Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite albums from the first Punk era, '76-'80

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • October 11, 2008 10:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You got to age the Misfits-Static Age to great punks records of that era.
    • September 13, 2013 7:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Mine? See what you think of this:

Ramones: first two albums
      Crime's self titled
      The Cramps: Off The Bone
      The Stooges: Raw Power
      I know the last one was recorded in 1973, but pink started in Switzerland in 1916. Only it was called Dada.
    • September 18, 2013 11:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's way too many, but I'd go with Drop Out With The Barracudas!

• October 3, 2013 10:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not sure if anyone mentioned any Canadian punk yet.

Pointed Sticks!!

• October 3, 2013 10:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and Teenage Head!

• November 10, 2013 9:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

anything NYC punk/Omfug CBGB's related 

• November 10, 2013 9:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

anything nyc related, cbgb's omfug era.....

• November 10, 2013 9:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sorry double post stupid computers here :(

• November 11, 2013 2:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1) the clash "the clash"

2) devo "are we not men.."

3) ultravox "ultravox"

4) gerrms "gi"

• November 11, 2013 5:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Nervebreakers' "We Want Everything" , tho' it was released about 15 years after it was recorded.

F.U.2 (First LP) - The second greatest hoax in Punk Rock History. Members of The Downliners Sect and mates pose as a Punk band , and make a better show of it than most of the competition.

Los Punk Rockers (Only LP) - Thee greatest hoax in Punk Rock History.  A cheapie label in Spain hits on the big , bright idea to do a Punk exploitation record , covering the whole of "Never Mind The Bollocks".    A thoroughly inept studio band grapples with the English language ( I can relate . I'd be hopeless trying to sing in Castillian Spanish , too .) and with their instruments. They lose on both counts . In other words , Punk as fuck.  You may never listen to The Pistols the same way , again.

"Are We Too Late For The Trend" - Does'nt look like this remarkably consistent Dallas /Ft. Worth comp from '79 will even see reissue , which is a damned shame. I hope I'm wrong. The Nervebreakers , Telefones / E=MC2 , Superman's Girlfriend , Vomit Pigs , Control , Plastic Idols , Smegma , Barry Kooda , even Blindate , who look like they should be playing at a fern bar , or opening for the likes of Savvy , Shotgun or The U.S. Kids , all deliver the goods. 

• November 11, 2013 5:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Nervebreakers' "We Want Everything" , tho' it was released about 15 years after it was recorded.

F.U.2 (First LP) - The second greatest hoax in Punk Rock History. Members of The Downliners Sect and mates pose as a Punk band , and make a better show of it than most of the competition.

Los Punk Rockers (Only LP) - Thee greatest hoax in Punk Rock History.  A cheapie label in Spain hits on the big , bright idea to do a Punk exploitation record , covering the whole of "Never Mind The Bollocks".    A thoroughly inept studio band grapples with the English language ( I can relate . I'd be hopeless trying to sing in Castillian Spanish , too .) and with their instruments. They lose on both counts . In other words , Punk as fuck.  You may never listen to The Pistols the same way , again.

"Are We Too Late For The Trend" - Does'nt look like this remarkably consistent Dallas /Ft. Worth comp from '79 will even see reissue , which is a damned shame. I hope I'm wrong. The Nervebreakers , Telefones / E=MC2 , Superman's Girlfriend , Vomit Pigs , Control , Plastic Idols , Smegma , Barry Kooda , even Blindate , who look like they should be playing at a fern bar , or opening for the likes of Savvy , Shotgun or The U.S. Kids , all deliver the goods. 

• November 11, 2013 5:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry about my double post , too.

But , while I'm here.....

Hubble Bubble (s/t) - Yes , the same Belgian Punk band that Plastic Bertrand got his start with (On bass). For all the grief Elastica got for lifting "Connection" from that Fall song , or that one song that sounds nothing like "No More Heroes" by The Stranglers from "No More Heroes" by The Stanglers , it's amazing no one noticed how uncannily "Annie " sounded like "Freaks....Out" by Hubble Bubble. Then again , when I first heard "Connection" on the radio , I thought it was "Message To Charlie" by Lithium Xmas.

• November 16, 2013 10:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Cramps' Songs the Lord Taught Us, The Clash's debut and I'm Stranded by The Saints.

• November 17, 2013 12:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Songs The Lord Taught us" is definitely high up there with me , too. The Cramps were , as Lux said , one thing separate from this universe. It was Punk , but , it was something not of this world , too. They GOT it , that Rockabilly was the original Punk Rock music , and the wildness most Rockabilly bands lack today , they had , in spades.  Lux said that Spin magazine did a big feature on CBGB's , and name checked every band nown to have played in the early days , but conveniently snubbed The Cramps. He said he phoned them to ask , WTF ? They said "Oh , we had a meeting , and decided you were'nt really Punk , you were just WEIRD ! ", and he said , we did all these shows at CBGS' ( I forget , 150 or something.) and played once a month at Max's (When a lot of bands could not play both venues.) , we supported The Ramones , The Dead Boys , and , now someone's saying we're not Punk ? 

My favorite Saints' album is "Eternally Yours". I LIKE THAT IT GOES AGAINST THE GRAIN.....But I like the first three albums , and the last two (that I KNOW OF.) , a return to the Punk sound.

I GUESS THE BIG THREE , TO A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE "THE CLASH" , "BOLLOCKS", and "Damned Damned Damned" . ALSO "IN THE CITY " BY THE JAM. You can say it was'nt Punk , but , it was very influential. sO WERE tHE sTRANGLERS' FIRST TWO ALBUMS , x- rAY sPEX'S lone album (Discounting the reunion CS.) . Then , there's Eater , The Lurkers , The Boys , SLF , EDDIE AND THE HOT RODS , Buzzcocks , Rezillos , Undertones , vIBRATORS, sLAUGHTER AND tHE doGS, etc.

SOME OF MY (AMERICAN) FAVORITES ARE - DICTATORS (GO GIRL CRAZY ) , FIRST FOUR RAMONES LPs , plus "It's Alive" , Heartbreakers (lamf , dtk.) , Suicide (1ST lp) , Dead Boys (Young , LOUD AND sNOTTY) , The Real Kids  FIRST TWO, and dammit , "DMZ" is better than you've been told , X - fIRST TWO (tHO' i'D ONLY CALL "aIN'T lOVE gRAND " BAD.) , pERE uBU (tHE mODERN dANCE) - yOU CAN SAY IT'S NOT pUNK , BUT , LIKE THE cRAMPS , THEY WERE WITHIN AND WITHOUT THE PUNK SCENE....

FAVORITE JOKE BANDS - THE DICKIES , THE REZILLOS (THO' NEITHER BAND IS JOKING WHEN IT COMES TIME TO PLAY.) , LOS PUNK ROCKERS ,

THE CICHLIDS (FROM FLORIDA. IRRESISTABLE BUBBLE GUM /PUNK HOOKS AND GREAT TASTE IN COVERS.)  

• November 17, 2013 12:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oh , I almost forgot , Captain Led and The Letdowns from St. Louis. Great THEATRICAL jOKE - pUNK. tHEY EVEN HAD A SONG ABOUT BEEFALO.

• November 20, 2013 11:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Great choice!

• November 21, 2013 2:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you.  It seems like it MIGHT have been legally reissued , recently , tho' I doubt it. I asked Don Craine if he thought the two F.U.2 records would be re- released , and he said , it's doubtful. In true exploitation fashion , they were paid a flat fee to record the albums , and did 'nt own the rights. Of course , a few songs turned up on Sect releases.

• November 21, 2013 7:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That F.U.2 album RULES. That was re-issued last year by "1-2-3-4-GO!" records.

John, what you said about DMZ is so true. That album rules. Production ain't bad at all.

1. First 4 Ramones albums

2. Dictators- Go Girl Crazy ('75 but whatever)

3. Teenage Head- S/T

4. Saints (first two)

5. PACK- S/T

6. Real Kids- S/T

7. DMZ- S/T

8. Kids (first two)

9. Undertones- S/T

10. Boys- S/T

Honourable mentions: Lurkers first two, LAMF, Stiff Little Fingers first two, Gears- Rockin at Ground Zero, Ivy Green-S/T, Clash-S/T, Hubble Bubble- S/T.

Comps:

Pagans- Shit Street

Nervous Eaters- Eatervilel Vol 1

Real Kids- Grown Up Wrong (prefer this to the album actually)
      Zeros- Don't Push Me Around
      Black Flag- First Four Years

• November 21, 2013 7:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Regarding Canadian Punk of that era,

It seems like most of the best before 1980 was EP's and Singles, save for Teenage Head, and the Forgotten Rebels.
      If we're gonna go before '76 though, Simply Saucer- Cyborgs Revisted is the best Proto punk from Canada.

Some fav Canadian songs are:

The Action- Downtown Boy

Bureaucrats- Grown Up Age

Viletones- Possibilities

K-Tels (aka Young Canadians)- Automan

Pointed Sticks- What do you want me to do

Da Slyme - Rocket in my Pocket

63 Monroe- Hi Jack Victim

Modernettes- Barbra

Rock'n'roll Bitches- Someone's gonna lose an Eye
      The Fits- Bored of Education

• November 21, 2013 8:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently heard the Reactions' "Talk Talk Talk Talk"!  It's damn cool!Cool

http://youtu.be/xDK5tk5iZlw

E.J. Matze said:

Streets is a compilation album of early British punk rock bands from a variety of independent record labels.

Side one
      "Trash" by The Doll
      "Fear on the Streets" by The Members
      "Be My Prisoner" by The Lurkers
      "Isgodaman" by Arthur Comics
      "Arabs in 'Arrads" by The art attacks
      "19" by Dogs
      "Talk Talk Talk Talk" by Reaction
      "College Girls" by Cane
      Side two
      "Cranked Up Really High" by Slaughter & the Dogs
      "Ain't Bin to No Music School" by The Nosebleeds
      "Lookalikes" by The Drones
      "Hungry" by Zeros
      "Bend and Flush" by The Pork Dukes
      "Disaster Movie" by Exile
      "Jerkin" by Drive
      "Innocents" by John Cooper Clarke
      "No More Rock 'n' Roll" by Tractor

• November 24, 2013 10:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Back in Your Life by Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers! It's so beautiful, and what's more punk than off-kilter bostonian doo-wop??

• November 26, 2013 8:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LIKE PACK'S LP.....IT'S NOT MY FAVORITE , NOR ARE THE KIDS , BUT , I LIKE THEM , TOO. "POSSIBILITIES" IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES , TOO.

LECKIE FOR MAYOR !!!  Nervous Eaters - Eaterville. Hell , yeah .   Real Kids - S/T and Grown Up Wrong !!!! Bosstown , you're my home.

WELL I LOVE THOSE NERVOUS EATERS , I LOVE THE REAL KIDS , LOVE THAT DMZ , HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT BARRENCE WHITFIELD? HE'S THE MAN , HE'S THE MAN......

• November 27, 2013 9:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Several Ramones albums and the Vibrators' Pure Mania. 

There's a nice Zeros video on YouTube (left hand Bass player Cool)!

• November 28, 2013 12:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

JOHN: I have never heard of Barrence Whitfield. I'm reading about him now though. I'll check him out later today!

I think that Pack LP is in the top 5 best Punk albums of the 70's. Up there with the Ramones, Saints and Teenage Heads first album

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel