Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Paul McKurtney

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 19, 2012 1:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's pretty funny. There were a lot of X-Rated Country songs in the 70's , many of which appear on the soundtrack to "John Waters' Dirty Shame".

Mark George Harrison said:

It'd have to b a country song  'I cant remember the last time you blew me, and I cant be arsed to google it!'   or something along those lines??

John Battles said:

I forgot about Mitch Mitchell , but, of course , the "Big" Three , Davey Jones , Steve Marriott and Jack Wild (Well into his teens. Well , I guess they ALL were.), all played The Artful Dodger. Rumors that Ian Anderson was being considered for the part of Mad Dog Fagin in the film version are greatly exaggerated.  "I can't be arsed to google it." THAT'S A SONG TITLE !

I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

Davey jones was in long-running soap opera Coronation street and was quite well known, I also read today that Mitch Mitchell was a child actor as well, nearly forgot little Steve Marriott was the Artful Dodger, seems to be the choice for the 'little people' to start their careers.

John Battles said:

Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

Child star rock 'n' roll, two in the Monkees for a start!

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

You never fail to bring a smile to my face JB!

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 18, 2012 6:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It'd have to b a country song  'I cant remember the last time you blew me, and I cant be arsed to google it!'   or something along those lines??

John Battles said:

I forgot about Mitch Mitchell , but, of course , the "Big" Three , Davey Jones , Steve Marriott and Jack Wild (Well into his teens. Well , I guess they ALL were.), all played The Artful Dodger. Rumors that Ian Anderson was being considered for the part of Mad Dog Fagin in the film version are greatly exaggerated.  "I can't be arsed to google it." THAT'S A SONG TITLE !

I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

Davey jones was in long-running soap opera Coronation street and was quite well known, I also read today that Mitch Mitchell was a child actor as well, nearly forgot little Steve Marriott was the Artful Dodger, seems to be the choice for the 'little people' to start their careers.

John Battles said:

Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 17, 2012 7:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 17, 2012 4:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 17, 2012 1:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 17, 2012 1:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In his own writing, below is his top 50 albums.

Meet the Beatles is listed in there.. so Beatles get (1) listing, but Black Flag (2), Wipers (3),Butthole Surfers (2) 

so... I don't doubt that he respected The Beatles but I wouldn't say they were his "go to" influence. I don't really care, I like his over all list and the music he created from Bleach to Heart Shaped Box.  I even liked Insecticide when it came out.  I bought Heart Shaped Box when it came out and that is the last Nirvana anything I purchased.  I would love some of the old splits and 45s.

I couldn't listen to any of it from like 1997-2010. It was everywhere and always on greatest everything of all time lists.  I would like to see those lists (if we don't die on Friday) in 3013, 4013, etc.  I don't know that it'll still be in the top 5. Its good, but not like THE ULTIMATE of all time.

----

We’re taking a look at the Nirvana frontman’s list of top 50 albums, which was published in the songwriter’s collection of journals in 2002.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/11/kurt-cobains-top-50-albums.html

• December 17, 2012 10:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I once read that Kurt Cobain's biggest influence were The Beatles.

Grazianohmygod said:

Looks like the collaboration is partially to generate buzz for Dave Grohl's new documentary. I liked the pairing for the most part. I mean, McCartney did write Helter Skelter, which is practically In Utero's baby-daddy. Seemed fitting.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 17, 2012 9:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Looks like the collaboration is partially to generate buzz for Dave Grohl's new documentary. I liked the pairing for the most part. I mean, McCartney did write Helter Skelter, which is practically In Utero's baby-daddy. Seemed fitting.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 17, 2012 4:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 16, 2012 4:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 16, 2012 2:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 15, 2012 3:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 15, 2012 7:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I dont remember motherfucker, maybe we had a censored version over here??

John Battles said:

DROOPER AND SNORK , MOTHERFUCKER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

• December 14, 2012 6:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DROOPER AND SNORK , MOTHERFUCKER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

• December 14, 2012 2:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

• December 13, 2012 2:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow. I only ever saw the video to The Circle Jerks' version of "I Wanna Destroy You" on Beavis and Butthead....I had no idea about any Debbie Gibson involvement. It does'nt seem so contradictory , now. Debbie and Keith Morris are both have a Jewish background in common , and , to quote "Fiddler on The Roof" , "It may not mean a thing to you , but , then again , it might.".

Barbie Ella said:

http://www.myspace.com/video/brownie/circle-jerks-debbie-gibson-i-w...!

In­ter­view with Deb­bie Gib­son, Kei­th Mor­ris and the Cir­cle Jerks (CJ) on MTV News "This Week in Rock", along with live footage of Gib­son spe­cial guest­ing on "I Wan­na De­stroy You". Clip ex­plains how she be­came fea­tured on the CJ song and her im­prov of the counter melody that ends it.

Enjoy!

• December 13, 2012 2:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Debbie Gibson recorded a song with The Circle Jerks?! That's pretty funny.

I watched McCartney's set , again. I was only half - watching it , last night , when I realized that was Steve Conte (Of the Reformed , as opposed to Orthodox, New York Dolls , Michael Monroe's band , etc.). I was more impressed by that , even tho' the Nirmacca song went off without a hitch.

Barbie Ella said:

Good to hear, I didn't see it.

It jogged my memory of the song Debbie Gibson recorded with the Circle Jerks. That seemed very odd to me at the time.  Belinda Carlisle was in The Germs (as Dottie Danger) for a short while.

I can see Belinda with The germs more over than Gibson with Circle Jerks.  I've heard a lot of Belinda. Go-Go's threw down.  Their behind the music is awesome.

It's good to explore new musical territory.  Horrah for new creative attempts.  It just really seemed bizarre to me, but it's not the first time such has happened in musical history. 

It makes us all hiccup but good things can happen. :)

• December 13, 2012 2:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bingo.

• December 13, 2012 9:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good to hear, I didn't see it.

It jogged my memory of the song Debbie Gibson recorded with the Circle Jerks. That seemed very odd to me at the time.  Belinda Carlisle was in The Germs (as Dottie Danger) for a short while.

I can see Belinda with The germs more over than Gibson with Circle Jerks.  I've heard a lot of Belinda. Go-Go's threw down.  Their behind the music is awesome.

It's good to explore new musical territory.  Horrah for new creative attempts.  It just really seemed bizarre to me, but it's not the first time such has happened in musical history. 

It makes us all hiccup but good things can happen. :)

• December 13, 2012 9:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 13, 2012 2:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought it actually sounded all right. Paul on stage with one of the Germs . I never thought I'd see the day.

• December 12, 2012 2:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm all for raising as much funds as possible.

I think Paul would bring out media and donations alone. 

Just an odd mix up.

A Mick & Paul song together (or Mick & Bowie) would be awesome, but the Nirvana/John thing just makes me shake my head. I understand the big picture, but it just feels so wrong.

I think it would be more amusing to see Paul play with Oasis minus Liam. 

• December 12, 2012 2:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd rather see him with Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana , again , but , that's just me.

I think the thing is , they're trying to raise as much money as possible for Hurricane Sandy victims , so , they're putting together the biggest names possible to drum up more attention.

I guess someone figured , if McCartney  and the two surviving members of Nirvana (Excluding Pat Smear.) were available , separately , to perform , why not have them perform together?

OK , The fact that Paul copped to not knowing who they were , I guess , is a big why not.

But , there was no way they were going to let them do this without a superstar frontman at the wheel. Greg Sage would make sense , if on a smaller scale , but , people want names. We know him , but most people don't.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel