Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bands you DIDN'T see

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 25, 2012 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Last week I had every intention of going to see the fabulous Jim Jones Revue again and had got it into my head that they were playing on the 11th. I called the club on the day to make sure there were tickets still available only to find that they played two days earlier! This got me thinking about bands that I'd missed over the years that were playing in my town but for one reason or another never got to see. The most well known I can think of was missing Nirvana when they toured with Mudhoney around the time of 'Bleach'. Every intention of going but I think it was raining or something so just didn't bother!

So...who didn't you see..and why?

• January 7, 2013 1:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's all right....We're here for you.  Sorry , I just felt like saying that.....

I don't know if I ever missed any shows because I had school the next day. The only shows I could get into , in my teens , were usually on weekends and not very late ,anyway.

The Ramones were very good about doing all ages  shows when the concept of an all ages show or venue virtually did'nt exist.

Juillian Bongor said:

missed the ramones in london. had school next day so parents didnt let me go

• January 7, 2013 11:37 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

missed the ramones in london. had school next day so parents didnt let me go

• January 5, 2013 3:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I CAN'T SPEAK FOR THEM , BUT , THERE IS MONEY IN PLAYING THE BIG FESTIVALS IN PLACES LIKE AUSTRALIA , BUT , I DON'T FANCY THE SONICS WILL EVER PLAY LOLLAPALOOZA OR PITCHFORK FESTIVAL .

melissa scott said:

Geez, the Sonics managed to play bloody Adelaide last year. What's their excuse for skippin' Chicago. :(

• January 5, 2013 2:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Geez, the Sonics managed to play bloody Adelaide last year. What's their excuse for skippin' Chicago. :(

• January 5, 2013 2:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll never see The Sonics. I mean , it's not like I live in a big city with lots of music venues , just Chicago.   Of course , they could fill one of our larger clubs , no problem , and while I don't know what their price , plus expenses , is , I don't think anybody wants to make it . I hope to Hell I'm wrong.

• December 31, 2012 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to correct myself:
      I DID saw Nirvana but in ´89 and believe it or not, actually I guess I may have spend time with them for being one of the hosts at  Ecstasy, a place in Berlin I worked and lived about `88-`89 (I had my own room inside the Music-Apartment where the Bands playing there, were hosted). How could I forget that?? Ok, in my defense I can say: hundreds, i mean piles of very well known bands came to play there (almost every day) and I guess I didn´t know Nirvana by the time, yet! And my memory is on strike sometime :/

But I DO have a list of bands i never saw for sure, most for being born too late or for living too far away: I never saw Johnny Cash, Elvis, The Doors, Jimmy Hendrix, Monks or Roky Erickson :(( or Beatles, or some other old bands... 

AAaarRrhhhHHgGGggg!!
      I never had the Chance to see Birthday Party, X, Minimal Man or Circus Mort :(
      Or Contortion, and so I could never had a fight with James Chance!! 

Also Joy Division :(( or Sex Pistols with Sid Vicious (but i saw a cool concert in the 90s without him), or New York Dolls, and sure some others I can´t recall at moment but on the other hand I´ve seen Thousands of fantastic concerts by now, to say the least.

By some I did choose not to see because i felt that it was simply too late in time or the concert too big, like for Rolling Stones (I just heard them from outside of a stadium but at the end i decided not to go inside) or Bowie, for example.

maybe the only band i really missed to see even having the possibility a few times, are still The Sonics! :(
      But I´m happy they are still rocking around! Hope to see them soon!

Tersicore said:

I regret not having seen the whole Nirvana-concert dec.91 in Chicago. I catch just the end!

Back to ´84, Virgin Prunes were suppose to play in Catania/Italy (of course at that time everything was organized in a different way), so i got myself 2 piles of tickets to sell.
      After a couple of weeks and after selling about 150 tickets, the band communicated they won´t come anymore!! (i don´t recall the reason) and so, a wile after that, i had lot of fun to give all the money back and recollect the tickets! :/
      Newer saw them again!

• December 31, 2012 10:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never ever got the chance to see the Seeds an that is soooooo depressin', i gotta cry! a-boohoohoo!

As the dude would say 'the Seeds abide, maaaan!'

• December 31, 2012 3:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did'nt see The Cramps for nine years , because I was living in Dallas , and their previous gig in Dallas ended in disaster. But , I finally got caught up. Missed Muddy Waters (w/Clarence Gatemouth Brown and Bugs Henderson , ex- Mouse and The Traps.),because my Brother and I were underage , and we were going to see the show at an all -ages venue with an ex- teacher friend of ours. The show got moved to a bar , and we could'nt get in , even with an adult. ( I did see Muddy once in Chicago , and planned to chalk up several more shows before he died , but , no such luck.)

More recently , missed gigs that should'nt have even happened , like Simply Saucer , Death , Teenage Jesus and The Jerks , and Djin Aquarian from Ya Ho Wa .....In a lot of cases , the weather kept me back , or I did'nt feel like going to BFE and wondering how long the CTA would take to get me home......I did see Ya Ho Wa  , later, it was OFF THE HOOK !!!

• December 11, 2012 12:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Still regret missing out on a Dex Romweber and Tav Falco double header a couple months ago in Atlanta.

• November 26, 2012 10:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, so many... Oblivians, Billy Childish, Davy Allen, etc etc etc. Largely because I couldn't "get anyone to go with me"... and too lazy to go by myself.

Joe Strummer came to Philly around Thanksgiving and I was too "busy" to go. Regret it to this day. 

• November 26, 2012 7:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The JSBX ...twice in one year! Just a one day delay in traveling and it's: "No show for you sir!"

Here for the stir

• November 24, 2012 10:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MIKER , as long as someone is talking Yankee Dollars at the conversion rate of that very day , Chuck Berry WILL make it back to The UK. Will he be positively wretched ? Most likely.

• November 24, 2012 10:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bo Diddley (died). Chuck Berry (never came to uk in the end). Michael Jackson (had ticket and he died) am I cursed?
    • November 22, 2012 6:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW. I THINK THEY JUST CALL 'EM LEE JEANS , NOW. YOU COULD FIT TWO PEOPLE MY SIZE IN A PAIR OF LEVI 505s , NOWADAYS , AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE i'M 20 LBS. SHORT OF MY IDEAL WEIGHT , EITHER.

John Battles said:

James....yeah , you told me about that. Sounds like "Duelin' Berrys". One guy who sounds like Chuck Berry and another who does'nt , but was CHRISTENED Charles Berry.

To hear Ronnie Isley , live , on the "Makeout music " tip , who better than Bacharach for accompaniment?

OHHHHHH.....You would have had to have been there , but , Doug , God rest his funky soul , had on one of those beat to shit straw cowboy hats , and one of those 80's New Wave (It was still The 80's , barely , but Doug looked better when he dressed like it was still The 60's.) turqoise faux bowling shirt with no sleeves , an 80'S New Wave piano keyboard skinny tie, with a pair on Lee Riders that looked like they were about 20 years old . Don't get me wrong , I know the clothes don't play , but even DOUG looked awkward , as if someone broke into his pad , stole his groovy threads , and left him to fend for himself at the thriftstore . 

Disclaimer: With Levis taking on that apparent "Hip Hop" influence , now , Lee Riders DO fit on me , much better , personally , now. BUT , IF YOU REMEMBER WHAT THOSE THINGS LOOKED LIKE IN tHE 70'S.........

• November 22, 2012 10:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Red Aunts last show... I was underage.. it was really sad..

-Ills

• November 22, 2012 1:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow , sorry to hear that. That was probably right after I saw them in Dallas.
        Not to gloat , of course. 
      SMF said:

I was set to see The Clash in Tucson @ '82, but I blew out my knee just before the show and there was no chance of seeing anyone, let alone the best band on the planet.

• November 21, 2012 6:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I was set to see The Clash in Tucson @ '82, but I blew out my knee just before the show and there was no chance of seeing anyone, let alone the best band on the planet.

• November 19, 2012 2:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DOUG MIGHT HAVE BEEN REFERRING TO A MIKE LOVE , NOT FROM THE BEACH BOYS ,BUT , THE CHICAGO BULLS ....I FORGET , EVEN I HAVE TOO MUCH OF A LIFE TO REMEMBER THAT.

John Battles said:

AND BOB LOVE , Y'ALL ! TOO MUCH ! (But ,Doug , that was Basketball) AIN'T NO WAY WE GONNA STOP THIS SOULFUL TRAIN ,NOW! (Doug , please don't hit those trash cans ...)

LAAAAAAAAAAWD , WE'RE IN CHICAGO , BABY ,  AIN'T GOT NO DAMN TRASH CANS !

John Battles said:

(Wild and crazy guy voice)   That is where I got one on you , my friend !!

I THINK I saw The Ramones 7 times , yeah , that's right . And I got started late ! The first time was in 1984. Saw 'em once , in '88 ,  with Iggy Pop(Headlining) and The Dickies , but , otherwise they almost always had terrible , or just mediocre , opening acts . Even ROCKABILLY GODS , Social Distortion , were'nt telling me anything I did'nt already know.

I SAW THE STONES , ONCE , IN '81. They were sloppy as ever (Retraction. I don't think they REALLY started getting sloppy til the mid 70's) , but, it was fun. Everyone was too stoned to rock out.

The Isleys , I saw once , and it was heavy on the T-Neck sides , light on the babymaking music. But , I told you that.....I hope you still get to see them , now that the Big Daddy Dizzy Dee Smalls , OR WHATEVER , HYPE , Is THROUGH.

I first saw Doug Sahm at Antone's NYE 1988 - 89 . He had a pickup band , and was dressed atrociously . No disrespect , but , I was , like , "Come on , Doug !" . Of course , it was a fine show , but , I had to move from Texas to Chicago to see The Sir Douglas Quintet. Ironic , is'nt it? They played Dallas in '84 , but ,I could'nt get a ride , and it would have been about $40 IN A CAB. i WAS AT THE CUBBY BEAR TEXAS TORNADOS GIG . MAN ! THE CUBS MUST HAVE TAKEN A BEATING , THAT NIGHT (cubby bear is across from Wrigley Field.), because people , meaning WHITE people , were picking fights and jumping in each other's shit , all night , pushing and shoving , while all the Mexicans were totally cool. Doug Sahm LOVED him some Cubs , tho' . Mid song , he reels off the 70 - 71 "Dream Team" (Whom I saw twice. Last Cubs games  I ever attended.)- RON SANTO ! LAAAAAAAWD , ERNIE BANKS !! DON KISSINGER , Y'ALL !!! FERGIE JENKINS , YEAH , MY MAN ,  TOO MUCH ,  IN THE GROOVE ! DIG IT !  Doug scarcely said hello when we first met , because I was the only person in the room not talking  baseball. I saw him 6 times , total. His last Chicago gig , also at Cubby Bear , basically a Sir Douglas Quintet show , minus a sorely - needed Mike Buck on Drums , drew about 40 people. For shame.

I did'nt know if I wanted to drop 30 bucks to see what an 80 - something Bill Monroe was bringing to the plate. Maybe that was my big mistake.

As for The Gories , I did see them in 1990 , opening for The Gibson Bros. I only really knew them by name , but , Jeffrey Evans really played them up to me.

I thought they were great.  I was right up in fron , while the rest of the audience stayed in the very back , about the length of a bowling lane. Of course , most of those people did'nt show when The Gories came back , 20 years later , but they probably bragged about how they saw them , back when. The Gories came back , once in '90 or '91 , to open for Alex Chilton. Sorry , never got it with him. I know I'm supposed to bow down in worship.....I saw The Box Tops once , and they killed , but , THAT was a money gig , so Alex showed up sober , and ready to rock.

I should've gone if only to see The Gories. I figured they'd return. Did'nt know it'sd take two decades , but , it was business as usual.

• November 19, 2012 2:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

AND BOB LOVE , Y'ALL ! TOO MUCH ! (But ,Doug , that was Basketball) AIN'T NO WAY WE GONNA STOP THIS SOULFUL TRAIN ,NOW! (Doug , please don't hit those trash cans ...)

LAAAAAAAAAAWD , WE'RE IN CHICAGO , BABY ,  AIN'T GOT NO DAMN TRASH CANS !

John Battles said:

I THINK I saw The Ramones 7 times , yeah , that's right . And I got started late ! The first time was in 1984. Saw 'em once , in '88 ,  with Iggy Pop(Headlining) and The Dickies , but , otherwise they almost always had terrible , or just mediocre , opening acts . Even ROCKABILLY GODS , Social Distortion , were'nt telling me anything I did'nt already know.

I SAW THE STONES , ONCE , IN '81. They were sloppy as ever (Retraction. I don't think they REALLY started getting sloppy til the mid 70's) , but, it was fun. Everyone was too stoned to rock out.

The Isleys , I saw once , and it was heavy on the T-Neck sides , light on the babymaking music. But , I told you that.....I hope you still get to see them , now that the Big Daddy Dizzy Dee Smalls , OR WHATEVER , HYPE , Is THROUGH.

I first saw Doug Sahm at Antone's NYE 1988 - 89 . He had a pickup band , and was dressed atrociously . No disrespect , but , I was , like , "Come on , Doug !" . Of course , it was a fine show , but , I had to move from Texas to Chicago to see The Sir Douglas Quintet. Ironic , is'nt it? They played Dallas in '84 , but ,I could'nt get a ride , and it would have been about $40 IN A CAB. i WAS AT THE CUBBY BEAR TEXAS TORNADOS GIG . MAN ! THE CUBS MUST HAVE TAKEN A BEATING , THAT NIGHT (cubby bear is across from Wrigley Field.), because people , meaning WHITE people , were picking fights and jumping in each other's shit , all night , pushing and shoving , while all the Mexicans were totally cool. Doug Sahm LOVED him some Cubs , tho' . Mid song , he reels off the 70 - 71 "Dream Team" (Whom I saw twice. Last Cubs games  I ever attended.)- RON SANTO ! LAAAAAAAWD , ERNIE BANKS !! DON KISSINGER , Y'ALL !!! FERGIE JENKINS , YEAH , MY MAN ,  TOO MUCH ,  IN THE GROOVE ! DIG IT !  Doug scarcely said hello when we first met , because I was the only person in the room not talking  baseball. I saw him 6 times , total. His last Chicago gig , also at Cubby Bear , basically a Sir Douglas Quintet show , minus a sorely - needed Mike Buck on Drums , drew about 40 people. For shame.

I did'nt know if I wanted to drop 30 bucks to see what an 80 - something Bill Monroe was bringing to the plate. Maybe that was my big mistake.

As for The Gories , I did see them in 1990 , opening for The Gibson Bros. I only really knew them by name , but , Jeffrey Evans really played them up to me.

I thought they were great.  I was right up in fron , while the rest of the audience stayed in the very back , about the length of a bowling lane. Of course , most of those people did'nt show when The Gories came back , 20 years later , but they probably bragged about how they saw them , back when. The Gories came back , once in '90 or '91 , to open for Alex Chilton. Sorry , never got it with him. I know I'm supposed to bow down in worship.....I saw The Box Tops once , and they killed , but , THAT was a money gig , so Alex showed up sober , and ready to rock.

I should've gone if only to see The Gories. I figured they'd return. Did'nt know it'sd take two decades , but , it was business as usual.

• November 18, 2012 6:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James....yeah , you told me about that. Sounds like "Duelin' Berrys". One guy who sounds like Chuck Berry and another who does'nt , but was CHRISTENED Charles Berry.

To hear Ronnie Isley , live , on the "Makeout music " tip , who better than Bacharach for accompaniment?

OHHHHHH.....You would have had to have been there , but , Doug , God rest his funky soul , had on one of those beat to shit straw cowboy hats , and one of those 80's New Wave (It was still The 80's , barely , but Doug looked better when he dressed like it was still The 60's.) turqoise faux bowling shirt with no sleeves , an 80'S New Wave piano keyboard skinny tie, with a pair on Lee Riders that looked like they were about 20 years old . Don't get me wrong , I know the clothes don't play , but even DOUG looked awkward , as if someone broke into his pad , stole his groovy threads , and left him to fend for himself at the thriftstore . 

Disclaimer: With Levis taking on that apparent "Hip Hop" influence , now , Lee Riders DO fit on me , much better , personally , now. BUT , IF YOU REMEMBER WHAT THOSE THINGS LOOKED LIKE IN tHE 70'S.........

• November 17, 2012 6:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never saw the Stones or the Isleys. But, I did witness Keith Richards sit in with Chuck Berry at the Chicago Blues Festival in 1986. And at some point in maybe '03 or '04, I was at a taping of the TV show Soundstage that featured Burt Bacharach and Ronnie Isley (together).

John - exactly WHAT was Doug Sahm wearing on stage that night?

• November 17, 2012 4:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 16, 2012 12:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Artists who, for whatever reason, I never got around to seeing:

the Ramones

the Rolling Stones

the Isley Brothers

Doug Sahm

Bill Monroe

SPECIAL MENTION: Gories (a friend of mine who worked at a record store recommended that I see their show at Chicago's late lamented Lounge Ax, back in 1990...while I kept their name in mind and eventually bought the record, I didn't see them live...I had no idea that they wouldn't play Chicago again for another 20 years, although Dan and Mick returned several times in different bands...yes, I did see the reunion shows)

• November 13, 2012 8:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...At least The Buzzcocks are still at it , and doing great shows.
      Have'nt seen 'em since Tony Barber (Also of The Creation , SHAM 69 , 999 , and , though he denies it , sources say , The Pork Dukes.) left the band .

The Cramps I saw.....ummmmm.....Nine times , BUT , I was living in Dallas (OK , and ARLINGTON , A FATE WORSE THAN THE BIG "D" , BEFORE THAT.) for the majority of The 80's , and a big fight broke OUT AT THEIR GIG AT CARDI'S IN DALLAS IN EITHER LATE 1980 , OR EARLY '81 (IT WAS WITH JULIEN GRIENSNATCH , THEIR GUITARIST BETWEEN BRYAN AND KID. ). They were'nt in a hurry to come back , and , by the time I did see them , here , in Chicago , in 1990 , I'd been jonesin' for nine years to see them. AT LEAST , I GOT TO SEE THEM SEVERAL TIMES AFTER THAT , BUT , I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN THEM WITH BRYAN AND/OR KID.

JOHNNY CASH IS'NT A MEGA - STAR. HE'S A GOD. I was very fortunate , I saw him twice before his big comeback. The second time , he exited thru the building with the fans , thru the lobby , about 10 minutes after the show. I saw him walk into a CAB , NOT A LIMO . THAT WAS ALMOST COOLER THAN THE SHOW ITSELF

My Dad saw Sinatra in the 40's at The Chicago Theatre. My parents saw Sinatra with Buddy Rich in the early 80's. No , Frank did'nt punch Buddy out.
       melissa scott said:

Touchy subject -- if you've ever missed a band and regretted it... you later live by the rule, get your ass out the door and go hear more live music.

You don't know if that show playing on your weekend will some day be THAT SHOW of THAT BAND. So, go and hear more live shows, m'kay?

Regret Missing: Pistols. Old, new, whatever. Went to a Professionals show to console myself, but that ain't the same thang. PIL live didn't do the trick either.

Anyone who knows me knows I'll go pretty damned far for a show. After 2 attempts, I finally made it to hear Roky Erickson a few weeks ago. But, I made it. And yeah, I've been known to drive several states over to hear a band.

Regret Missing: More Cramps shows -- I just kept missing those and only heard 'em once, which is sad.

Regret Missing: Johnny Cash -- ok, not garage and a mega-star, but never got to hear him sing and that is a downright shame. *sigh*

Joy Division -- to hear what the fuss was about. Ditto Nirvana, though I had several chances, missed that completely. I was going through a blues phase and wouldn't go. Wished I'd seen XRay Specs, The Adverts, and of course, the Buzzcocks (yeah, never got to hear them play :(  Never heard Willie DeVille play live either!

I'll include Frank Sinatra, yeah, had several chances to hear him sing and wished I did, even when he was past his prime, it would have been interesting.

Most of all, I wish I could have heard The New York Dolls when they started. I was way too young; what a bummer. I still love them and never get tired of their music. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel