Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Rumors and Urban Legends

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 6, 2012 4:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lery's dog was named Mark Farner.

dave said:

Um, it's almost painful to bring up, but many of those early punk bands had extremely
      Catholic tastes in music. Greg Ginn loved the Dead more than just about anyone, and he'd listen to free jazz, and anything else he could get his hands on. And of course the Surfers (Leary in particular) loved hard rock/metal like Grand Funk Railroad (isn't his dog named after their drummer?). Tim Kerr loves the Dead, fer cryin' out loud!

Love that Leary story, hell, I can actually see it happenin'.

Ha, you put the screws to Lillian Roxxon, let's hope kids know how to find better stuff now on teh Interwebs...
      John Battles said:

When I was in College , the same people who listened to Hendrix and Cream also listened to The Butthole Surfers. It was'nt that far of a stretch , I hate to say.......Though , of course , The Butthole Surfers were a lot more experimental than their predecessors......

But , what does that have to do with Urban Legends in Rock , you say?

Well , an interviewer asked Paul Leary from The Butthle Surfers , "How did you learn to play like Jimi Hendrix?" He said , he was on a bad acid trip , where , at some point , he was convinced he'd be come Jimi Hendrix. When he came back down , he discovered that he could play"Just like" Hendrix..... That's an old myth that's probably made it around High Schools all over the country. A guy takes acid , thinks he's Jimi Hendrix , either regards the notion as a silly thing , later , or , ends up in a mental hospital. But , Paul's story ends up with him somehow channeling Jimi. He certainly played more like him than wasotherwise acceptable in the "Hardcore Uber Alles" days , but , the tide was turning ,  Feedback/Skronk bands were copping to being influenced by Late 60's Heavy Rock and Psych. Bands like Sonic Youth , Big Black , Live Skull , Scratch Acid and Lithium Xmas  were moving in , unashamed to use a Vox Wah - Wah pedal or a Big Muff Pi before Seattle made it fashionable. Flaming Lips were big on THE Late 60's - early 70's Mainstream Rock tip , which would have probably got them burned at the stake a few years earlier  . I never got it with 'em , myself , but , they were one of those bands , poised to go national , that you did not dare say you disliked , just like (Brace yourselves)  Smashing Pumpkins......

I highly recommend Roxxon's Encyclopedia , if only for the inaccuracies and stuff that appeared to have just been made up.......Like listing Led Zeppelin as the then - current (1969  ? ) Yardbirds lineup , or dedicating a small chapter to "Punk Rock" , meaning Early Alice Cooper , Bloodrock and Black Sabbath. IN THAT , THOUGH , IT PROBABLY WAS THE FIRST USE OF THE TERM IN PRINT.
      dave said:

I stand corrected, but you can keep the Cream, ack! Bad High School memories, always looking for 'good' music (this was the early 80s, you whippersnappers, ;) !) See, the trouble was my thinkin' that a school library would have a book on good music (it's an 'adults vs. kids' mindset we're talkin' about, heah). I found Lillian Roxxon's Encyclopedia of Rock. Started reading about names I heard, like Hendrix, and yes, Cream, and thought, these guys sound interesting. I went right out and bought all of the Cream discography. BIG mistake! Worst garbage I've heard ('til I got to Hendrix, Jethro Tull, etc.).

On the other hand, my 1st roomie, a friend from my class, loved all of that crap, plus 'Hippie-lite' stuff like Blood Sweat, and Tears, 3 Dog Night, etc. Needless to say, we parted ways after a semester, and my new roomie turned my onto Flex Your Head, the Butthole Surfers, the Birthday Party, etc. It was a good year!

Thanks for letting me ramble...

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 6, 2012 4:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you have doubts , go see him now. But , don't pay, if you can help it.

Chris Henniker said:

I never knew that. I knew The Ramones were into stuff like the early Elvis, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, The VU, The Stooges, Little Richard and the girl groups of the 50's, but Gregg Ginn liking the Greatful Dead?

dave said:

Um, it's almost painful to bring up, but many of those early punk bands had extremely
      Catholic tastes in music. Greg Ginn loved the Dead more than just about anyone, and he'd listen to free jazz, and anything else he could get his hands on. And of course the Surfers (Leary in particular) loved hard rock/metal like Grand Funk Railroad (isn't his dog named after their drummer?). Tim Kerr loves the Dead, fer cryin' out loud!

Ha, you put the screws to Lillian Roxxon, let's hope kids know how to find better stuff now on teh Interwebs...
      John Battles said:

When I was in College , the same people who listened to Hendrix and Cream also listened to The Butthole Surfers. It was'nt that far of a stretch , I hate to say.......Though , of course , The Butthole Surfers were a lot more experimental than their predecessors......

Well , an interviewer asked Paul Leary from The Butthle Surfers , "How did you learn to play like Jimi Hendrix?" He said , he was on a bad acid trip , where , at some point , he was convinced he'd be come Jimi Hendrix. When he came back down , he discovered that he could play"Just like" Hendrix..... That's an old myth that's probably made it around High Schools all over the country. A guy takes acid , thinks he's Jimi Hendrix , either regards the notion as a silly thing , later , or , ends up in a mental hospital. But , Paul's story ends up with him somehow channeling Jimi. He certainly played more like him than wasotherwise acceptable in the "Hardcore Uber Alles" days , but , the tide was turning ,  Feedback/Skronk bands were copping to being influenced by Late 60's Heavy Rock and Psych. Bands like Sonic Youth , Big Black , Live Skull , Scratch Acid and Lithium Xmas  were moving in , unashamed to use a Vox Wah - Wah pedal or a Big Muff Pi before Seattle made it fashionable. Flaming Lips were big on THE Late 60's - early 70's Mainstream Rock tip , which would have probably got them burned at the stake a few years earlier  . I never got it with 'em , myself , but , they were one of those bands , poised to go national , that you did not dare say you disliked , just like (Brace yourselves)  Smashing Pumpkins......

I highly recommend Roxxon's Encyclopedia , if only for the inaccuracies and stuff that appeared to have just been made up.......Like listing Led Zeppelin as the then - current (1969  ? ) Yardbirds lineup , or dedicating a small chapter to "Punk Rock" , meaning Early Alice Cooper , Bloodrock and Black Sabbath. IN THAT , THOUGH , IT PROBABLY WAS THE FIRST USE OF THE TERM IN PRINT.
      dave said:

I stand corrected, but you can keep the Cream, ack! Bad High School memories, always looking for 'good' music (this was the early 80s, you whippersnappers, ;) !) See, the trouble was my thinkin' that a school library would have a book on good music (it's an 'adults vs. kids' mindset we're talkin' about, heah). I found Lillian Roxxon's Encyclopedia of Rock. Started reading about names I heard, like Hendrix, and yes, Cream, and thought, these guys sound interesting. I went right out and bought all of the Cream discography. BIG mistake! Worst garbage I've heard ('til I got to Hendrix, Jethro Tull, etc.).

On the other hand, my 1st roomie, a friend from my class, loved all of that crap, plus 'Hippie-lite' stuff like Blood Sweat, and Tears, 3 Dog Night, etc. Needless to say, we parted ways after a semester, and my new roomie turned my onto Flex Your Head, the Butthole Surfers, the Birthday Party, etc. It was a good year!

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 6, 2012 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You've got a point.  I remember Gibby or Paul saying "We're not a Hardcore band , we're more or a Grateful Dead for The 90's." (  A LOT OF PEOPLE THOUGHT THEY WERE A HARDCORE BAND , AND SLAMMING , OR MOSHING , WAS STILL COMMON , EVEN DURING THE SLOWER SONGS. But , the quote was from the 80's , they were looking forward to the 90's....).

BUT , unlike The Dead , who  (Barring maybe their VERY early shows.) , were'nt Psychedelic at all , I thought The Surfers were more like an Elevators for the 80's (By 1988 , I'd given up on them , and stopped apologizing for their inconsistencies.). Their shows were frequently unpredictable and increasingly Psychedelic. Of course , a lot of people were "TRIP - pin" before the show began. Others , like myself , were TRIP - pin' , anyway , with no drugs involved . THAT's Psychedelia , and that's where , I maintain , The Dead failed. If they were truly Psychedelic , their boring jams would still make it to the expressway of your skull , without the use of psychedelics.   "Pepper" was a hit , of course , but The Butthole Surfers MIGHT HAVE HAD A HIT , SOONER , IF THEY'D CHANGED THEIR NAME. It took The Dead over 20 years to score a hit , and this was after playing football stadiums. Were both hits a fluke ? I dunno . I remember The Dead only getting nominal airplay (For which I thank them.) , they could have had a hit ,  much sooner, To me , they had the sufficient dullness to pull it off.....But , I admit , Garcia said something I liked , "There was a time we would have sold out , on some level , but, no one was buying .". 

• December 6, 2012 4:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I know! It's all in the book, OUR BAND COULD BE YOUR LIFE, and the author goes even further in calling the Surfers the new Dead: they loved psychedelics, attracted a rabid fan base, who followed them around from gig to gig, they even got a radio hit, just like the Grateful Dead.

• December 6, 2012 4:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I never knew that. I knew The Ramones were into stuff like the early Elvis, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, The VU, The Stooges, Little Richard and the girl groups of the 50's, but Gregg Ginn liking the Greatful Dead?

dave said:

John Battles said:

dave said:

John Battles said:

• December 6, 2012 3:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

dave said:

John Battles said:

• December 6, 2012 3:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

John Battles said:

• December 5, 2012 3:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 4, 2012 10:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I remember that , too. I've only watched it , once. Living in the states  , I had to buy a copy (Which is fine.) , it did'nt even make the Foreign Film Festival circuit , apparently.

• December 4, 2012 9:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I think I saw this in the Joe Meek Film, scenes where he held seances to summon his spirit.

Ryan Katastrophe said:

Exactly. I've also heard that Meek and Geoff Goddard would frequently try to make contact with Holly beyond the grave to seek advice on music they were working on. Freaky.

• December 4, 2012 9:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exactly. I've also heard that Meek and Geoff Goddard would frequently try to make contact with Holly beyond the grave to seek advice on music they were working on. Freaky.

• December 4, 2012 8:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ryan , That was a good one. Whether Meek really named the day while Buddy was living , or said that he'd made the prediction , when he had'nt , is'nt clear. Holly , of course , was one of Meek's biggest obsessions , and it did'nt even appear to be sexual. He was just that into the guy's music , to the point that he'd kill himself on the anniversary of his death , even.

• December 4, 2012 8:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always liked the story of producer Joe Meek predicting the death of Buddy Holly through the use of a ouija board. Joe felt compelled enough to tell Holly who just so happened to be touring Europe. He supposedly told Holly that he was to die on February 3rd. Of course, that date would come and go without incident...until exactly one year later.

• December 2, 2012 8:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right , it is.

Kirk Teeters said:

One word: crass.

John Battles said:

• December 2, 2012 7:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One word: crass.

John Battles said:

• December 2, 2012 7:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 2, 2012 2:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whew, wotta song quote!!

Good post. What else can I add?

• December 2, 2012 2:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's horrible. But , the first thing that came to mind , when I heard the news about Clapton's Son (Besides , what kind of person leaves the window wide open in an apartment building when there's a small child around?) was (Set to the tune of "Badge " by Cream) -

"I Told You Not To Walk To Close To The Ledge.....". It came to me in an instant. And I THOUGHT , OH , GOD , I COULD NEVER USE IT......BUT....YOU asked for it.

Losing a child , though , makes people like this seem that much more human. It made Robert Plant seem human , but , he did'nt do a top selling, award winning album and video of dull remakes of his old songs (That would be Plant and Page , MANY years later.) to "Mourn". Jerry Lee lost TWO sons. In a life and career that reeked of sensationalism , no attempt was made to sensationalize these tragedies. The Killer already thought God and the world were against him , anyway. Roy Orbison lost , what , two, three children ? , and he seemed like the nicest guy in the world. You can't dumb down a tragedy like Clapton losing a son , even if you don't care for him. But ,  I think his response was all wrong , even if it's not my place to say.

P.S. McCartney put out his last ass- whompin' Rock'n'Roll album shortly after Linda died. I'm sure most "Fans"wanted weepy love songs , but, he'd already done that. Instead , he let his anger collide with his sadness (If you've been thru this , and most of us have , loss brings with it MANY conlicting emotions.), and made a Rock'n'Roll record ("Run , Devil , Run") so shit - hot , many of his fans HATED it. THAT made Sir Macca seem that much more human to me.

dave said:

Oh, come on, John (wheedle), do please tell us, hanh? 

[elbows John]

• December 1, 2012 5:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

CLAPTRAP PROBABLY SURMISED THAT THE JAMC WERE'NT "PROPER GUITAR PLAYERS' like he....when his departure from The  Yardbirds opened the door to real innovation. He was all right with John Mayall , I thought ,but , Peter Green was better (And the sky is blue , and "American Idol" is a crap program.).

Chris Henniker said:

I love JAMC, but why would Crapton slag 'em off? Wonder what Slowhand would have made of Primal Scream?

dave said:

I assume that someone has already contributed the Rod Stewart story of our youth, so I won't mention that.

How many Tablespoons go into a quart, anyway?

Here's one that will only appeal to the hardcore rock and roll fan...

The Jesus and Mary Chain were slated to appear on British television w/ Eric Crapton. They had just gotten new guitars, but didn't like the colour, so they took flat black cans of spray paint, and gave 'em a new paint-job backstage, strings an' all!

Clapton was supposed to be so appalled that he gave the guys a tongue-lashing (I can just imagine what little effect it had on 'em, staring at him w/ 1000 micrograms of Love coursing through their bodies, haha!).

• November 30, 2012 5:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I love JAMC, but why would Crapton slag 'em off? Wonder what Slowhand would have made of Primal Scream?

dave said:

I assume that someone has already contributed the Rod Stewart story of our youth, so I won't mention that.

The Jesus and Mary Chain were slated to appear on British television w/ Eric Crapton. They had just gotten new guitars, but didn't like the colour, so they took flat black cans of spray paint, and gave 'em a new paint-job backstage, strings an' all!

Clapton was supposed to be so appalled that he gave the guys a tongue-lashing (I can just imagine what little effect it had on 'em, staring at him w/ 1000 micrograms of Love coursing through their bodies, haha!).

• November 30, 2012 5:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, come on, John (wheedle), do please tell us, hanh? 

[elbows John]

• November 30, 2012 5:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I could say something terrible , but I won't......(Beg me.).

dave said:

Ouch. Capitalized on the death of his son, too. 

But I digress...

• November 30, 2012 4:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ouch. Capitalized on the death of his son, too. 

But I digress...

• November 30, 2012 4:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I only remember , a friend of mine told that story to his PARENTS. His mom said "That would take about FIFTY MEN!" , THEN SHE RAN OUT OF THE HOUSE. I MADE THAT LAST PART UP.

THE JAMC SHOULD HAVE TOLD CLAPTON , "BUT , YOU'VE BEEN PERFORMING IN BLACKFACE FOR YEARS !".

• November 30, 2012 3:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel