Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Psychedelic Cinema

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 16, 2008 8:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's in your bag in terms of the greats of psychedelic/acid/hippy trippy/60's cinema? Of course, El Topo has to be on the list of anything psychedelic and cinema: ...and Head (proof that drugs even make The Monkees artistic): ...and of course, there's "Mr. Devil" himself, Kenneth Anger: ...and then I Drink Your Blood- by far the greatest hippies eat meat pies filled with rabid blood and become rabid zombies because they gave an old man LSD film ever made: add as you will...
    • March 27, 2013 2:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

May or may not be classifiable as "Psychedelic" , but "All That Jazz", which I JUST SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE IT WAS RELEASED , GOES IN AND OUT OF REALITY so frequently , with Bob Fosse's bizarre , vibrant , showbizzy , death fantasies threatening to overtake the action onscreen like Ken Russell was riding shotgun. If you were ever put off by this film because you thought it might resemble "A Chorus Line" or something , give it a go , anyway. Broadway is only the elevator door to several stations of HELL.     But , if you've ever had to hear Showtunes against your will , you already know that.

• March 4, 2013 7:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Dogora :Space Monster" , as I said elsewhere , is a Japanese Sci Fi/Giant Monster pic , but , VERY psychedelic.

• January 18, 2013 3:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Jesus Freaks in "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf" are pretty cool. "We're freaked out on GOD !". I just reviewed "Dirty Duck" in the newer thread on Movies no one's watching.

• November 20, 2012 8:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

in honor of Thanksgiving , I suggest any and all interested parties seek out "Blood Freak". It's not "Psychedelic" , but , the "Plot" concerns a latter day mad Scientist who turns a disgruntled Vietnam Veteran into a monster by feeding him a drug - infused turkey , and giving him chemically saturated (Just like today !) Marijuana. The monster , of course , has a TURKEY'S HEAD , and goes on a killing spree.

But , if that's not enough , seek out the Ormand Bros.' "Monster and The Stripper" (aka "The Exotic Ones".), in which experimental skunkweed turns SLEEPY LABEEF into a monster , also. 

• September 28, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow cheers for all the great recommendations people, I'll be checking loads of these out. Two really strange trippy films: first, L'urlo (the Howl) 1968 (make sure you look up the Tinto Brass one) featuring the lovely Tina Aumont http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQRdx1PJHY

And second, Hausu, (House) 1977, there used to be a killer clip on youtube where a girl gets eaten by a lampshade and sucked into a kind of animated psychedelic world but I can only assume it got taken down. Also look out for a piano eats fingers scene.. again, was once on youtube but now I can't find it..

• August 29, 2012 4:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

200 Motels from the ever-amazing Frank Zappa. I think it came out in '71. It's a trip, for sure.

• July 30, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

......I was cleaning up ( HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!) , getting ready for a lady caller to visit (NO , you're not supposed to laugh , here.) ,when I found a DVD I forgot about. It was a movie I found in Mexico , something about a Psychedelic Hippy cult that holds these people hostage in an old house.....I'll look the name up. I don't remember much about it.....It would'nt be very 60's if I did.

• July 9, 2012 7:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You'll probably laugh , but , did anyone see "Hugo The Hippo"? IT'S A CARTOON FEATURE , It came out , probably ,in 1976 , but with  vibrant , anachronistic psychedelic visuals  , comparable to "Yellow Submarine". The ads said "It's  PHANTASMAGORICAL !". Have'nt heard anyone mention it since it came out , tho'.

• June 6, 2012 7:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Coffin Joe film Awakening of the Beast is an oddball psychotronic and psychedelic classic, especially the colour scenes down in hell. For me, the weirdest bit is when Coffin Joe's face is painted on a ton of arses, which is kind of funny and unsettling at the same time.

The whole film is on youtube, but this just covers the bit when the film goes into colour from black and white.

• March 25, 2012 4:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tommy , Altered States , Liztomania (Ken Russell) , The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (Jess Franco) , Blue Sunshine , Eraserhead , Harry The Hippo ("Phantasmagorical"sub - Yellow Sub cartoon feature. I'd love to see it again. ) , and , for that matter , even "Nightmare Before Christmas" and Burton's recent "Alice in Wonderland" could all be called "Psychedelic" , or geared that way ,to a degree.

The whole Rollins/Jodorowski/ Franco mindfuck trinity certainly seems drenched in bad trip psych atmospherics.  

• January 5, 2012 4:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree. It does'nt matter if a film was made in the mid to late 60's or not , it can still be very Psychedelic. Even mainstream pictures like "Altered States" were pretty freakin' Psychedelic.

arkive said:

I am aware that El Topo (71) and I Drink Your Blood (72?) are from the 70's, but isn't that nitpicking? They both are examples of psychedelic cinema and are made with the 60's in mind. No one said they have to be from the 60's.
    • December 22, 2011 6:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another good one was "Autopsia De Una Fantasma"(Autopsy of a Ghost) , made in Mexico , I think , in '66 or '67. This was around the time the surviving old guard Horror stars were being put to pasture down in Mexico (Lon Chaney Jr. plays a dormant Mummy that becomes a Werewolf , opposite "Original Pachuco" Mexican Comedian and icon , Tin Tan , in"Casa Del Terror " (House of Terror.), which was later released in the states , minus Tin Tan's footage , as "Face of The Screaming Werewolf. Boris Karloff , dying from Emphysema, shot scenes in California for four movies aimed at The Mexican market - All or most were later dubbed in English.). John Carradine stars as the devil (In a great red devil suit) , while Basil Rathbone (Already demoralized by "Hillbillies in a Haunted House".....which I like.) plays his last , or next to last role , in this South of The Border Cine Psicedelico.. I've seen it twice , and I stilll CAN'T TELL YOU MUCH ABOUT IT , AND , NOT BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER DUBBED IN ENGLISH, but because it's a trip , it's a trip , it's on everybody's lip like a potato chip !

Muy estrango , homes.

• December 15, 2011 5:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...i CAME THIS CLOSE TO MEETING kenneth anger.

He made an unpublicized appearance at a screening of the 20's Silent version of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" , starring John Barrymore. He was just introduced from the stage , and he waved at the audience. I saw him in the lobby , but , he was talking to someone , and I did'nt want to interrupt their conversation , so , I waited.....I became impatient , and said "What if Fatty Arbuckle had used a 2 Litre Coke bottle?" . I kid. I did'nt talk to him.

Here's one I forgot , earlier , "The Suicide Club" (El Club Suicida) was a Mexican Action / Drug Exploitation movie starring Enrique Guzman ( Former Lead Singer with Los Teen Tops , one of the first Major Rock'n'Roll bands in Mexico , and later , an immensely popular (Still !)  Pop singer in his own right .) . Guzman starred in several light - hearted vehicles in the 60's , much like Elvis Presley , and managed to slip some decent Rock 'n'Roll songs on the soundtracks.  But ,"El Club Suicida" was an early non - singing role  (Perhaps his first.) , in which he plays a Secret Agent , hired to investigate a mysterious Hippie cult , whose members have been killing themselves. If you think you detect something of a paralell , this movie was actually made about a year before the Manson murders. Whenever the charismatic cult leader is shown , way - out "Sitar" music apppears on the soundtrack (Played on a detuned Acoustic Guitar . I used to do that ). He conducts all of his dirty business from his fantastic , psychedelic bachelor pad. He gives his followers dope , and they're all too happy to commit suicide. Guzman is pretty good in a serious role. I don't even know how well - remembered this movie is in Mexico. I found it at a flea market , it was part of a "Rock'n'Roll" series released maybe 10 years ago (Though there's no Rock'n'Roll music IN this picture !).

• October 26, 2011 1:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Talkin' bout psychedelic flix,..........try SOCIETY:):)!!!

• October 26, 2011 1:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WOW...another fan of this UNDERRATED flick like me....verry psyched out movie indeed :)

Gunther Toody said:

I may be messed up and it may not be technically "psychedelic" but Ray Dennis Steckler's THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (1964) always makes me feel like I'm tripping when I watch it. The great cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond and Laslo Kovacs has a lot to do with it, but the overall weirdness and super-color contribute to the psychedelic effect.

Another psychedelic fave of mine is William Rotsler's MANTIS IN LACE (also known as LILA) from 1968.

• October 25, 2011 2:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Try take it less seriously.

And don't make nitpicking comments. That alone will make it suck less.

JensLowcut said:

El Topo and I Drink Your Blood are from the 70s. Try take it seriously. The old garagepunk board sucked at fringe cinema, the new one is far worse.
    • October 25, 2011 2:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I may be messed up and it may not be technically "psychedelic" but Ray Dennis Steckler's THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (1964) always makes me feel like I'm tripping when I watch it. The great cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond and Laslo Kovacs has a lot to do with it, but the overall weirdness and super-color contribute to the psychedelic effect.

Another psychedelic fave of mine is William Rotsler's MANTIS IN LACE (also known as LILA) from 1968.

• October 24, 2011 5:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jess Franco's 'Venus in Furs'--one of the greatest. I saw this tripping my face off on USB laboratory standard grade LSD--the kind that really DOES make you hallucinate!http://youtu.be/aH68fXg9rYM

Jess Franco made a lot of crappy movies but when he made a good one it was REALLY good. Great jazz, hot chicks, that whole euro-decadent feel...

• September 23, 2011 1:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 20, 2011 12:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

el topo is definitely on the top of my list!

btw have you guys seen ''enter the void'', it s 40 years older but i consider it a fcking masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNpSKsBKw8

• March 22, 2011 9:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I realize this is an old discussion, but a few films also worth noting:

Wild in The Streets ( a great double feature w/ Riot on Sunset Strip!)

Village of The Giants ( performance by The Beau Brummels, & I believe Toni Basil is one of the dancers)

And some British films of the era:

If... and Oh Lucky Man! (with Malcolm McDowell)

That'll Be The Day (with Ringo Starr and David Essex)

Stardust (sequel to That'll Be The Day - I've been looking for this for ages! These were also early 70's but had that 60's rock'n'roll feel)

Privilege

Swingin' Time

I know there are many more, but just can't think of 'em offhand.

• April 20, 2008 10:36 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Psych-Out
      Riot on Sunset Strip
      Performance

Not music related, but still psychedelic:
      Point Blank
      Masque of the Red Death (Cinematography by Nicolas Roeg), directed by Roger Corman
      Fantastic Voyage (check out those trippy red corpuscles)
    • March 31, 2008 4:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Trip (Roger Corman) Chappaqua (Conrad Rooks) Angel Angel Down We Go (Robert Thom) Skidoo (Otto Preminger)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel