Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Who would you like to put in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 20, 2013 4:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I forgot about the Wildcards ...

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (sorry, but Prog Rock IS drastically underrepresented in there ... it's a far cry from Garage, but it's still a kind of "Rock & Roll," at least peripherally, so ELP and King Crimson gotta be more reasonable choices than Mad Donna or Public Enema)

BE BOP DELUXE (probably the most criminally underrated band of the 70s)

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (Alice is in there already, but pretty much as a solo act ... the original 1969 to 1974 line-up -- Bruce, Buxton, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith -- deserves its own separate induction) 

THE DICKIES

WENDY O. WILLIAMS & THE PLASMATICS

• January 20, 2013 3:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND (Van Vliet was a genius, and every incarnation of the Magic Band was brilliant in a different way)

THE ELASTIK BAND (for Spazz alone they deserve a consideration)

THE PENGUINS

THE KINGSMEN

T. REX

DEEP PURPLE

BLUE OYSTER CULT

FOGHAT

NIRVANA (for Negative Creep if nothing else)

RICHARD O'BRIEN (The Time Warp -- nuff said)

There are many other artists that I think should also be in there (ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Brian Eno, America, et.al) but I didn't want to veer too far away from the punk/garage/blues-rock theme we have going.

• January 19, 2013 3:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Richard Berry

Johnny "Guitar" Watson

The 5 Royales
    • December 17, 2012 2:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NO TWO PEOPLE , IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC , ARE GOING TO AGREE ON EVERYTHING , IT'S TRUE.     THERE HAVE GOT TO BE A LOT OF  PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK THE RAMONES SHOULD HAVE BEEN INDUCTED , NOR THE STOOGES , NOR THE SEX PISTOLS , WHO , OF COURSE , TOLD THEM WHERE THEY COULD PUT IT..... BUT , THERE ARE STILL INFLUENTIAL , AS WELL AS RECORD - SELLING , ACTS FROM THE 50's TO THE LATE 70'S THAT ARE'NT IN THE HALL OF INJUSTICE , WHILE THE LEAST ROCK'N'ROLL OF 'EM ARE.  AT LEAST , THE MOODY BLUES STARTED LIFE DOING R'n'B , AND MADE SOME GOOD RECORDS , THOUGH , IF THEY NEVER GOT INDUCTED (BUT , THEY WILL), I'LL SLEEP LIKE A BABY . IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THE DOOBIES ARE'NT IN THE HALL , ALREADY , AS THEY SEEM TO REPRESENT THE THINGS THE NOMINATING BOARD AGREES ON. I'D BE VERY SURPRISED IF BOTH BANDS WERE'NT INDUCTED IN 5 TO 10 YEARS.

• December 16, 2012 12:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I said "no two people would agree," I meant the general public, not just the nominating board.
      There are people who think the Ramones shouldn't be in, simply for being a fringey punk rock band that never gets played on the radio. And all the while, they're pissed because the Moody Blues or the Doobie Brothers aren't in.
      That's what I meant. By the seventies, rock was split up into too many separate factions for everybody to agree on everything.

John Battles said:

THAT'S THE DEAL , THO' , THEY SEEM TO AGREE ON CRAP........AND , to wait until key members of CERTAIN BANDS ARE DEAD BEFORE THEY START TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY - THE RAMONES , THE CLASH , THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.....I'm wondering how many members of Paul Revere and The Raiders have to kick it before they get nominated. Yes , we've been told the suits were silly , as if the suits played , but , hey . Lady Gaga has worn some silly outfits , and she'll be in when her time comes. Madonna wore a WHOLE lot of silly outfits , and has got the Rock like John Holmes had a nub , but , there she is !The Spice Girls and The Boy Bandswill be in , in a few years , too. Every Rock artist of worth , and that actually sold a shitload of records (Which should'nt always be the prerequisite.) , has'nt been nominated.

• December 15, 2012 8:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

That's true, you can over-broaden your definition. Why are they overbroadening the definition? Is it populism or an attempt to keep it relevant that's misguided? 

To any hip-hop fans stumbling upon this by chance, get the campaign going to start a hip-hop hall of fame. You need one!

John Battles said:

...DID'NT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU WITH SUCH UNSETTLING THOUGHTS , THO' IT IS DISGUSTING  , THAT IS THE DIRECTION THEY SEEM TO BE GOING. WHEN RAP AND HIP HOP ACTS ARE IN THE HALL , AND LINK WRAY MAY NEVER BE IN IT , THERE HAS TO BE SUCH A THING AS OVER - BROADENING YOUR DEFINITION OF ROCK'N'ROLL , OR EVEN IN IT'S PROGENITORS AND DIRECT MUSICAL DESCENDANTS. MILT TRENIER IS PUSHING 85 , AND HE'S STILL TRYING TO GET THE TRENIERS IN THE HALL . THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE YEARS. BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ROCK'N'ROLL - AS ROCKIN' AS IT GETS - THEY WON'T BE ACKNOWLEDGED BY THE HALL. I HOPE I'M WRONG, BUT , I DON'T THINK SO.  IT'S LIKE SAYING ALAN FREED WOULD HAVE BEEN HANGING OUT WITH MADONNA OR FLAVOR FLAV , IF THEY'D LIVED IN HIS TIME.

• December 15, 2012 7:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...DID'NT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU WITH SUCH UNSETTLING THOUGHTS , THO' IT IS DISGUSTING  , THAT IS THE DIRECTION THEY SEEM TO BE GOING. WHEN RAP AND HIP HOP ACTS ARE IN THE HALL , AND LINK WRAY MAY NEVER BE IN IT , THERE HAS TO BE SUCH A THING AS OVER - BROADENING YOUR DEFINITION OF ROCK'N'ROLL , OR EVEN IN IT'S PROGENITORS AND DIRECT MUSICAL DESCENDANTS. MILT TRENIER IS PUSHING 85 , AND HE'S STILL TRYING TO GET THE TRENIERS IN THE HALL . THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE YEARS. BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ROCK'N'ROLL - AS ROCKIN' AS IT GETS - THEY WON'T BE ACKNOWLEDGED BY THE HALL. I HOPE I'M WRONG, BUT , I DON'T THINK SO.  IT'S LIKE SAYING ALAN FREED WOULD HAVE BEEN HANGING OUT WITH MADONNA OR FLAVOR FLAV , IF THEY'D LIVED IN HIS TIME.

• December 15, 2012 5:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

The thought of boy bands in there make me want to spew. I can't imagine Take That rubbing shoulders with Link Wray or The Velvet Underground, most of their surburban/sink estate housewife fans wouldn't know who they were. When I heard Steps split up, I cheered. I even cheered when Take That split up too, which I thought was the best thing the ever did.

John Battles said:

THAT'S THE DEAL , THO' , THEY SEEM TO AGREE ON CRAP........AND , to wait until key members of CERTAIN BANDS ARE DEAD BEFORE THEY START TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY - THE RAMONES , THE CLASH , THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.....I'm wondering how many members of Paul Revere and The Raiders have to kick it before they get nominated. Yes , we've been told the suits were silly , as if the suits played , but , hey . Lady Gaga has worn some silly outfits , and she'll be in when her time comes. Madonna wore a WHOLE lot of silly outfits , and has got the Rock like John Holmes had a nub , but , there she is !The Spice Girls and The Boy Bandswill be in , in a few years , too. Every Rock artist of worth , and that actually sold a shitload of records (Which should'nt always be the prerequisite.) , has'nt been nominated.

• December 15, 2012 5:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 15, 2012 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always knew that as soon as the 70s became eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, no two people would agree on who gets in. When it was just the fifties and sixties, there wasn't that much debate on the inductees. It was more a case of who got left out.

After 1970 or so, there were so many genres and subgenres that they damn near required their own store, let alone category. And even though some critics like to see rock as one big ole diverse family, some of the performers themselves wondered why they were being lumped in with rock music.  

Ah, fuck - callitwhatchawanna.

• December 15, 2012 4:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, Sun Ra did some fine rock & roll/R&B tracks, usually backing up other people.

• December 15, 2012 4:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Didn't Sun Ra contribute to Rock'n'Roll? Howie Pyro did a really good issue of Intoxica with his stuff in, which was Jump Blues, R&B, etc. I loved listening to that on the way to college.

James Porter said:

Most of those 1950s honkin' sax guys like Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston, Bull Moose Jackson, etc., had some kind of jazz background. Matter of fact, you could say that about most of the jump-blues crew.

Chris Henniker said:

It really needs streamlining, with more country artists who contributed, for starters, and fewer of the populist inductees like Madonna. What did she contribute to rock'n'roll anyway? They really need to purge people put in for spurious reasons like unit sales and put some real rock'n'roll in.

Just out of curiousity, what Jazz musicians contributed to rock'n'roll's genesis? 

• December 15, 2012 3:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most of those 1950s honkin' sax guys like Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston, Bull Moose Jackson, etc., had some kind of jazz background. Matter of fact, you could say that about most of the jump-blues crew.

Chris Henniker said:

It really needs streamlining, with more country artists who contributed, for starters, and fewer of the populist inductees like Madonna. What did she contribute to rock'n'roll anyway? They really need to purge people put in for spurious reasons like unit sales and put some real rock'n'roll in.

Just out of curiousity, what Jazz musicians contributed to rock'n'roll's genesis? 

• December 14, 2012 6:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEAH !!! James Porter and I were lucky in that we had many chances to see Honeyboy Edwards , and he NEVER failed , not even well into his 90's.

Chris Henniker said:

I can't disagree with you on that, I could listen to them all day.

John Battles said:

ROBERT JOHNSON , BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON , MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT , DAVE "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS , SON HOUSE , LEADBELLY , LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS , MANCE LIPSCOMB , AND A MILLION OTHERS ONLY MY UBER - GEEKASS COLLECTOR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT.

• December 14, 2012 3:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I can't disagree with you on that, I could listen to them all day.

John Battles said:

ROBERT JOHNSON , BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON , MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT , DAVE "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS , SON HOUSE , LEADBELLY , LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS , MANCE LIPSCOMB , AND A MILLION OTHERS ONLY MY UBER - GEEKASS COLLECTOR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT.

• December 13, 2012 8:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 13, 2012 2:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

His story just reeks of rock'n'roll. What an amazing journey, and yes, he died before he got old. Outstanding contribution. In fact any hall of fame from rock to blues would have Robert Johnson in it. so profound was his influence

• December 13, 2012 2:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He must be in there , by now.....Even if the judges , themselves , don't listen to him , but , I've still never seen an up to date list of who's in there , now. It may be a little too depressing.

Andy Climax said:

Has anyone mentioned Robert Johnson yet? Surely the gawdfather of all we listen to??? Hope not too controversial. If anyone has mentioned him.... Well done!

• December 13, 2012 9:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I know they're trying to keep up with trends, but shouldn't they be looking for something that hasn't dated?

Stoned Again Productions said:

A disco/pop queen, and a hip hop group inducted ? R&R Hall of fame has made up their own definition of rock & roll over the years. Go figure ?

• December 13, 2012 7:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A disco/pop queen, and a hip hop group inducted ? R&R Hall of fame has made up their own definition of rock & roll over the years. Go figure ?

• December 1, 2012 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

I agree , a Hip Hop Hall of Fame would be the ticket....I have'nt seen the complete list , but , there's so many non - Rock'n'Roll artists. Woodie Guthrie's in there. That's cool , but is Leadbelly? Are Jimmy Rogers or Gene Autry in there for being the first (Known) White Country singers to incorporate Blues in their repertoirre , back in the 20'S.   I'm sure George Jones , as well as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams , is in there. But , what of Buck Owens , Hank Thompson , Bob Wills ,Tennessee Ernie Ford? They brought the Rock. OK , they've got a Country Music Hall of Fame, but so many Country artist were crucial in the evolution of Rock'n'ROLL.....I can't say Rap did the same thing......From RAp ANDhIP hOP , WE GET KORN , BEASTIE BOYS, Eminem , Kid Rock.....yeesh.  Also Louis Prima should be there ,if he is'nt (I doubt he is.) aalong with THE TRENIERS , only the first real Rock'n'Roll band , Wynonie Harris , Roy Brown , Amos Milburn..........

• December 1, 2012 10:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Has anyone mentioned Robert Johnson yet? Surely the gawdfather of all we listen to??? Hope not too controversial. If anyone has mentioned him.... Well done!

• December 1, 2012 5:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree , a Hip Hop Hall of Fame would be the ticket....I have'nt seen the complete list , but , there's so many non - Rock'n'Roll artists. Woodie Guthrie's in there. That's cool , but is Leadbelly? Are Jimmy Rogers or Gene Autry in there for being the first (Known) White Country singers to incorporate Blues in their repertoirre , back in the 20'S.   I'm sure George Jones , as well as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams , is in there. But , what of Buck Owens , Hank Thompson , Bob Wills ,Tennessee Ernie Ford? They brought the Rock. OK , they've got a Country Music Hall of Fame, but so many Country artist were crucial in the evolution of Rock'n'ROLL.....I can't say Rap did the same thing......From RAp ANDhIP hOP , WE GET KORN , BEASTIE BOYS, Eminem , Kid Rock.....yeesh.  Also Louis Prima should be there ,if he is'nt (I doubt he is.) aalong with THE TRENIERS , only the first real Rock'n'Roll band , Wynonie Harris , Roy Brown , Amos Milburn..........

• November 30, 2012 6:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Shame they shut the fans out, as they made the band who they are. It begs the question of how they choose their nominations and inductees. Inducting NWA or Public Enemy has an element of mission creep, which I think a hip-hop hall of fame could rectify. The Genre's big enough in size and popularity to warrant it.

I'd rather see GG Allin, The Smiths, The Sonics or The Cramps in there.

John Battles said:

Meters , I don't listen to much , but , I can respect the idea, tho' there's a lot more acts to consider before you get to them.....KRAFTWERK? I like 'em , to a point , but , they have WHAT to do with Rock'n'Roll ? I'd say Suicide and Silver Apples have more to do  with it......

The thing , too , is that Kraftwerk's had more influence on Hip Hop than R'n'R.

Yeah , NWA and Public Enemy , I don't get that at all. Believe me , I caught some grief for openly admitting I did'nt like Rap or Hip Hop. I have to hear it EVERY DAY , except days when I stay inside.  I don't make anyone listen to Rock'n'Roll , or Blues , or Country , or whatwever has real instruments and people at least trying to sing......

I can get behind Albert King and Deep Purple . Others , I don't hate , but , could'nt get behind. As if we have a voice.

• November 30, 2012 5:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Meters , I don't listen to much , but , I can respect the idea, tho' there's a lot more acts to consider before you get to them.....KRAFTWERK? I like 'em , to a point , but , they have WHAT to do with Rock'n'Roll ? I'd say Suicide and Silver Apples have more to do  with it......

The thing , too , is that Kraftwerk's had more influence on Hip Hop than R'n'R.

Yeah , NWA and Public Enemy , I don't get that at all. Believe me , I caught some grief for openly admitting I did'nt like Rap or Hip Hop. I have to hear it EVERY DAY , except days when I stay inside.  I don't make anyone listen to Rock'n'Roll , or Blues , or Country , or whatwever has real instruments and people at least trying to sing......

I can get behind Albert King and Deep Purple . Others , I don't hate , but , could'nt get behind. As if we have a voice.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel