Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Ten Songs I Hate.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 20, 2013 2:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

With Journey , I considered saying "Anything" , too. I over heard someone today saying how much they hate "Good Vibrations , a song I neither love nor hate , BUT , "SMILEY SMILE " , TEH ALBUM IT DEBUTED ON , is the Beach Boys album for people who don't care too much for The Beach Boys. Weirded out proto - Residents shit. "GOOD VIBRATIONS" is about the most normal sounding song on it , and that song was considered a total mindfuck when it came out !

Try The Troggs' version , if you can't bear the thought of owning the original , period.

• June 19, 2013 9:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Unchained melody -The Righetous Bros

Hotel California - The Eagles

Born in the USA -Springsteen

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

...I better stop,,,,my brain is smokin'

• June 18, 2013 9:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm surprised those songs even charted THAT high. I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It was a big music market , with three competing Rock stations on FM. If a record was a hit , but could still be considered "Rock" , it got regular play....But , even then , I kind of wondered why I never heard Meat Loaf on the radio. I mean , NEVER. You reminded me of one song , "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" , I saw him do that on The Midnight Special , "You Took The Words Right Out of my Mouth" , and then there's "Hot Patootie" from Rocky Bore. Until you named those others , those were the only songs of his , besides "Paradise" I could name , or remember EVER hearing.....

DJ: Guys ! You can't say stuff sucks on the air !

Beavis: STUFF SUCKS ! STUFF SUCKS !

Butthead: Especially MEAT LOAF ! He REALLY sucks !!!!

To be fair ,"Paradise" was a long damn song , that went in about 10 directions......
      Not FM Rock - friendly . Pretty soon , I would'nt be , either.

It was a song that I heard ABOUT more than I heard. A friend of mine once did the song at Karaoke , AND HE'D NEVER HEARD IT !!!!. Did a good job, too.......he did'nt do the female part.
      Johnny Lurg said:

"Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" charted at #11 in the US and Australia. "Bat Out of Hell" (the title track) failed to chart in the US, but was #16 in the UK. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" was only #39 in the US and didn't chart anywhere else, except for the Netherlands, where it was #1.

John Battles said:

Johnny , Well , there's a big difference between the two . Some songs , I also don't HATE , but , don't know why they're manna from Heaven to so many other people whose tastes , by and large , I trust. It IS to easy to take pot - shots at Meat Loaf , tho' I was amazed that I never heard him on the radio during his commercial prime....I can name maybe , MAYBE four songs of his. Apart from the fact that Christopher Lee introduced him on SNL (And that he actually did a pretty cookin' "Let It Rock" with about 10 Guitar players , one who appeared to be Brian James (?), on another episode of the same show.) , and ,of course the Rocky Overrated Picture Show, and his one or two hits (Did they even break teh top 50? Honest , I was there , but , I only ever heard him on TV, AND THAT MOVIE , and on OverraTed Nugent's "Free For All " album , I was washed by the blood of the lamb , in that I've scardely even HEARD Meat Loaf.

Johnny Lurg said:

I don't actually HATE any of those songs either, I just was pointing out several garage rock standards which I believe are overrated, especially compared to the rest of those bands' output. I was trying to avoid easy targets like Meat Loaf and be brave enough to focus exclusively on garage.

John Battles said:

OK , I could go , ????????? , but , you've got a right to your opinion. I'm not a huge fan of "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" , but I don't hate it....same is true of "Love is All Around" , only because The Troggs had so many songs that are better than the two they're largely associated with.
      Johnny Lurg said:

1) Mouse - A Public Execution

2) The Barbarians - Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?

3) Positively 13 O'Clock - Psychotic Reaction

4) The Pretty Things - Rosalyn

5) Paul Revere & the Raiders - Kicks

6) The Strangeloves - I Want Candy

7) The Troggs - Love is All Around

8) The 13th Floor Elevators - Baby Blue

9) The Sonics - Boss Hoss

10) Mouse & the Traps - Sometimes You Just Can't Win

• June 18, 2013 10:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" charted at #11 in the US and Australia. "Bat Out of Hell" (the title track) failed to chart in the US, but was #16 in the UK. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" was only #39 in the US and didn't chart anywhere else, except for the Netherlands, where it was #1.

John Battles said:

Johnny , Well , there's a big difference between the two . Some songs , I also don't HATE , but , don't know why they're manna from Heaven to so many other people whose tastes , by and large , I trust. It IS to easy to take pot - shots at Meat Loaf , tho' I was amazed that I never heard him on the radio during his commercial prime....I can name maybe , MAYBE four songs of his. Apart from the fact that Christopher Lee introduced him on SNL (And that he actually did a pretty cookin' "Let It Rock" with about 10 Guitar players , one who appeared to be Brian James (?), on another episode of the same show.) , and ,of course the Rocky Overrated Picture Show, and his one or two hits (Did they even break teh top 50? Honest , I was there , but , I only ever heard him on TV, AND THAT MOVIE , and on OverraTed Nugent's "Free For All " album , I was washed by the blood of the lamb , in that I've scardely even HEARD Meat Loaf.

Johnny Lurg said:

I don't actually HATE any of those songs either, I just was pointing out several garage rock standards which I believe are overrated, especially compared to the rest of those bands' output. I was trying to avoid easy targets like Meat Loaf and be brave enough to focus exclusively on garage.

John Battles said:

OK , I could go , ????????? , but , you've got a right to your opinion. I'm not a huge fan of "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" , but I don't hate it....same is true of "Love is All Around" , only because The Troggs had so many songs that are better than the two they're largely associated with.
      Johnny Lurg said:

• June 17, 2013 7:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Johnny Lurg said:

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 17, 2013 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 15, 2013 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That song was HUGE in the states.....But ,  being a "One - Hit wonder" , here , most people were probably unaware they were English....So "The Land of the Dollar Bill" , I don't think that phased anyone. Now , as a kid , it had me thinking that Al Capone tried to literally take Chicago over, and wasted 100 cops a throw , as opposed to rival gangsters.....

"Billy" is a sad damned song. I thought it was about Vietnam , not The Civil War , so , it hit close to home for a young boy who'd later be accused of "Not remembering Vietnam.".

Even if you hate the song (Not saying I don't) , death discs were back - Last Kiss (Wednesday's version ), Last Game of The Season , Rocky , Emma , Run , Joey , Run , Seasons in The Sun , and so on......

• June 14, 2013 6:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I do recall "Billy Don't Be A Hero", and I'm somewhat ashamed to say that it made me sad (as it was supposed to, not sad that a band had recorded it) at the time, and I really liked it.  But this Chicago thing - it's so bad, it's almost brilliant; don't they mention "in the land of the dollar bill"?  Did anyone in the US buy this record?  If so, were they arrested and tried in court for failing to spot the corniest reference to their own country by (a band from) the country that always thinks of itself as massively superior?  Heh heh - in the land of the dollar bill, indeed!

John Battles said:

YOU'RE JUST NOW HEARING IT? Boy , I feel old.....It's one of those 70'S HITS I'M KINDA NUMB TO , NOW....Paper Lace actually had a few sorta Glam hits in Europe , like "The Black Eyed Boys". But , they commited the big blunder at the very beginning of "The Night Chicago Died"    -   "...My daddy was a cop , on the East Side of Chicago..." . The East Side of Chicago is Lake Michigan !!!! We can also thank Paper Lace for the original version of "Billy , Don't Be a Hero" , which was'nt a hit in The US.  When Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods' version was a hit , here , I thought , "Is that a girl singing?" , even moreso when their lesser , follow - up hit , "Who Do You Think You Are?" came out ..... Jello loves 'em.
      Pete Sottrel said:

"The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace. Please, if you don't know this song, do not ever listen to it."

Of course, I have now listened to it.  Can I ever be the person I was five minutes ago, before my soul was stained with the musical spew that constitutes this song? Why, why, why did I not follow the clear advice in the OP?

• June 14, 2013 5:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It is.....The ultimate demoralization for me was when I was DJing at this dive bar on New Years' Eve . Only the "Regulars" showed up , none of the younger people who later turned the place into Punk Central. The owner asked me to take five ,so the regulars could play the jukebox. You guessed it , "Hotel California", the LIVE version , yet, think I heard it three times that night.
      Ghislaine said:

Hotel Cal is the worse...AAAARRRRGGG!

• June 14, 2013 5:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU'RE JUST NOW HEARING IT? Boy , I feel old.....It's one of those 70'S HITS I'M KINDA NUMB TO , NOW....Paper Lace actually had a few sorta Glam hits in Europe , like "The Black Eyed Boys". But , they commited the big blunder at the very beginning of "The Night Chicago Died"    -   "...My daddy was a cop , on the East Side of Chicago..." . The East Side of Chicago is Lake Michigan !!!! We can also thank Paper Lace for the original version of "Billy , Don't Be a Hero" , which was'nt a hit in The US.  When Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods' version was a hit , here , I thought , "Is that a girl singing?" , even moreso when their lesser , follow - up hit , "Who Do You Think You Are?" came out ..... Jello loves 'em.
      Pete Sottrel said:

"The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace. Please, if you don't know this song, do not ever listen to it."

Of course, I have now listened to it.  Can I ever be the person I was five minutes ago, before my soul was stained with the musical spew that constitutes this song? Why, why, why did I not follow the clear advice in the OP?

• June 14, 2013 7:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the complete discography of Eminem,

bwaaaaaaaaargh!

• June 14, 2013 4:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 13, 2013 10:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Madonna covered "American Pie"? Thank Christ that escaped my radar.

BUT ! I'D LIKE TO SEE MADONNA COVERED IN AMERICAN PIE.....THEN I'D SAY "RELEASE THE RED ANTS !!!!!".

Pete Sottrel said:

Aww, c'mon!  Great comments, but the world would be a much poorer place without those three.  The Charlene and Sarstedt numbers provide great (and hilarious) insight into the megalamaniac workings of the songwriter's tortured artistic soul, while American Pie is, um, er, just totally ace (must be, otherwise Madonna would never have covered it, would she?).

Ms Springolator said:

I've Never Been to Me - Charlene. Personally I really wish she'd never been to a recording studio.

American Pie - Don McLean. If all was right with the world, he would have drove his Chevy to the levy, accelerated off the edge and then sunk to the bottom of some fathomless depth of water, where neither he nor his horrendous song would be heard again.

Where Do You Go to My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The song makes me vomit, and that's comment enough.
    • June 13, 2013 10:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hotel Cal is the worse...AAAARRRRGGG!

• June 13, 2013 10:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

mostly all you named !!! 

• June 13, 2013 5:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's OK, monkey-star, I'm not really sad.  I do love Black Flag (and The Smiths!), but I also love the way that folk are slating stuff that they don't like in this thread, perversely!

As you can see by the list of songs that I hate (the most recent one must be about 1989!), the time when I felt strong enough negative passion towards bad music has long since gone, though I can recall clearly enough feeling the badness!

You're quite right, it's not a crime to hate Black Flag and/or their songs, but I do find it hard to understand; for me, they were one of those bands that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I first heard them (especially "Thirsty and Miserable" off of Damaged).  But hey! Talking about bands that I love is massively Off Topic in a "hate" thread!  Sorry.

Even if those youngsters who wear the shirt haven't heard the band, it's a bit disappointing but...what a great logo, and what brilliant artwork!!  Who wouldn't want to wear it?

monkey-star said:

Pete Sottrel said:

This can't be coincidence.  Axel, you and monkey-star know me and just want to pull apart the very fibre of my being today, don't you?  Otherwise how to explain that The Smiths and Black Flag have been nominated in such cruel terms?!

Hey,Pete,maybe it`s my fault that you`ve become sad - i should write more attentively=)Maybe you like Black Flag music,you`re interested in the history of the band and some facts about it,ok,i don`t mind.But if i don`t like their music at all - is it a crime?And i really haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and t-shirts=)Pete,what do you think about the young girls and boys,who`ve just listened three or five songs of the band,though there are another good albums,watched a couple of videoclips or even don`t know this band at all - are they really the fans of this band or who are they??

• June 13, 2013 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pete Sottrel said:

This can't be coincidence.  Axel, you and monkey-star know me and just want to pull apart the very fibre of my being today, don't you?  Otherwise how to explain that The Smiths and Black Flag have been nominated in such cruel terms?!

Hey,Pete,maybe it`s my fault that you`ve become sad - i should write more attentively=)Maybe you like Black Flag music,you`re interested in the history of the band and some facts about it,ok,i don`t mind.But if i don`t like their music at all - is it a crime?And i really haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and t-shirts=)Pete,what do you think about the young girls and boys,who`ve just listened three or five songs of the band,though there are another good albums,watched a couple of videoclips or even don`t know this band at all - are they really the fans of this band or who are they??

• June 13, 2013 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about:

1) U2 - Bloody Sunday. Bloody awful bloke skipping around a stadium stage in soft pixie boots and a rubbish mullet, more like.

2) Simple Minds - Belfast Child. When will the Belfast child sing again?  When he/she has finally gotten rid of the memory of the crocodile tears shed by this bunch of pompous money grubbers, that's when.

3) The Alarm - 68 Guns. Stop it.

4) The Levellers - Beautiful Day.  How can it be when these Luddites are blighting our earholes with their olde English folk-punk crap?

5) New Model Army - anything.

6) The Farm - All Together Now.  Sums up the spirit of the times.

7) Wings - Mull of Kintyre.  Took over the charts for years in Britain. Popped the wrong mop top, indeed.

8) Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me.  How did this quasi-paedo rubbish get past the Quasi-Paedo Censorship Office?

9) St Winifred's School Choir - Grandma.

10) Kermit The Frog - Halfway Down The Stairs.  Why did the world need this song, then?

• June 13, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Axel Björnsson said:

nobody has mention the worst band of all time.

The Smiths. fuck them

• June 13, 2013 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Axel Björnsson said:

Are you a retard?

monkey-star said:

6)All of the Black Flag songs.Young retards dressed in their t-shirts and stupid fans have crowded the Moscow streets.

And you??I haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and "young reatards dressed in their t-shirts".It`s not the reason,really.And be more polite,ok

• June 13, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are you a retard?

monkey-star said:

6)All of the Black Flag songs.Young retards dressed in their t-shirts and stupid fans have crowded the Moscow streets.

• June 13, 2013 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

nobody has mention the worst band of all time.

The Smiths. fuck them

• June 13, 2013 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Crumbs, I half wish I hadn't stumbled across this thread, swathed as it is in relentless bitter bile.  The other half of me, of course, just can't look away.

Black Flag; I can understand how Rollins can be extremely irritating with his smug media-friendly bonhomie and poor attempts at stand-up comedy, these days, but the band itself and the songs themselves?  They just rip apart er, things that are tricky to rip apart like, er things made of metal and er, stone.  Who cares if anybody/nobody/everybody is wearing their T-shirts?  Even if it is on the streets of Moscow (does it clash with the general colour scheme?).

monkey-star said:

1)Ty Segall - The Drag.It has been played almost in every rock music podcast,radio station,public pages for a billion times and when i just hear the first notes of this song,i wanna barf.
      2)All of the Radiohead songs.
      3)Weezer - Believer.Seems,that everyone in your office have downloaded it as a ringtone on their phones.
      4)Velvet Underground - After Hours.Toooo boring.
      5)Nirvana - In Bloom.
      7)Ramones - Pet Semetary.
      8)Fifty Foot Hose - Bad Trip.Maybe i don`t understand anything in psychedelic rock,but it`s not even a song,this is a combination of horrible sounds and noises,i can`t stand it!
      9)The Red Krayola - Leejol.
      10)Executers - Put Yourself In.

• June 13, 2013 2:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1)Ty Segall - The Drag.It has been played almost in every rock music podcast,radio station,public pages for a billion times and when i just hear the first notes of this song,i wanna barf.
      2)All of the Radiohead songs.
      3)Weezer - Believer.Seems,that everyone in your office have downloaded it as a ringtone on their phones.
      4)Velvet Underground - After Hours.Toooo boring.
      5)Nirvana - In Bloom.
      7)Ramones - Pet Semetary.
      8)Fifty Foot Hose - Bad Trip.Maybe i don`t understand anything in psychedelic rock,but it`s not even a song,this is a combination of horrible sounds and noises,i can`t stand it!
      9)The Red Krayola - Leejol.
      10)Executers - Put Yourself In.

• June 13, 2013 7:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Aww, c'mon!  Great comments, but the world would be a much poorer place without those three.  The Charlene and Sarstedt numbers provide great (and hilarious) insight into the megalamaniac workings of the songwriter's tortured artistic soul, while American Pie is, um, er, just totally ace (must be, otherwise Madonna would never have covered it, would she?).

Ms Springolator said:

I've Never Been to Me - Charlene. Personally I really wish she'd never been to a recording studio.

American Pie - Don McLean. If all was right with the world, he would have drove his Chevy to the levy, accelerated off the edge and then sunk to the bottom of some fathomless depth of water, where neither he nor his horrendous song would be heard again.

Where Do You Go to My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The song makes me vomit, and that's comment enough.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel