Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: *sigh* Anyone got any bright ideas on getting people to go to my

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 23, 2008 3:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How lame can Chicago be? I've been DJing somewhat regularly for close to a year, playing Garage and Garage-Punk nights in one extremely "hip" neighborhood and in one neighborhood known for the incredible numbers of people in search of nightlife. Strangely, I haven't made any friggin' progress in repeat audience members. The only people who compliment me on what I play (besides the two or three friends who show up in support) are usually the wait/kitchen staff, who never get to sit out and listen to the music for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I've tried flyering, MySpace, CraigsList, and anything I can with my limited budget. Anyone got any bright ideas on getting people to go to my garage DJ nights in a digital age?
    • July 18, 2012 7:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SarahJayne  ,   I'd say "Sad , but true " , but you're so on the money , every which way. I'm just now seeing that this was originally posted 4 years ago. Nothing has changed , but , you promised to tell the truth , and , you did. I still found some of it funny . We have to laugh at the things that deeply disturb us , sometimes.

SarahJayne said:

I'm just gonna come out and say it..........

A lot of people throughout the country have the same gripe. So unless you live in a glamor mecca where trendies flock for the fashion show factor AND there's plenty of hotties seriously into it (that the trendies wish they were or were fucking), don't expect much!

It's awful, it's shallow, it's rude, and it's TRUE.

What lowers the numbers at the garage/mod/60s nights right now is:

A) It currently isn't getting much mainstream media attention.
      B) Most of the die hard fans are unpretentious, and have better things to do than viciously gossip and spend 4 hours on their outfit.
      C) ^^^ Consequently, most 60s nights are just laid back, bullshit free fun.

From an advertising standpoint, that's BORING. People are more seduced by scandal. Notoriety = rising numbers! So your safest bet is to cater to the lowest common denominator.

THINGS THAT SADLY HELP CLUB NIGHTS:

* The dj's are good looking. Bonus points for chicks.
      * The dj's excell at name dropping, and pay 'rock stars' to guest dj with 'em.
      * The bar tenders are also good looking. Bonus points for tattoos, big hair, and 'slutty' outfits.
      * There's a core group of intimidating, cliquish patrons dressed to the nines. Bonus points for band members.
      * Fashionable, trendy, phony, college kids flock. Bonus points for slumming trust funders.
      * IT'S A PLACE TO SCORE DRUGS. Bonus points if that drug is COKE. Even more bonus points if drugs are done out in the open.
      * Most of the patrons are single or non-committed. People coming to score some ass is a great thing! Bonus points for bathroom sex.
      * Fights have been known to break out. Bonus points for catfights, and couples breaking up.

So find as many fucked up (and wanna-be fucked up - they're more dramatic!) people as you can, and throw 'em in the same room.

Of course, finding bar owners who party harder than their patrons and are too fucked up to think of legal liability helps : P. That's where older single men who's bars = penis extensions come in. No one loves young drunk chicks quite like they do.

Once you've established an atmosphere of faux decadence, you're golden. Everyone in town will have a love/hate relationship with your night for one reason or another. It'll become the butt of many jokes, but so what?!?!?! You now have an audience. One that keeps talking aka giving you free publicity!

Then more and more people will flock to gawk, fuck, score drugs, and get their picture taken. Eventually the media will take note, only further expanding your customer base.

One day something really bad'll happen and it'll all go down in flames, but lets not worry about that : P.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME CLICK HERE:
      http://www.lastnightsparty.com

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
    • July 18, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wish I could suggest something you have'nt already mentioned , but , I started spinning Garage Rock  in Chicago about 18 years ago . My first Dj gig was at the old Lower Links club , about - 20 odd years ago , and James Porter was a couple of years ahead of me at the same place. This kind of music has never packed 'em in , in Chicago. If the club did something crazy , like had drink specials on nights that are slow , that might help. It seemed like interest peaked in the late 90's , but , even then , it was'nt that great. You had to depend on your friends. I'm not even on Facebook , but , I noticed you did'nt mention them. It seems like everyone is assumed to be , now. A record store owner told me I missed his great in - store with a semi - legendary local band  . I said , I was at your store , last weekend , where were your flyers ? He said "Oh , it was only on Facebook.". In any case ,  You've noticed ,  I'm sure , that not as many clubs are advertising , or even LISTING (For free) IN THE READER (Our News and "Culture" mag.) , BECAUSE IT'S ASSUMED THAT NO ONE READS THE PRINTED PAGE , ANYMORE , PARTICULARLY NOT TO FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND TOWN......But , you must be doing something right if you've been able to hold down a DJ gig in Chicago for a year , and it's not "Dance" music , "80's Night", or Soul music (Not putting Soul music down , but , as Time Out Chicago said , "YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT IN A DIVE BAR WHEN....IT'S SOUL NIGHT"....). BUT  , IF I GET ANY BIG , BRIGHT IDEAS , SOMETHING THAT MIGHT HELP YOUR SITUATION , I'LL LET YOU KNOW.......

• July 18, 2012 7:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is Chicago. There IS'NT another Garage night if you've already got one.

Sectmaniac said:

Flyer other "garage" nights or shows around town.
    • February 9, 2012 11:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It helps if a crowd having a birthday party is there.

# 1 thing you must do is play to the common people. Do not bother trying to impress other Js with how obscure you can be. A DJ or 2 does not pay you. The crowd pays you.I usually do a solid hour of well-known hits in whatever genre it is that night, around midnight.

You may have no control over this but the place must be a "destination."

• February 9, 2012 11:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ha, this happened to me... flyered so much. had sick flyers too, photoshop/illustrator, design guy here. But its different for my city (philadelphia), living here for almost 6 years now, very few people care about garage/punk or for that matter the music the dj plays. all about who promotes it and whos there and whether or not they are going to get their picture taken and show up on some dumb Facebook page... so lame... 

• May 18, 2010 11:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, Jonathan is a good 'un! I didn't hear about the window incident. xpongx said:
      Sarah speaks the truth. I was djing in New York with Jonathan Toubin in Sept at the Motor City and a kid got thrown through the front window during my set. Upong hearing this when i got back home to Portland a club booked me for a monthly night. "Anyone that gets someone thrown through a window while djing must be good, how's tuesday sound?"

I don't think our radio show has much cross pollination with the people that come see us live though. Most of our radio followers are not local, but our club night is a lot of hot college girls.

Hot Chilean bartender helps, as does both djs being in bands, although i dress "Portland casual" and the other guy dresses "Portland skinhead" we still get some of the kids that wear period clothes.
    • May 18, 2010 11:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Try getting the coolest radio station to announce it.
      Start an email list and keep it out for your new fans. Do the mass emailing about 4 days before the show.
      Team up with a jock with a following.
      Flyering and cards don't seem to work (you might tape up a hard copy of your jpeg announcement in the window of the location though).
      Show up at other jocks' gigs.
      Don't book a holiday weekend. Zero turnout will reflect badly on you.
    • December 17, 2009 6:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

^^^ Hahaha, that rules!
    • October 21, 2009 6:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sarah speaks the truth. I was djing in New York with Jonathan Toubin in Sept at the Motor City and a kid got thrown through the front window during my set. Upong hearing this when i got back home to Portland a club booked me for a monthly night. "Anyone that gets someone thrown through a window while djing must be good, how's tuesday sound?"

I don't think our radio show has much cross pollination with the people that come see us live though. Most of our radio followers are not local, but our club night is a lot of hot college girls.

Hot Chilean bartender helps, as does both djs being in bands, although i dress "Portland casual" and the other guy dresses "Portland skinhead" we still get some of the kids that wear period clothes.
    • December 19, 2008 2:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm just gonna come out and say it.......... A lot of people throughout the country have the same gripe. So unless you live in a glamor mecca where trendies flock for the fashion show factor AND there's plenty of hotties seriously into it (that the trendies wish they were or were fucking), don't expect much! It's awful, it's shallow, it's rude, and it's TRUE. What lowers the numbers at the garage/mod/60s nights right now is: A) It currently isn't getting much mainstream media attention. B) Most of the die hard fans are unpretentious, and have better things to do than viciously gossip and spend 4 hours on their outfit. C) ^^^ Consequently, most 60s nights are just laid back, bullshit free fun. From an advertising standpoint, that's BORING. People are more seduced by scandal. Notoriety = rising numbers! So your safest bet is to cater to the lowest common denominator. THINGS THAT SADLY HELP CLUB NIGHTS: * The dj's are good looking. Bonus points for chicks. * The dj's excell at name dropping, and pay 'rock stars' to guest dj with 'em. * The bar tenders are also good looking. Bonus points for tattoos, big hair, and 'slutty' outfits. * There's a core group of intimidating, cliquish patrons dressed to the nines. Bonus points for band members. * Fashionable, trendy, phony, college kids flock. Bonus points for slumming trust funders. * IT'S A PLACE TO SCORE DRUGS. Bonus points if that drug is COKE. Even more bonus points if drugs are done out in the open. * Most of the patrons are single or non-committed. People coming to score some ass is a great thing! Bonus points for bathroom sex. * Fights have been known to break out. Bonus points for catfights, and couples breaking up. So find as many fucked up (and wanna-be fucked up - they're more dramatic!) people as you can, and throw 'em in the same room. Of course, finding bar owners who party harder than their patrons and are too fucked up to think of legal liability helps : P. That's where older single men who's bars = penis extensions come in. No one loves young drunk chicks quite like they do. Once you've established an atmosphere of faux decadence, you're golden. Everyone in town will have a love/hate relationship with your night for one reason or another. It'll become the butt of many jokes, but so what?!?!?! You now have an audience. One that keeps talking aka giving you free publicity! Then more and more people will flock to gawk, fuck, score drugs, and get their picture taken. Eventually the media will take note, only further expanding your customer base. One day something really bad'll happen and it'll all go down in flames, but lets not worry about that : P. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME CLICK HERE: http://www.lastnightsparty.com HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
    • December 12, 2008 1:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have often wondered the same thing. I tried to do a regular "Bug House" DJ night a couple of years ago... I figured it'd be successful since I had a local garage/punk radio show (for almost 11 years, mind you) that I thought had some sort of following, and that people would dig going out and drinking and dancing to this sort of music at a bar. I flyered (shows, record stores, you name it) and did all the Myspace commenting and local email list promoting I could, and I was lucky to get 10 people to show up. So I gave it up and now I just stick to podcasting. ;)

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 20, 2008 12:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Flyer other "garage" nights or shows around town.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel