Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Guitarist Matthew Odietus of THE CANDY SNATCHERS

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 30, 2008 5:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Guitarist Matthew Odietus of the legendary punk band THE CANDY SNATCHERS died on June 28 in his hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia. An official cause of death has not yet been released. Taking their name from an obscure, bizarre, and trashy 70's horror flick late one night after drinking heavily, THE CANDY SNATCHERS formed in 1992. According to a November 2006 write-up on ToeStubber.com, "the band's tried-and-true array of destructive gimmicks kept the bookers guessing. Depending on mood, singer Larry May or axer Matt Odietus would sometimes cut their own scalp, '70s pro-wrestler style — up by the hairline or wherever the blood would flow most effusively. Once, at CBGB, Matt bled out so much he almost fainted, and eventually had to be carted off to the ER with a t-shirt turban wrapped around his noggin. Larry would smash glass bottles at random. Willy used lighter fluid to set his bass on fire, with the aid of excited audience members who’d often get outta hand with the flammables and torch Willy himself. Drums were routinely collided with and obliterated." In November 2006, Matt spent 17 days in jail. When asked how long he had been out a short time after he was released, he said, "four scores and seven eight balls ago they let me out," and "went on to tell of the good times he had, friends he had made, the free food, and needed rest he got," according to the band's MySpace page. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=99980
    • August 19, 2008 5:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh the nineties! My old band went on a short tour with them...total debauchery dudes! I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Matt RIP.
    • November 6, 2013 6:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm extremely late in replying to this , but , I did'nt know about it , I did'nt see anything about it , previously.  I knew Matt , in passing. A very funny guy , he was always nice to me , even though he did hit me in the head with his guitar . It was an accident. The Candy Snatchers were playing a show with The 5-6-7-8's. Some kid knocked over their mike stand. The reason this was an issue was , I found out later , the club  had told them if they damaged their mikes or mike stands , they'd pay for them. But , the little fucker tried to hide behind me . Matt swung his guitar at him , missed , and grazed my forehead. Fortunately , I was more shocked than actually badly hurt. I was more angry with the kid than with Matt , and I tried to chase him , but , he got away. And , I was more angry with HIM because he just let me "Take a bullet" for him , so to speak.   After their set , Matt did come over and apologize to me , saying he did'nt see that I was standing right in front of the little shit , and told me why he swung his guitar like that , missing him , getting me , by mistake.  He said he was angry because he did'nt want to pay for a damaged mike or stand . "I LOVE YA , JOHN !" , he said , "YOU OLD BLACK HOMOSEXUAL !".          Please bear in mind , that just came out of nowhere. By that time , though , The Candy Snatchers were leting their "Alice Cooper Theatrics on a GG Allin Budget" take precedence over their music. I saw them , earlier , third on the bill to The Meteors and local "Psychobilly" band , Wreckin' Ball , who were great when they started , but , sucked by this time , and had a much bigger following in Chicago than even The Meteors to show for it. There were only about 12 people in the room when they went on , so , they focused on putting on a great , tight , Punk Rock show , instead , keeping those 12 people in the room .  No setting the bass on fire , no throwing up , no blood. Just Rock'n'Roll .  I know I spoke to Matt , who I met at the show , once or twice on the phone before the other gig , a year or so later.       Sorry to hear about you , Matt    : (

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel