Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: anyone here have The Seeds un-edited "Pushin' Too Hard 45?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 8, 2013 5:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big Beat/Ace in the UK has a 45 issue out now of an unedited version of the Seeds "Pushin Too Hard" that isn't on their new re-issue CDs, plus a flip with an alt take of "Girl I Want You" that is on the debut album re-issue CD.

Has anyone here heard the un-edited "Pushin' Too Hard" from this 45? Cost for the new 45 is @15 (plus shipping from the UK -- I think Big Beat is the only place to get the 45?), so just wondering if it is worth the bother and expense!

Big Beat's RSD Seeds 10" from last year was relay fab -- so glad I scored one of those!

• June 30, 2013 3:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah. It's funny , I'd just got on a Seeds jag , BEFORE I LEARNED THEY WERE REISSUING THE FIRST ALBUM , with a whole CD of extras. The pitiful few younger people who ask my opinion , I tell 'em , you're living in a good time , we all are , as far as Garage reissues are concerned. We had to deal with crappy Eva comps , where the tracking order did'nt always even make sense.....OF COURSE , GNP , AND OTHER LABELS , WERE STILL DOING THE Seeds' MAJOR RELEASES (MAYBE NOT "FUTURE" ?)  . But , when I first found an original copy of "The Seeds" , it not only sounded better , it played better than my GNP reish. Still , the mono sound is lourvely.

• June 30, 2013 11:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, John, it is quite amazing for all of this to be re-released at this late date in such a good way, even after so many re-hashed compilations over the years. The Seeds have their grip on me once again -- a truly timeless mixture they created all those years ago. :) I truly can't wait  for these next two CD sets, which I think will complete my Seeds collection once and for all! (Though I know more dribbles of re-issued sounds will continue, lol.)

Fuzz on, my friends!

• June 30, 2013 12:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So , this singles collection is for real , too. I heard about "Raw and Alive" getting done right. Some of their best songs went on that album , which is pretty amazing for a faux live album , recorded by a band on it's last legs.

People have been picking dirt on The Seeds for ages , and I don't just mean Kim Fowley. I've liked some of the reissues in the past , part . "Travel With Your Mind", but , who'd have thought a treasure trove like this would have ever been released on an unsuspecting world?

I met Sky twice. He was laid back , almost to a fault , not making insane proclamations. Just a gentle soul. He hugged me , twice . I don't know why , all I brought to get signed was my Seeds Hip Pocket record. He asked me if I wanted to sell it , but , quickly changed the subject. 

When Ya Ho Wa 13 played here , shortly after Sky's departure , they put up a big picture of Sky and said "This is Sky Saxon. He was our Brother . And, he was your Brother , too.".

• June 29, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, these current re-issues are lovingly done and should do well to cement The Seeds' legacy. Amazing stuff -- and I am being drawn back into the same Seeds-mania I first felt more than 25 years ago!

Besides the Seeds singles collection, a 2-CD re-issue of "Raw & Alive" should also be out in a few months, including the un-dubbed versions of the tracks (without added crowd noise)! 

A great time to be a Seeds fan -- and it has made me think back on my various Sky meetings over the years. :)

• June 29, 2013 4:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , very cool. I'm just glad to be seeing THE SEEDS FINALLY GETTING THEIR DUE , THO' , SADLY , ONLY TWO OF THEM LIVED TO WITNESS THIS.  Sky ,at least , toured extensively with The Wooly Bandits. I saw him once , and it was extraordinary. The second time , Sky was singing in keys known only to himself , but , it was still a good time. A friend of mine , who knew both ARTHUR LEE and SKY SAXON ,WAS OVERTHE MOON WHEN ARTHUR STARTED PLAYING HIS COMEBACK SHOWS (THO' THE 500 OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE AT HIS FIRST POST - PRISON GIG IN CHICAGO COULD HAVE JOINED ALL 75 OF US WHEN HE PLAYED HERE IN '93.).....MY FRIEND SAID , NOW THEY NEED TO DO THE SAME FORTHE SEEDS ! HE WAS RIGHT , AND , ATLEAST FOR A WHILE , IT HAPPENED , THO' WITHOUTANY OTHER ORIGINAL MEMBERS (BARRING JAN SAVAGE , WHO PLAYED WITH THEM , EARLY ON.)

• June 29, 2013 2:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The "long version" Pushin' Too Hard 45 from the UK has arrived -- I probably wouldn't have noticed the extra verse if I didn't listen for it -- and it looks like it will be included in an upcoming CD singles collection anyway. But having it on actual vinyl is cool! :)

• June 17, 2013 7:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, the 45 mono version of "Up In Her Room" is @ 3 minutes long -- and a completely different take it seems. A stereo version of it was on a Seeds vinyl comp @20 years ago. The mono "Mr Farmer" has a completely different ending!

Yes, I'm sure we'll be forced to get out our check book once again for another "rarities' comp at some point... ;)

• June 17, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The last of the series will be the A's and B's set, with as many of the rarities that can be jammed onto a 2-CD set. I don't believe it is set in stone yet, but there has to be to bookend the series. There's so much great stuff yet to be released like the mono take of Mr Farmer Marshmallow Overcoat mentioned.

• June 17, 2013 7:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'M NOT AWARE OF AN A's and B's set , beyond Jymn's mention , just now, but , the well's not dry , yet  , and we're being told more material is on the way.....Surely , the 45 version of "Up in Her Room" is cut severely? Maybe they think that would work well on a single , but not a CD. Maybe not......Sky Saxon claimed , I think it was when Bev Paterson interviewed him , that the original recorded "Out Of The Question" was over 10 minutes.  If only.

• June 17, 2013 6:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did order the 45 -- $25 including postage from the UK!?!? But as a Seeds nut I gotta have it.

BTW, I pulled out my original Seeds "Mr Farmer/Up In Her Room" 45 -- these are two alt mono takes/mixes not on LP -- and I was disappointed to see that neither are on the current Seeds re-issue CDs...

Is there a plan for a Seeds "As & Bs" release that they are being saved for?

I'll have to but them all over again, lol?  

• June 17, 2013 6:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like and respect Alec Palao a lot but these vinyl-only gems are pissing me off. ;) I hope he puts these on the "A & B's" release.

• June 11, 2013 1:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, I believe this is the same pressing I was asking about. I believe all the 45s were pressed in the UK, under license from Crescendo. I guess I'll have to track one down and report back! :)

• June 11, 2013 11:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I haven't heard it, but it's been on my radar for a year now. I didn't know about the UK version, but the US pressing from GNP Crescendo (released last year) has been popping up on Ebay at US$15-20 a few times in the last couple of months. If you keep an eye out, you could probably grab one there in due time. Looks like this (says "Made in EU", but is a US label; catalog number is different than the original version from GNP Crescendo).

• June 11, 2013 10:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, I do think the new Ace 45 is the first issue of the full-length "pushin too hard." I can't believe no one here has heard it, though!

• June 10, 2013 8:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I heard there was such a version , but , I've never actually heard it , so , the new 45 may be a first.

• June 10, 2013 3:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not sure if all the tracks from the 10" are on the current CD-re-issues. The 10" is one of the coolest re-issues I've ever seen, though!

The unedited version of "Pushin Too Hard" is only on the 45, I think -- it has an extra verse compared to the released 1966 45...

• June 10, 2013 1:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I would have liked to have scored that 10" , too. Do the versions differ from the ones on teh CD? i WAS JUST GLAD THE MGM SINGLES WERE FINALLY RE- ISSUED WITH GOOD SOUND. I'd like to see a reissue of the final Seeds single "You Took Me By SURPRISE" B/S "Shuckin' and Jivin'", purists be damned.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel