Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Punk and Dance Crossover!?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 11, 2012 4:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can there be such a thing? I say 'yes'. There was a huge debate over here during the summer fueled by BBC 6Music's, 50 greatest punk tunes, debate. Alot of furore over The Prodigy gettin in there. Gasp! in the top 10 no less. I think The Prodigy are more punk than some other bands out there masquerading as punk who are no more punks than my doctors left foot. DAF and Suicide (dance???), but you get what i mean. We cant afford to be precious, but if it rocks..... It's punk!!!

http://youtu.be/aQZDbBGBJsM

I rest my case

• November 20, 2012 12:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It probably was , but , apart from the fact that a lot of famous and semi - famous people appeared on it , I don't know very much about it. It could have been meant as a Naz Nomad - style put - on , but , at least that's a good record ! The Seclusions' LP would have been a lot better without all the annoying Disco beats....

Chris Henniker said:

Wasn't that done as a joke?

John Battles said:

If you want a good head - scratcher , seek out The Seclusions' album. Probably the only 60's Garage - Disco crossover album , EVER. Joey Ramone , Mickey Leigh (His Brother.) , Holly Beth Vincent (Joey's then - girlfiend.) , Jay Dee Daugherty , Busta Jones, and a plethora of other names  could'nt savethe record from being much more than a curiosity.

• November 15, 2012 5:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another track to add fuel to this argument. This is just stunning. The sublime Amorphous Androgynous and the sinister DJ Food. A perfect blend of Psyche and Dance fusion

• November 15, 2012 4:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I saw their second gig at a party my magazine's publisher threw in New Cross, purely by chance.

Andy Climax said:

Never got ma head around the Klaxxons really, but that doesn't mean shit. They've made a real name for themselves over here, especially in Scotland. Glasgow is mad for'em. Raw with that DIY feel. Y'gotta love bands that keep it on the ground and stick to their roots.

Chris Henniker said:

I know the bass player from Klaxons, Jamie Reynolds, who worked at the late Essential Records shop in Greenwich Market. Great bass player.

• November 15, 2012 4:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never got ma head around the Klaxxons really, but that doesn't mean shit. They've made a real name for themselves over here, especially in Scotland. Glasgow is mad for'em. Raw with that DIY feel. Y'gotta love bands that keep it on the ground and stick to their roots.

Chris Henniker said:

I know the bass player from Klaxons, Jamie Reynolds, who worked at the late Essential Records shop in Greenwich Market. Great bass player.

• November 15, 2012 4:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Wasn't that done as a joke?

John Battles said:

If you want a good head - scratcher , seek out The Seclusions' album. Probably the only 60's Garage - Disco crossover album , EVER. Joey Ramone , Mickey Leigh (His Brother.) , Holly Beth Vincent (Joey's then - girlfiend.) , Jay Dee Daugherty , Busta Jones, and a plethora of other names  could'nt savethe record from being much more than a curiosity.

• November 12, 2012 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guessit depends on how you define the two.....Suicide is one of the only bands with a drum machine that I can stand , and even THEY can still be pretty challenging if you're not in the mood.  I'd have to mull over it a bit....I like Lizzy Mercier Decloix's first album , but , I'd say it has little to do with Punk. Others seem to disagree. Even Nina Hagen straddled the line between the two , in the Late 80's. James CHANCE , SOMETIMES , PARTICULARLY WITH JAMES wHITE AND tHE bLACKS. Individual songs like PIL's "Fodderstompf".....I DUNNO.

PUNK FUNK is a lot easier to define , it was so much "Hipper" in the 80's.

• November 12, 2012 2:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel