Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Who would you like to put in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 19, 2012 3:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

As we know, it's almost that time of year again when the RRHoF inducts new members. The worst decision I can think of was admitting Madonna in the RRHoF, as she's just cruise ship fodder at worst and good cabaret at best. I bet all of us could do better, nominating real rock'n'roll bands who were more underated or something. I agree with this paragraph from the Wikipedia entry entirely: 

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has garnered criticism for allegedly allowing the nomination process to be controlled by a few individuals,[4] nominating too many artists in too many genres that are not entirely rock,[5] ignoring entire rock genres,[6] and using technicalities to induct groups who may not have been among the top vote getters.[7]"

They've overlooked Garage, freakbeat, power pop and psychobilly. If you can nominate 10 bands/solo artists/producers/sidemen and up to five wild cards, who would you go for and why? Just for fun, let's get the ball rolling with a few nominations of my own:

1. Link Wray (Rumble was the great instrumental)
      2. Dick Dale
      3. The Monks (just for their weirdness)
      4. The Sonics
      5. Billy Childish (for his inspiration to grass roots bands everywhere, but also his commitment to real rock'n'roll!)
      6. The Cramps
      7. Joe Meek
      8. Morrisey & The Smiths
      9. The 13th Floor Elevators (for inventing psychedelia)
      10. MC5

Wild cards:

1. Cliff Richard (First R&B/rock'n'roll recorded outside the US)
      2. The Jam
      3. Ros Sereysothea (For she was the Golden Voice)
      4. Sinn Sisamouth
      5. Takashi Terauchi

Who are your ten?

• January 24, 2013 8:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well said. Come on ,Tarquin ! Let's go see a Horror picture! I hate when mum and Da fight like this!!
      Yeh , Da's just pissed off cos mum keeps calling him Whistling Bill Smith!
      Chris Henniker said:

It's a shame that the backing band gets left in the lurch, for their contribution gets overlooked. Especially when a big name is inducted, like Gene Vincent. I bet the committee is just a load of vested interests on the verge of a punch-up, like The Modern Parents are when organising a peace gathering.
    • January 24, 2013 5:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

But , they refused to accept the induction. Good on ya , lads.

Joey Ramone's Mom and Brother were'nt even given his award , so it was presented to them in a private ceremony YEARS later.

Ted said:

Sex Pistols have been inducted...I think they were inducted in 2005 or 2006 I believe.

Andy Climax said:

Syd Barrett, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders and John Peel, Dick Dale, Bo Diddley, Sex Pistols, King Kurt, Robert Johnson for starters thanks..... Oh and a Lux Interior waxwork at the Glittery curtained entrance, welcoming everyone in.

• January 24, 2013 9:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The 2013 inductees are disgusting. Albert King and Rush are the only ones worthy out of all the ones they chose.

My list in no particular order:

1.New York Dolls

2.Johnny Thunders

3.Bo Diddley

4.Link Wray

5.Dick Dale

6.Motorhead

7.Joy Division

8.Bauhaus

9.The Cramps

10.Nine Inch Nails

• January 24, 2013 9:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sex Pistols have been inducted...I think they were inducted in 2005 or 2006 I believe.

Andy Climax said:

Syd Barrett, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders and John Peel, Dick Dale, Bo Diddley, Sex Pistols, King Kurt, Robert Johnson for starters thanks..... Oh and a Lux Interior waxwork at the Glittery curtained entrance, welcoming everyone in.

• January 24, 2013 2:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It's a shame that the backing band gets left in the lurch, for their contribution gets overlooked. Especially when a big name is inducted, like Gene Vincent. I bet the committee is just a load of vested interests on the verge of a punch-up, like The Modern Parents are when organising a peace gathering.
    • January 23, 2013 7:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They usually make a separate place on the ballot if an Artist AND their backing band  are synonymous with each other. That means if someone is better known for their solo work , their still well - known backing band may get left in the lurch.

When Gene Vincent finally got inducted , The Blue Caps were not afforded the same honor. Regardless , Blue Caps Guitarist , Johnny Meeks , went to attend the ceremony , and , I read , was told he'd have to pay $100 to do so. Today , of course , you'd need $100 to stand across the street.  

ted cogswell said:

I'm pretty sure the induction covers both the work of the original group as well as the solo career under the same name. Members inducted according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website are: Alice Cooper (vocals; born February 4, 1948), Glen Buxton (guitar; born November 10, 1947, died October 18, 1997), Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards; born March 16, 1948), Dennis Dunaway (bass; born December 9, 1948), Neal Smith (drums; born September 23, 1947). http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

• January 23, 2013 7:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I ALMOST FORGOT , AMAZING BOC/MC5 STORY.....I WONDER IF THAT'S WHY BLUE OYSTER CULT RECORDED THEIR CENSORED VERSION OF "KICK OUT THE JAMS",  AS SOME KIND OF SETTLEMENT?   I GUESS NOT. SORRY. I'VE BEEN WATCHING "BOARDWALK EMPIRE".

John Battles said:

B.B. (On Mars?) , Yeah , I've heard of this band , Blue Coupe . Back in the "It was'nt Broke , why Fix it?"Golden Age of My Space , I got in touch with Dunaway , very briefly , because I was playing at this cool Bowling Alley Barin Chicago the same night the ACG was doing their second reunion show in Phoenix....I re-wrecked "Guttercat Vs. The Jets" as "Gutterball Cat Vs.The Dank Haus Jets" (The Dank Haus being the German SOCIAL cENTER IN CHICAGO.)  . HE MESSAGED ME BACK , SAYING , "YEAH , I HEAR YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DANK HAUS JETS !".
       He looks incredibly well for his age , and he actually pulls off that short , spiky hair look , too.
      B.B. Fultz said:

Hey John, are you familiar with Blue Coupe? They're not very well known -- basically they're the Bouchard brothers Al and Joe, from the original Blue Oyster Cult, plus bassist Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group. I saw them at a local record store a couple years ago -- they alternated between BOC and old Cooper songs. They played the old classics raw and dirty, and everything they did sounded awesome. Somehow they actually pulled off "Black Juju" with just three guys and it still kicked all kinds of ass. If you get a chance, check them out. http://www.bluecoupeband.com/ There's also a few vids of them on YouTube lately.

They're really cool guys. By a stroke of luck the record store manager was an old friend, and he let me in early so I got to hang out with them and hear band stories. The Bouchards told me about how Alan Lanier was semi-hooked up with Patti Smith (who collaborated with them on Agents of Fortune). And when Patti ran off to go with Fred Sonic Smith, Lanier followed her, allegedly planning to threaten Fred with a gun. Unfortunately Lanier forgot you can't take guns through the airport so he was detained there and BOC had to go get him out. Dennis Dunaway told me about the Alice Cooper group aka Nazz back in the 60s, and how they all wanted to be the Beatles, or failing that, the Yardbirds. He even told me a little about the infamous "mudshark incident" documented by Zappa, allegedly involving Vanilla Fudge. Then singed my Pretties For You LP. There was more stuff that I'm forgetting now, but I do remember they were a blast to hang out with. Definitely one of the more memorable nights of my life.

• January 23, 2013 6:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

B.B. (On Mars?) , Yeah , I've heard of this band , Blue Coupe . Back in the "It was'nt Broke , why Fix it?"Golden Age of My Space , I got in touch with Dunaway , very briefly , because I was playing at this cool Bowling Alley Barin Chicago the same night the ACG was doing their second reunion show in Phoenix....I re-wrecked "Guttercat Vs. The Jets" as "Gutterball Cat Vs.The Dank Haus Jets" (The Dank Haus being the German SOCIAL cENTER IN CHICAGO.)  . HE MESSAGED ME BACK , SAYING , "YEAH , I HEAR YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DANK HAUS JETS !".
       He looks incredibly well for his age , and he actually pulls off that short , spiky hair look , too.
      B.B. Fultz said:

Hey John, are you familiar with Blue Coupe? They're not very well known -- basically they're the Bouchard brothers Al and Joe, from the original Blue Oyster Cult, plus bassist Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group. I saw them at a local record store a couple years ago -- they alternated between BOC and old Cooper songs. They played the old classics raw and dirty, and everything they did sounded awesome. Somehow they actually pulled off "Black Juju" with just three guys and it still kicked all kinds of ass. If you get a chance, check them out. http://www.bluecoupeband.com/ There's also a few vids of them on YouTube lately.

They're really cool guys. By a stroke of luck the record store manager was an old friend, and he let me in early so I got to hang out with them and hear band stories. The Bouchards told me about how Alan Lanier was semi-hooked up with Patti Smith (who collaborated with them on Agents of Fortune). And when Patti ran off to go with Fred Sonic Smith, Lanier followed her, allegedly planning to threaten Fred with a gun. Unfortunately Lanier forgot you can't take guns through the airport so he was detained there and BOC had to go get him out. Dennis Dunaway told me about the Alice Cooper group aka Nazz back in the 60s, and how they all wanted to be the Beatles, or failing that, the Yardbirds. He even told me a little about the infamous "mudshark incident" documented by Zappa, allegedly involving Vanilla Fudge. Then singed my Pretties For You LP. There was more stuff that I'm forgetting now, but I do remember they were a blast to hang out with. Definitely one of the more memorable nights of my life.

• January 23, 2013 5:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I can see why the Hall of Fame is controversial: no two people can think alike and agree on anything about what goes in. Anyone keeping their ears to the ground for inductees?
    • January 23, 2013 4:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would agree too!

Chris Henniker said:

I'd definitely agree with that, Tim.

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

I can think of two who should be in: The Yardbirds and the New York Dolls. Oh, and the Pretty Things.

• January 23, 2013 4:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah I see what you mean. Detroit proto-punk + horror show thematics.   

• January 22, 2013 1:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I do think Alice Cooper should be inducted in the RRHOF, for the simple reason that he is the missing link between The MC5 and Sabbath or TheMisfits.
    • January 22, 2013 2:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool, thanks for the link. I don't know where I heard it was just Cooper himself. I'm glad they all made it in. It's also nice that the induction is allowed to cover both the man Alice Cooper and the band Alice Cooper. It's good to know that in between inducting Madonna and not inducting Beefheart, they actually managed to do something right, haha.

ted cogswell said:

I'm pretty sure the induction covers both the work of the original group as well as the solo career under the same name. Members inducted according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website are: Alice Cooper (vocals; born February 4, 1948), Glen Buxton (guitar; born November 10, 1947, died October 18, 1997), Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards; born March 16, 1948), Dennis Dunaway (bass; born December 9, 1948), Neal Smith (drums; born September 23, 1947). http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

• January 22, 2013 2:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 22, 2013 1:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I didn't realize that. That's very cool. They deserve to be in there.

I could maybe see inducting Vincent Furnier too, for his solo career, which had its moments ... but Vince & the original band definitely deserve it more than Vince on his own. It's awesome they got in.

ted cogswell said:

The original Alice Cooper group was inducted, not just Vince. 

B.B. Fultz said:

I forgot about the Wildcards ...

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (sorry, but Prog Rock IS drastically underrepresented in there ... it's a far cry from Garage, but it's still a kind of "Rock & Roll," at least peripherally, so ELP and King Crimson gotta be more reasonable choices than Mad Donna or Public Enema)

BE BOP DELUXE (probably the most criminally underrated band of the 70s)

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (Alice is in there already, but pretty much as a solo act ... the original 1969 to 1974 line-up -- Bruce, Buxton, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith -- deserves its own separate induction) 

THE DICKIES

WENDY O. WILLIAMS & THE PLASMATICS

• January 22, 2013 12:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Yardbirds have been in for a long time. But the Dolls and Pretty Things? Nope. 

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

I can think of two who should be in: The Yardbirds and the New York Dolls. Oh, and the Pretty Things.

• January 22, 2013 12:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The original Alice Cooper group was inducted, not just Vince. 

B.B. Fultz said:

I forgot about the Wildcards ...

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (sorry, but Prog Rock IS drastically underrepresented in there ... it's a far cry from Garage, but it's still a kind of "Rock & Roll," at least peripherally, so ELP and King Crimson gotta be more reasonable choices than Mad Donna or Public Enema)

BE BOP DELUXE (probably the most criminally underrated band of the 70s)

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (Alice is in there already, but pretty much as a solo act ... the original 1969 to 1974 line-up -- Bruce, Buxton, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith -- deserves its own separate induction) 

THE DICKIES

WENDY O. WILLIAMS & THE PLASMATICS

• January 21, 2013 6:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 21, 2013 6:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , we're working on that. If I can just get enough backers , we're going to open a Prohibition era - style "Speakeasy" in New York  , serving Super Big Gulps . Opening night could feature Madonna in her new performance as Iggy's old lady's foot rest , resting her foot as far , and as often , up Madonna's ass as it will go.

B.B. Fultz said:

I would actually pay money to see that.

John Battles said:

Even IF he'd wanted to , his old lady would have put her foot so far up that woman's ass , there'd be  a mad rush to queue up the drum machines , samplers and synthesizers to document Madonna's "New Sound" , something akin to Sylvester hitting on Geddy Lee's helium tank.

• January 21, 2013 6:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As for Alice Cooper the man vs the band, not sure of the specifics. The old band (minus Glen who died in '98 -- scratch that, '97) may well have played at it.

Unfortunately when people hear the name Alice Cooper these days, after 37+ years of him solo, 99% think of Vincent Furnier, not the original Nazz/Spiders/Earwigs line-up. You're probably right that they were all mentioned, but the reason I said it is, IMO I don't think Alice's solo career merits induction -- the '75 & on era mostly underwhelms me. Whereas the band era blows me away. 

To further complicate matters, Furnier had his name legally changed to Alice Cooper in '75, AND purchased the copyright to the band name to use it independently. He actually has to pay the other four annual royalties for continuing to use the "brand name" Alice Cooper.

I see what you're saying about the band being there, but personally if it were up to me, the nomination would've been specifically "Bruce/Buxton/Cooper/Dunaway/Smith" and not Alice Cooper proper, because for over 3 decades Alice Cooper has only meant Furnier and his less than stellar solo act (some of which was quite good, granted, but still ...). I just like to see the original band get their due as much as possible. I feel bad for those guys, breaking up right when they were finally starting to get #1 albums. Maybe I'm splitting hairs though.

• January 21, 2013 5:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would actually pay money to see that.

John Battles said:

Even IF he'd wanted to , his old lady would have put her foot so far up that woman's ass , there'd be  a mad rush to queue up the drum machines , samplers and synthesizers to document Madonna's "New Sound" , something akin to Sylvester hitting on Geddy Lee's helium tank.

• January 21, 2013 2:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I'd definitely agree with that, Tim.

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

• January 21, 2013 11:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 21, 2013 12:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did'nt know Thee Alice Couper GROUP was'nt inducted. Did'nt all the surviving members play  together at the induction ceremony last year , or the year before?

The only good thing about The Stooges being reduced to covering Madonna songs at her induction (Besides the sheer perversity of it.) was seeing Iggy and Madonna "Running into each other " in the hallway , Iggy giving her that "Wanna see my dressing room " look. Not really. Even IF he'd wanted to , his old lady would have put her foot so far up that woman's ass , there'd be  a mad rush to queue up the drum machines , samplers and synthesizers to document Madonna's "New Sound" , something akin to Sylvester hitting on Geddy Lee's helium tank.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel