Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: House/basement shows (and other DIY venues)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2012 12:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm starting a book for Microcosm that is focusing on DIY house and basement shows. If you have lived in a house that booked shows, were involved with booking other DIY spaces (i.e., not clubs or bars), are/were in a band that plays in DIY spaces, can you send me a PM if you'd be up for a conversation about these things? Similarly, if you've been involved in a scene for a long time and attended shows at houses very early, and would be willing to chat, please PM me.

My primary focus is the US but I'd be interested in stories about other countries. And although it seems like most houses book various types of punk bands, I am interested in any type of underground/DIY music.

Thanks.

• December 21, 2012 6:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah let us know when the book is done.  I'd like to say something about that in the facebook group I'm in about Musicians standing up against the pay to play practice which spills over into the "bands have to sell tickets in order to play" practice.

Daniel M said:

Yeah, your description of the Olympia scene is the type of thing I'm thinking about. And ideally the book will allow people in the scene to get some sense of differences among scenes and for people outside the scene, who are interested in uses of space, to get some understanding of alternatives to more mainstream music industry practices (advance ticket sales, profits from beer sales, etc.).

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Oh, allright. I didn't get it at first.  Yeah, a book about the experiences would be great.  I lived in Olympia, WA during the late 80s and early 90s and I thought that scene ruled.  We either found spaces to rent, or someone would put something together at their house either in their living room or basement.  We also had the Evergreen State College and bands would set up in the dorms to play.  It was where people witnesses early performances by Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Fitz of Depression, and Bikini Kill.  It was so much fun.

Daniel M said:

PM is private message. I'll sen you a note, John.

I'm not working on a book that is a listing of places (akin to BYOFL or DODIY). Instead, this will be more narrative-focused. If you've read Stephen Duncomb's book about fanzines, that could be somewhat similar or the My First Show book.

• December 21, 2012 6:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Evergreen was in the middle of nowhere so we could get past noise complaints.  There were some Apts across the street but they couldn't hear as across the street was like a couple of acres away.   Parties never got shut down in the city either for that matter.

John Battles said:

Yes , even tho' I always thought people could have the option of turning it down , or turning it off....But , it never seemed to go that way. And , at least where I went to school , Frats could pull any kind of shit they wanted. Some were'nt as bad about that as others , but , they could be loud , obnoxious, violent. That was OK , they were'nt dressing "Punk" or "Hippie" (Both of which had lost their shock value CENTURIES before being replaced by those flannel shirts K-Mart used to sell , 3 for $10.).

Personally , I think a book like this could be very interesting. We should be supportive.

dave said:

Hey, thanks Rod, I'd forgotten about that thing. Just looked it up:

Book Your Own Fuckin' Life

"Don't forget to leave feedback. If you leave comments, people can know what's up. There is no more print version of Book Your Own Life, and there won't be one."
      To add to John's input, I was at one of those hippie/diy houses in about '94, listening to a punk band. This was on the outskirts of town, and it *still* got shut down by the cops.
      Maybe it's an attitude thing. Police don't like punky lookin' kids being loud, but if Young Republican types do the same thing, it seems to be OK with the powers-that-be.
    • December 21, 2012 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , even tho' I always thought people could have the option of turning it down , or turning it off....But , it never seemed to go that way. And , at least where I went to school , Frats could pull any kind of shit they wanted. Some were'nt as bad about that as others , but , they could be loud , obnoxious, violent. That was OK , they were'nt dressing "Punk" or "Hippie" (Both of which had lost their shock value CENTURIES before being replaced by those flannel shirts K-Mart used to sell , 3 for $10.).

Personally , I think a book like this could be very interesting. We should be supportive.

dave said:

"Don't forget to leave feedback. If you leave comments, people can know what's up. There is no more print version of Book Your Own Life, and there won't be one."
      To add to John's input, I was at one of those hippie/diy houses in about '94, listening to a punk band. This was on the outskirts of town, and it *still* got shut down by the cops.
      Maybe it's an attitude thing. Police don't like punky lookin' kids being loud, but if Young Republican types do the same thing, it seems to be OK with the powers-that-be.
    • December 21, 2012 11:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, your description of the Olympia scene is the type of thing I'm thinking about. And ideally the book will allow people in the scene to get some sense of differences among scenes and for people outside the scene, who are interested in uses of space, to get some understanding of alternatives to more mainstream music industry practices (advance ticket sales, profits from beer sales, etc.).

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Oh, allright. I didn't get it at first.  Yeah, a book about the experiences would be great.  I lived in Olympia, WA during the late 80s and early 90s and I thought that scene ruled.  We either found spaces to rent, or someone would put something together at their house either in their living room or basement.  We also had the Evergreen State College and bands would set up in the dorms to play.  It was where people witnesses early performances by Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Fitz of Depression, and Bikini Kill.  It was so much fun.

Daniel M said:

I'm not working on a book that is a listing of places (akin to BYOFL or DODIY). Instead, this will be more narrative-focused. If you've read Stephen Duncomb's book about fanzines, that could be somewhat similar or the My First Show book.

• December 20, 2012 4:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Daniel M said:

• December 20, 2012 3:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 20, 2012 3:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 20, 2012 3:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Private message as opposed to writing out your answer here in public.

An actual book?  I don't know...in this day and age, I think you're better off just making an internet site with a data base as DIY houses and spaces can change constantly.  I don't even think BOOK YOUR OWN LIFE makes a print format any more.  It started becoming a waste of paper as they had to change it every year.

John Battles said:

Sorry , I slept about six hours last night , but , to "PM" , what does that mean? I'm sure I'm the only person who was'nt familiar with that expression.  But , I've played at several house gigs , going back to the mid - 80's, long before it was the cool thing to do , and you still , invariably , would get shut down by the cops , while the Frat party next door was going three times as loud , all night. I'd be interested in helping you , if I can.

• December 20, 2012 2:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry , I slept about six hours last night , but , to "PM" , what does that mean? I'm sure I'm the only person who was'nt familiar with that expression.  But , I've played at several house gigs , going back to the mid - 80's, long before it was the cool thing to do , and you still , invariably , would get shut down by the cops , while the Frat party next door was going three times as loud , all night. I'd be interested in helping you , if I can.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel