Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: "Love Story - A Film About Arthur Lee and Love"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 3, 2008 10:44 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Saw the documentary on Arthur Lee and Love titled "Love Story" made by Chris Hall. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't help feeling it could have been better. On the plus side it features Lee and Bryan MacLean shortly before their deaths, but on the minus side there's very little in the way of old videos or TV appearances. I thought a lot more of that would have enhanced the film greatly.
      Nevertheless, the majority of the storytelling comes from guitarist Johnny Echols who comes across as very wise and lucid. Bryan MacLean had a very young and enthusiastic approach in his storytelling that's almost eccentric, as engaging as it is.
      Some of the best stories come from Elektra founder Jac Holzman, telling the tale of Lee taking off with the band's advance money and returning an hour later with a brand new car, and giving the change to the rest of the band to split between themselves. Not funny, but very telling.
      The movie is very heavy on "Forever Changes" and the making of the album, understandably so, and even goes a little bit into the "Four Sail" band, but doesn't delve much into any other post-FC records under the name Love or the Arthur Lee solo efforts (like "Vindicator").
      Even if you're not a Love fan you'll find this movie interesting, and I can see this playing on IFC by the end of the year. The film screened at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, introduced by Domenic Priore, and sadly only thirty-fifty people were in attendance.
    • February 12, 2013 7:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Serious as a bowl of cocoa puffs.....Look at this picture , look at me , look at John. I look like Dracula! We both look like we're serious about Dracula.". Arthur Lee (To Gary Beeson).

"It was IMPLIED that we lived on Bela Lugosi's estate , but , we never did" Arthur (To Me).

I PRESENTED JOHNNY WITH A COPY OF LOVE'S FIRST LP , THREE OR FOUR YEARS AGO, AND ASKED HIM TO SIGN IT. ARTHUR HAD ALREADY SIGNED IT FOR ME IN THE 90'S.....

JOHNNY : WOW ! YOU KNOW , IF YOU CAN GET AT LEAST TWO MORE ORIGINAL MEMBERS TO SIGN THIS , YOU COULD GET $500 FOR IT ON E-BAY.

ME: UM....I DON'T THINK THAT'S QUITE POSSIBLE.

• January 13, 2013 1:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , sad but true , America was'nt ready for a racialy mixed Rock group. After Arthur's friend , and two - time collaborator , Jimi Hendrix , broke the color bar(With a White rhythm section , no less.) , things started to open up , and you had bands like Sly and The Family Stone reaching a multiracial audience.....But , Arthur refused to tour. They played New York ONCE , I read. Of course , he toured with Hendrix in Europe , in 1970 , but , that was a totally different version of Love (Albeit underrated.).

dave said:

Just checked out some clips, fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Like James Brown, he got a raw deal to set an example.

Love should be as famous as the Beatles.

• January 12, 2013 6:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just checked out some clips, fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Like James Brown, he got a raw deal to set an example.

Love should be as famous as the Beatles.

• January 1, 2013 9:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW , i liked the film , but so little original Love footage exists , anyway - "My Little Red Book" on American Bandstand and the "Your Mind and We Belong Together" promo film.

Can't think of much else.

John Battles said:

Anything's possible , but , I don't think Arthur was ever really homeless....I forget , what year was it , that Arthur went to jail? I saw him in Chicago in '93 or '94 , there were maybe 75 people there. But , of course , he played to packed houses , upwards of 500+ when he got out of jail. I'm sure there were times he was virtually destitute  , but , he was playing a lot in the 90's , AND MORESO WHEN HE GOT OUT OF JAIL. The "Free Arthur Lee" campaign was tremendous , but where was the same show of support for Roky Erickson when he was in jail , ca.1990? Roky's never even been known to own a gun.  

Joenzy said:

well, tho your review is mixed - I'll still check it out. De Capo is one of my fave records.
      i once really thought i saw Arthur Lee in a Borders bookstore on 3rd st. in Santa Monica.

he looked homeless and was drinking a cup of coffee. This was in '99 maybe.
      when you live in L.A. you catch sightings like that. and then i heard he was homeless...?

i just saw "Billy Childish is Dead."

what can i say. loved it.
    • January 1, 2013 9:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anything's possible , but , I don't think Arthur was ever really homeless....I forget , what year was it , that Arthur went to jail? I saw him in Chicago in '93 or '94 , there were maybe 75 people there. But , of course , he played to packed houses , upwards of 500+ when he got out of jail. I'm sure there were times he was virtually destitute  , but , he was playing a lot in the 90's , AND MORESO WHEN HE GOT OUT OF JAIL. The "Free Arthur Lee" campaign was tremendous , but where was the same show of support for Roky Erickson when he was in jail , ca.1990? Roky's never even been known to own a gun.  

Joenzy said:

well, tho your review is mixed - I'll still check it out. De Capo is one of my fave records.
      i once really thought i saw Arthur Lee in a Borders bookstore on 3rd st. in Santa Monica.

when you live in L.A. you catch sightings like that. and then i heard he was homeless...?

• January 1, 2009 11:14 PM CST
    • Untitled

I saw Arthur Lee get kicked out of the Roxy Theatre (circa 19777) and he was packing heat!

I got the DVD on eBay and it's a great movie to watch. I highly recommend it. And yes, there are extras (good ones).
    • January 1, 2009 8:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel