Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Just got banned by Steve Hoffman Forum for posting this:

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 28, 2013 6:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One more Seeds mono question for Alec Palao

Me: On the Steve Hoffman forum, the host wrote this about the first Seeds album:
      "A few years ago I was going to work on a reissue until I found out that the actual mono tapes were dumped and all that existed in master form was the fake stereo. Their solution? Just fold to mono. They couldn't have saved one reel? Grrrrrrr."
      That quote is confusing many people on the forum. Any comment?
      Alec: ....the attached is my response to Hoffman. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
      (When pulling out this scan, I remembered something interesting - as you can see, they originally intended using the unedited PTH.)
      UPDATE: A few minutes after posting this on Steve Hoffman's site, I was blacklisted as spammer. Strange.
    • June 3, 2013 8:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU'RE NOT KIDDIN'....."FUTURE" WAS NEVER MY FAVORITE , THOUGH THERE WERE OBVIOUS STANDOUTS. WHEN THEY REMIXED TWO SONGS FOR THE "TRAVEL WITH YOUR MIND " SET, THEY WERE LIKE , FULL POTENTIAL REALIZED , SO , WHO KNOWS?

"RAW AND ALIVE" , OF COURSE , HAD THE AUDIENCE FROM A BEACH BOYS SHOW DUBBED IN (THAT'S THE URBAN LEGEND , ANYWAY.) DROWNING OUT THE GUITARS , ESPECIALLY , AND OTHER PARTS. FOR A BAND ON IT'S WAY OUT (IN THAT CONFIGURATION.) , THEY SURE COUGHED UP SOME GREAT NEW SONGS. WHICH OTHER SHOW DO YOU MEAN ? THE UNDUBBED FAN RECORDING FROM THAT TIME ? THEY  STILL HAD IT , AS A LIVE BAND , AND THAT RECORDING WILL PUT TO PAID ANY DOUBTS , BUT , IF THERE'S MORE , STILL , THIS IS AN EVEN BETTER TIME TO BE A SEEDS FAN. 

• June 3, 2013 7:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jymn Parrett said:

Thank you. Half the tracks on Full Spoon have joined my playlist. I LOVE the sound of that album. WOS is a slight disappointment mostly because Tripmaker and Pictures and Designs are fantastic songs mixed badly.I believe Future will be the most revelatory IMH but Faw and Alive should kick some major ass - especially the other concert on the CD. Wow. Great time to be a Seeds fan. 

John Battles said:

Jymn , I did'nt know , before , that you wrote the "Web of Sound" review in Ugly Things. Good review.   I just saw it , yesterday . The mono mix is one Web of Sound you'll want to be mixed in. I like the mono "Full Spoon of Seedy Blues" , too .....you're right , it's an album that does'nt deserve the bad rep it has. First two are still my faves , but , I find myself liking "Full Spoon" more with each listen. Too bad no one will ever re-mix "Raw and Alive".......or will they ?

• June 3, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you. Half the tracks on Full Spoon have joined my playlist. I LOVE the sound of that album. WOS is a slight disappointment mostly because Tripmaker and Pictures and Designs are fantastic songs mixed badly.I believe Future will be the most retaliatory IMH but Faw and Alive should kick some major ass - especially the other concert on the CD. Wow. Great time to be a Seeds fan. 

John Battles said:

Jymn , I did'nt know , before , that you wrote the "Web of Sound" review in Ugly Things. Good review.   I just saw it , yesterday . The mono mix is one Web of Sound you'll want to be mixed in. I like the mono "Full Spoon of Seedy Blues" , too .....you're right , it's an album that does'nt deserve the bad rep it has. First two are still my faves , but , I find myself liking "Full Spoon" more with each listen. Too bad no one will ever re-mix "Raw and Alive".......or will they ?

• June 3, 2013 7:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, emails and tweets to Hoffman have gone unanswered.

• June 1, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 29, 2013 10:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to pull out my originals (1 or both mono) and give them a listen so I'll be able to compare and give the reissues a fair shake (and enjoy any improvements if available).

kopper said:

I have these mono mixes of the first two Seeds albums and they sound great:

http://www.garagepunk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18979

• May 29, 2013 1:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jymn , OK , knowing who he is , now , I see where he falls into the "Controversy" of Alec Palao making The Seeds' back catalogue not sound like shit , or merely acceptible , when it could be great , as it is , now. Especially the mono mixes , but the stereo mixes sound fine as wine , too. I'm sure it's difficult to get such warmth onto a CD - only release , but , he did it.

If he contested Hoffman , then , he knows what the Hell he's saying , as he's already been involved with some great CD reissues . Technical know - how is a good thing and all that , but , you , me , Glenn , anyone else who responds , we want better , and Alec rose to the call.

• May 29, 2013 7:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't know why I'm banned. The whole thread, well established, is also gone. Steve Hoffman is a mastering engineering, who was a pioneer for presenting warm, analog versions of classic albums on CD and SACD. Like you both, I want answers not blacklisting. Owner of both vinyl and CD's of the debut, I can tell you they both sound 'analog.' Not only that but with the room-filling reverb, who needs stereo?

• May 29, 2013 12:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I HAVE A TIN EAR , AND MY ENTIRE STEREO SETUP COST ABOUT $70 , NOT COUNTING A CD PLAYER THAT'S ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD , IT'S TRUE , BUT ALEC PALAO DID A GREAT JOB UNEARTHING AND REMASTERING THE MONO SEEDS MIXES. "A WEB OF SOUND" SOUNDS PARTICULARLY GOOD.

BUT , "THE SEEDS" IS A DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT ON PAST REISSUES. That's saying nothing about all the rarities in both packages.

I DON'T GET WHY YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN BLACKLISTED. I ALSO DON'T KNOW WHO STEVE HOFFMAN IS . Did he do the original denim delinquent magazine? Educate me , man,you know we went to different schools together.

• May 28, 2013 8:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I see a scan of the mono master. Where did it come from. Is that proof it wasn't lost? Also, Is the unedited version of Pushin' Too Hard a longer take on the lp (been a long time since I played the whole thing) or would it be the earlier single release that is an alternate mix (if not version) with earlier catalog#? And being banned for any such post sounds quite ridiculous and absurd. Sounds like a cover-up!

?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel