Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: obligatory 'BEST OF 2012' discussion

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 6, 2012 3:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Figured somebody had to start this thread...& off the top o' my dome, I'm strugglin' to recall too many killer dillers from 2012...just a couple to kick it off tho:

Shannon & the Clams "Ozma" b/w "Muppet Babies theme" on 1-2-3-4 Go!

Link Wray double 7'' on Sundazed (released on Record Store Day)

UP-TO-UPDATE: my personal top slices of 2012 http://bit.ly/VCi1Pg

• January 9, 2013 8:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best New Reissue Label - Alona's Dream.

• January 7, 2013 9:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool lists, links and vid collections, makes me think 2012 was not so bad after all and garagepunk is far from dead! Thanks everybody, i found A few new cool bands here.

Chaz
    • January 7, 2013 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why do you hate to say it? Surely it's better that newer bands have made the best records last year. 

Josh Hutto said:

So I have had a couple of beers, and I have gone thru some of the records I enjoyed the most this year, and I hate to say it... but most of them are from newer bands. I mean, a lot of good records came out this year from some young kids that blew some of the older bands out of the water.

FIDLAR - ALL The EPs they had this year, all the single releases... I have had the chance to hear the new record and it is still enough garage punk surf to make your mouth melt.

Ty has been pumping shit out this year, and we all know that everything he did this year was great.

The Tough Shits?

Shannon and The Clams

Warm Soda

The Orwells? (I know Pitchfork kind of just creamed themselves about those guys)

Cool Ghouls

Straight Arrows

The Babies

White Laces (More Towards the post punk side)

Cold Showers (Also More Towards the post punk/Goth Side)

The Soft Moon

Gotta give it up for the guys in Tyvek and the new record...

Gotta give it up from the guy in Lace Curtains

The list would just get longer and longer, but I feel that is enough to kind of get the gist of were I was this year...

Oh, and The Get Wets - My home town heros...

• January 7, 2013 4:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Come on over and listen to our best of 2012 show, it'll save me typing the songs out! It's a mixture of new releases and older bits we bought last year. You can find it here.

• January 7, 2013 3:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joe , It's OK , i COULD TELL THAT YOU WERE QUOTING A REVIEW OR A PRESS KIT. I did'nt take it as a stab , on your part , against the group. But , when people take shots at BC , not knowing what they went thru , later in life , I say , quote , dig this , boys ,

"  000000000000000000000000000000    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO     000000000000000   WOOOOOOO OOOOOOO 0000000000OOOOOOOOO!!!!!! ". YOU KNOW WHAT i'M TALKIN' ABOUT.

Joe said:

I should clarify that those are the band's words, not mine (Blue Cheer is swell!)  Atomic Suplex does a cover of "Summertime Blues" on their new EP, so I think it's a tongue-in-cheek reference. 

John Battles said:

Nobody told Blue Cheer how to play a Rock'n'Roll song , not even when they were two men in their sixties and one in his fifties , criss-crossing the map in a white van , sometimes to play for 50 people , but, I'll check this out .

• January 7, 2013 3:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Terrific compilation!  Personal favorite:  A Giant Dog - I was totally unfamiliar with them, but their tune is amazing.

AFS73 said:

Lots of great records released in 2012, check it out my video of the best LP's of 2012:  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9600625/

• January 7, 2013 3:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I should clarify that those are the band's words, not mine (Blue Cheer is swell!)  Atomic Suplex does a cover of "Summertime Blues" on their new EP, so I think it's a tongue-in-cheek reference. 

John Battles said:

Nobody told Blue Cheer how to play a Rock'n'Roll song , not even when they were two men in their sixties and one in his fifties , criss-crossing the map in a white van , sometimes to play for 50 people , but, I'll check this out .

• January 7, 2013 11:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Im really digging this band from scotland Deneuralyzer the organ is supersick check em out on soundcloud http://snd.sc/WoUKAn

• January 6, 2013 4:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best Garage Punk reissue 45 - The Bees  - Voices Green and Purple /Trip To New Orleans.

Best Pretty Things Releases - Honey I Need , Live 2010/I Can Never Say , 1965 Demo. 45.

SF SORROW LIVE IN LONDON 2010 + 1 TRACK , LIVE , 1969 .  EP - 45.

Best long overdue Punk Rock band career retrospective - The Nervebreakers - Hijack The Radio. CD

Best career retrospective from lead singer of said band: T. Tex Edwards , Intexica ! CD

Best long - overdue new release from an old school Punk band -

The Rezillos - Rosalyn (Yes , The Pretty Things song !) / Out of This World. 45/CD

NOW. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR , AND CAN PLAY , AND HAVE  THE POP HOOKS POP - PUNK ALWAYS LACKED , DOES'NT MEAN THE REZILLOS ARE'NT PUNK. THAT'D BE LIKE SAYING THE BUZZCOCKS ,  DICKIES , BOYS , OR THE VIBRATORS ARE'NT PUNK , EITHER.

Best Cramps Bootleg - Live at Club 57 , NYC, 1979+Ohio Sessions - 2 LP.

Best Band career - spanning box set -  The Alice Cooper Group , Old School (4 CD). OK , ONE WHOLE CD IS ALL INTERVIEWS , AND  A DVD WOULD HAVE BEEN IN ORDER , BUT ,THERE'S SOME AMAZING STUFF , HERE , OF WHICH I'VE EVER HEARD MAYBE TWO TRACKS , PREVIOUSLY , AND SO HAVE YOU , IF YOU'RE MUCH OF A FAN.

• January 5, 2013 12:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Great list and fun to watch!

AFS73 said:

Lots of great records released in 2012, check it out my video of the best LP's of 2012:  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9600625/

• January 3, 2013 4:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 3, 2013 4:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First, I have to say that 2012 has been a super exiting year in terms of music, and also that I LOVE making list. So many good LPs went out this year. Here is my Top:

Natural Child - For The Love Of The Game

Natural Child - Hard In Heaven

Le Kid et Les Marinellis - Les Jolies Filles

The Cry - S/T

Guantanamo Baywatch - Chest Crawl

The Tough Shits - S/T

Paint Fumes - Uck Life

White Wires - WWIII

Black Jaspers - Scum Of the Moon

Cheap Time - Wallpaper Music

Dagger Eyes - S/T

Crusaders of Love - Take it Easy but Take it

Gentleman Jessie - Leaving Atlanta

Top EPs:

Denney & The Jets - Slick Rick

Primitive Hearts -S/T

Top 7'':

Cozy - Cola Shock Kids

No Tomorrow Boys - Animal Eyes

Warm Soda - Reaction

Oh yeah, I'm 100% sure that I am forgetting a bunch of good releases. So I guess those are my favorites! And also, Am I the only one that has been disapointed by Ty Segall this year?

• December 20, 2012 3:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my two-year-old and I are jamming the new Ty Segall album right now. He's playing pretend guitar along with it on a frying pan. We both give it a thumbs up.

• December 19, 2012 5:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really loving this thread. Discoverd some great bands here ive never heard before!

• December 17, 2012 8:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool, thanks for that info Joe. I'm going to go seek that out now.

Joe said:

I think it was self-released by the band as a digital download only ($4 from Amazon) in August. The title track is a killer! From their Facebook page:

"Available today on iTunes and all digital stores is Diamond Skull, the new Atomic Suplex EP featuring three brand new recordings, including a version of Summertime Blues that shows Blue Cheer how to play a rock n roll song. Go forth and download."

• December 17, 2012 6:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it was self-released by the band as a digital download only ($4 from Amazon) in August. The title track is a killer! From their Facebook page:

"Available today on iTunes and all digital stores is Diamond Skull, the new Atomic Suplex EP featuring three brand new recordings, including a version of Summertime Blues that shows Blue Cheer how to play a rock n roll song. Go forth and download."

• December 17, 2012 6:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joe,

I totally missed that one. What label was that on?

Joe said:

It's tough to make a "Best of" list, when I know there's still so much stuff released in 2012 that I should've listened to, but haven't yet.  Anyway, my Top Six Albums/EPs for 2012, in no particular order:

Atomic Suplex: Diamond Skull EP

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel