love for CD's too, they haver their benefits over vinyl; no surface noise, far more durable, cheap and when done properly easily equally if not better sound than vinyl.  The biggest issues I have with them is that the trend for remastered reissues and compressing what would be a double LP release onto a single CD which ends up dumbing down the sound.  I think anyone who loves music should have access to both, too many albums I like only have been released on one or the other.

Heres my set up, assembled on a budget, I picked them up off ebay second hand, the record player is a Rotel RP-830, Rotel RA-810a amp, Cambridge Audio CD4 CD player, hooked up to a pair of JPW shelf speakers.

• November 29, 2013 5:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 5, 2013 12:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I HAVE , i THINK IT'S A TECHNICS TURNTABLE , AND A P.O.S. AMPLIFIER.....i ALSO HAVE A CD BURNER WITH THE BUILT IN TURNTABLE , THAT SOUNDS REMARKABLY GOOD . It PLAYS 45s , 33s and 78s , or "Vinyls'',  as clueless hipsters call 'em. I ALSO HAVE ONE OF THOSE PULLOUT TURNTABLES BUILT INTO A BOOM BOX/TAPE RECORDER. I  have a huge tube amp record player with foldout speakers FROM THE 50s or early 60s. Plays 78s , but takes up too much space and weighs too much to use often. I have a smaller RCA VICTROLA , TOO , from the 50's . 78 , 33 , 45 , and even 18.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel