Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rolling Stones - "Doom and Gloom"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 14, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best thing they've done for years, Jagger sounds less like a caricature of himself than he has done for a long time. Had to turn the Scorcese film of them off as it was like watching a really bad Jagger impersonator(vocally rather than visually), but on this he sounds more jumpin' jack flash again.

• October 14, 2012 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I´ve heard the song the first time now, is not bad...

why should they stop music? (or even die!?!), guess is what they can do best, anyway!      As long they have people buying records and going to concerts, why not? :)

• October 14, 2012 11:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's just an OK track. I thought it was to promote their newest "Greatest Hits"-compilation.

• October 13, 2012 3:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Seriously, this song ain't bad.

• October 13, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

<---well, some of them are dead.

• October 13, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I developed a more forgiving attitude toward The Stones in 2001 , when I saw Chuck Berry for the first time , in St. Louis , at The Pageant. Kopper was probably there. Chuck KILLED . I figured , well , maybe I should give The Stones another go. I had'nt seen them since 1981 , but I'd tried to get into one of their smaller shows in the 90's. TheIR LAST ALBUM "a Bigger Bang" was their best LP/CD since "Some Girls" , if you ask me. MANY people would agree. But , I have'nt had time to listen to this song.  I WILL. i HAVE NO BEEF WITH tHE sTONES STAYING TOGETHER. What else would they do? It's a business , yeah , but the music has improved a great deal in the last 10 , 20 years.  

• October 13, 2012 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know, right?

sideshow Barty said:

that aint bad man,i fuckin heard worse.

• October 12, 2012 5:17 PM CDT
    • Untitled

i dig it. very dark but still carries the iconic-MODERN (90s, 00s) stones dance-able licks.

• October 12, 2012 1:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

that aint bad man,i fuckin heard worse.

• October 12, 2012 11:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Okay, let me first say that I love the Stones (especially their early stuff), and this song is... good.  It is crafted well. The guitars have a nice crunchy-dirty sound and strut.  The drums are stripped down and basic creating a nice drive to the song.

However....

The verse has the stink of New Nashville all over it.  The meter is eerily similar to Shania Twain's "I Feel Like A Woman".  Is anyone else getting that?  As for the chorus... IT IS THE STONES indeed, and it sounds great!!!

• October 12, 2012 10:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

It's no Emotional Rescue (thankfully).

It's interesting to use the Rolling Stones as a tool to measure the prevailing trends in popular culture. Their music and lyrics (and the presentation of it) have always reflected (some might say refracted because it's always thru the recognizable lens of the R.S. sound) elements of the zeitgeist.

It's gotta be tough to be Rolling Stones in an age where The White Stripes and Black Keys are mega popular. 

• October 12, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah man I dig it- liking the guitar riff sound too. Not too polished by major studio standards. Mick's still got the depth to his voice. Amazing for a 69 year old guy.

• October 12, 2012 9:35 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I heard it yesterday morning and it rocks. Kinda garage-y, dark and muddy but it's the Stones. I'm only pissed that it's only one of two tracks of another compilation album out of countless compilation albums The Stones have put out in their 50 year career. I hope they put out a new album soon though but all in all, The Stones still rock and still can show how the big boys roll.

• October 12, 2012 8:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know I know, on our LP we have 2 songs that last more than 5 minutes :-), it's was a kind of swiss joke !I was surprise by the energy in the voice of Jagger, it has something very punk ! And 50 years... it's nearly twice my age ! Who said rock'n'roll is not the best medicine ?

• October 12, 2012 7:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds good to me! Better than 99% of the rest of "popular" music being produced these days. If they can still produce great songs some 50 years after starting out, then more power to 'em.

And who cares if it's more than 4 minutes long? A lot of the Stones songs were longer than 4 minutes. Hell, a lot of the songs on the Hideout Comp Series are longer than 4 minutes.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel