Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Rumors and Urban Legends

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 27, 2012 2:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...Here's an idea I had......IT WON'T CHANGE CULTURES.

HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD RUMORS ABOUT A PERSONALITY , IT COULD BE MUSIC , TV , MOVIES , LIVING A DOUBLE LIFE , TWO SEPARATE CAREERS AS TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE?  THE MOST UNLIKELY , BUT TRUE , CASE THAT I CAN THINK OF IS THAT UK GLAM ROCK STAR , ALVIN STARDUST , STARTED HIS CAREER ABOUT 10 YEARS EARLIER AS SHANE FENTON , AND HAD HITS , THEN , TOO. THE MACABRE ANGLE TO THE STORY IS THAT ALVIN (NEE.BERNARD WILLIAM JEWRY)WAS ACTUALLY REPLACING ANOTHER SINGER  WHO'D BEEN USING THE STAGE NAME OF SHANE FENTON , BUT , DIED , SUDDENLY.

INSTEAD OF COMING UP WITH A NEW NAME , THE PREVIOUS FENTON'S NAME WAS PASSED ON TO JEWRY/STARDUST , WHO , BY THE WAY , HAS A CONCERT COMING UP , DOING SHANE FENTON'S ACT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 46 YEARS.

BETTER KNOWN , STILL , ARE - ALICE COOPER /EDDIE HASKELL (KEN OSMOND) -

THE BIG HOAX.

KEN OSMOND/JOHNNY WADD (JOHN HOLMES)- THE EVEN BIGGER HOAX.

QUESTION MARK / JOHN KAY - OK , IF YOU LOOK AT EARLY STEPPENWOLF CLIPS AND REALLY TAX YOUR IMAGINATION , BUT , EVEN THEN , COME ON !!!!!

THE WEIRDEST ONE WAS A GUY ON THE EAST COAST CLAIMING TO BE PAUL WHALEY , FORMER BLUE CHEER DRUMMER , WHEN BLUE CHEER WERE STILL TOURING AND RECORDING , WITH WHALEY.  HE HAD NO PROOF HE WAS WHO HE SAID HE WAS, AND , ANYONE WHO'D SEEN PAUL ON TOUR KNEW HE HAD TO BE AT LEAST 20 YEARS OLDER , CONSIDERABLY THINNER ,AND NOT POSESSED OF A MULLET.  THE HOAXSTER CLAIMED THAT EVERY DRUMMER WAS GIVEN THE NAME PAUL WHALEY , AND THAT HE WAS JUST ONE OF THEM , AN EVEN BIGGER LIE THAN SAYING HE WAS THEE PAUL WHALEY.

THIS HALF - BAKED SERIES OF UNTRUTHS DID'NT SEEM TO HURT PAUL OR THE BAND  ANY, BUT , BEING MISREPRESENTED WHEN THEY WERE BREAKING THEIR ASSES , UNDER CONDITIONS MEN THEIR AGES NORMALLY WOULD'NT TOLERATE , TO RE-ESTABLISH THEMSELVES IN THE US , WAS'NT PART OF THE SOLUTION , IT WAS , OF COURSE , PART OF THE PROBLEM. 

• November 27, 2012 1:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You've got to hang on to those things. I don't tell people how to handle the pain of loss , but everyone who's lost a spouse said they told them , don't let this make you cynical. And try to find somebody else.  My late friend , Donna , used to call me from different shows and hold up the phone so I could hear....Sometimes , I think she might still call from whatever great show none of us could see , here , but , maybe say the rates are terrible , and hang up.

Kirk Teeters said:

Marta claimed to not believe in any kind of afterlife, but I can't shake the feeling that she'd come back and slap the crap outta me if I didn't find things to laugh about. When we were separated, she'd send me the longest most hilarious letters about what the kidz were up to. The funniest ones were about shit like "Well, Ian managed to totally destroy the dryer with a little green army-man..."

John Battles said:

Things like that happen.....I always tell people , you WILL find something about this to make you laugh. They'll be there to remind you. Its leading up to that point that's the hard part. I only recently learned there still IS a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

Kirk Teeters said:

She'd have found it totally appropriate. I had expected at least one of the kids to give me a hard time about it, but they all thought that she'd have wanted it that way. And many's the time we laughed because her grandma missed her own funeral, because UPS didn't deliver the urn on time. Which grandma, in turn would have thought was hilarious.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW ALL OF IT , IF YOU FEEL THAT'S WHAT SHE WOULD HAVE WANTED.

Kirk Teeters said:

I'd forgotten about the smoking the ashes bit! lol

On the other hand, I keep my late wife's ashes in a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill bottle, so what  the hell do I know?

John Battles said:

BTW , We forgot the greatest rumor in recent Rock'n'Roll history.....Keith Richard smoking his Dad's ashes. He even had the press believing it , momentarily.

John Battles said:

It may be , that it goes back that far....Or it could , still , be a variation on the story of a Football team pulling a train on Louise Brooks......WITH her consent.

Mark George Harrison said:

I heard a few years ago, maybe from a Marc Almond interview, that he heard the story originated in the 50s about a (head?) cheerleader and a football team that she had been 'good' to. Maybe Rods publicist was re-cycling as well?

Kirk Teeters said:

I didn't care for Rod when I first heard him, cause he was doing 'disco-shit' like "Do ya Think I'm Sexy". It wasn't til later when I heard stuff like "Maggie May" and "the First Cut is the Deepest" that I appreciated his voice. And, no, I don't blame him for being pissed about the rumors. I got called a variety of nicknames in school because I was "all into that pansy-ass art stuff". LOL And, just like Rod, I was ALL about the women.

John Battles said:

It's so true. I have no particular admiration for Marc Almond , but , not knowing what it's like to be Gay , or someone in the public eye, I still know rumors can be really damaging. I don't think the original rumor did Rod Stewart any damage , but , who could blame him for being pissed off ? It took me YEARS to appreciate his singing at all , but , I knew , centuries ago , that he was all about women , just as women were all about him.   

Kirk Teeters said:

It really is interesting, from a sociological point of view. Now that we have the internet, these things can spread even faster (and in some cases be 'debunked' faster as well.) But rumors have spread faster than the speed of thought probably since the beginning of time.

John Battles said:

I GUESS MY TAKE ON IT IS , IS'NT IT POSSIBLE SOMEONE MERELY REVISED THE STORY , AND IT  TOOK OFF , ONCE AGAIN?
        If it happened , it would have been difficult for the press not to have a field day with it , and , by that I mean a few REAL newspapers , not The Sun , The Star or our own National Enquirer , Examiner , etc. Unless (Understandably) , Almond paid a lot of people off to be quiet.
      Nero said:

I can back Mark George Harrison up on this one, I was going to say the same thing until I came across his post. When I started reading this thread I had to Google the Rod Stewart myth to find out what is was, only to find that it was the one I'd heard attributed to Marc Almond, roughly around the time of 'Tainted Love', or a bit later. 

John Battles said:

IN SLADESPEAK : CUM ON , MAN , YER MAKIN THAT NOIZE UP.

Strangely I'd never heard the Rod myth, here (UK) it was always credited to Marc Almond.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 24, 2012 10:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Colin Bell (end) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ! I heard that story too , believe it or not. So WRONG, even tho' I can't remember who that is. Yep , at The Rezillos gig the other night ,all these skinheads and otherwise Football player - build boys went on a moshing tirade during "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight" , like the song was meant to be taken seriously , and like The Rezillos WERE'NT EVEN KIDDING WHEN THEY RECORDED IT, AND AS IF IT WERE'NT A FLEETWOOD MAC SONG TO BEGIN WITH.  I KNOW , PRETENDING IT'S STILL THE 80'S IS COOL AND ALL THAT , , BUT , SLAMMING , AS WE CALLED IT , BACK THEN , HAD ABOUT A ONE YEAR SHELF LIFE. IF EVEN.

• November 24, 2012 3:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How weird is that?? Just turned the TV on and a programme came on about Hattie Jacques and fuck me who comes on to talk about her but Anita "bath time toy' Harris! Haven't seen her for years! She probably sang to them JB, a popular chant from the time was the very un-pc 'your'e going home like Sandy Richardson!' or 'your'e going home in a fucking ambulance!' .

I wonder if first in the queue was Colin Bell(end)?

John Battles said:

Boy , you would'nt say that about Manchester United , today , would you, or YOU'RE - GON -NA GET YOU FUCK- IN- HEAD - KICKED - IN !!!! Did they have to wave scarves around during sex , I wonder?

• November 24, 2012 3:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Marta claimed to not believe in any kind of afterlife, but I can't shake the feeling that she'd come back and slap the crap outta me if I didn't find things to laugh about. When we were separated, she'd send me the longest most hilarious letters about what the kidz were up to. The funniest ones were about shit like "Well, Ian managed to totally destroy the dryer with a little green army-man..."

John Battles said:

Things like that happen.....I always tell people , you WILL find something about this to make you laugh. They'll be there to remind you. Its leading up to that point that's the hard part. I only recently learned there still IS a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

Kirk Teeters said:

She'd have found it totally appropriate. I had expected at least one of the kids to give me a hard time about it, but they all thought that she'd have wanted it that way. And many's the time we laughed because her grandma missed her own funeral, because UPS didn't deliver the urn on time. Which grandma, in turn would have thought was hilarious.

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

On the other hand, I keep my late wife's ashes in a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill bottle, so what  the hell do I know?

John Battles said:

BTW , We forgot the greatest rumor in recent Rock'n'Roll history.....Keith Richard smoking his Dad's ashes. He even had the press believing it , momentarily.

John Battles said:

It may be , that it goes back that far....Or it could , still , be a variation on the story of a Football team pulling a train on Louise Brooks......WITH her consent.

I heard a few years ago, maybe from a Marc Almond interview, that he heard the story originated in the 50s about a (head?) cheerleader and a football team that she had been 'good' to. Maybe Rods publicist was re-cycling as well?

Kirk Teeters said:

I didn't care for Rod when I first heard him, cause he was doing 'disco-shit' like "Do ya Think I'm Sexy". It wasn't til later when I heard stuff like "Maggie May" and "the First Cut is the Deepest" that I appreciated his voice. And, no, I don't blame him for being pissed about the rumors. I got called a variety of nicknames in school because I was "all into that pansy-ass art stuff". LOL And, just like Rod, I was ALL about the women.

John Battles said:

It's so true. I have no particular admiration for Marc Almond , but , not knowing what it's like to be Gay , or someone in the public eye, I still know rumors can be really damaging. I don't think the original rumor did Rod Stewart any damage , but , who could blame him for being pissed off ? It took me YEARS to appreciate his singing at all , but , I knew , centuries ago , that he was all about women , just as women were all about him.   

Kirk Teeters said:

It really is interesting, from a sociological point of view. Now that we have the internet, these things can spread even faster (and in some cases be 'debunked' faster as well.) But rumors have spread faster than the speed of thought probably since the beginning of time.

John Battles said:

I GUESS MY TAKE ON IT IS , IS'NT IT POSSIBLE SOMEONE MERELY REVISED THE STORY , AND IT  TOOK OFF , ONCE AGAIN?
        If it happened , it would have been difficult for the press not to have a field day with it , and , by that I mean a few REAL newspapers , not The Sun , The Star or our own National Enquirer , Examiner , etc. Unless (Understandably) , Almond paid a lot of people off to be quiet.
      Nero said:

I can back Mark George Harrison up on this one, I was going to say the same thing until I came across his post. When I started reading this thread I had to Google the Rod Stewart myth to find out what is was, only to find that it was the one I'd heard attributed to Marc Almond, roughly around the time of 'Tainted Love', or a bit later. 

John Battles said:

Strangely I'd never heard the Rod myth, here (UK) it was always credited to Marc Almond.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 24, 2012 2:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boy , you would'nt say that about Manchester United , today , would you, or YOU'RE - GON -NA GET YOU FUCK- IN- HEAD - KICKED - IN !!!! Did they have to wave scarves around during sex , I wonder?

• November 24, 2012 8:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Could be JB, there was a story in the 70s along a similar vein about Anita Harris(mainstay on crap 70s tv shows) and the entire Manchester City football team. This was in the days when the whole team shared a bath and, allegedly, a whole lot more!

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 11:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 10:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 10:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 10:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 9:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right , Terry was Doris Day's stepson , and moving up the ladder in the record industry. Charlie might have been after Melcher's people....or , just anyone he deemed high profile , enough , in Hollywood. Maybe he thought Roman Polanski was at his home , too , when he was'nt. The original "Creepy Crawlers" murders were reportedly a buildup to the 'Celebrity Death List" , with Johnny Carson , Tom Jones and other predominant celebrities scheduled for slaughter . As Dennis Wilson said "I'm the luckiest man in the world. I only lost money.".

Kirk Teeters said:

I've heard the one about what ended up being called the Tate/La Bianca murders. Terry Melcher was apparently the stepson of Doris Day and a music company exec, and Manson sent (or led) his 'family' there as direct retaliation to being denied a songwriting contract. (Sidenote; the pilot for the Kojak series was based on those murders, so... Telly Savalas got some work out of it, at least.)

John Carlucci said:

There are a number or Rumors all involving death that I've heard throughout the years  have no idea if any are true or not...

• Keith Relf of The Yardbirds was electrocuted while playing guitar & shaving at the same time
      • That The Labianca house, scene of one of the Manson Murders used to be the residence of Terry Melcher, an A& R Rep who rejected Manson's demo recordings & that Manson thought he still lived there and he was the actual target of the murder
      • That Jimi Hendrix was killed by The Black Panthers for not using his position to further their cause
      • That Bobby Fuller was killed by the Mafia
      • That Courtney Killed Kurt & stole all his unrecorded songs for her own band Hole

I can probably think of a few more... Oh Yeah, suppossedly John Wayne Gacy was a big fan of Rockabilly & he used to order records from a shop in the UK in Camden. I've been to that record shop & they have a painting of Elvis on the wall, they Claim Gacy sent them.

• November 23, 2012 8:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've heard the one about what ended up being called the Tate/La Bianca murders. Terry Melcher was apparently the stepson of Doris Day and a music company exec, and Manson sent (or led) his 'family' there as direct retaliation to being denied a songwriting contract. (Sidenote; the pilot for the Kojak series was based on those murders, so... Telly Savalas got some work out of it, at least.)

John Carlucci said:

There are a number or Rumors all involving death that I've heard throughout the years  have no idea if any are true or not...

• Keith Relf of The Yardbirds was electrocuted while playing guitar & shaving at the same time
      • That The Labianca house, scene of one of the Manson Murders used to be the residence of Terry Melcher, an A& R Rep who rejected Manson's demo recordings & that Manson thought he still lived there and he was the actual target of the murder
      • That Jimi Hendrix was killed by The Black Panthers for not using his position to further their cause
      • That Courtney Killed Kurt & stole all his unrecorded songs for her own band Hole

I can probably think of a few more... Oh Yeah, suppossedly John Wayne Gacy was a big fan of Rockabilly & he used to order records from a shop in the UK in Camden. I've been to that record shop & they have a painting of Elvis on the wall, they Claim Gacy sent them.

• November 23, 2012 8:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've heard all those stories , some only in  part.

Relf , by all accounts, was electrocuted when he fell asleep with his guitar still plugged in , and wearing  headphones hooked up to his amp. His Son said he found him , unresponsive , but , thought he was just sleeping.

The Manson story , I've heard. Mark Lindsay even said in Ugly Things , recently, that he saw Manson, briefly, either at Melcher's house or hanging with his entourage at Mark's own house.   Melcher was also Doris Day's Son . Also , legendary Trash Filmmaker , Al Adamson, was shooting scenes for "Satan's Sadists" on the Spahn ranch , when an unassuming Manson offered to help repair Adamson's jeep. The movie's ad campaign incorporated references to the recently incarcerated Charlie , comparing Russ Tamblyn's gang in the movie to "The Family". The sick fuck who brutally murdered Adamson , years later , would have made Manson and Gacy proud.

How much validity there is to the Hendrix story , I can't say , though , I've heard that , too. The Panthers met with him , reportedly , about playing a benefit , but he was'nt interested in backing Black Militants , at the cost of alienating his predominately White fanbase , so he declined. I seriously doubt they had him killed as a result. His death seems like yet another  drug - related death (But , not an O.D.) , the likes of which put several of his friends and peers into an early grave. Even playing with an all Black BAND (THE BAND OF GYPSIES SHOW YOU MENTIONED, OF COURSE....)was reportedly done under duress from Black interest groups.

In the big Fuller article in Kicks , I think Randy Fuller or Rick Stone were quoted as saying Bobby had been seeing the girlfriend of a powerful local gangster. Whether he was tied to THEE Mob was'nt clarified. I'm sure Miriam's book on Fuller will shed a LOT more light on that.  Somebody must have been paid off , as Bobby's cause of death was listed as "Suicide" when  there's no way he could have drank all that gasoline , lacerated himself in places he could'nt reach , and beaten himself to a pulp , besides.

I heard that Courtney story , too. It seems like , in reality , Kurt had had it with Courtney , and the direction his career and his life had taken ,  and decided to take his life.  I've never heard a HOLE song that was worth killing anybody over, that's for sure. 

Never heard about Gacy being a 'Billy boy , but , who's to say? He was selling those paintings from prison. Whether he ordered anything from that store , or they just bought the painting from him , or from a collector , who knows?

BTW , who , here , knows about the "Jimi Hendrix Sex Tapes"?

• November 23, 2012 7:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 23, 2012 3:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 3:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's funny , Kirk , is I was hearing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" at the mall , roller rink , places like that......
      But , I was hearing tuff songs like "The Ball Trap" and "No Substitute For Love" on the Rock stations at the same time....And , just before , "The First Cut is The Deepest", .....I did'nt hate his pre - Disco hits , I just could'nt abide by that voice FOR YEARS. Now , I like it , fine , esp. with The Faces , but , a good deal of his solo tracks WERE , more or less , The Faces , plus Martin Quintenton. But , I was a kid , and ignernt as shit , I wanted to believe the rumor ,at the time.   On the other hand , I know just what you mean . I liked sports OK , BUT , A FUNNY THING HAPPENED , I found out about girls . I forgot about following sports , tho' I still liked playing Baseball , Soccer/Football , and Swimming . But , if you did'nt get your nut watching big Football men crushed together , then guess which team you played for , and I don't mean sports teams. By the time I got into Punk Rock , I did'nt get too much shit about it in High School. But , earlier , I got all KINDSA shit for liking The Stones , The Beatles , The Who....I find that really humorous , now. Of course , when The Stones did come to town a few years later , the same people making negative shit up about them , were going to see them. Then again , I knocked Punk UNTIL I heard it. WHERE I LIVED , YOU HAD TO OWN THOSE RECORDS TO HEAR 'EM....I still enjoyed keeping up with it , before I became a fan. I quickly saw the connection to the early Stones , Who , and , of course , American Garage Rock ,when I finally heard it.

A RUMOR IN THE MAKING....BUT IT'S TRUE : Old School comedians , Bob and Ray , hosted SNL , probably in '79....They did this big Disco parody production with lots of glitz , a full band (Back when people still danced to full bands.) , and Gilda , Lorraine and Jane in Disco outfits , singing the verses to "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy".....Nothing unusual , but they HAD to be up to something. THEN , when they cut to the chorus , you saw Bob and Ray , both about 70 at the time , in another room , a den , as I recall , in suits , sitting in armchairs , givin' it all they had  "IF YOU WANTY MY BOOOOOOODY , AND YA THINK I'M SEEEEEEEXYYY..."

It was funnier than Hell. I say it's a potential rumor , because the routine was deleted from the box set. Probably not because of Rod (Who turned up on SNL , a few years later , with Tina Turner, who still had yet to make a comeback by eschewing R'n'B.), BUT , MORE LIKELY , THE PUBLISHING COMPANY THAT OWNED THE SONG.....

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 23, 2012 2:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 22, 2012 9:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 22, 2012 8:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kirk Teeters said:

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 22, 2012 7:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

• November 22, 2012 6:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , it was a Cherry Ripe , wunnit?  Almost as good is the story about Angie Bowie catching David with Mick Jagger in a closet. Sometimes , the story goes that Bette Midler was in there with them. This was almost 30 years before that suck - out - loud "Trapped in The Closet" epic , too.

• November 22, 2012 6:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wait wait wait... do I have this right? No one has mentioned 'the drug bust', Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithful, and a certain confectionery?

I mean, that has to be waaaaaaaaay up there on the top of the list...

I consider this one to be garagepunk worthy!

• November 22, 2012 6:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nero said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

trashman said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel