Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Radio

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 24, 2012 7:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The story of those Pirate Radios in Britain belongs to the most fascinating in all Radio History to me. I wish i could have heard at one...

Like a lot the song you´ve posted!

Lennonesque love? :D
      Nope!

Andy Climax said:

get a room you lot, haha. Is this a Lennonesque love in here??? In Britain, we had Pirate radio. All the jocks who were anyone in the 60's and 70's cut their teeth there. A boat would be just out of British waters and have international clearance. If you were in the know, you knew the frequencies to listen on. The reception was sketchy at times and sometimes you would have half a record and half fuzz and interference, but we listened. Radio Luxembourg being a particular fave of mine. Then wonderful Auntie Beeb (BBC) thought lets get 'em on board (pardon the pun) and Radio One was born. Then you had Peel or Whisperin' Bob Harris (A total fanny). Peel won by a country mile. After what Harris said live on telly about the Dolls he became an even larger fanny or dare i say it 'A C**T! Peel played everything from Krautrack to Pyche to power pop and everything in between. Admittedly he played some absolute shite but for every show, i would always have a notebook and at least 15 new bands to check out. This was before the internet and downloading, of course, which meant a bus journey to town and a trip to ma fave record shops, Groucho's (stiil living) and Rockpile (now very sadly defunct). Them was the days. Now i can hear a band and within 10 minutes know their entire history, who they've slept with and favourite chocolate bar, and have their entire back catalogue at the push of an 'enter' button. It's taken the whole personality out of music collecting. The days when collecting meant physically speaking face to face with someone. I miss those days, but dem's da breaks. Peel's death was a national catastrophe and even if you think the last 10 were pants it was still better than watchin fuckin' MTV, let's face it. I'm gonna come down off ma soapbox now and get back to 'Rock'n'Roll Radio.' Keep it real and keep it live!

• November 24, 2012 10:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

get a room you lot, haha. Is this a Lennonesque love in here??? In Britain, we had Pirate radio. All the jocks who were anyone in the 60's and 70's cut their teeth there. A boat would be just out of British waters and have international clearance. If you were in the know, you knew the frequencies to listen on. The reception was sketchy at times and sometimes you would have half a record and half fuzz and interference, but we listened. Radio Luxembourg being a particular fave of mine. Then wonderful Auntie Beeb (BBC) thought lets get 'em on board (pardon the pun) and Radio One was born. Then you had Peel or Whisperin' Bob Harris (A total fanny). Peel won by a country mile. After what Harris said live on telly about the Dolls he became an even larger fanny or dare i say it 'A C**T! Peel played everything from Krautrack to Pyche to power pop and everything in between. Admittedly he played some absolute shite but for every show, i would always have a notebook and at least 15 new bands to check out. This was before the internet and downloading, of course, which meant a bus journey to town and a trip to ma fave record shops, Groucho's (stiil living) and Rockpile (now very sadly defunct). Them was the days. Now i can hear a band and within 10 minutes know their entire history, who they've slept with and favourite chocolate bar, and have their entire back catalogue at the push of an 'enter' button. It's taken the whole personality out of music collecting. The days when collecting meant physically speaking face to face with someone. I miss those days, but dem's da breaks. Peel's death was a national catastrophe and even if you think the last 10 were pants it was still better than watchin fuckin' MTV, let's face it. I'm gonna come down off ma soapbox now and get back to 'Rock'n'Roll Radio.' Keep it real and keep it live!

• November 24, 2012 10:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WFMU's Rock & Soul Ichiban is my favorite when I'm not tuning in the latest podcasts on GaragePunk Pirate Radio, natch. We have a Grace Digital wifi radio in our dining room and have it on constantly!

http://wfmuichiban.blogspot.com/

I also listen to a lot of KDHX here in St. Louis. It's the local community radio station with all sorts of different shows from classic country & western to rhythm & blues to punk/indie/rock'n'roll. It's also where I used to host my show, The Wayback Machine.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• November 22, 2012 8:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

S'okay Teriscore -- he loves hearin' it! And we love it when he's funny!

Now, back to our programme...
      The songs that stick in my head about radio are all the poppy ones that I'm sure stick in everyone else's... Radio, Radio... blah blah blah.

Having grown up in Chicago, it was always Larry Lujack and the AM blasting. But at least back in the '70's the top 40 didn't complete 'suck out loud' like Gentleman John Battles likes to say. Then, it was WXRT when I graduated to FM radio... 'course that station hasn't been good since like, 1979. Hardly, if ever, played much local stuff, though they would beg to differ...

There's real local music on our www.threedradio.com (streaming if you like). And it's sad to say they play more American blues than some places do in the USA. Go figger.

Mel

Tersicore said:

Ok, i go intentionally off topic to tell you, you can be really funny sometimes! :D

John Battles said:

I LOVE IT , GET ALIVE ! I MAY HAVE TO USE THAT. IT COULD BE A SONG TITLE. OTHERWISE , I'M NOT INVOLVED IN THAT CONVERSATION , JUST SAYING , I LIKE THAT.

• November 22, 2012 7:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok, i go intentionally off topic to tell you, you can be really funny sometimes! :D

John Battles said:

I LOVE IT , GET ALIVE ! I MAY HAVE TO USE THAT. IT COULD BE A SONG TITLE. OTHERWISE , I'M NOT INVOLVED IN THAT CONVERSATION , JUST SAYING , I LIKE THAT.

• November 22, 2012 7:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I will say , we had nothing like DJ John Peel when I was growing up . I MUST SAY SOME PROPS TO GEORGE GIMARC. HE WAS THE ONLY DJ IN THE DALLAS /FT.WORTH AREA WHO WOULD , OR WAS EVEN ALLOWED TO , PLAY PUNK , NEW WAVE ,WHATEVERKINDA MUSIC IN THE VERY LATE 70'S ON INTO THE MID - 80'S , WHICH IS WHEN WE FINALLY GOT A PUBLIC RADIO STATION , KNON , THOUGH GIMARC ENJOYED THE SAME POPULARITY , EVEN IF HE STARTED LOSING HIS EDGE.....WHEN HE STARTED HIS PROGRAM "THE ROCK'N'ROLL ALTERNATIVE" (BACK WHEN THAT PHRASE MEANT SOMETHING.)  , HE WAS'NT EVEN ALLOWED TO SAY "PUNK" OR "NEW WAVE'' ON THE AIR . HE BEGAN CALLING IT BOONDOGWE AND MUNTABWE MUSIC , INSTEAD....GEORGE PLAYED A LOT OF RARE - UPON RELEASE IMPORTS, AND HELPED YOUNGER SHITS LIKE ME CATCH UP WITH THE LAST 4 OR 5 YEARS OF PUNK.  BUT , HE PLAYED JUST ABOUT ANYTHING , UNTIL HE STARTED GETTING PRESSURED , YEARS LATER , TO PLAY SAFER STUFF. HENCE , HITS BY MEN AT WORK , CULTURE CLUB , DURAN DURAN , HUMAN LEAGUE , SOFT CELL AND OTHERS DEBUTED ON HIS SHOW , THOUGH A LOT OF BANDS THAT WERE POPULAR IN BRITAIN HAD YET TO SIGN TO A U.S. LABEL , AND BECOME POPULAR , HERE. TO MY KNOWLEDGE , GEORGE BROKE "DA DA DA" BEFORE ANY U.S. DJ HAD THE CAJONES TO PLAY IT. GEORGE HAS SINCE WRITTEN "HOLLYWOOD HI FI" ( A SELECTION OF FAVORITE CELEBRITY RECORDS.) AND THE "PUNK DIARY" TWO - BOOK SERIES.

• November 22, 2012 6:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey!! Get alive! I´m talking about the Paaaaaaaaast! 
       I´m just at the beginning of my story! I used to live out in Hicksville. 
      and there was not www at the tiiiiiiiiime... ;D

Johnny Bean said:

Funny to read this, if you need rock n roll radio just go to WFMU onlline, www.wfmu.org, the shows, Evan"Funk" Davies, Cherry Blossom Clinic and Music to Spazz By are the probably the greatest rock n roll radio shows ever and I grew up listening to Peel under my bedcovers, he was pretty shit in the last 10 years of his career though, the happy house and Carcass records started to get on my fucking nerves :)

• November 22, 2012 6:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also The Nervebreakers' "Hijack The Radio" is a call to arms worthy of (The later - penned)  Ramones classic. Go to their profile , here , and see. I'm not 13 years old , and don't know how to post songs , here , sorry...... 

• November 22, 2012 6:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , They're based out of New York.

Chris Henniker said:

That's a NY station, isn't it? I'll look that one up.

Johnny Bean said:

Funny to read this, if you need rock n roll radio just go to WFMU onlline, www.wfmu.org, the shows, Evan"Funk" Davies, Cherry Blossom Clinic and Music to Spazz By are the probably the greatest rock n roll radio shows ever and I grew up listening to Peel under my bedcovers, he was pretty shit in the last 10 years of his career though, the happy house and Carcass records started to get on my fucking nerves :)

• November 22, 2012 4:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

That's a NY station, isn't it? I'll look that one up.

Johnny Bean said:

• November 22, 2012 3:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• November 22, 2012 12:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I haven´t heard Radio that much in the past, first because i´ve been "on the road" (by bike) all the time and second because most of the radios (i could listen to) were shitty. 

With few but excellent exceptions... just i need more time to recall.. (i´m getting old!) :D
      coming next...

Good topic, by the way!

• November 18, 2012 5:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You know what , Andy , I forgot about John Peel being there when Oswald (That's who you meant , right? Ruby died in prison.) was shot , but Ruby.....if you see the movie , "Mars Needs Women" or the harder to obtain "Naughty Dallas" , you can see the interior of the post - Jack Ruby Carousel Club in Dallas . There was a Punk Rock club in the 80'S , that I used to go to , and sometimes perform at , just two doors down from where Oswald got it , called The Twiite Room. But , I would never ignore Ireland , Wales and Scotland. For all I know , I could have distant relatives scattered about there , somewhere. Canada is so far to the North (Though it really is'nt.) it does'nt seem like we have THAT much of a relationship with them.    I watched both DVDs of "Nardwuar - DootDoola Doot Doot" this weekend , so I did my bit to rectify the situation.            

Andy Climax said:

Yep! He was in the room when Ruby got shot! Defo in the right place at the right time, from a historical and journalistic angle. Sorry to be pedantic here john, but..... We have England (and yer all welcome to it), but we also have Scotland, Wales and Ireland (North and South) We In Scotland respected the great man as well. We're the noisy neighbours to England in the North. A bit like Canada and we also say 'aboot!' haha. Forgot to mention Steve Lamaq as well. He's keepin the spirit of punk and the spirit of the radio real as well. If ya all get a chance to try 6music on line, take it. Don Letts does a great show, and we all know what a legend he is for bringing punk and black roots music together. You're damn right Tresicore. We are all endebted to John Peel. Another man who took the elevator to heaven.

• November 18, 2012 12:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Anyone listen to Resonance FM? I find it too worthy, myself.

• November 18, 2012 11:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep! He was in the room when Ruby got shot! Defo in the right place at the right time, from a historical and journalistic angle. Sorry to be pedantic here john, but..... We have England (and yer all welcome to it), but we also have Scotland, Wales and Ireland (North and South) We In Scotland respected the great man as well. We're the noisy neighbours to England in the North. A bit like Canada and we also say 'aboot!' haha. Forgot to mention Steve Lamaq as well. He's keepin the spirit of punk and the spirit of the radio real as well. If ya all get a chance to try 6music on line, take it. Don Letts does a great show, and we all know what a legend he is for bringing punk and black roots music together. You're damn right Tresicore. We are all endebted to John Peel. Another man who took the elevator to heaven.

• November 17, 2012 8:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Peel is very much respected here in the states , as in England , even though we did'nt have access to his radio programs , just all the fine Peel  Sessions albums (And , of course , there's a plethora of that stuff , on line.). What's humorous is that he got his start in Dallas , Texas. He was in the right place at the right time , and I can't say that for too many people about Dallas , having lived there , myself (And I apologize if that sounds like a JFK joke. It is'nt.).

• November 17, 2012 8:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rest in Peace John Peel, yes!
      I´ve heard to damn good music all my life,
      but you´ve opened so many doors in it!
      I´m so grateful! Thanks!

• November 17, 2012 7:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is a massive John Peel shaped hole walking this land where John Peel once walked. Gideon Coe, Marc Reilly and Tom Ravenscroft are doin a great job filling in where the great man once stood. But...Really? 3 men to do one mans job. John Peel is sorely sorely missed. Alternative music in the Uk is lost and found without this man. There are very few DJ's out there that are defined as much by what they didn't play as by what they did. This may sound very cryptic but he made it simple. 'Here it is.... You don't like it? Try this then!' John Peel R.I.P

• November 17, 2012 3:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DO YOU REMEMBER DJ JOHN PEEL , HOSS ALLEN , MAD MIKE , AND THE REAL DON STEELE?

IT'S THE DAWN , THE DAWN OF THE CENTURY. ROCK'N'ROLL LIES IN THE PENITENTIARY.

DO YOU REMEMBER  JERRY G. , WOLFMAN JACK , AND THE MAD DADDY ?

ROCK 'N' ROLL FANS ARE ON A DEADLY FAST , BUT , THAT DON'T DON'T MEAN ROCK 'N' ROLL AIN'T GONNA LAST.

DO YOU REMEMBER  ALAN FREED , TAKEN DOWN BY DICK CLARK'S GREED ?

ROCK 'N' ROLL WAS MADE FOR ALL , FOR BLACK AND WHITE

KING ALAN SHOWED US ALL THE WAY , THE WAY THAT'S RIGHT.

• November 17, 2012 2:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I love 6 Music, it plays the best stuff I never heard. Shame they don't do a garage show and get Lord Muck or Ixnay Ray to present it, it really would suit their remit. Besides, the bands on here really need the exposure at UK level.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel