Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Introductions (for newbies)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 18, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm Ben, also a newbie here. I've liked Garage Rock for a while now, I just didn't know it! I got introduced to a bunch of great old school Garage bands via the Nuggets box sets from Rhino and my favorite has to be The Sonics. Also, every since I was a little kid (I'm 34 now) I've been obsessed with The Ramones. For the fist time ever I've started my own band (I was always in someone else's) called Toy Cannons, our style is all over the place but there is definitely a garage and pop-punk influence there. If you wanna check us out you can do so here:

• September 18, 2012 1:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Living the dream!

• September 17, 2012 10:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SAM!!!!! How you been?

Sam Sinister said:

What's up, Stig? Fancy meetin' you here...

STENCHRADIO.COM said:

Thank you Garage Punk Hideout for having me and I invite all of you to send me a friend request and check out my radio channel STENCHRADIO.COM. This week my guests will be Don Bolles of The Germs/45 Grave and Jerry A of the almighty POISON IDEA.

Thank you ALL

-Stig Stench/STENCHRADIO.COM Austin TX

http://www.stenchradio.com

• September 17, 2012 9:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey --

I'm D. A. Anguiano. I'm a 25 year old guy living in Carrollton TX (South of Denton, North of Dallas). I've been into garage since middle-school and really got into it after moving to Seattle when I was 17. I play in a punk band called Occult Detective Club and have a dog named Elvis.

• September 17, 2012 6:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's up, Stig? Fancy meetin' you here...

STENCHRADIO.COM said:

Thank you Garage Punk Hideout for having me and I invite all of you to send me a friend request and check out my radio channel STENCHRADIO.COM. This week my guests will be Don Bolles of The Germs/45 Grave and Jerry A of the almighty POISON IDEA.

Thank you ALL

• September 17, 2012 4:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you ALL

• September 17, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm Frank, 23, I'm from Brooklyn, NY. New Yorker born and raised, I first got into garage rock when I was 15. Me and my buddy would go to this place Wows!ville on St. Mark's after school and just listen to some records and smoke cigarettes (real cool, I know.) Anyway, it all started there. The owner of the shop got us into some DotDash shows so we were able to experience the likes of The Spits, Lost Sounds, Black Lips, Shopfronts, DC Snipers, Reatards, Little Killers, King Khan & BBQ, among many others. I mean, fuck, we were children! It was amazing. Such debauchery. That's also when I bought my first Back From the Grave comp. Needless to say, it changed me. 

Aside from that, my older brother is in a surf/metal band called The Giraffes, also from Brooklyn. He exposed me to the heavier side of things; doom metal, thrash, death metal, etc. My first few mix tapes were from him. He also showed me how garage rock and funk, and rock n roll in general is international. He provided me with a couple Sublime Frequencies records. Also, the golden age of riffs, the early 70s.

I'm a graphic designer, and I play guitar. No bands, but plenty of people that I jam with. Anyways, thanks for having me!

• September 12, 2012 3:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey! I am formerly from Champaign, Illinois but have lived in the Pacific NW for years now. I started off in Seattle but I currently (since 2003) live in Springfield, Oregon (it's right next to Eugene..)

Garage rock is my favorite (too many bands to even try to name), but I like everything from Joy Division to Chopin to 16 Horsepower, as well. I took piano lessons for years and am waiting for an old Farfisa to arrive at my door step in the next day or two (bought it off Ebay). I am joining my 1st band at age 43!! I am pretty excited to look around this site!

• September 10, 2012 10:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, all. I'm a copy technician and musician living in New Hampshire. I play and teach bass, ukulele, piano, sax, and clarinet. I also used to do talk radio, but then I realized it was time I could put into music.

My journey through music (the short version) start's with my dad's oldies and jazz collection. The first time I heard/saw Fishbone was on the movie "Back to the Beach", and I decided then and there that I would always be an individual. Later I discovered punk rock and grunge, which eventually led me back to oldies, and I discovered more obscure bands from the 60s, and have filled in many of the gaps.

I'm really digging this new wave of garage bands, and the new soul that's on some alternative radio stations. Love the podcasts I hear on this website, some I've been following for years.

Hit me up if you're in New England.

P.S.
      The Beach Boys > The Beatles

• September 4, 2012 9:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi my name is Joaquín, 38 years old, from Spain, I play guitar in several bands, one instrumental (Phil and the Spectras on myspace), and a beat band. Also I am starting a new band band with my brother, basically covers from Index, Plastic Cloud, Golden Dawn, Rising Storm etc...........

I collect guitars, I own 4 mosrites, 3 Rickenbackers, 1 Burns, 2 Fender (Lseries), 2 Guild, 1 Epiphone, 1 Hofner all 50s and 60s. Also vintage amps, 3 fender, 2 VOX, 1 Standel (25L15) and 1 Electro.

I have been into garage for the past 22 yeares

• August 22, 2012 4:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi,

I am George from Athens Greece, 36 years old. I am a crappy self educated guitar player with passion for tone seeking and guitars.

in the web you will find me with the username SGACE.

I started listening to garage rock after I heard the Inside Out album of the Miracle Workers about 12 years before. After that i dig more into the scene and my favourites are the Gruesomes, Sonics, Monomen, Flaming Groovies, etc.

George

• August 21, 2012 1:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i lived in Austin twice and still miss the scene. May move back there. 16 years in NYC may have been enough.

Stoned Again Productions said:

Hi, I live in Austin. I am here because the music is exactly what I was looking for.  I was a teen all through the 70s.  Bands were playing / practicing in garages all over the city . It was way to cool.  You could pick and choose. The garage old school punk sound was considered pretty heavy back in the day, compared to today's standards.  I am just gonna enjoy myself. I did read the Terms Of Service before I signed up.  All is well. Good day, Drew F

• August 21, 2012 12:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I feel like a damn fool for having completely lost touch with the NYC music scene. I used to be in bands and have a lot of fun back in the day. Then I got in a relationship for 9 years and cocooned may way into nowheresville. Now that I'm single, and geezer-ish, I want to get back to my rocking roots. Is there any hope for me?

I have guitars, amps, pedals, time and riffs.

• August 21, 2012 9:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm Simon, live in Toronto. Grew up on '80s hardcore and got heavily into earlier punk etc at the end of the '80s, as hardcore started to get stale and the first KBD-style comps started to appear. Been into all kinds of underground rock'n'roll ever since. I really dig learning about older scenes and collecting records, and I run a label that mostly does reissues nowadays. The first Real Kids LP is my all-time favourite record, if that tells you anything.

• August 8, 2012 3:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there, I'm Jarkko from Helsinki, Finland - from a part of town called "The Arabia Beach" to  be more exact. I just got into this great community, and I'm EX-FOKKEN'-STATIC about it! I play drums in a couple of bands, one of them very 77-punk / garage oriented (stayin' ingognito as of yet, since we're kind of in between phases right now, and will most likely change our name in the weeks to come...)

I'm thinking of starting a blog here about the Finnish garagepunk/garagerock scene (since it is THRIVING, man!), introducing the greatest bands one at a time. Stay tuned! ;)

Anyhoo, it's great to be here, can't wait to get  to know the lovely people hiding out here!

• August 1, 2012 12:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi, I live in Austin. I am here because the music is exactly what I was looking for.  I was a teen all through the 70s.  Bands were playing / practicing in garages all over the city . It was way to cool.  You could pick and choose. The garage old school punk sound was considered pretty heavy back in the day, compared to today's standards.  I am just gonna enjoy myself. I did read the Terms Of Service before I signed up.  All is well. Good day, Drew F

• July 24, 2012 4:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Age 40 , got into music at a young age (7) listening to me parents old records, discovered garage at the age of 16, bought a re issue soul record that had The Count Fives, Psychotic Reaction on the flip, don’t know why but its a good job, as the journey began, and is still going. Me first comp was Pebbles Vol 19 ( Denmark )

I love British R&B, Mod Beat, and what we now call Garage Punk. here’s a Top 5
      The Dirty Wurds - Why ( and the other side too)
      Him & The Others - She's Got Eyes That tell
      Lies and the other side too
      Unbelievable Uglies - Get Straight

Apart from the original bands, my all time fave has to be the Mystreated, they must of been the most authentic sounding band ever.

In my spare time I search out members of bands that history books forget. To name a few a few success's have been Him & The Others, Allen Pounds Get Rich, The Afex, The Act, Lee Grant & The Capitols, The Maniax, The Circle i could on but i wont.

• July 23, 2012 1:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey all, I am excited to join this lovely community. I'm Kirby and I am here on behalf of The Whistle Tips. We are a Surf Punk band hailing from Brooklyn, NY with a strong emphasis on 60s garage sound. We are a relatively new band but have been hitting the Brooklyn circuit hard as of late.

Something we've noticed in the recent months is a strong grunge revival in NYC, and no offense to any grunge bands or lovers but we want to bring back the dirty garage shows that were so common the last few years. Maybe its because the novelty of budget rock wore off and all the cool kids want to revisit 90s nihilism, but we wanna rocknroll!

Our big aim is to connect with as many locals and touring bands in the states as possible and flood the scene with unforgiving fuzz and I figured this was a perfect place to connect and keep things moving.

Our big influences range from Man or Astro-Man to The Reatards, not necessary to list all of em but we live it fast, dirty, and surfy. Don't be shy, reach out to us! We are constantly booking shows and looking for acts to headline or open, we also want to keep house shows alive so I am hoping that anyone interested with join us in our conquest of Brooklyn and NYC.

So much talent on here and I can't wait to dig deeper.

All our love,

The Whistle Tips

thewhistletips.bandcamp.com

• July 18, 2012 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm new here.  I was on the Bomp list for a few years (I think 1995 or 1996 until 2002), then on a few various other music-related Yahoo groups.  I'm Andrea, and I live in the Boston area with my husband Mike.  We go to some shows, but less and less as we get old and crochety. 

I love 60s garage and mod music, and have loved many of the revivals.  I was in my 20s during the early 90s revival and really hit my stride there.  I lived in New Orleans for part of that and saw the Royal Pendletons practically every week, as well as all of the great bands who would come through such as the Woggles (still a huge fave), the Oblivians, SCOTS, and probably a million more I'm forgetting.

My favorite local band is Muck and the Mires, and I have a couple of their LPs on my mp3 player for when I go to the gym (they are excellent workout music).

My other hobbies are knitting (no shit don't laugh), going out on hikes and photographing all the cool things I see (including snakes we catch), watching genre flicks (mostly horror and 60s/70s Italian - giallo and policia -- as well as Roger Corman-esque b-movies) and hanging out at home (we have three cats, a ball python, a special needs bearded dragon and are currently fostering a red-eared slider).

I feel as though I've gotten woefully out of the loop with music the past few years and hope to learn of bands and releases I may have missed.

• July 4, 2012 6:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Everyone !

I'm a french rock'n'roller relocating to the Pacific Northwest and I want to start Garage bands !

I have tons of ideas ! (check out my links on my page here)

If you wanna roll, please contact me.

Ax

• July 3, 2012 2:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's been six months or more since I've joined and i only just realized that i haven't actually posted yet...

Hi.

I'm AJ.

From the UK.

Lover of Music but really can't play... i need both hands and a strong bag to carry a tune.

Not in a Band [see last statement] but love listening to music.

Anything from Native America Pow-Wow to 80s Goth...

• July 2, 2012 11:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ryan from Rochester, NY. I play the drums, collect 45s, design at robertscomm.com, drink lots of IPAs and rip up the streets daily. Garage punk will always get me in ways no other genre can. I started a blog a few months back called FUZZ DRENCH, check it out if you have the time.

• July 2, 2012 7:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a graphic designer from Columbus, OH. I love music. Always have. Don't remember how I got onto garage, but I prefer the 60s stuff as opposed to the 'punk' stuff. Although I do love punk like the SLF, Buzzcocks, Jam etc. Love mod, soul and just about anything good. Favorite newer group would probably be The Mainliners out of Sweden.

• June 28, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi I'm Ry. Guitarist and Singer from Australia.

I guess I'll just say I play music every day with my best friend in my band The Astros. http://theastros.bandcamp.com

That's our stuff.

I'm also really into all things sci fi, especially table top gaming and things like that.

So hello to everyone =D

• June 18, 2012 11:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i MAY HAVE ALREADY SAID SOMETHING HERE.....Younger men , take comfort in knowing the MEMORY is first thing to go.... I'm a writer , "Musician" and sometimes visual artist , based in Chicago. Before that , I lived in Dallas and Arlington (Or Dullass and Arlingfun as we used to say....), Texas. Lived in parts of Illinois prior to that , too. I write and illustrate for Roctober magazine - www.roctober.com   , and worked with Bad Trip , Black To Comm , Psychotronic Video , and others. I've got a piece in the recent Roctober retrospective "Flying Saucers Rock'n'Roll" , and in the Roctober - released or related "A Friendly Game of Poker", "T.V. a Go - Go" , and a book of interviews with Dan Clowes ("Ghost World" , "Eightball" , etc.) . I'VE BEEN PLAYING MUSIC , OFF AND ON , FOR 30 years. BUT , i'VE REMAINED A SOLO ACT WITH JUST A FEW SIDE PROJECTS (Inc. DAS VOLT , FRONTED BY BRYAN McMAHON OF THE ELECTRIC EELS. ) .   You can see my one You Tube video , my version of "Six Days on The Road", at totallybmx (That's not my page , so , show some respect.)......It'll explain why my report card says "Does'nt Play Well With Others".

Oh ! Music .....Rockabilly , Garage , Psych , Country , Blues , Early Hard Rock , R'n'B , Punk , Instrumental Rock , other stuff.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel