Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Lenny Kaye talks about Nuggets on its 40th anniversary

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2012 7:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"And of course the bottom line is that all of these are great songs. They're just not genre pieces. There has been a lot of archaeological dig in the world of garage since Nuggets. But to me, what made the album initially attractive beyond any musical philosophizing was the fact that every one of these songs were great songs beyond genre."

http://www.spinner.com/2012/12/18/lenny-kaye-nuggets-40th-anniversary/

• December 24, 2012 2:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's interesting. I love me some local boys , Shadows of Knight , but , I WAS GLAD TO LEARN THAT Them's original eclipsed it iN some markets . Like I say , we had a pretty hip Oldies station in Dallas in The 80's , when I lived there , but , I heard "You're Gonna Miss Me" a total of once , and this WAS in Texas.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

A station in LA during the 80s played a lot of the garage hits as well as British hits that sounded "garagy" but no early Pink Floyd unfortuanately.  Didn't play Thirteenth Floor Elevators either...the weird thing is...they didn't play Shadows of Knight either.  The station worked off of local charts as opposed to Billboard so if they played GLORIA, it was by Them because it topped there locally.

• December 23, 2012 8:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A station in LA during the 80s played a lot of the garage hits as well as British hits that sounded "garagy" but no early Pink Floyd unfortuanately.  Didn't play Thirteenth Floor Elevators either...the weird thing is...they didn't play Shadows of Knight either.  The station worked off of local charts as opposed to Billboard so if they played GLORIA, it was by Them because it topped there locally.

• December 23, 2012 5:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Even by the time I found a copy of "Nuggets" , there were bands on it that I'd only read about. "It's a Happening" by The Magic Mushrooms , nope , you would'nt have heard that on even your hippest Oldies show or station. And , at the time , the oldies station in Dallas played the biggies , Pushin' Too Hard , Psychotic Reaction , I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) , Talk Talk , etc. , almost daily , as well as Call Me Lightning , Over , Under , Sideways Down and even , occasionally , "See Emily Play"....I once heard Mel Robbins' "Save It"! (Yes , the one The Cramps slowed down and covered in still - compelling fashion.). There were still plenty of Nuggets songs that never got play (One well - known DJ , Hell , I even know him , reneged on a possible gig with this station because he wanted to play "Let's Talk About Girls" by The Chocolate Watchband. When they asked him , "WHO were The Chocolate Watchband?" , he split. ) .    But , in the mid to late 80's , "Nuggets " was still the grail , the reason for Pebbles , Psychedelic Microdots , Acid Visions , Chocolate Soup For Diabetics , Journey To Tyme , Vile Vinyl , Mindbenders , Boulders , and , yes , "Back From The Grave".........

• December 21, 2012 7:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exactly.  I guess you could say the same thing about '67 and '72 as you could '67 and '62.

James Porter said:

Rockin' Rod (hey, man!) said:

"Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network."

Also because times changed quicker back then.

There was a world of difference between '67 and '72. But in 2012, I look back at 2007 and it may as well be one second ago. We all might have gone through personal changes, but the cultural climate doesn't seem drastically different.

• December 21, 2012 6:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin' Rod (hey, man!) said:

"Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network."

Also because times changed quicker back then.

There was a world of difference between '67 and '72. But in 2012, I look back at 2007 and it may as well be one second ago. We all might have gone through personal changes, but the cultural climate doesn't seem drastically different.

• December 21, 2012 6:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network.  But you don't get that same feeling now with watching 30 year old shows today.  The same way 30 year old songs today don't feel that old (and magical).  Overplayed?  Never having the chance to disappear? or the fact that production for major labels has stayed bland?  Whatever it was about production that happened during the "Nuggets" age seems like it can never be recaptured no matter how you try.

• December 21, 2012 4:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....This is where it all began. Most of the songs on "Nuggets" were only six years old , tops , and , some , even less , in 1972 , when it was released. But , the need for a collection like this was already there. It was probably called an anachronism at the time , just as some people call it one , today , only because there's a shitload more rarities , readily available , but , it took one man's vision to set the cogs in motion. Besides , the original 2 LP set was not as readily available some 10 , 12 years later. I had to settle for a copy of "Nuggets" with one record missing for years....I even had the 8-Track , which would'nt play , before I found an original 2 LP set. All in all , the original "Nuggets " set , a good portion of Rhino's LPs in the "Nuggets" series (The CDs were terrible . A situation later rectified with the 4 CD box set) and the aforementioned box set , still sound great today.     Mazeltov , Lenny.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel