Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: YOUR Cramps covers!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 5, 2012 3:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi guys,

We all know The Cramps covered a lot of songs. But maybe YOU covered a song by The Cramps. Here's a thread where you can post (and promote) songs by your bands or yourself in your shit room, covering The Cramps.

I start with LOVE ME, played by my band, Dead Nachos.

The original was sung by The Phantom (aka Jerry Lott) in 1958, then covered by The Cramps in the Bad Music For Bad People compilation.

Love Me - Dead Nachos

I'm sure you've got one to post !

• January 13, 2013 5:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Voodoo Idols' song about The Cramps was"Temptation".

Know who the first known artist was to reference The Cramps in a song ? Joe Jackson ("The Evil EYE ,1980.).

John Battles said:

Yeah , I first heard "Love Me" on the superior UK comp , "Off The Bone"....I have'nt heard too many bands that had the chutzpah to take it on , now.....The Bananamen /Stingrays , Moondogs ....Robert Gordon lifted one line from it , Cramps style , on "Too Fast To Live , Too Young To Die "  . But , Axel is right on two counts - That this is about covers of Cramps songs , And that it's hard for people  to separate the originals from the covers , or songs they lifted the hubcaps from to create their own songs. Good artists borrow , great artists steal.

On the other hand , The Cramps have been accused of lifting from songs that only sound similar , just not similar enough e.g. "New Kind Of Kick" resembles "He's Waitin' by The Sonics , just , not enough . Ditto for The Tune Rockers' "Green Mosquito" and "Human Fly". Ivy said they had'nt even heard the song , yet , when they wrote  their signature tune.

Anyway - Crookshanks : Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

That's one , I can think of others , but The Jehovah's Witnesses woke me up at 10:30 ,this (Saturday) morning.

Here's a few songs about The Cramps -

Alan Vega - Kid Congo    ( I apologize for mispelling Kid's last name , earlier. It's  actually spelled "Tristan". ).

Voodoo Idols - Forgot the name of the song ....Will look it up.

Gun Club - For The Love of Ivy.

• January 12, 2013 5:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oh , God. He's back.     Forgot to mention the fine Chicago Rockabilly/ Garage  / Cramps - influenced band , The Dyes , do an all - Cramps set every Halloween ,with help from members of other local bands. Local Horror /Sci Fi Film Fest  mogul , Rusty Nails , did the same thing with some local musicians , several years ago.

• January 12, 2013 5:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I first heard "Love Me" on the superior UK comp , "Off The Bone"....I have'nt heard too many bands that had the chutzpah to take it on , now.....The Bananamen /Stingrays , Moondogs ....Robert Gordon lifted one line from it , Cramps style , on "Too Fast To Live , Too Young To Die "  . But , Axel is right on two counts - That this is about covers of Cramps songs , And that it's hard for people  to separate the originals from the covers , or songs they lifted the hubcaps from to create their own songs. Good artists borrow , great artists steal.

On the other hand , The Cramps have been accused of lifting from songs that only sound similar , just not similar enough e.g. "New Kind Of Kick" resembles "He's Waitin' by The Sonics , just , not enough . Ditto for The Tune Rockers' "Green Mosquito" and "Human Fly". Ivy said they had'nt even heard the song , yet , when they wrote  their signature tune.

Anyway - Crookshanks : Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

That's one , I can think of others , but The Jehovah's Witnesses woke me up at 10:30 ,this (Saturday) morning.

Here's a few songs about The Cramps -

Alan Vega - Kid Congo    ( I apologize for mispelling Kid's last name , earlier. It's  actually spelled "Tristan". ).

Voodoo Idols - Forgot the name of the song ....Will look it up.

Gun Club - For The Love of Ivy.

• January 12, 2013 2:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In my band The Raidiators we did Goo Goo Muck,The Crusher,Strychnine,Green Fuzz,No club Lone Wolf,I walked All Night,Kizmiaz,Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs .I will try and post a link later.

• January 11, 2013 2:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really good 'Love Me' version but I thought this topic was about covers of Cramps songs, not covers of songs the Cramps covered. But well, as the music to many of their own songs was stolen from other songs anyway, maybe it doesn't matter ;-)

• December 13, 2012 2:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

TtHE BONE DRIVERS ALSO DID A LOT OF CRAMPS OR RELATED STUFF - Human Fly , I'm Cramped , The Crusher , New Kind of Kick , Psychotic Reaction , Surfin Bird , etc.

Their Drummer , Bob Woodrum , went on to work for The Cramps ,eventually becoming Road Manager.

• December 13, 2012 2:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chicago Punk Polka Practitioners , The Polkaholics , have recently taken to doing a medley of Human Fly and Hava Nagila ! Others.......

Crookshanks - Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

Divine Horsemen - Voodoo Idol.

Dyes - The Way I Walk , Goo Goo Muck , etc. - They also do an all - Cramps set each Hallowe'en.

Kid Congo Poweers and The Pink MONKEY BIRDS - I'm Cramped , Goo Goo Muck.

Thee Amazing Heebie Jeebies - Garbageman.

• December 8, 2012 10:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yup, for the annual Cramps night; we've done Green Fuz, I'm Cramped, Sheena's in a Goth Gang, New Kind of Kick, possibly a couple of others that I've forgotten! D.

• December 6, 2012 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ahahah I can't resist to the sound of a Dano. Good!

• December 6, 2012 5:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good one the Dead Nachos !

• December 6, 2012 5:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeeaah we use to play Caveman as the last song of our shows.

Here is a shot from our first show ever one year ago :

http://youtu.be/G6rbzJV6004

• December 5, 2012 4:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My band never did any Cramps songs (or covers) at shows but we did play them at practice, mostly either Goo Goo Muck or New Kind of Kick.

• December 5, 2012 3:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did you guys know that The Right Stuff movie has JIMMY LLOYD's I GOT A ROCKET IN MY POCKET? That was the high point for me.

Sorry, not inna band :(

• December 5, 2012 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If I had the equipment to post (That sounds vaguely obscene, it is'nt meant to) , I'd be glad to. My first little band did "Goo Goo Muck" and "The Way I Walk" (COVERS OF SONGS THE CRAMPS COVERED.) back in 1982. Since then , Ive done Cramps songs , or songs that inspired them , off and on , privately and on stage. Most recently , I did "Voodoo Idol", for Lux. It always seemed to be about him.

• December 5, 2012 9:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow! Sexy saxophone really ?

I have to say it sounds a bit disturbing but I'll try to listen to the whole song !

Anyone ?

• December 5, 2012 9:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They aren't my band, but a group from Conway, Arkansas called The Rockin' Guys did a great cover of "Can Your Pussy Do the Dog" a few years ago. Sounds nothing like the original. This version is almost No Wave.

Hear a sample here: http://www.amazon.com/Can-Your-Pussy-The-Dog/dp/B001C1IV98

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel