Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: bands like Inca Babies, Deja Voodoo or Bone Orchard?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 11, 2012 1:10 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I'm looking for some underground music like the bands mentioned in the title; Cramps/Birthday Party influenced. Know any?

• April 3, 2013 7:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You mean The Raymen from The 80's ? They were from France or Germany , or , excuse me , I forget.....I had a double album of theirs. It was too "Goth - a - Billy" for my taste , with Peter Murphy - like vocals......I'm not putting it down , it just was'nt my thing.

• April 3, 2013 7:06 AM CDT
    • Untitled

There is another good band influenced by The Cramps who have their own unique sound, The Raymen. They have new 12-Inch EP called Death's Black Train out now and their new album Sinister Funtime is coming this month. 

• November 21, 2012 5:16 PM CST
    • Untitled

Dig Ted Benson, is not what I was looking for but is good, I liked it. I like Black Angesl, I listenen to them for the first time a couple of years ago and they caught my ear. Pissed Jeans sounds good, i'll look for more.

I been lately into Art Phag, House of Knives, Barton And Harry, Sunglasses After Dark and Voodoo Idols. 

Thank you all for the recommendations, if you have anything like the bands mentioned before just let me know.

• November 12, 2012 7:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kid Congo is all around the bend , stylistically speaking. His last album , "Dracula Boots" is my favorite. I found a beatup copy of "Dr. Rhythm" , one of two of The Dave Clark Five's Freakbeat singles. I forget the other one. But , I gave him the copy I'd just found , as I have two copies , already. I hope he covers it.

• November 12, 2012 5:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Two in the mix for ya. Britains very own 'Ten Benson' and 'Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds' Fabulous schlock'n'roll. 'Unnatural Helpers' might be worth a shout as well. 'Black Angels' '18th Dye' and 'Future of the Left' are just sublime. 'Pissed Jeans' rock! Hope this helps

• November 11, 2012 8:51 PM CST
    • Untitled

I don't really compare them musically, but they're all Cramps influenced one way or another, the vibes are there. Sting-Rays sounds good, a little more psychobilly but i liked them; Art Phag is very good! Gonna definitely look for more of their stuff. Whats the name f you bands, send me some stuff; if its deja voodoo influenced i'll probably like it dont worry about the rest.

Axel said:

I wouldn't compare the Purple Things to Deja Voodoo or Bone Orchard but I agree that their first two records on Media Burn are fantastic. If you haven't heard them yet listen to the Vibes, the band the singer had before the 'Things'. Early Sting-Rays might appeal to you, too, like their 1st EP and LP 'Dinosaurs' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiL4CIzDFyc. Another 2-piece band similar to Deja Voodoo(but nowhere as great) was 'Art Phag', on Wanghead Records http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakg0QpkKQw&feature=related 

I played in a band heavily influenced by Deja Voodoo in the mid 80s but we were sooo bad, I can't recommend listening to us, lol.

MADD BLAKE said:

Deja Voodoo is great, it got to listen to a few tracks from House Of Knives in a Myspace page,  sounds very good! I like the Gun Club too and I listened to Blowstops and sounds good too. Thank you both. I found this other band that sounds similar to the bands mentiones before, 'The Purple Things' you guys should check them out in youtube. 

• November 11, 2012 8:44 PM CST
    • Untitled

Yes I reciently listened to the Chrome Cranks and Jesus Lizard i dig em both, good bands; gonna look for the others now

Robert Bell said:

I'm a big fan of Birthday Party, and although these might not be in the exact same vein, heres a few I'm diggin' on:  The U-Men, Cows (Cunning Stunts is me fave), Chrome Cranks, Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, God Bullies, Rudimentary Peni...

• November 11, 2012 8:40 PM CST
    • Untitled

Listened to God Bullies, good band; and you're right no one sounds like the Cramps but there are a lot of good bands influenced by them who have their own unique sound, like Deja Voodoo for example like you said. I checked out The Dyes & 3-D invisible are good too!

John Battles said:

. If you like the bands you mentioned....maybe I'm dead wrong , but , I saw God Bullies once , and they sounded a lot like The Birthday Party to me. I started listening to The Jazz Butcher again , recently. They were all over the place . Loosely associated with the whole Garage/Trash /Psychobilly thing , as was some of the Goth and Gloom MUSIC HAPPENING AT THE TIME. Lindsay Hutton told me "The Cure , The Cramps and Siouxsie have NOTHING in common except that maybe they all use a lot of hairspray !".....You might want to check out the Blood on The Cats (LP and Video) and Revenge of The Killer Pussies" (LP) comps if you have'nt already. Bone Orchard and Inca Babies appear on 'em , as well as The Stingrays , Vibes , Milkshakes , Screaming Lord Sutch , Sharks ,  Even Shockabilly. NO ONE sounds like The Cramps , but , they influenced so many other bands. Deja Voodoo , admittedly ,  sound like a Cramps bootleg. That's GOOD. In more recent years , The Dyes wear their influence like a badge. 3-D Invisibles are'nt really Crampesque , but , they're some of the best modern Horror/Novelty Punk Rock.

• November 9, 2012 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As Axel will attest (Because I told him so.) all that stuff was less  than unknown in the states....I followed it as much as I could . I have the Vibes EP , The Stingrays' "Dinosaurs" EP , THE LIVE ALBUM , AND THEIR LATER , MORE PSYCH - ORIENTED ALBUM , BUT , I think I only have one or two Purple Things songs on Media Burn comps.... I have'nt played that stuff in years , but, I did'nt trade it in , either.

Art Phag were very funny. They were actually a spinoff of Detroit's Snake - Out. I saw both bands , but , I liked Snake - Out , better. When I saw Art Phag , I recall them being a three piece - Vocals , drums and guitar. The members of Art Phag/SNAKEOUT DID ANOTHER ALBUM AS THE FUKNOTZ , called "Let's Play Scratch and Sniff With Grandpa's Butt". It's hilarious. Some of the material dated back to Snake-Out's repertoirre.

The funniest thing , which I just learned , was that Dino , from Snake - Out , was in The New Monkees. There's an interview in Roctober #50    www.roctober.com
      where he makes it clear he was a huge Monkees fan , and tried to make peace with The Monkees , when he briefly met a few of them , but , it was'nt happening. Neither was their show.  
      Axel said:

I wouldn't compare the Purple Things to Deja Voodoo or Bone Orchard but I agree that their first two records on Media Burn are fantastic. If you haven't heard them yet listen to the Vibes, the band the singer had before the 'Things'. Early Sting-Rays might appeal to you, too, like their 1st EP and LP 'Dinosaurs' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiL4CIzDFyc. Another 2-piece band similar to Deja Voodoo(but nowhere as great) was 'Art Phag', on Wanghead Records http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakg0QpkKQw&feature=related 

I played in a band heavily influenced by Deja Voodoo in the mid 80s but we were sooo bad, I can't recommend listening to us, lol.

MADD BLAKE said:

Deja Voodoo is great, it got to listen to a few tracks from House Of Knives in a Myspace page,  sounds very good! I like the Gun Club too and I listened to Blowstops and sounds good too. Thank you both. I found this other band that sounds similar to the bands mentiones before, 'The Purple Things' you guys should check them out in youtube. 

• November 7, 2012 12:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MADD BLAKE said:

• November 4, 2012 3:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I met, got drunk with & talked guitars with Darren the guitar player from the Inca Babies on holiday last year. Great guy, great company.

• October 25, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You know, I'd always dismissed the Inca Babies as being a Birthday Party rip-off after seeing them support Johnny Thunders at the Hacienda in Manchester back in the 80's and so never got any of their records. However, I picked up a copy of the Rumble LP at a record fair the other week, and despite the obvious influence, it's very good. Just sayin'.

• October 17, 2012 5:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a big fan of Birthday Party, and although these might not be in the exact same vein, heres a few I'm diggin' on:  The U-Men, Cows (Cunning Stunts is me fave), Chrome Cranks, Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, God Bullies, Rudimentary Peni...

• October 15, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

. If you like the bands you mentioned....maybe I'm dead wrong , but , I saw God Bullies once , and they sounded a lot like The Birthday Party to me. I started listening to The Jazz Butcher again , recently. They were all over the place . Loosely associated with the whole Garage/Trash /Psychobilly thing , as was some of the Goth and Gloom MUSIC HAPPENING AT THE TIME. Lindsay Hutton told me "The Cure , The Cramps and Siouxsie have NOTHING in common except that maybe they all use a lot of hairspray !".....You might want to check out the Blood on The Cats (LP and Video) and Revenge of The Killer Pussies" (LP) comps if you have'nt already. Bone Orchard and Inca Babies appear on 'em , as well as The Stingrays , Vibes , Milkshakes , Screaming Lord Sutch , Sharks ,  Even Shockabilly. NO ONE sounds like The Cramps , but , they influenced so many other bands. Deja Voodoo , admittedly ,  sound like a Cramps bootleg. That's GOOD. In more recent years , The Dyes wear their influence like a badge. 3-D Invisibles are'nt really Crampesque , but , they're some of the best modern Horror/Novelty Punk Rock.

• October 13, 2012 3:37 PM CDT
    • Untitled

• October 12, 2012 6:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

At one point, Deja Voodoo had a band that was imitating them...called House Of Knives, they only appeared on one or 2 of the It Came From Canada series of LP's in the late 80's. House of Knives were supposed to release an LP on Deja Voodoo's label OG, but it never came out. I'm still searching for a copy of those recordings...

Nobody else has sounded like Deja Voodoo since....sludgeabilly inventors.

• October 12, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gun Club, Blowtops, if I think of any more I'll add on.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel