Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Crazy Garage Shit!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 9, 2012 11:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Right! We're no doubt all familiar with garage craziness like Alergic to Flowers, Dribbling Fram, Surfin Bird, Swami, etc. What is the craziest garage song out there? I'll start with this chunk of junk...

• November 13, 2012 1:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

is from the tradewinds

louiske de vos said:

the 60's recording stands on the cd land of 1000 dunces of candy records (1994)

kopper said:

I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

Aside from that single, I know nothing about T. Lance & the Coctails. Did they record anything else?

• November 11, 2012 3:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey , Andy .    Well , shedding a light on the trash is what I should be doing (Being as how we have racoons in the alley , sometimes.). Of course , Our Lord Which Art in Heaven , David Sutch , is dearly missed. Do you know that , in The US , his obituaries (Including one in Time magazine.) largely dealt with his political career , which , I know , most people called a mock political career , but, he shook things up for some 40 years , and several of his proposed bills have since become laws , with someone else taking the credit.

He was an innovator , in the rock arena (As opposed to Arena Rock.) , too , wearing his hair IMPOSSIBLY long , several years before The Beatles and The Stones arrived (And even they looked like Oi Boys , by comparison.). Of course , he jump started the whole Horror Rock thing , before Arthur Brown and Alice Cooper upped the ante for Theatre in Rock , but , I originally mistook him for a crass Screamin' Jay Hawkins imitator , and would'nt give him a chance. Once I "Got it" with him , I realized , well  OF COURSE , Screamin' Jay was the far better singer of the two , but , there's room in my heart and on my record rack for both....

I would'nt call Wesley Willis a "Garage Rocker" , I think he fits safely in the mold of "Outsider Artist". His songs were frequently hilarious ,but , they all sounded the same.

I found him to be extremely annoying , personally. I could'nt abide by his head - butting women at random , one of my friends from an out of town band was traumatized by this , before I had a chance to warn her about him. He could be comparatively "Mellow" , but , you never knew with him. He was banned from nearly every club in town at one point. But ,of course , I never wished anything bad on him.  That has nothing to do with his music , or his hysterically funny musings. I just was'nt riding on the Joy Bus , sorry.

But , to me Roky is the true King of Horror Rock , BUT , they're both Kings , Roky being the American Horror Rock King , and Sutch , The King of England. He may have never actually served in Parliament , but , The Monster Raving Looney Party was rated Fifth largest party in Great Britain.   People like this brought colour (Intentional spelling) to a culture that was drab and seemingly humorless (Though you've certainly produced some of the finest Comedians OF THE LAST 50 - something years.). Carry on Screaming ! John.

Andy Climax said:

Apart from this slice of lunacy, i know absolutely nothing about the band. John Battles sheds some light on them in a post above. I love the schlock quirkiness that comes out in some bands in the great and good garage punk scene. Kim Fowley must have a cupboard full of unreleased madness. Others that springs to mind are 'Roky' and 'Screaming Lord Sutch'. Who can forget 'Jack the Ripper'? Wot a tune. Later on he became a pseudo politician in Britain, fronting the 'Monster Raving Loony Party'. Mavericks like this are sorely missed or overlooked these days... Why? i've no idea. 'Vive la Difference' Does Wesley Willis count as Garage? I think he should, haha

• November 11, 2012 2:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 11, 2012 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper , The Coctails were a Chicago - based band that started up around 1990 , maybe '89 , I'm not sure, but , I'll say '90 , because that was when I first saw them. They became VERY popular in Chicago , and were , I guess you'd call 'em , the house band at Lounge Ax , one of the last great places in town, where nearly all the great shows happened.  Their reign only seemed to last few years , and ,when that single came out (I don't know who T. Lance is.) , I was'nt aware they were still together. I think it was just a one -off. But , various members went on to much bigger things , at least , locally , like The Sea and Cake , and , more recently , Drummer , Mark Greenburg (Who also lived in Dallas when I did.) has joined Eleventh Dream Day , who were HUGE , back when . Archer Prewitt , too , is now an established Cartoonist with 'Sof'Boy". A "Reunion' was staged on "Chic - A - Go Go" , with NO original members , even tho' Mark was stitting in the audience.

But , I'd place that single somewhere between '95 and '98 , maybe?

The Coctails definitely recorded some 45s, AND MAYBE A CD OR TWO , ON THEIR OWN , but , I never really followed them.  I think T. Lance was a friend of the band , that got them to do the recording after their apparent breakup.

kopper said:

I used to spin "Aba-Daba Do Dance" on my old radio show all the time, but I never knew when it was recorded. It totally sounds like a '60s recording, but I'm pretty sure it was newer... right? Were they a '90s band?

Aside from that single, I know nothing about T. Lance & the Coctails. Did they record anything else?

• November 11, 2012 2:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Apart from this slice of lunacy, i know absolutely nothing about the band. John Battles sheds some light on them in a post above. I love the schlock quirkiness that comes out in some bands in the great and good garage punk scene. Kim Fowley must have a cupboard full of unreleased madness. Others that springs to mind are 'Roky' and 'Screaming Lord Sutch'. Who can forget 'Jack the Ripper'? Wot a tune. Later on he became a pseudo politician in Britain, fronting the 'Monster Raving Loony Party'. Mavericks like this are sorely missed or overlooked these days... Why? i've no idea. 'Vive la Difference' Does Wesley Willis count as Garage? I think he should, haha

• November 11, 2012 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the 60's recording stands on the cd land of 1000 dunces of candy records (1994)

kopper said:

• November 11, 2012 9:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• November 11, 2012 1:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Worst Record Ever Made" by Althea & The Memories (Kim Fowley) 

• November 10, 2012 2:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's so many , and , yet , there's so few , y'know what I mean? I'm more interested in findinding utterly stoopid songs from back in the day , as you mentioned above.

I have that "Aba Daba Doo" 45 (The B-side is a pretty good version of "Why" by The Dirty Wurds.). I think it was the last thing The Coctails ever did. In fact , I had'nt heard anything about them in years when that record came out. This is VERY atypical of their repertoirre , not that that's a bad thing....They were more into this Lounge Jazz and naive 60's Pop Rock thing. Their promotional gimmicks were astounding. I wish I could say the same for their music. Nice guys , though. Anyway , you got.....

Legendary Stardust Cowboy - Paralyzed , Who's Knockin at My Door , etc.

The Driving Stupid - Horror Asparagus Stories , Green Things Have Enterred My Skin , Gladys , etc.

Ralph Nielson and The Chancellors - Scream!

Tommy Martin and The X-10s - The Hoochie Coochie.

Kai Ray - I Want Some of That.

Elastik Band - Spazz.

The Novas - The Crusher    (Don't let the fact that you've heard it a Thousand times prejudice you. The guy sounds like he's choking to death on his own vomit !).

Bunker Hill - The Girl Can't Dance (Again , it still sounds like Bunker jumping off the Empire State Building , with Link and The Raymen taking the stairs , no matter how many times you hear it.).

New Colony Six - Legend of The Batwinged Marmaduke.

Thee Midniters - I Found a Peanut. (The Alpha and The Omega on Musica Garaje Estupido.).l

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel