Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: R.I.P. B.B. Cunningham

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 15, 2012 4:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The lead singer of The Hombres, most famous for "Let it Out (Let it All Hang Out)" was shot and killed in Memphis early Sunday.

He was working as a security guard in an apartment complex (at the age of 70!) Apparently he heard gunfire in a nearby complex, went to investigate and got killed.

In addition to The Hombres, Cunningham also played in Jerry Lee Lewis' band in the '90s.

An obit is here: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/oct/14/east-memphis-shooting-leaves-two-dead/

"Let it Out (Let it All Hang Out)" is the opening theme song of my local radio show. In his honor, tonight I played it twice.

• October 16, 2012 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Someone just posted RIP re BB Cunningham on one of the YouTube Uploads for "Electrode" -- playing it now.

And Fuzzmeister -- if I recall, the Australian gov't has upped the retirement age for pension eligibility... Wonder what will happen in the US if there is a change of gov't.

Your point re age and work is well-taken. Then again, if we supported our musical legends properly they might not have to do anything but the work they love and are meant to do.

Thanks for the food for thought. Mel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ye-pBipf8

Fuzzmeister said:

Is this the same BB Cunnigham that did the instro "Electrode"?

In any case, sad that anyone still has to work at 70, no matter what kinda job.

My old band Arctic Circles used to do Let it All Hang Out live, as I'm sure many other bands did and no doubt still do. A classic.

RIP
    • October 16, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is this the same BB Cunnigham that did the instro "Electrode"?

In any case, sad that anyone still has to work at 70, no matter what kinda job.

My old band Arctic Circles used to do Let it All Hang Out live, as I'm sure many other bands did and no doubt still do. A classic.

RIP
    • October 15, 2012 6:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IT MAKES ME FUCKING SICK , MAN.   BTW , CUNNINGHAM WAS STILL JERRY LEE'S BASSIST AS OF LATE LAST YEAR WHEN I LAST SAW JERRY LEE , AND , NO DOUBT , HAD'NT RETIRED , BUT NEEDED A DEMEANING AND DANGEROUS SHIT JOB LIKE THIS TO PAY THE BILLS. I SAW B.B. DO A SOLO SHOW WITH JAMES BURTON ON GUITAR AT THE PONDEROSA STOMP. IT WAS GREAT. OF COURSE , HE DID "LET IT ALL HANG OUT" (DR. IRA MADE HIM DO IT TWICE !), AND HIS EARLIER ROCKER "BANDSTAND ROCK". HE BROUGHT SO MUCH TO JLL'S BACKING BAND. THE KILLER ALWAYS HAD FINE GUITARISTS LIKE KENNY LOVELACE AND JAMES BURTON IN HIS BACKING BANDS , BUT , USUALLY , CLUELESS BASSISTS AND DRUMMERS , WHENEVER I'VE SEEN HIM IN THE PAST 25 - PLUS YEARS. THAT SHIT STOPPED WHEN B.B. ENTERRED THE PICTURE. CUNNINGHAM MAY NOT BE HELD IN AS HIGH REGARD AS DONALD "DUCK" DUNN  IN MEMPHIS , BUT , HE WAS WELL RESPECTED , AND JUST DESERVED BETTER.

• October 15, 2012 4:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the posting swt -- a senseless, crazy crime. Such a loss.

Mel

• October 15, 2012 9:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn, that's horrible. Thanks for posting.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel