Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Radio

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 15, 2012 4:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The greatest medium there's ever been surely. It's fuckin great when you tune in and hear a track or band you haven't heard or thought about in ages. It's played again and it's like the first time you heard'em all over again. Listenin to Gideon Coe on 6Music (BBC alternativeish channel). He just played some Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Haven't listened to'em for years.Now where's ma Sport Fishin' album.

• January 6, 2013 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

When are you lot going to obtain a DAB, satellite and FM licence?

Pete Jackson said:

Hello - might I humbly suggest you give Dandelion Radio a listen? We 're 'inspired by John Peel', voted no. 1 place to find new music by the Louder Than War blog, and official home to John Peel's Festive Fifty. Plus, there's usually some garage, psych and rock n roll on my show every month.

Let me know if you get the chance to listen

www.dandelionradio.com

pete@dandelionradio.com

• December 3, 2012 6:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks for putting that up. I'm listening right now and enjoying it a lot.

Pete Jackson said:

Hello - might I humbly suggest you give Dandelion Radio a listen? We 're 'inspired by John Peel', voted no. 1 place to find new music by the Louder Than War blog, and official home to John Peel's Festive Fifty. Plus, there's usually some garage, psych and rock n roll on my show every month.

www.dandelionradio.com

pete@dandelionradio.com

• December 3, 2012 1:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

www.dandelionradio.com

pete@dandelionradio.com

• December 3, 2012 12:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks, Dave. I was born a bit too late for actual 'personality' DJs, and after all these decades of demographically-programmed media-monopoly pablum on the air, it's a hoot to listen to this.

Mike said:

Dave,

I like listening to old radio shows when I can find them too. Some of the faves I've picked up have been by Hunter Hancock, one of the first if not first white DJs here in LA to play "race" music back in the late 40's & early 50's, as well as some from Mad Daddy Pete Meyers. Here is a real cool one (in my opinion), from upstate New York I believe, by George Hound Dog Lorenz on on WJJL from 1957. It sounds like crap, it's a modern rebroadcast I believe, but is loaded with great R&B and pitter patter between the platters. 

Hound Dog Lorenz - 1957

And here is a link to some of his later 60's shows that sound much better.

Hound Dog Lorenz Shows

Enjoy

• December 3, 2012 10:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dave,

I like listening to old radio shows when I can find them too. Some of the faves I've picked up have been by Hunter Hancock, one of the first if not first white DJs here in LA to play "race" music back in the late 40's & early 50's, as well as some from Mad Daddy Pete Meyers. Here is a real cool one (in my opinion), from upstate New York I believe, by George Hound Dog Lorenz on on WJJL from 1957. It sounds like crap, it's a modern rebroadcast I believe, but is loaded with great R&B and pitter patter between the platters. 

Hound Dog Lorenz - 1957

And here is a link to some of his later 60's shows that sound much better.

Hound Dog Lorenz Shows

Enjoy

• November 30, 2012 4:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I USED TO SEE THOSE AT OSCO. i LIKED THE CARTOON COVERS , BUT , i ONLY HAD A VAGUE UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT HAD HAPPENED IN THE '60s , And , IT WAS ONLY A FEW YEARS EARLIER , FOR ME. I ALSO FIRST SAW "WHO'LL SAVE THE WORLD....THE MIGHTY GROUNDHOGS" LP WITH THE COOL COMIC ART AT OSCO.

• November 30, 2012 4:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Even w/ the Payola scandal, music from '55 'til '67 was loaded w/ super stuff!!

The best DJs alone made listening an experience! Most of us here are too young to have heard 'em. For instance, I came of age in the early 80s, when Empty Vee was starting its rise to ubiquity (but does any self-respecting kid nowadays watch that crap?).

If you can find the Cruisin' series it would be well worth your while. Going from '55 up 'til '71 or so, they take a top DJ of that year and give you ads, songs, and disc-jockey patter. The sleeves were comics depicting that year, illustrated by Dick Royer, and the liner notes  give you news for that year. Really cool...

My fave volume is 1962, from Dallas with Russ 'Weird Beard' Knight (who just passed away). Damn near everything he said rhymed, and he never paused for so much as a breath.

Check it out.

Stuff like the Wailers 'Tall Cool One' made the charts, Tri-state smashes, and regional one-off singles would snowball into minor hits. Good luck finding that today!

{Grouchy Old Man voice} The record industry and the Hippies killed off the cool, and the fun.

• November 25, 2012 6:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

REALLY? NEVER HEARD ABOUT THAT.....Of course , McCartney's real Supergroup was the band on "Run , Devil , Run " and the "Live at The Cavern " DVD - Mick Green , Ian Paice and David Gilmour.....YEAH , THAT'S WHAT I WAS ON ABOUT , WHAT'S NOW CALLED "THE LOST WEEKEND".   Did'nt know about Crystal DEATH going back that far....I knew a guy that just seemed to know a little too much about street drugs and their origins. The only thing he did'nt know , sadly , was how to survive them. 

• November 25, 2012 6:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Crystal Meth goes back to WW1, from what I've heard. I've heard about "The Lost Weekend", when Lennon went out for a year & got pissed. Shame he never got a supergroup going. Even Paul McCartney has one with people from Killing Joke.

John Battles said:

Yeah , it was'nt generally known that "Cold Turkey" was autobiographical for years. I don't think he was into it for that long , but , everyone knows he relocated to L.A. , upon his separation from Yoko , and began drinking heavily with his buds , The Hollywood Vampires -Keith Moon , Mickey Dolenz , Alice Cooper , Ringo Starr and Harry Nilsson , playing Baseball on the side , when they could have formed a band .

I don't know about Lennon being a secret Republican , but, I've heard that , too. Nixon took him a LOT more seriously (As a threat.) than he did Elvis (As a potential ally.).

The closest thing to a Hollywood Vampires band  was probably the makeshift band in Nilsson's "Son of Dracula"( Nilsson with Moon , Bonham , Frampton , and others.).

Did crystal meth even exist in the late 60's? I guess it did , but amphetamine tablets, and other stimulants , were still readily available , on the street , or from pharmacies.

Chris Henniker said:

I heard rumours that Lennon was a secret Republican, which really is weird and hypocritical. I never knew he was an nascent smackhead, slagged off the NY Dolls as "faggots" and acted like "Whispering" Bob Harris in the process. JUst as well it wasn't crystal meth he was getting addicted to, he would have really ruined it for everyone. 

John Battles said:

That's the Hell of it , though. Some people were probably thinking "What's a Millionaire Rock Star doing , getting political on us?" ,when there's no way they could have known , LENNON WAS DESCENDING INTO HEROIN ADDICTION , AND ALLEN KLEIN WAS SIPHONING NEARLY EVERY LAST RED CENT HE OWNED.....Of course (Apple Recording Artists) Badfinger's story was the most tragic of it's time.....Lennon claimed to get it with Glam Rock , telling David Bowie , "It's just Rock'n'Roll with makeup" , then, doing a Bob Harris and calling The New York Dolls "Faggots".  David Johansen let him have it ,with both barrells , " You know that song of his , "Gimme Some Truth'',  where he says , "No short haired yellow bellied son of Tricky Dickie..." , well , he's acting just like Tricky Dickie , as far as I can see!". 

Would Lennon have benefitted from seeing what has happening at CBGB's , Hurrah , Mudd Club , ETC.? Let's ask Keef - "We tried to find John Lennon and get him back into the scene. I MEAN , WHAT THE FUCK IS LENNON DOING , FARMING COWS IN UPSTATE NEW YORK ?!".

Andy Climax said:

Its an amazing track from their debut album. I saw them Support Mudhoney last year and they totally blew me away. Check'em out. John Lennon and his love ins, bed in's etc. A wonderful period of social upheaval and musical diversity the 60's. Y'gotta love it!

Tersicore said:

The story of those Pirate Radios in Britain belongs to the most fascinating in all Radio History to me. I wish i could have heard at one...

Like a lot the song you´ve posted!

Lennonesque love? :D
      Nope!

Andy Climax said:

get a room you lot, haha. Is this a Lennonesque love in here??? In Britain, we had Pirate radio. All the jocks who were anyone in the 60's and 70's cut their teeth there. A boat would be just out of British waters and have international clearance. If you were in the know, you knew the frequencies to listen on. The reception was sketchy at times and sometimes you would have half a record and half fuzz and interference, but we listened. Radio Luxembourg being a particular fave of mine. Then wonderful Auntie Beeb (BBC) thought lets get 'em on board (pardon the pun) and Radio One was born. Then you had Peel or Whisperin' Bob Harris (A total fanny). Peel won by a country mile. After what Harris said live on telly about the Dolls he became an even larger fanny or dare i say it 'A C**T! Peel played everything from Krautrack to Pyche to power pop and everything in between. Admittedly he played some absolute shite but for every show, i would always have a notebook and at least 15 new bands to check out. This was before the internet and downloading, of course, which meant a bus journey to town and a trip to ma fave record shops, Groucho's (stiil living) and Rockpile (now very sadly defunct). Them was the days. Now i can hear a band and within 10 minutes know their entire history, who they've slept with and favourite chocolate bar, and have their entire back catalogue at the push of an 'enter' button. It's taken the whole personality out of music collecting. The days when collecting meant physically speaking face to face with someone. I miss those days, but dem's da breaks. Peel's death was a national catastrophe and even if you think the last 10 were pants it was still better than watchin fuckin' MTV, let's face it. I'm gonna come down off ma soapbox now and get back to 'Rock'n'Roll Radio.' Keep it real and keep it live!

• November 25, 2012 6:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

If OfCOM raided them, it's surely to be on grounds of poor taste. I was equally thinking of third rate New Age stuff. Like Enya, but more bland and cheesier. Then again, some finger in the ear folk music from incompetent buskers, drunken rants from tramps and half-assed attempts at "World Music", only more shit.

John Battles said:

Probably some wretched , psuedo - tribal drek , played on horribly out of tune (Even to MY tin-ear.) acoustic guitars with a rhythmically challenged drum circle . A fertility theme would be in order , I think.....BUT , I THINK THEY DID THAT , ONCE.
       Chris Henniker said:

What really abysmal music would Malcolm, Cressida, Cordelia, Ashley, et al, play?

John Battles said:

Chris , Yeah , Malcolm , that's his name . There you go ,you see it as clearly as I do.For all we know , he was based on Wimpering Boob Harris ! The idea of Malcolmdoing a terrible pirate radio station with unlistenable music , has me laughing, already.

Chris Henniker said:

We still have Pirate radio in London, catering to the rave scene, Afro-Carribean and other ethnic minority sectors of the populaton. Rinse FM became a licenced community station, which is doing very well in publishing the latest dubstep and UK Funky to the masses. Not to mention that it does work with underprivilleged kids in Tower Hamlets, which I wish them the best of luck with. 

The first commercial station in the UK was Capital Radio, which was very diverse. You had Charlie Gillett's world music show, an acclaimed soul and jazz show and a David Rodigan's reggae show. Now it's just a bland top 40 station, owned by the same company who own Heart, XFM (Which was a former pirate station that blanded out too) and Classic FM. Talk about true lack of choice, especially if it's all owned by 3-5 companies. That said, community radio is where the interesting stuff's happening, along with the pirates (at times).

As a Viz reader, the best strip is "The Modern Parents" (anything by John Fardell is brilliant). Yes, Malcolm does look like "Whispering" Bob Harris, and is a complete prick to boot. I've thought a pirate radio station would be a great story for "The Modern Parents", with their wooly mindedness and shoody thinking. Not that anyone would listen to it, because it would be dire. I bet Tarquin would be telling them it's illegal and no one would listen, either because it was boring and poorly concieved, or what they'll say makes them seem deluded.  

John Battles said:

As I understand it , the PIRATE STATIONS WERE TOLERATED AFTER A TIME , BECAUSE THEY WERE'NT OPERATING BY LAND. I WAS SURPRISED TO LEARN THEY LASTED UNTIL 1967 , BUT BRITAIN WAS DOWN ON COMMERCIAL RADIO AND TV FOR SO MANY YEARS.....AND WE THOUGHT IT WAS BAD , HERE , IN THE STATES - 3 MAJOR TV STATIONS  , CHANNEL 11 (USUALLY LOCAL.) , CHANNEL 13 (USUALLY PBS.) AND MAYBE A COUPLE OF UHF STATIONS. WE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN PICKING UP SIGNALS FROM MARS COMPARED TO OUR POOR FRIENDS IN ENGLAND. A SCOTTISH GUY GAVE ME A TAPE OF "THE LAST DAYS OF PIRATE RADIO " , WHICH WAS SURPISINGLY ALL MAINSTREAM STUFF. BUT , THAT WAS ABOUT THE ONLY OUTLET FOR EVEN THAT.  SCREAMING LORD SUTCH TRIED TO GET IN ON THE PIRATE RADIO CRAZE , AND FAILED , BUT , ALWAYS RALLIED FOR COMMERCIAL RADIO IN THE UK. THE POLITICIANS THAT PATTED THEMSELVES ON THE BACK WHEN IT BECAME REALITY DID'NT THANK HIM FOR TAKING A BULLET , SO THEY COULD GIVE THEMSELVES BONUSES. BOB HARRIS......BUGGERING , BUGGERING BOLLOCKS ! FANNY BATTERING HEDGEHOG ! I was just watching that Dolls clip . It's more ironic , his c***y  comment , now , because they looked , acted , and played the part of a Rock'n'Roll band on a mission.      We actually had Pirate Radio in Chicago , once , a few years back. I guested on a special program on Glam Rock. Against my better judgement , the host insisted on playing all of side two from Suzi Quatro's second album , which is GOOD , BUT I'D BROUGHT A SHITLOAD OF HOT WAX FOR HIM TO PLAY........YOU'VE READ , I TRUST , "THE MODERN PARENTS" in Viz comics , Andy? The Dad - Bob Harris !!!!!
      Andy Climax said:

get a room you lot, haha. Is this a Lennonesque love in here??? In Britain, we had Pirate radio. All the jocks who were anyone in the 60's and 70's cut their teeth there. A boat would be just out of British waters and have international clearance. If you were in the know, you knew the frequencies to listen on. The reception was sketchy at times and sometimes you would have half a record and half fuzz and interference, but we listened. Radio Luxembourg being a particular fave of mine. Then wonderful Auntie Beeb (BBC) thought lets get 'em on board (pardon the pun) and Radio One was born. Then you had Peel or Whisperin' Bob Harris (A total fanny). Peel won by a country mile. After what Harris said live on telly about the Dolls he became an even larger fanny or dare i say it 'A C**T! Peel played everything from Krautrack to Pyche to power pop and everything in between. Admittedly he played some absolute shite but for every show, i would always have a notebook and at least 15 new bands to check out. This was before the internet and downloading, of course, which meant a bus journey to town and a trip to ma fave record shops, Groucho's (stiil living) and Rockpile (now very sadly defunct). Them was the days. Now i can hear a band and within 10 minutes know their entire history, who they've slept with and favourite chocolate bar, and have their entire back catalogue at the push of an 'enter' button. It's taken the whole personality out of music collecting. The days when collecting meant physically speaking face to face with someone. I miss those days, but dem's da breaks. Peel's death was a national catastrophe and even if you think the last 10 were pants it was still better than watchin fuckin' MTV, let's face it. I'm gonna come down off ma soapbox now and get back to 'Rock'n'Roll Radio.' Keep it real and keep it live!

• November 25, 2012 5:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , it was'nt generally known that "Cold Turkey" was autobiographical for years. I don't think he was into it for that long , but , everyone knows he relocated to L.A. , upon his separation from Yoko , and began drinking heavily with his buds , The Hollywood Vampires -Keith Moon , Mickey Dolenz , Alice Cooper , Ringo Starr and Harry Nilsson , playing Baseball on the side , when they could have formed a band .

I don't know about Lennon being a secret Republican , but, I've heard that , too. Nixon took him a LOT more seriously (As a threat.) than he did Elvis (As a potential ally.).

The closest thing to a Hollywood Vampires band  was probably the makeshift band in Nilsson's "Son of Dracula"( Nilsson with Moon , Bonham , Frampton , and others.).

Did crystal meth even exist in the late 60's? I guess it did , but amphetamine tablets, and other stimulants , were still readily available , on the street , or from pharmacies.

Chris Henniker said:

I heard rumours that Lennon was a secret Republican, which really is weird and hypocritical. I never knew he was an nascent smackhead, slagged off the NY Dolls as "faggots" and acted like "Whispering" Bob Harris in the process. JUst as well it wasn't crystal meth he was getting addicted to, he would have really ruined it for everyone. 

John Battles said:

That's the Hell of it , though. Some people were probably thinking "What's a Millionaire Rock Star doing , getting political on us?" ,when there's no way they could have known , LENNON WAS DESCENDING INTO HEROIN ADDICTION , AND ALLEN KLEIN WAS SIPHONING NEARLY EVERY LAST RED CENT HE OWNED.....Of course (Apple Recording Artists) Badfinger's story was the most tragic of it's time.....Lennon claimed to get it with Glam Rock , telling David Bowie , "It's just Rock'n'Roll with makeup" , then, doing a Bob Harris and calling The New York Dolls "Faggots".  David Johansen let him have it ,with both barrells , " You know that song of his , "Gimme Some Truth'',  where he says , "No short haired yellow bellied son of Tricky Dickie..." , well , he's acting just like Tricky Dickie , as far as I can see!". 

Would Lennon have benefitted from seeing what has happening at CBGB's , Hurrah , Mudd Club , ETC.? Let's ask Keef - "We tried to find John Lennon and get him back into the scene. I MEAN , WHAT THE FUCK IS LENNON DOING , FARMING COWS IN UPSTATE NEW YORK ?!".

Andy Climax said:

Its an amazing track from their debut album. I saw them Support Mudhoney last year and they totally blew me away. Check'em out. John Lennon and his love ins, bed in's etc. A wonderful period of social upheaval and musical diversity the 60's. Y'gotta love it!

Tersicore said:

The story of those Pirate Radios in Britain belongs to the most fascinating in all Radio History to me. I wish i could have heard at one...

Nope!

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 5:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Probably some wretched , psuedo - tribal drek , played on horribly out of tune (Even to MY tin-ear.) acoustic guitars with a rhythmically challenged drum circle . A fertility theme would be in order , I think.....BUT , I THINK THEY DID THAT , ONCE.
       Chris Henniker said:

What really abysmal music would Malcolm, Cressida, Cordelia, Ashley, et al, play?

John Battles said:

Chris , Yeah , Malcolm , that's his name . There you go ,you see it as clearly as I do.For all we know , he was based on Wimpering Boob Harris ! The idea of Malcolmdoing a terrible pirate radio station with unlistenable music , has me laughing, already.

Chris Henniker said:

We still have Pirate radio in London, catering to the rave scene, Afro-Carribean and other ethnic minority sectors of the populaton. Rinse FM became a licenced community station, which is doing very well in publishing the latest dubstep and UK Funky to the masses. Not to mention that it does work with underprivilleged kids in Tower Hamlets, which I wish them the best of luck with. 

The first commercial station in the UK was Capital Radio, which was very diverse. You had Charlie Gillett's world music show, an acclaimed soul and jazz show and a David Rodigan's reggae show. Now it's just a bland top 40 station, owned by the same company who own Heart, XFM (Which was a former pirate station that blanded out too) and Classic FM. Talk about true lack of choice, especially if it's all owned by 3-5 companies. That said, community radio is where the interesting stuff's happening, along with the pirates (at times).

As a Viz reader, the best strip is "The Modern Parents" (anything by John Fardell is brilliant). Yes, Malcolm does look like "Whispering" Bob Harris, and is a complete prick to boot. I've thought a pirate radio station would be a great story for "The Modern Parents", with their wooly mindedness and shoody thinking. Not that anyone would listen to it, because it would be dire. I bet Tarquin would be telling them it's illegal and no one would listen, either because it was boring and poorly concieved, or what they'll say makes them seem deluded.  

John Battles said:

As I understand it , the PIRATE STATIONS WERE TOLERATED AFTER A TIME , BECAUSE THEY WERE'NT OPERATING BY LAND. I WAS SURPRISED TO LEARN THEY LASTED UNTIL 1967 , BUT BRITAIN WAS DOWN ON COMMERCIAL RADIO AND TV FOR SO MANY YEARS.....AND WE THOUGHT IT WAS BAD , HERE , IN THE STATES - 3 MAJOR TV STATIONS  , CHANNEL 11 (USUALLY LOCAL.) , CHANNEL 13 (USUALLY PBS.) AND MAYBE A COUPLE OF UHF STATIONS. WE MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN PICKING UP SIGNALS FROM MARS COMPARED TO OUR POOR FRIENDS IN ENGLAND. A SCOTTISH GUY GAVE ME A TAPE OF "THE LAST DAYS OF PIRATE RADIO " , WHICH WAS SURPISINGLY ALL MAINSTREAM STUFF. BUT , THAT WAS ABOUT THE ONLY OUTLET FOR EVEN THAT.  SCREAMING LORD SUTCH TRIED TO GET IN ON THE PIRATE RADIO CRAZE , AND FAILED , BUT , ALWAYS RALLIED FOR COMMERCIAL RADIO IN THE UK. THE POLITICIANS THAT PATTED THEMSELVES ON THE BACK WHEN IT BECAME REALITY DID'NT THANK HIM FOR TAKING A BULLET , SO THEY COULD GIVE THEMSELVES BONUSES. BOB HARRIS......BUGGERING , BUGGERING BOLLOCKS ! FANNY BATTERING HEDGEHOG ! I was just watching that Dolls clip . It's more ironic , his c***y  comment , now , because they looked , acted , and played the part of a Rock'n'Roll band on a mission.      We actually had Pirate Radio in Chicago , once , a few years back. I guested on a special program on Glam Rock. Against my better judgement , the host insisted on playing all of side two from Suzi Quatro's second album , which is GOOD , BUT I'D BROUGHT A SHITLOAD OF HOT WAX FOR HIM TO PLAY........YOU'VE READ , I TRUST , "THE MODERN PARENTS" in Viz comics , Andy? The Dad - Bob Harris !!!!!
      Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 4:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

Tersicore said:

Nope!

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 3:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

Tersicore said:

Nope!

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 2:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tersicore said:

Nope!

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 2:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• November 25, 2012 2:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• November 24, 2012 10:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

• November 24, 2012 8:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cheers the reason I ask Is cos I'm making a doco on S. Australian underground rock, garage n punk inspired bands over the last thirty years. This Station (threedradio) since 78 has been a major support and I'm claiming in the doco that there's nothing quite like it in the world. wondering if someone can prove me wrong. they are streaming
      too since last year. there's at least 100 different shows. from local pub rock, garage, jazz, punk, prog, toilet rock as well as international independent stuff, you can even send your music to them.
    • November 24, 2012 8:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sadly, I've not heard of anything like that around where I live. It'd be great to get something like that around Arkansas, but the closest we have is 'College Radio' and even they have to follow a certain format to keep their funding. I think it's "this hour we'll play droning NPR commentary... this hour we'll play classical in case someone gives a damn, and then for an hour we'll let the students play some decent stuff." Lather, rinse, repeat. lol

MEAT TRAY said:

hi guys, wanna ask if you know of any other community radio station in the world that is comparable to Adelaide's "Three d radio" in S. Australia who plays so much local music, in fact around 70% lical, covering all genre's and other obscure stuff. Its run completely by volunteers, So here in Adelaide if your in a band your music WILL definitely be played on air many times and every single day of the year we listen to all our friends bands on air too. FM radio. 93.7. it's been like this for over 30 years and has created an incredible music community. Is this a unique situation? 3d has around 50,000 listeners, the station relies soley on voluntary subscriptions of $40 $50 a year. does anyone know anywhere that supports their local independent music a this type of level?
    • November 24, 2012 7:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the heads-up. The radio situation in my part of the country is for shit, with 2 corporations having 99% of the market and playing demographically charted soulless corporate crap. Thank the Gawdz for the internet!!!

John Battles said:

Yeah , They're based out of New York.

Chris Henniker said:

That's a NY station, isn't it? I'll look that one up.

Johnny Bean said:

Funny to read this, if you need rock n roll radio just go to WFMU onlline, www.wfmu.org, the shows, Evan"Funk" Davies, Cherry Blossom Clinic and Music to Spazz By are the probably the greatest rock n roll radio shows ever and I grew up listening to Peel under my bedcovers, he was pretty shit in the last 10 years of his career though, the happy house and Carcass records started to get on my fucking nerves :)

• November 24, 2012 7:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hi guys, wanna ask if you know of any other community radio station in the world that is comparable to Adelaide's "Three d radio" in S. Australia who plays so much local music, in fact around 70% lical, covering all genre's and other obscure stuff. Its run completely by volunteers, So here in Adelaide if your in a band your music WILL definitely be played on air many times and every single day of the year we listen to all our friends bands on air too. FM radio. 93.7. it's been like this for over 30 years and has created an incredible music community. Is this a unique situation? 3d has around 50,000 listeners, the station relies soley on voluntary subscriptions of $40 $50 a year. does anyone know anywhere that supports their local independent music a this type of level?
    • November 24, 2012 7:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to live in Hicksville, too. At least as far as what you heard on the radio. It took 6 month from me hearing AC/DC (elsewhere) and them being on the radio here. And it took til the 90s before you ever heard so much as the Ramones or the Dead Milkmen. I had to hear about the Ramones in a skateboard mag, then get a record store to order me 'Road to Ruin'.

Tersicore said:

Hey!! Get alive! I´m talking about the Paaaaaaaaast! 
       I´m just at the beginning of my story! I used to live out in Hicksville. 
      and there was not www at the tiiiiiiiiime... ;D

Johnny Bean said:

Funny to read this, if you need rock n roll radio just go to WFMU onlline, www.wfmu.org, the shows, Evan"Funk" Davies, Cherry Blossom Clinic and Music to Spazz By are the probably the greatest rock n roll radio shows ever and I grew up listening to Peel under my bedcovers, he was pretty shit in the last 10 years of his career though, the happy house and Carcass records started to get on my fucking nerves :)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel