Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Ten Songs I Hate.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 12, 2008 2:50 AM CST
    • Untitled

Bat Out Of Hell-Meat Loaf. I cheered when he died in Fight Club
      Xanadu - Olivia Newton John.
      Cocomo - Beach Boys. Due to this song I was arrested and fined $150.00
      Hall & Oates - Any song ever released, special to Rich Girl.
      Hotel California - The Eagles. Enough said!
      Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down.
      It's Still Rock'n'Roll To Me - Billy Joel.No Billy, it's lame ass MOR crap.
      The Day Chicago Died - Paper Lace. Please, if you don't know this song, do not ever listen to it.
      Instant Replay - Dan Hartman.
      In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins. Bald man,bad music.
    • July 10, 2013 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , Glitter only had one hit in the states , "Rock'n'Roll,Pt.2" , of course. He became a star in Britain and on the continent , and , I guess , Australia ,  too , because of his NON - star like qualities . He seemed like a real good - natured fellow , and , people said he was , but no one knew , yet , what he was all about. Do I still love his music ? Of course , but this is a thread that's been covered......

• July 10, 2013 9:13 AM CDT
    • Untitled

What about Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back. Bad man, good song

• July 7, 2013 9:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about Rock 'n'Roll Hits from the early to mid 70's that did'nt suck ....

1. Dwight Twilley Band - I'm On Fire .

2. Thin Lizzy -The Boys Are Back in Town.

3. Crabby Appleton - Go Back.

4. Nilsson - Jump Into The Fire.

5. John Kongos - He's Gonna Step on You Again.

6. Alice Cooper - School's Out.

7. Jo Jo Gunne - Run, Run , Run.

8. Black Oak Arkansas - Jim Dandy.

9.Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boy's Room.

10.Golden Earring - Radar Love.

11.Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean.

12. Black Sabbath - Paranoid.

13. Mountain - Mississippi Queen.

14. BTO - Hey , You.

15. Cheech and Chong - Earache My Eye.

16. Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night (Bonus points for the earlier version , only a hit in Germany.).

17. Elvis Presley - Promised Land.

18. Jerry Lee Lewis - Drinkin' Wine Spo - De - O- Dee.

19. Sweet - Ballroom Blitz.

20. Bobby "Boris " Picket - Monster Mash (Reissue , a hit for the scond time.).

Mind you , I'm just going by songs that were hits in the states , hence the dearth of great Glam Rock songs. "Get it On (Bang a Gong)" was , shamefully , T Rex's only U.S. hit , and Slade charted in teh states with "Cum on Feel Th'Noize" and "Goodbuy T'Jane" , neither song cracked the Top 50. Sweet , of course , had three other chart hits , here , but , like T Rex , failed to conquer America.

• July 6, 2013 2:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK , what about "Midnight at The Oasis" by Maria Muldair? GOD , I hate that song , even as a kid , I hated it.....I know Muldair was keen on songs with sexual content , real or implied , but this just AIN'T sexy. Especially the way her voice keeps breaking. It's one smooth , but phoned - in ,  Guitar solo by acclaimed axeman , Amos Garrett , short of total garbage. And even that's too Jazz for my taste.   A wretched cover version was a hit , I guess , a few years back. Lightning strikes twice , so does do - do.

• June 27, 2013 11:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yikes !!!!

Johnny Lurg said:

John Battles said:

"NIGGLERS?!" THAT'S A WORD THAT , TO MY KNOWLEDGE , ONLY ENGLISH PEOPLE USE. I THOUGHT CHRISTGAU WAS AMERICAN......IT'D BE PRETENTIOUS (AND PERCIEVED AS RACIST , MOST LIKELY.) TO USE THAT WORD IN A SENTENCE THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC , WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION.

I saw Faron Young on Ralph Emery's show on TNN , once. Mind you , Faron was older , and a certified NUT. EMERY QUOTED A PIECE FROM THE BRITISH PRESS , AND ASKED IF ANYONE KNEW WHAT THIS WORD "NIGGLED" MEANT. FARON YOUNG SAID "I THINK THAT'S CHARLIE PRIDE'S COUSIN !" . EVEN THE NASHVILLE AUDIENCE, AND THE OTHER GUESTS , GROANED AUDIBLY. MYSELF , I DON'T HATE FOGERTY , I JUST FIND HIM TO BE OVERRATED.

John Battles said:

DID I SAY I DID'NT KNOW THAT SONG? I DID'NT KNOW IT BY NAME , BUT I DO KNOW IT AS FOGERTY'S BASEBALL SONG. YOU COULD'NT GET AWAY FROM HIM DURING HIS FIRST COMEBACK BID , AND , YES , THERE WAS MUCH WORSE ON THE RADIO, then , LIKE JOE WALSH'S "DOWN AT THE SUNSET GRILL", FOR ONE.....Boy , you did your research . I did say that , but it was probably more like....no ,you're right , it was 35 years , Rangers Vs. Red Sox , 1978. Went to see The Monkees AFTER a Rangers game in '86. Would have watched some of the game , anyway , but , we got there as the Peter Noone - less Herman's Hermits were doing their last song. They did let us in for free. Now , the shitty seats for the last Monkees show , here , were over $100. I PASSED ON A FREE TICKET TO A FOGERTY /WILLIE NELSON BILL , ONCE. I'd be hard - pressed to name my least - favorite Willie song.

Johnny Lurg said:

According to Robert Christgau, only "nigglers" hate John Fogerty:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/cdrev/fogerty-ble.php

And here's that Fogerty song Swamis was referring to, since John Battles claims not to know it, meaning he hasn't been to a single American baseball game in the past 35+ years:

Great Dismal Swamis said:

1) John Fogerty- without the revival-
      " put me in coach"- no thanks, dick..
    • June 27, 2013 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

"NIGGLERS?!" THAT'S A WORD THAT , TO MY KNOWLEDGE , ONLY ENGLISH PEOPLE USE. I THOUGHT CHRISTGAU WAS AMERICAN......IT'D BE PRETENTIOUS (AND PERCIEVED AS RACIST , MOST LIKELY.) TO USE THAT WORD IN A SENTENCE THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC , WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION.

I saw Faron Young on Ralph Emery's show on TNN , once. Mind you , Faron was older , and a certified NUT. EMERY QUOTED A PIECE FROM THE BRITISH PRESS , AND ASKED IF ANYONE KNEW WHAT THIS WORD "NIGGLED" MEANT. FARON YOUNG SAID "I THINK THAT'S CHARLIE PRIDE'S COUSIN !" . EVEN THE NASHVILLE AUDIENCE, AND THE OTHER GUESTS , GROANED AUDIBLY. MYSELF , I DON'T HATE FOGERTY , I JUST FIND HIM TO BE OVERRATED.

John Battles said:

DID I SAY I DID'NT KNOW THAT SONG? I DID'NT KNOW IT BY NAME , BUT I DO KNOW IT AS FOGERTY'S BASEBALL SONG. YOU COULD'NT GET AWAY FROM HIM DURING HIS FIRST COMEBACK BID , AND , YES , THERE WAS MUCH WORSE ON THE RADIO, then , LIKE JOE WALSH'S "DOWN AT THE SUNSET GRILL", FOR ONE.....Boy , you did your research . I did say that , but it was probably more like....no ,you're right , it was 35 years , Rangers Vs. Red Sox , 1978. Went to see The Monkees AFTER a Rangers game in '86. Would have watched some of the game , anyway , but , we got there as the Peter Noone - less Herman's Hermits were doing their last song. They did let us in for free. Now , the shitty seats for the last Monkees show , here , were over $100. I PASSED ON A FREE TICKET TO A FOGERTY /WILLIE NELSON BILL , ONCE. I'd be hard - pressed to name my least - favorite Willie song.

Johnny Lurg said:

And here's that Fogerty song Swamis was referring to, since John Battles claims not to know it, meaning he hasn't been to a single American baseball game in the past 35+ years:

• June 27, 2013 12:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 27, 2013 12:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SORRY TO HEAR THAT. THE YOUTH OF TODAY HAVE ENOUGH OBSTACLES TO OVERCOME.THEY SHOULD'NT HAVE TO GO THROUGH SOME OF THE THINGS WE WENT THROUGH.  BUT , THEY ARE .

"THEY GIVE DISCO A NEW NAME EVERY FIVE YEARS" Craig Moore , GONN.

Johnny Lurg said:

Most younger people know it (and in many cases, like it) from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

John Battles said:

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).

• June 27, 2013 12:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 26, 2013 8:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most younger people know it (and in many cases, like it) from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

John Battles said:

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).

• June 26, 2013 8:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 25, 2013 4:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hate "The Weight" . "The Weight " I hate . Why do people think that it's so great?

"The Weight" by The BAND , surely one of the most overrated bands , ever. I know that songs that never get off the ground are Rock'n'Roll at it's finest (Any Deadhead will tell you so.), but , I never got it......They were fine as Ronnie Hawkins' backing band , but , after that , zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  I was never much of a Dylan fan , either, so their tenure with him , I know I'M SUPPOSED TO ADORE, but , I find it a BORE , BORE , BORE.

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).    I'm not knocking the sentiment expressed in this song , mind you. A few years later  , I read they did a version of "La Bamba", with new lyrics , giving themselves a CO - CREDIT !

THERE'S A REAL CREEPY COUNTRY - POP SONG , EARLY - MID 70'S , I THINK.  It sounds like a duet by a creepy older guy and a barely of age , frankly scared sounding girl. They may have been closer than that in ages , in real life , but it sounds CREEPY ! tHE CHORUS WAS "gUESS i'M gONNA sTAY wITH yOU aWHILE". Fortunately , that's all I recall.

Like a White Trash "J'etaime.".

Big Dipper - "All Going Out Together" . Beginning of my non - love affair with Alt -Rock.

Stray Cats - "Stray Cat Strut". I would not LIE to you. I heard two bands cover it in one week. One band was led by Lee Rocker , and he should have known better.

Hayze Fantayze - "Shiny Shiny" . I worked in a Pizza place in '83 , I had TO LISTEN TO THE RADIO OR MY CO-WORKER'S CRAP - METAL TAPES , most of the time (YES , LIKE SCORPIONS , 10 years past their prime !). Mercifully , this song only got airplay for about a week.

Styx - Boy, it's hard to choose ONE. Probably "Sing For The Day". Sounds like their voices were sped up to sound MORE castrato.....Speaking of which......

Four Seasons , anyone? Hard to think of just one , probably "Big Girls Don't Cry". I'm probably a little more tolerant of 'em than when I was a kid , but that voice! Grating ! I'll even take Edith Massey's version over that.

Quiet Riot - "Cum on Fell Th'Noize" , "Mama Weer All Crazy Now" - Their own stuff is no bargain , either.

Motley Crue - "Smokin' In The Boy's Room"- as above.

Krokus - "Ballroom Blitz " - as above.

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock'n'Roll"  , "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Yeah Oh Yeah.)- as above.  Don't get me wrong , I even liked the  songs she sang with the later Runaways , most of 'em , and some of her first album , but , I never got on the bandwagon. I'll take The Arrows' original "I Love Rock'n'Roll' any day ( I met Alan Merrill. He said he's tried to reach Joan Jett , but, never met her. She should have been reaching out to him , to say thanks.), and I even prefer Tommy James' version of "Do You Wanna..." , he was in on the late train to Glam covers , 5 years before Joan , even doing "Devilgate Drive" by Suzi Quatro, whose schtick was "Borrowed by Jett , like Jim Dandy's was by David Lee Roth.

• June 24, 2013 10:42 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Black Sabbath are one of the best bands in the world..I cant think saying that scorpions are close enought to black sabbath!!!

I m not listening that type of music that time of my life, im a guy of (garage,punk surf psycho-rockabilly) music.

I stop talking about scorpions/...this discusion are not for scorpion i just say my opinion...:P

keep rcoking guys!!!

• June 24, 2013 12:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA HA......But  ,  have you heard their first two albums? I was really surprised how good they were , like Black Sabbath with a bit of Pink Fairies Psychedelia thrown in. I do know , I did see Uli JoN ROTH ONCE , IT WAS SO wank! He had films of himself playing real fast , and he'd replicate what was in thE films perfectly. WOW, man !

• June 23, 2013 10:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yep, sorry John! i know you understand a bit german BUT if you would understand more you won´t like them, as well! :P

• June 23, 2013 8:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA HA! Here I am defending early Scorpions
      (As in ca. 1972.), and you've already shot 'em down , beforehand. Well done. : )

Tersicore said:

completely agree!!

and i confess: i never liked Springsteen, really! (and hate even the very early skorpions)

NoiseMaker said:

Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Unchained melody -The Righetous Bros

Hotel California - The Eagles

Born in the USA -Springsteen

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

...I better stop,,,,my brain is smokin'

• June 23, 2013 8:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

U2 is a BAND?!  Kidding.....sort of.

I don't blame you at all for hating the Scorpions , BUT , if you like aggressive , somewhat trippy , early 70's Hard Rock at all , you could do a lot worse than the first two Scorpions albums. They sound NOTHING like what they went on to become.

• June 22, 2013 3:35 PM CDT
    • Untitled

not songs...Bands : U2 and scorpions!!!!

• June 20, 2013 9:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

iF anyone CAN NAME 10 FLOCK OF FLEAGULLS songs , it's probably because they did'nt live through The 80's , and think it was a cool time. Well , probably cooler than The 90's ....and the Owts. BUT , THAT'S NOT SAYING MUCH !!!

• June 20, 2013 5:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I fuckin hate Flock of Seagulls. If anyone can name 10 songs by'em... I fuckin hate aw 10 of'em. Never mind the guys twatty hairdo. They're pish!  Black Betty by the RamJamWank! I can do without as well!

• June 20, 2013 4:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1) Dunno that song ,but , I know I already spoke about CCR. It sucks that Fogerty got fucked out of his own songs , and even got sued for "The Old Man on The Road" , for sounding too much liek one of  his own songs ! But I can't get too worked up over him or CCR ,I like a song or two here and there, I know I'm in a minority so small it's invisible to teh human eye. Not saying they're bad , just been hearing them for over 40 years. Can't get too geeked up over 'em. Gimme The Blasters , any day.

2. I liked CLAPTON , ALL RIGHT, WITH tHE YARDBIRDS AND JOHN MAYALL, IS HE OVERRATED LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER? OF COURSE. BECK TOOK THE yARDBIRDS INTO SOME really innovative twists and turns. I even like Page with The YARDBIRDS , BUT , CLAPTON WAS THERE AS LONG AS HE NEEDED TO BE ,HE WAS NOT AN "IDEA MAN"......

3. I agree , I could'nt even name a worst Eagles song for this thread. They're ALL so bad.

4. Fleetwood Mac , WEEEEELLLLL. FROM 1968 - 1970 , THEY WERE THE BADDEST WHITE BLUES BAND ON THE PLANET. With the super killer triple Guitar front line of Peter Green (Who favored CHICAGO BLUES AND VARIOUS ELECTRIC BLUES), DANNY KIRWAN (BEST ELMORE JAMES INTERPRETER THIS SIDE OF BRIAN JONES.) and Jeremy Spence (A not - so closeted 50'S Rock'n'Roll and Rockabilly enthusiast.), Fleetwood Mac could do no wrong , for a while.....Peter Green , their acknowledged leader , left , first , ostensibly because he had a very bad acid trip in Germany (As did Kirwan , reportedly.). He gave all his money to charity (Duly noted in The Clash's "Jail Guitar Doors " .), was commited to a mental hospital by his Father , and eventually decided to get back to his Jewish heritage  , even living on a Kibbutz in Israel for a time. After several comeback attempts , he was touring the world by the 90's , and putting on pretty good shows . Spencer took over as leader of the band for a while , and has only started touring again after a long absence. Kirwan joined a cult called The Children of God , he's around , somewhere....

But , please , don't judge Fleetwood Mac from the crap they recorded from 1975 on. They were once  a great band.

5. I know what you mean , tho' I find myself liking more McCartney stuff in my older age , most specifically , "Ram" and "Run Devil Run''.

6.HA HAAAAA! Beast of Burdon , My Pizza's Burnin' !

7. I know , A lot of those people did'nt own the songs , and could only make a few sheckles by re-recording them.....Sometimes , the results were'nt bad , especially Little Richard (OK , THAT'S THE  50'S) RE-MAKES FOR K-TEL, OF ALL LABELS , AFTER YEARS OF BAD REMAKES. Seriously....Some of The Equals' remakes were'nt bad , if only because they were padded out with decent cover songs and some killer originals , like "Bad Boy". The Strawberry Alarm Clock just put out a CD that's mostly remakes of their old songs , but , they're all good , and some are better than the originals. tHE TROGGS' REMAKES OF "Feels Like a Woman" and "Strange Movies" on "Black Bottom" (1980?) are good , it seems they did 'em just to have the songs on an album. But "AU", THEIR LAST (?) STUDIO LP , HAD A FEW GOOD NEW ONES , AND SOME really unnecessary remakes.....

8. I could'nt believe Ska was coming back (Again.) when it did , in the 90's. It was'nt that popular West of England during the previous revival. Some of those bands did OK , but , obviously could only have hits with non - Ska material ("I Confess" , "Our House"...)...I used to be into that stuff.Not so much , now.   BUT THIS NEW SHIT IS TERRIBLE ! I AGREE. TURN AROUND , GO BACK !

9. Don't know the song , but , it made me furious when people called 'em "Glam".

10. Don't know that song , either, but , never got it with those guys , BoDeans , Smithereens , whoever was hot in the "Adult Radio Rock" world.

• June 20, 2013 12:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2) Eric Clapton- "slow hand"- yep, the yardbirds were better without u. Jeff beck rules!
      3) Eagles- most anything... Tequilla sunrise.. El stinko
      4) Fleetwood mac- most anything. Any stevie nicks song or collboration. Ruined tom petty for Me.
      5) Wings- have a couple hooks here and there, but overall garbage.
      6) Stones- beast of burdon - que? My pizza's burnin? Rather listen to the ducktales theme song
      7) Any rercorded songs from 60s and redone because of ownership restrictions...popular in 80s. Gotta read small print. Just terrible versions.. Troggs... Especially the Animals stuff.

8) mighty mighty bosstones... Knock on wood. Ska revival of late 90s... Reverse nike symbol.. Don't do it

9) poison- every rose... I like to stab u in the eye and strangle u with those pretty Nelson brothers hair. Nuff said.
      10) proclaimers- 500 miles. I drive further to get away from this tune. Stick to whatcha know. Getting wasted.
    • June 20, 2013 4:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

completely agree!!

and i confess: i never liked Springsteen, really! (and hate even the very early skorpions)

NoiseMaker said:

Hey Jude - The Beatles

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

• June 20, 2013 3:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DEF LEPPARD. They did'nt even have a cool past like The Scorpions (First two albums , trust me. Black Sabbath meets The Pink Fairies. Heavy , but trippy.). Once , I was going to work , and I saw some kids having a party at our community pool. I STOPPED BY TO SAY "HELLO". I could tell they were into Def Leppard , I did'nt hold that against him. We had a couple of neighborhood bands that sucked , but it was good to see teens getting excited about music , ANY music......When I got home , later , I played a tape of "Rocket To Russia" . My Mom thought maybe it was the pool party band , and asked me if I'd been listening to something in my room. I said , yeah , I was listening to The Ramones. My Mom said , wow ! For a minute , I thought that band out side had gotten a LOT better !!!!

NoiseMaker said:

Hey Jude - The Beatles

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel