Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Two Voices, One Song

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 14, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Which are your favorite duet songs? 

Post the best, the sexiest, the craziest or maybe just the most interesting to you.

My fave:   (love the video!)

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion (ft. Sparky -D.a.G.)

Sparky has sooooooo sexy a voice here, wow!

A classical I love as well:

Johnny Cash & june Carter - Jackson

• November 25, 2012 2:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I also love "TRAMP!" "WHAT?!!"  "YOU KNOW WHAT , OTIS , YOU'RE COUNTRY !!!!"

• November 24, 2012 10:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Otis and Carla.  I love this song...

• November 23, 2012 10:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I mean , the Guitar Player changed from his plain black stage gear into a Captain Kirk costume after the show ! The DJ played "Where's Captain Kirk" during the soundcheck. He started playing along going "OOOOOOoooooooooowwwwOOOOOOOOO"

John Battles said:

I'M HAVING TROUBLE FINDING IT , BUT , i KNOW SEVERAL OF YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE REZILLOS. I JUST SAWTHEM , LAST NIGHT , AND THEY WERE JUST INCREDIBLE. PART OF ME DID'NT BELIEVE IT WAS HAPPENING....THEY REALLY SOUNDED GREAT , SO MUCH ENERGY FOR ANY AGE . FAY REALLY HAS AN EXCEPTIONAL VOICE. SOMEHOW , EUGENE'S GRUFF VOCALS WORK AS A PERFECT FOIL.....ANYONE WHO CAN SING "RIVER DEEP , MOUNTAIN HIGH' AND NOT FUCK IT UP IS A SINGER'S SINGER......THEY REALLY LOVE DOING THIS , STILL. THE WHOLE BAND. VERY NICE PEOPLE , TOO , VERY UNPRETENTIOUS. YOU KIND OF HAVE TO BE TO RUN AROUND THE ENTIRE VENUE , AFTER YOUR GIG , IN A CAPTAIN KIRK COSTUME !

• November 22, 2012 7:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'M HAVING TROUBLE FINDING IT , BUT , i KNOW SEVERAL OF YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE REZILLOS. I JUST SAWTHEM , LAST NIGHT , AND THEY WERE JUST INCREDIBLE. PART OF ME DID'NT BELIEVE IT WAS HAPPENING....THEY REALLY SOUNDED GREAT , SO MUCH ENERGY FOR ANY AGE . FAY REALLY HAS AN EXCEPTIONAL VOICE. SOMEHOW , EUGENE'S GRUFF VOCALS WORK AS A PERFECT FOIL.....ANYONE WHO CAN SING "RIVER DEEP , MOUNTAIN HIGH' AND NOT FUCK IT UP IS A SINGER'S SINGER......THEY REALLY LOVE DOING THIS , STILL. THE WHOLE BAND. VERY NICE PEOPLE , TOO , VERY UNPRETENTIOUS. YOU KIND OF HAVE TO BE TO RUN AROUND THE ENTIRE VENUE , AFTER YOUR GIG , IN A CAPTAIN KIRK COSTUME !

• November 22, 2012 4:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good thing I've got no self-control then....;-)

Tersicore said:

Hey Nero, you´re not suppose to resist from putting up a cool song like this! :)

Danke!

Nero said:

Couldn't resist putting up this gloriously trashy Revillos tune, featuring, of course the two voices of Eugene Reynolds and Fay Fife. Dig that crazy guitar solo!

Greg Hanson said:

The Rezillos and Revillos are incredible. I'm pissed I missed them in their heyday. 

Destination Venus is such a great track, to which I was introduced by Man or Astro-Man? who do a good cover as well. I think this live version is the best - the studio one is killer but there's an amazing atmosphere and energy to this one that is (only slightly) missing on the studio recording.

Andy Climax said:

If ye've got any push across there John. Could you get the Kennedys back together and in the spirit of bands touring albums from long ago which seems to be the 'thing' just now. Get them to tour Plastic Surgery Disaster. Me an Jello need to sit down and have a long chat about this, that, and the other. On the subject of bands touring. I'm off to Glasgow on Friday to see 'The Swans'. One of my alltime bands. Original lineup as well. Cannae wait. Saw them the 1st time in 89 and have seen them a few times since. I think the wife is doing her hair that night haha (she hates the Swans) Would love them to tour the Cop or Greed albums.... Preferably both. Enjoy the Rezillos. Hell! theres nodoubtin' you will.

• November 22, 2012 2:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Nero, you´re not suppose to resist from putting up a cool song like this! :)

Danke!

Nero said:

Couldn't resist putting up this gloriously trashy Revillos tune, featuring, of course the two voices of Eugene Reynolds and Fay Fife. Dig that crazy guitar solo!

Greg Hanson said:

The Rezillos and Revillos are incredible. I'm pissed I missed them in their heyday. 

Destination Venus is such a great track, to which I was introduced by Man or Astro-Man? who do a good cover as well. I think this live version is the best - the studio one is killer but there's an amazing atmosphere and energy to this one that is (only slightly) missing on the studio recording.

Andy Climax said:

If ye've got any push across there John. Could you get the Kennedys back together and in the spirit of bands touring albums from long ago which seems to be the 'thing' just now. Get them to tour Plastic Surgery Disaster. Me an Jello need to sit down and have a long chat about this, that, and the other. On the subject of bands touring. I'm off to Glasgow on Friday to see 'The Swans'. One of my alltime bands. Original lineup as well. Cannae wait. Saw them the 1st time in 89 and have seen them a few times since. I think the wife is doing her hair that night haha (she hates the Swans) Would love them to tour the Cop or Greed albums.... Preferably both. Enjoy the Rezillos. Hell! theres nodoubtin' you will.

• November 22, 2012 12:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Greg Hanson said:

Andy Climax said:

• November 22, 2012 12:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

• November 22, 2012 12:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA HA
      did they get drunk at BBC-recording? They are misplaying, aren´t they? :D

Tersicore said:

I can´t skip two of my youth´s Heroes, even if too treacly in here...

• November 22, 2012 12:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can´t skip two of my youth´s Heroes, even if too treacly in here...

To John, 
      we went brazenly Off Topic, what about to become friends and use another channel? 
      :D

ps: Sure, i know Johnny Cash´s Bio and so June´s as well!

• November 21, 2012 2:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course , in Chicago , we have every language spoken that you could imagine....I'm sure you noticed that when you were here... I used to help a couple of my neighbors with their English lessons , just because I could see they were trying, and deserved to be encouraged.

Whatever language you're trying to learn, you do have to be around people who speak it fluently to  pick up on certain , more subtle things. Of course , Castillo , or Castillian Spanish is radically different from Mexican Spanish. I'm certainly not fluent in Spanish ,but , I live near a Mexican community , and , even though a lot of them speak English, I try to pick up on things they're saying in Spanish.

Of course , Johnny and June did some other great duets, like "If I Were a Carpenter" and "It Ain't Me , Babe". June started out as a comedian , if you've ever seen early footage from Th 50'S.

Tersicore said:

Hey John! Thank YOU for your kind words of encouragement!!

(Haha, too funny!... but looks like we do have in Europe some schools for raping German, Italian and other languages, as well!) :D

My English´s been better at the time i was living in Chicago for half a year, about 20 Years ago but since then it got worse and worse, of course.
      Languages always needs to be trained and this´s what i´m trying to do   here now but sometimes when you guys talks is just Greek to me, so i go   on the theory that my knowledge can´t be that good! Adding at that my   (by now) poor vocabulary... at times i think i could sound boring, you know? BUT I´ll SPEAK UP ANYWAY AND YOU GUYS HAVE TO SUFFER! :D

Is much better to speak spanish in Mexico, so you are much less "Gringo" ;)

John Battles said:

AND , THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS , TERSICORE.

YOU'RE CERTAINLY NOT RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE , HERE , QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

IF YOU WENT TO OUR SCHOOLS , YOU MIGHT HAVE LEARNED HOW TO........

and

Teriscore , Hey , never apologize for your English. I think it's great that people make an effort to learn. It's not as though I speak Spanish fluently , but, people dig it when I try. When I go to Mexico , much of it comes back to me.If you were ever able to visit The US , or , even Britain , I think you'd find your English is better than you give yourself credit for.

Tersicore said:

WoW!  Sounds cool!! Thanx

Copy the embed code you find under the YT-clip: (>share>embed) and paste on "media". sorry my english sucks, hope you got it! 

ROCKANDROLLSEN said:

**BUD AND KATHY - HANG IT OUT TO DRY

Im new to this, how do I get it to come up with a thumbnail of the video. 

• November 21, 2012 7:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You´re right, for sure there is more than "Jackson" and
      even better than this, but i can´t recall right now..

"..someone who know the words...." She´s so cute!

A´m agree about Sparky, he should carry on with a solo career, as well.

I like his voice immensely!
      To be honest after seen his face without makeup i´ve also realized how
      HOT this guy is! (I can´t help it, i love scars!)

John Battles said:

Boy , I've never heard Sparky singing in a context like THIS.   I saw Demented Are Go several years ago , and , by that time , they'd already lost any Rockabilly influence , sounding more like Motorhead than any of their records I had.....That's OK , it was entertaining. But , Sparky might have himself a future as a Murder Balladeer , ala Nick Cave.

"Jackson" , nothing that needs to be added , is there?

• November 21, 2012 6:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey John! Thank YOU for your kind words of encouragement!!

(Haha, too funny!... but looks like we do have in Europe some schools for raping German, Italian and other languages, as well!) :D

My English´s been better at the time i was living in Chicago for half a year, about 20 Years ago but since then it got worse and worse, of course.
      Languages always needs to be trained and this´s what i´m trying to do   here now but sometimes when you guys talks is just Greek to me, so i go   on the theory that my knowledge can´t be that good! Adding at that my   (by now) poor vocabulary... at times i think i could sound boring, you know? BUT I´ll SPEAK UP ANYWAY AND YOU GUYS HAVE TO SUFFER! :D

Is much better to speak spanish in Mexico, so you are much less "Gringo" ;)

John Battles said:

and

Teriscore , Hey , never apologize for your English. I think it's great that people make an effort to learn. It's not as though I speak Spanish fluently , but, people dig it when I try. When I go to Mexico , much of it comes back to me.If you were ever able to visit The US , or , even Britain , I think you'd find your English is better than you give yourself credit for.

Tersicore said:

Copy the embed code you find under the YT-clip: (>share>embed) and paste on "media". sorry my english sucks, hope you got it! 

ROCKANDROLLSEN said:

• November 20, 2012 9:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was in touch with Exene ,for a while , on My Space. I asked her,  did she know about Beavis and Butthead doing the riff from "Nausea" (" DEEEHHH DEEEHHH DAAA NAAA DAA NAA DEHHHH DEHHHHH!!!!".) In a couple of cartoons. She said yes !

John Battles said:

I know this belongs somewhere else , but some people were saying X had sold out as early as "Under The Big Black Sun" , their third album. One friend even told me John and Exene were "Sellouts" just because they were married instead of just living together ! HUH?!! What a load doo doo caca poo poo shiser.

It was'nt until "Ain't Love Grand" (As Nero noted.) that they lost the script. Maybe they were pressured into doing something ''Commercially viable"  for the first time. But , I saw 'em on that tour, and those songs sounded all right , live. It helped that Dave Alvin was there. Not surprising that he could handle more hard - edged stuff , as he'd played on The Flesheaters' best album.   A couple of years later , when they resurfaced with "See How We Are" , they sounded more Roots than Punk , but coughed up some good songs with none of that annoying studo sheen from the previous LP.

Tersicore said:

Yep Nero, on acoustic background both sounds great as well!
      Thanx, never heard before!

Nero said:

Gotta admit, I'm a huge X fan myself. I'd go so far as to rate the first four albums, up to 'More Fun In The New World'; could never get past the terrible sound of 'Ain't Love Grand', though. However, the Knitters did do a great version of 'Burning House of Love', which is surely tailor made for this thread that you've got going!

Tersicore said:

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:
      (BTW:sorry for raping your language!)

DAMN! I wish so bad, i had been present, among the audience!!
      but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 18, 2012 11:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Melissa , Yes , I remember The Living End. They were poised for big success in The US , but , it never happened. A friend made me a tape of their first AMERICAN RELEASE. iT SOUNDED LIKE A THIRD RATE SOCIAL DISTORTION WITH A WEE BIT MORE ROCKABILLY OVERTONES (Which is'nt saying much , as Social "D" HAS ABOUT as much Rockabilly influence as Bruce Springsteen or REM.).

melissa scott said:

*laughe* That's Chris Cheney from The Living End (they're 'listed' as a 'psychobilly' band *sigh*) but to me they always sounded like a low-rent Green Day. You haven't missed much. Best thing I liked from him was this duet.

Cheney's an Aussie who's re-located to LA and opened a recording studio. Bye-Bye!

M

John Battles said:

Chrissy reminds me of Marianne Faithfull , especially here , and given the choice of song , it works beautifully to pit her with whoever the Hell this young guy is (Sorry , DUNNO.). There's a cougar that just clawed somebody's eyes out.

melissa scott said:

Ok, I'll repeat myself and post this one again here, cuz I was just yackin' with Annie Oaktree about how much I love Chrissy Amphlett -- sorry to others here who've already heard this one... but... I really love this duet -- it's sounds nastier somehow as Chrissy has a few years on the young man she's singin' with. Call it the Cougar version? I like... Ok, Chris Cheney is outclassed here, sorry boys...

I like this show's duets because the artists clearly have very little rehearsal time -- so it's all pretty raw.and that's the way we like it here in the Hideout...

• November 18, 2012 11:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tersicore said:

ROCKANDROLLSEN said:

• November 18, 2012 7:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

*laughe* That's Chris Cheney from The Living End (they're 'listed' as a 'psychobilly' band *sigh*) but to me they always sounded like a low-rent Green Day. You haven't missed much. Best thing I liked from him was this duet.

Cheney's an Aussie who's re-located to LA and opened a recording studio. Bye-Bye!

M

John Battles said:

Chrissy reminds me of Marianne Faithfull , especially here , and given the choice of song , it works beautifully to pit her with whoever the Hell this young guy is (Sorry , DUNNO.). There's a cougar that just clawed somebody's eyes out.

melissa scott said:

Ok, I'll repeat myself and post this one again here, cuz I was just yackin' with Annie Oaktree about how much I love Chrissy Amphlett -- sorry to others here who've already heard this one... but... I really love this duet -- it's sounds nastier somehow as Chrissy has a few years on the young man she's singin' with. Call it the Cougar version? I like... Ok, Chris Cheney is outclassed here, sorry boys...

I like this show's duets because the artists clearly have very little rehearsal time -- so it's all pretty raw.and that's the way we like it here in the Hideout...

• November 18, 2012 6:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boy , I've never heard Sparky singing in a context like THIS.   I saw Demented Are Go several years ago , and , by that time , they'd already lost any Rockabilly influence , sounding more like Motorhead than any of their records I had.....That's OK , it was entertaining. But , Sparky might have himself a future as a Murder Balladeer , ala Nick Cave.

"Jackson" , nothing that needs to be added , is there?

• November 18, 2012 6:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

melissa scott said:

• November 18, 2012 6:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know this belongs somewhere else , but some people were saying X had sold out as early as "Under The Big Black Sun" , their third album. One friend even told me John and Exene were "Sellouts" just because they were married instead of just living together ! HUH?!! What a load doo doo caca poo poo shiser.

It was'nt until "Ain't Love Grand" (As Nero noted.) that they lost the script. Maybe they were pressured into doing something ''Commercially viable"  for the first time. But , I saw 'em on that tour, and those songs sounded all right , live. It helped that Dave Alvin was there. Not surprising that he could handle more hard - edged stuff , as he'd played on The Flesheaters' best album.   A couple of years later , when they resurfaced with "See How We Are" , they sounded more Roots than Punk , but coughed up some good songs with none of that annoying studo sheen from the previous LP.

Tersicore said:

Nero said:

Gotta admit, I'm a huge X fan myself. I'd go so far as to rate the first four albums, up to 'More Fun In The New World'; could never get past the terrible sound of 'Ain't Love Grand', though. However, the Knitters did do a great version of 'Burning House of Love', which is surely tailor made for this thread that you've got going!

Tersicore said:

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:

but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 15, 2012 7:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 6:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nero said:

Tersicore said:

John Battles said:

• November 15, 2012 5:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Melissa, he he, i know who you mean now!
      You are welcome to post the really cool ones in here too, if you like!

and i´m sure you´re right, the best duets remain the improvised on crazy nights!

melissa scott said:

Like cool duets? Check out the Rockwiz duets on YouTube -- some really cool ones featured on that show (shot at The Espy, in Melbourne). I've posted some of my faves elsewhere on the Hideout, including some killers with Chrissy Amphlett :D.

I can't go past the vocal pairings in X as faves (already mentioned above) still the best in my book. 

Best duets are the impromptu ones that occur at live shows when different bands get together on a crazy night. Most of the time, they're left unrecorded, etched in the audience's memory.

• November 15, 2012 5:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tersicore said:

John Battles said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel