Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rolling Stones - "Doom and Gloom"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 12, 2012 3:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Should they be dead or it's ok for old buddies ?

Have you hear the new Rolling Stones song "Doom and Gloom" ?

Do you think they should have die (or at least stop music) years ago ?

Or is this song ok for this old guys ?

(but why more than 4 minutes for a rock song like this ?)

• January 1, 2013 12:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like this song!

• January 1, 2013 3:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree it's got something new in it a bit more "Garage/Grungy" for want of a better word.

Lerchio said:

Seriously, this song ain't bad.

• December 19, 2012 5:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hmmmm? how may 70 year olds can rock like this?!!!

• December 19, 2012 2:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, I didn't listen to the song, yes, the squares can have their awful band.

They haven't put out anything good since Sticky Fingers/Exile, and by that time they weren't even punky.

If the public wants a bunch of withered prunes flouncing about onstage/on vinyl, that's their business.

Also,

What is with all of these 60s bands doin' reunion shows? Rock and Roll is s'posed to be about youth, why are there alla these old guys in their 50s and 60s trying to rock out? The wax still sounds great and always will be 'young', fuck comeback shows.

Ick.

• December 11, 2012 2:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not bad! I'm surprised though, like others said, this sounds better than they used to in the last decade(s) or so.

-----

Disclaimer (who cares): I have to say the Sonics are my Rolling Stones, I like how they aged. Though I wonder how it would have been for them, if they turned as rich as the Stones and not be forgotten by the mainstream.

I have ignored their output (RS) for the longest time. I don't know, their overblown image in the late 80s to 90s was just too present to me. Jagger this, Richards that, Ron and his wood, yada yada... stadium rock, "who did they screw/what did they snort" evening news reports, bleh. And while I love what they did and their place in forming "modern" RNR, what they became to stay alive in said period was exactly what I didn't wanna be and have in "my" RNR: Washed up post hippies that live to see a new day of free drugs and be a danger in the eyes of the bored everyman.

You see, I have yet to build up a openess for them again. But it's not on my hot list... ;)

Well, I don't think I have a "productive" opinion on the Stones to give here, haha.

Here for the stir

• December 10, 2012 2:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah I like this newe toon , a modern swinger/junk/garagey groove

• December 9, 2012 5:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Not bad.  I'm glad they still exist.....greatest rock band of all time in my humble opinion.

• December 7, 2012 4:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , like most of you , I suffered through some pretty heinous Stones tracks in the 80's and 90's  , only to change my view about some of them....A friend of mine once said " "Emotional Rescue" is'nt The Stones...I could'nt listen to it , every day , but , it's not bad , for what it is.". I think "Voodoo Lounge " was the beginning of getting back on track , though I still did'nt like it enough to buy it. "A Bigger Bang !" sounds like a real Stones album. All credit must go to Don Was. But , it was around that time , they started presenting themselves with a few challenges ,like playing smaller venues (Something they've done in the past , I know.) , and songs they've never tackled , live. I was trying to get a ticket to their 2003 show at The Aragon Ballroom because I knew they'd do a lot of songs they NEVER do.  I just heard a crude , but acceptable , copy of last week's (Week before?)  London concert. Not only do they still have it (Yes , mistakes were made , bit , no moreso than , say , in the Late 70's - Early 80's.) , but "Doom and Gloom" sounds pretty fucking good ,live.

• December 7, 2012 4:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

This is one of the reasons why I got into music: storytelling. Stories aside, I've loved The Stones since I was a teenager and quite like this song. Their best stuff's never dated, still sounds fresh today.

• November 11, 2012 11:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank God they are still around,gives all of us old rockers some hope.The new songs are good not to mention the Some Girls and Exile re-releases w/all those unreleased songs thats like 3 new stones albums in the last few years,Oh yeah and the new movie Cross Fire Hurricane.......All Hail the Stones!

• November 11, 2012 10:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like the song, but it took a few listens to sink in.  I think the surprising negative is there's no clear Keef hook.  The man generates hooks in his sleep.  Why didn't he distinguish "Doom and Gloom" with a strong guitar hook?  The vocal performance is what finally got me.  It's got Jaggerswagger.  It's been a while since that's been seen.  I don't think it's a great song, but it's a good song I won't turn off when it comes on the radio.  Might even sing along.  

• November 10, 2012 6:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Because the are so much better at it than Aerosmith? Because they are doing what they love, have done literally their entire adult lives, done it uniquely well, and will keep doing it into the grave--and folks are envious?

I don't know Andy C. but I agree with your observation 100%.

• November 10, 2012 5:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

p.s No one is really that pissed  that Aerosmith are releasing and touring again. In fact they're being loved for it. Why are Jagger an Richards bein picked on?

• November 9, 2012 11:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very well could be. Although I have to be responsible for a couple of days. Children in hand. I feel like I am cluttering up the latest activity here at GPH. Everyone else is out playing shows and partying. I am on vacation until the end of the year. I have a lot of time to play. Enjoy.

• November 9, 2012 10:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ArrrrrrGhhhhh!!! I wish a better translatorrrrr
      for: "you are playing steering wheel guitar to it. "

but i got the feeling i´m with you! 

:D

ps: i´m stoned again too...
      could we possibly be related??

Stoned Again Productions said:

Good point. And songs can grow on you. One minute you can't stand it.  3 weeks later you are playing steering wheel guitar to it.

Tersicore said:

I´ve heard the song the first time now, is not bad...

why should they stop music? (or even die!?!), guess is what they can do best, anyway!      As long they have people buying records and going to concerts, why not? :)

• November 9, 2012 9:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good point. And songs can grow on you. One minute you can't stand it.  3 weeks later you are playing steering wheel guitar to it.

Tersicore said:

I´ve heard the song the first time now, is not bad...

why should they stop music? (or even die!?!), guess is what they can do best, anyway!      As long they have people buying records and going to concerts, why not? :)

• November 9, 2012 9:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw them here in Austin during the big bang tour.  I thought the stage was more impressive than the Stones performance. It was their first time ever to play Austin. They played Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way. I guess they thought Austin was Hicksville USA and would be impressed. It was a live recording (DVD) and had 5 minute pauses between songs. I still had fun but it wasn't because they were playing.

• November 9, 2012 7:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did'nt catch the ZZ tOP SIMILARITY , GUESS i'D HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN. THEN AGAIN , SOME MID - LATE 70'S ZZ TOP IS'NT RADICALLY DIFFERENT THAN SOME EARLY 70'S STONES , TO MY EARS....The one time I saw The Stones , ZZ Top was the opening act. On one level , they were a LOT tighter than The Stones , but , no one really expected The Stones to be that tight in 1981 (Wyman and Watts , of course were locked into that groove the whole time.). I just saw an ad for YET ANOTHER greatest hits package , with "Doom and Gloom" and another new track . It says "Greatest Hits '62 - '02". AND WHAT DID THEY EVEN RECORD IN '62 , much less have a hit with , apart from the Litlle Boy Blue and The Blue Boys home recordings with Dick Taylor on Bass. Those recordings are a hit with ME , but , I sure could'nt see The Stones releasing any of them as part of a hits compilaton. In any case , I'm curious to see how this collection differs from "40 Licks".

• November 9, 2012 4:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ZZ Top must be right fucked off. The Stones stealin their shit. As for them giving up? Why? If all you know is music and your life is music and you're influential in your field and sell out huge gigs everytime you play. You also gain an army of fans every generation that comes along, would you give it up? I certainly wouldn't. Its not like they keep all their cash to themselves, or give anything back. Very generous as a band and as individuals. Long live the Stones. If you think they should give up? Sit and listen to 'Exile on main Street', or 'Satanic majesties' and see if ya still think the same. Do they still have aything to say? No! But then they never really did. Just good honest rawk'n'roll!

• November 8, 2012 4:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds like fairly classic Stones to me. If this was recorded 15-20 years ago but never released I couldn't tell the difference that's for sure.

• November 7, 2012 2:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like this song.
      It sounds more Blues Explosion than what Blues Explosion should sound now!  :P

• October 16, 2012 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Since "A Bigger Bang" , they've shown a lot more focus . Some of that stuff they did in the 80's and 90's ,well ....THAT made me wish they'd hang it up.This may not be a classic , but it's good, raw , Rock'n'Roll. More than we have the right to ask of 'em , but , I'll take it.

• October 14, 2012 4:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's O.K. but let's not kid ourselves that it's any kind of classic.

• October 14, 2012 4:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

like it..

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel