Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Radio What Wave from London, Ontario Canada...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 28, 2014 11:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ya John, Johnny Winter was fairly popular around these parts. He was playing the clubs in this area right up until March of this year.

Seems like everyone of a certain age has a Johnny Winter story from one of the many times they saw him. I'm the odd man out and never did see him. Unfortunatly i did see Rush and Triumph many years ago prior to getting immersed in punk/new wave right after that.

But Goddo whom i saw several times were a little different. Rejected by the punk audience in Toronto, yet they had many similarities (high energy and fuck the establishment attitude) and even played on some of the same bills. They were a band that were really good when they first started but got really boring by the time they released their 3rd LP (Act Of Goddo).

• July 28, 2014 3:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.Well , of course ,Winter was still playing clubs and venues like House of Blues until not very long ago , but , previously , he was playing on the big festivals , including Woostock.....Like Hendrix , I'll take his pre - fame sides over the more popular stuff , any day. But , I could tell he was more popular on the big concert circuit in Canada by the Late 70's - Early 80's than here. He did'nt really play to the teens , by that time.

But , Inever saw Johnny Winter. I liked his work with Muddy Waters , but , never followed him enough to consider myself a serious fan. Like I say , "Ballad of Bertha Glutz" , "Birds Can't Row Boats" , gimme more.

Yes....I saw Rush , Triumph , Wireless and Max Webster, too , when I was too young to get into the clubs.  Not something I'm proud of , no....MAX WEBSTER, I STILL KINDA LIKE. They were sorta New Wavish . NOT REALLY LIKE RUSH , THO' THEY WORKED TOGETHER A LOT. I have one Goddo LP , AND IT'S JUST  GOOD ROCK'N'ROLL , with enough quirks to set it apart from the Mainstream Rock brigade.... 

• August 2, 2014 10:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist for July 31st and Special Fill-in for Aug 1st

We had Robert Mongrel, of the infamous pub rock band The Mongrels in to talk about what is going down on Sunday August 3rd at APK. It's the premier of Rock'n'Roll Rent Party, starting at 3PM with Space Slave hitting the stage on the hour and later The Mongrels hit the stage. It's a great way to spend a sunday afternoon seeing some top notch bands and still be able to get to the salt mines next day for the weekly grind. That is if you work this monday.

It's going to be a monthly affair with The Mongrels as the resident band and different bands sharing the bill. No cover, pass the hat around to donate to the band and yours truly will be the yammering MC for the event. Come on out sunday for some fun!

1. The Frost....Rock'n'Roll...taken from the LP, Michigan Rocks (indeed it does!) and goes out to Dick Wagner who passed away this week.

2. The Mongrels....Piece Of Crap....from a Radio WW Session aired 5/2/13.

3. The Mongrels...No More Tears...as above.

4. The Fine Print....Nobody Likes Me...from the cassette Record Store Day released by WW Records. This band features Shawn Larouge, who's latest band is Space Slave is opening on sunday. Space Slave have nothing recorded but we had to play some bands/songs featuring Shawn Larouge.

5. The Fine Print...Remember...as above.

6. The Fine Print...Time Is Right...as above. BTW, the cassette was a limited editon for Record Store Day 2011 and is long gone. And The Fine Print broke up right around that time.

7. Ducks Deluxe....Coast To Coast...from their 1974 debut LP on RCA. This is pub rock!

8. The Mongrels....All Systems Go...from the Radio WW Session.

9. Dragsville....Royal Drag....from their first ever show at Brennan's, 11/3/12. Yet another Shawn Larouge combo.

10. Hurricane And Able....11 On The Dial....download from yet another Shawn Larouge combo.

11. Hurricane And Able...Suddenly.... as above.

12. Hurricane And Able...Time...as above.

13. The Mongrels....Do It... from the Radio WW Session.

14. The Liggs....It's Not You Babe....brand new demo from a brand new Brantford Ontario combo

15. The Bardos...Meat Heart....brand new download from a band that went under the name Cursed Arrows. The Bardos are presently on a cross Canada tour, wisely avoiding sleepy London Ontario.

16. The Above...Coming Around....from their brand new LP, Waterbury Street. NYC combo who mix mod, garage, pop and lots of hooks.

17. Lionel Lodge....Shut Down...from his brand new CD, The Agitator.

18. Dustbin Flowers....Bayside Jenny....from their debut CD.

19. Dead City Soul Review....If They Come In The Morning...from their latest demo. DCSR are moving out west....as in way out in western Canada.

20. Magic Christian....Let's Shake....7" on Hammer City Records featuring; Cyril Jordan, Clem Burke, Eddie Munoz, Paul Kopf, Gord Lewis, Dave Rave and Hamilton's best kept secret, Michael Fonfara.

21. The Plimsouls....A Million Miles Away...one of my favourite singles and Eddie Munoz is on lead Rickenbacker on this one. Eddie, Clem and Keith Streng were  at This Ain't Hollywood on friday night with their new combo, Split Squad.

And that's a wrap for the thursday show. Big thanx to all the phone-ins, you know who you are and it's always appreciated!! Thanx for all the emails, facebook messages and Hey's!!
      On to the friday noon-time fill in that ran from 12:30 to 1:30PM with Melissa Parrott as a trainee.

1. Dead City Soul Review....Breaking The Shackles Of Love...from their latest demo.

2. Masked Boy....Cool....from the Self Loathing download. One man combo from Wheatley Ontario....google map that one!

3. The Mogs...Run Like Hell....from the El'Mogamundo CD on WW Records. This one goes out to Rob Munro who passed away a couple weeks ago. RIP buddy!

4. Lionel Lodge...Smile...from the brand new Agitator CD.

5. Dustbin Flowers....Plasticine Nicotine....from their brand new II CD.

6. The Liggs....1950's Delusion....from their brand new demo...brand new Brantford Ontario combo.

7. The Bardos...Devils Weed....from their brand new 3 song download. Formerly known as The Cursed Arrows.

8. The Above....The Prisoner....from the brand new Waterbury Street LP.

9. The Mongrels....All Systems Go...from the Radio WW Session.

10. The Mongrels....Do It....as above.

11. The Mongrels...No More Tears... as above.

12. The Fine Print...Hanging Over Me...from their only CD, Standing Out.

13. The Fine Print...Tonight... as above.

14. The Magic Christian....Tomorrow Never Knows....from their Evolver CD.

15. The Plimsouls....Playing With Jack....from the Kool Trash CD. This song refers to Peter Case playing with Jack Lee (and Paul Collins) in the highly influential Nerves band.  This version of The Plimsouls features Clem Burke on the drums.

16. The Plimsouls....Falling Awake... as above.

17. The Plimsouls....Now....from the Plus CD. You've probably heard The Finks (local combo) version of this song played on Radio WW as it's a fave of mine.

Hope this helped the lunch time patio beers go down a bit easier as we eased into a long weekend here in Ontario.

You can listen to the podcast for the regular Thursday show at:
      http://chrwradio.ca/programs/radio-what-wave

• August 9, 2014 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Aug 7 2014

This is our last show for a few weeks. The next couple of shows will be hosted by the infamous Ryan In The Red, former host of CHRW's In The Red and Rock City Madness and current host of Garagepunk Hideout podcast Rock City Madness. It cost big bucks to bring in this top notch radio host, so make sure you tune in as Ryan In The Red has a history of really good musical taste! And he's a good guy too!

1. Dixy Blood....Goo Goo Muck...recorded live 2/22/14 at Kung Fu Necktie in Philly as part of the Lux Interior Tribute. It's been 5 years since Lux passed and he's still 5 years ahead of his time.

2. Space Slave...Don't Want To Fall In Love....recorded live at APK 8/3/14 as part of our Rock'n'Roll Rent Party. This was the first band to play at our first RnRent Party and their first showing of  these songs. Next RnRent Party is Sunday Sept 7th.

3. The Mongrels....7 and 7 Is?....recorded live at APK 8/3/14 as part of our RnRent Party. The Mongrels are the resident host band for the festivities.

4. Simply Saucer...Reckless Agitation....from their brand new 12" Baby Nova record.

5. The Ramones....Loudmouth....recorded live at CBGB's in 1976. This is the fired up jet aircraft in the hangar sound these guys perfected. Ramonsarama is happening this weekend at Call The Office in sleepy London Ontario Canada.

6. The Ramones...Do You Wanna Dance?.... as above. Hopefully the answer is yes.

7. The Noble Savages...The Music Will Kill You...from their debut CD. They were opening for Nashville Pussy on the night this show aired.

8. Dustbin Flowers...Saturday's Ashes...from their II CD. Local combo who play out fairly often.

9. Dave Rave...4th Of July...brand new demo from Dave Rave.  Dave has a brand new combo w/Gordie Lewis, which makes 2 former Teenage Heads in one band! They debuted a coupla weeks back but probably won't be playing often as Dave is constantly touring across North America and Europe.

10. The Above...Dog Without A Bone...from the brand new Waterbury Street LP.

11. RunPerryRun....Left In The Dark...Brantford Ontario combo who have been around for at least 15 years as i was informed while airing this show. Keep the calls and info coming in please!

12. Frankie and Jimmy....Just Like A Woman....from the Scream The Blues LP. The copies of the LP have arrived at F&J's Chicken Shack and the records are starting to arrive in stores right now, so be sure to pick up a copy real soon!

13. catl...Resistance Place...from the This Shakin' House LP.

14. Chris Farlowe....Voodoo...from the Buzz With The Fuzz LP on Decal Records. This is Chris' 1963 to 65 recordings, some of which were unreleased as was this particular track. Chris is still alive and well and belting out the tunes to appreciative crowds in his native UK.

15. Flight Reaction...The World Is Black...from their self titled debut LP. Swedish combo with Mans P Mannson of Crimson Shadows and Maggots fame.

16. Marshmallow Overcoat....Groovy Little Trip...from their recent The Very Best Of double LP. Vocalist Timothy Gassen is on the verge of releasing his latest book, The Knights Of Fuzz, the complete encyclopedia of the 80's to current garage band music. The about to be released book is over 500 pages of info, pics, discographies and trivia for us garageband freaks. I've seen/proofread part of it and there's literally a TON of essential info all in one place. Ordering details real soon!

17. Kumari...She Was Mine...from their latest single of Lost In Tyme Records from Greece.

18. Young Rival...Black Is Good....from a recent CFMU download, the MacMaster University Radio station in Hamilton Ontario.

19. Foot In Cold Water...Yalla Yae...from their self titled debut LP from the early 70's. This part of our show is on so called cheesy Canuck combos as there was a discussion of this on facebook recently. What i've done, is played the much better, non-cheesy tune that didn't get played on AM radio. Foot In Cold Water had a hit on Canadian radio called Make Me Do Anything You Want....wimpy poppy orchestrated cheese. Yalla Yae is more along the lines of Arthur Brown meets Deep Purple.

20. The Guess Who....It's My Pride....from the self titled LP on Birchmount. The Guess Who released a lotta crap, but i like to blame it all on guitarist Domenic Troiano, the Canadian destroyer of bands...ie James Gang and The Guess Who. He was a talented guitar player but as soon as he joined a band they quite often went down the tubes. My opinion only as others regard him highly.

21. The Stampeders....Wild Eyes...early 70's single. These guys were on constant rotation on Canadian AM radio in the early 70's with Sweet City Woman. But they could rock out live as i remember catching them at the Western Fair here in sleepy London Ontario sometime in the 80's.

22. Platinum Blonde...No Regrets...self released single from when they were a punk combo. From their they changed into a Police tribute band and finally into a hairspray and makeup pretty boy combo that pre-teen girls liked....maybe that was what the band was into. I remember seeing them a few times at the Cedar Lounge in the late 70's/early 80's and they were really good until they became Police clones.

23. Ugly Ducklings...Just In Case You Wonder...1966 7" and did not get the airplay of their wimply ballad, Gaslight, which brought them some fame on AM radio. Avoid Gaslight and dig up their debut LP as it's a killer!! BTW Just In Case was one of the very first singles i bought as a kid and severely warped my musical taste of lack thereof.

24. Chilliwack....Lonesome Mary....from their Segue LP. Dunno why these guys were linked with cheesy Canadian combos as they had a powerpop edge in the 70's. This and Fly At Night still rank as some of my fave pre-punk Canuck songs that got radio airplay. Had to cut this short as we ran outta time but certainly not tunes.

Big thanx for all the phone ins during this show as we could barely keep up with the calls! And thanx for the emails, facebook messages and Heys!!
      Back in a few weeks as Ryan In The Red takes over.

And here's a link to the archived show:

• August 10, 2014 12:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bon , c'est bon , bon bon , c'est bon , bon , bon c'est ba ba ba bon , bon......

Was Dave Rave even IN Teenage Head ? I know he recorded with them......

He played here , once , at the IPO as part of an all - Canadian revue , headlined by The Kings (Who always bring the rock , even tho' the biggest crowd I've seen 'em play to in Chicago was about 40 people. Yes , they had a big hit(s) in the states , which was a big party anthem for yonks , but , they can't get arrested here , and love playing , anyway.).

Dave did'nt do much for me , sorry to say. First song was great , but , the rest of his set was...OK.

• August 10, 2014 12:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I MEANT , WAS HE EVER IN TEENAGE HEAD ? IT WOULD'NT SURPRISE ME , BUT I'D NEVER HEARD THAT HE WAS.....

• August 21, 2014 11:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles asked about Dave Rave:

I MEANT , WAS HE EVER IN TEENAGE HEAD ? IT WOULD'NT SURPRISE ME , BUT I'D NEVER HEARD THAT HE WAS.....

Yes, Dave Rave was in Teenage Head for many years. He was actually in the band at the very beginning for a short time when the band was forming.

He re-joined many years later as rhythm guitar, background vocals and first appeared on the Trouble In The Jungle LP. Around the release of this LP, things started to dis-integrate and Frankie had to leave due to his problems. Dave Rave was suddenly lead vocalist of the band. This lineup of the band recorded the Electric Guitar LP and the Can't Stop Shakin' 12" EP. They also released a couple of singles with this lineup. A year or so after this LP, the band packed it in....Dave Rave went into Dave Rave Conspiracy from  there.

Dave was probably in the band about 4 or 5 years and maybe 2 or 3 of those years he was lead vocalist. For some reason, history (read the internet) doesn't seem to acknowledge this time period. I remember seeing them at least 3 or more times with Dave as lead vocalist and have some live tapes to prove it. They were still a rockin' band with Dave as vocalist, but the unpredictability/charisma of Frankie was missing during this time.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

• August 29, 2014 6:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Aug 28 2014

First show back after some forced time off. Big Thanx to Ryan In The Red (aka RJ) for manning the dials and pots and playing some cool garage rock that we all dig!! You can catch Ryan at the garagepunk hideout doing his show Rock City Madness on a fairly regular basis.

1. The Mogs....Swamp Love...from the El'Mogamundo CD on What Wave Records. Defunct Burlington Ontario combo, brainchild of our good pal Rob Munro (RIP).

2. Royal Crowns...Heavenly Body From Outerspace...from the 32 Miles To Memphis CD from about 10 years ago. Royal Crowns will be at the London Music Club on saturday night and feature Teddy Fury, from The Bop Cats.

3. O Lendario Chucrobillyman...Nothing To Choose...from the Mad Monkey CD on Off Label Records from Germany. This is the start of a special on Off Label Records, self described as a small label, but sure has a lot of cool releases!! This one man band is from Brazil, touring the world, spreading the madness that we all love!! 2013

4. O Lendario Chucrobillyman...Chicken Strange...from The Chicken Album CD on Off Label Records. This guy has a chicken obsession as both CD's have songs with Chicken in the title.

5. Jonah Gold and His Silver Apples....Hard Working Man...from the Pollute The Airwaves CD on Off Label Records. Hard indeed, from this German combo who have that chug and ramble feel the Velvet Underground perfected. 2014

6. Pea and The Pees....Read Between The Lines...from the Golden Treasures CD on Off Label Records. German combo, 2014.

7. The Vagoos...Cease...from their self titled debut CD from 2014 and this was my first taste of the Off Label Records. Totally demonic fuzz on this tune that blows my mind each spin. German combo.

8. Lynx Lynx....Paisley Girl...demo for an upcoming release on Off Label Records. Another German combo, this one is a bit noisier than the above on the rest of this demo.

9. Marshmallow Overcoat...Beverly Pepper...from The Very Best Of double LP. Vocalist Tim Gassen has just released his third edition of The Knights Of Fuzz book. Well over 500 pages and once our copy arrives, we'll get Tim on the air to talk about this book. I can't wait for my copy to show up!!

10. The React...Only Living For You...recent single on La Ti Da Records outta Vancouver. Really really nice power pop with a garagey feel to it.

11. The Liggs...It's Not You Babe...new demo from this Brantford Ontario based combo.

12. The Mongrels...All Systems Go...Radio WW Session from May 2/2013. The Mongrels host the monthly Rock'n'Roll Rent Party at the APK here in sleepy London Ontario. Next edition happens Sunday Sept 7 at 3PM in the afternoon. Opening will be Westminster Park and some clown named whatwave dave is the MC. See ya at the show!

13. Dave Rave...4th Of July...brand new demo from our good pal Dave Rave!

14. Hurricane And Able...Such A Star...from the brand new download The Beginning Or... This is a combo featuring our pal Shawn Larouge (Space Slave, Fine Print and many other bands) that is mainly a studio band. They played out for the very first time a few months back in Toronto. London soon we hope!

15. Flesh Rag...Night Stalker...from the Too Fucked Up cassette. Brand new Hamilton Ontario combo featuring former Rocket Reducer and current Mystic Matt!

16. The Vibrators...Baby Baby...from the Guilty LP. The Vibrators (Eddie) were in town the night this show aired.

17. The Vibrators...London Girls...from the Pure Mania LP. Played the shit out of this record when it came out back in 1977 and it still gives me a boner to this day!!Pure punk influenced powerpop at its finest!!

18. Iron Prostate...Rock'n'Roll Nursing Home...from the Loud Fast and Aging Rapidly LP from 1991 on Skyclad Records. This goes out to bass player Charles M Young who passed away last week. Chuck to his pals, was the first journalist to bring The Ramones, Sex Pistols and many other punk combos into mainstream media as he wrote for Rolling Stone Magazine back in the late 70's. Charles understood the music and introduced so many of us to the Ramones for the very first time! Read his 1976 interview with the band and you can tell he got it, long before the rest of us!

19. Iron Prostate...No Class...as above.

20. Noble Savages...Music Will Kill You...from their self titled debut.This song sums up so much.

21. Simply Saucer...Dance The Mutation....from the recent Baby Nova 12". Yep, i can dance the mutation as it's one of only 2 dances i know, the other being the pogo!

22. Ding Dongs....Ding Dong Party...from their 2010 debut LP on Norton Records. Norton Road show is coming to Toronto this sunday, with a rare appearance by The Ding Dongs. Bloodshot Bill and Mark Sultan make up this combo.

23. Ding Dongs....Are You Ready?....from their 2013 LP, Rang Tang Ding Dong on Norton Records.

24. Daddy Long Legs...Coming After Me...from their 2012 LP, Evil Eye On You on Norton Records. DLL and label honcho  Miriam Linna will also be part of the Norton Road Show. If you're in Toronto on sunday, the El Mocambo is the place to be for this extravaganza!! Norton brought the road show to sleepy London Ontario in the spring of 1991 and you shoulda been there!!

Thanx for all the well wishes the last coupla weeks!! I now have a laser eye so i can see through most clothing and around corners! It's just so great to be able to see outta both eyes!!

And a big thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! That's what makes it all worthwhile!!

Back next week with some special guests, some of the members of The Boy From Nowhere are going to be doing some kind of acoustic show live onair as they prepare for their reunion show the next night at APK. More details as they come in, but as always, we just go with the flow, which is generally downwards and around the bend!!

You can catch the archived show at:

• August 29, 2014 7:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did'nt know about Charles M. Young. Living in once - Deadhead infested Rogers Park , Chicago , I sure got my kicks spinning "Bring Me The Head of Jerry Garcia". There was another great Deadhead - bashing song called "Do The Jerkoff" by Dimentia 13 , when they , too , were based in Rogers Park - "Camping out , smelling like trout , is'nt that what life is all about ? It's a marathon at The Ticketron.....". Sadly , it was never released. 

The Vibrator(s) are playing just  few blocks away from here in September....It's not the same without Knox , though. I understand , they need to make a living, and the other two guys have put in their time , but , the one time I saw the latterday lineup , they sounded like a Vibrators cover band. 

• August 30, 2014 8:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Read somewhere that Knox has had health issues and that's why he's not touring. But without Knox, to me it ain't The Vibrators.  And prior to the show, i was listening to a recent Vibrators LP of cover tunes they liked playing, and indeed it did sound like a Vibrators cover band!! Ended up not playing that record on the show for that exact reason!!

• August 30, 2014 11:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , Knox had what I heard were some pretty serious health issues a while back , but , I also heard he's doing fine , now , but has chosen not to tour with The Vibrators , anymore.

Also , he must be about 70 , by now. Touring must be a bitch. Some people can do it.

He still records with them , occasionally. But , you know , he was the whole personality of the group. The one time I saw the band , sans Knox (The word had'nt got out , yet , about his illness.), they soldiered on , they were trying , but , they needed a frontman , and if Knox was unavailable , they needed a ringer, in my opinion. Another Lead Singer /Guitarist might add a new dimension , but , it's like The Buzzcocks without Pete Shelley.

Knox is a super nice guy , too. Very funny and pleasant . Those are the ones you remember.   

• September 6, 2014 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 4 2014

First show of the brand new school year and with that, lots and lots happening around sleepy London Ontario Canada. Brunswick Hotel reunion on saturday at APK and Boy From Nowhere reunion shows, one of which is part of the former. We talk to Jeff Mittleholtz organizer for the Brunswick Reunion as well as play a pile of live stuff recorded there over the years. For those that don't know, The Brunswick was a dive hotel located in sleepy London Ontario, that for some odd reason, became the place to hang out starting in the mid 80's until it's demise in 2008. Originally it was just a hotel with a couple of rooms (typical Sourthern Ontario separate Men's and Men's and Escorts rooms, the latter being the slightly less decrepit)on the main floor, it evolved over many years into a room for band's to play, and a pool room.

This show is dedicated to Susan Getchell, host of CHRW's Designated Driver, hands down, the best show on CHRW. Susan did her show last friday and passed away later that day. She will be missed by all.

1. The Mongrels....Do It...from a Radio WW Session from May 2013 and this sunday, Sept 7th is the second Rock'n'Roll Rent Party happening at the APK. The event starts right at 3PM as Westminster Park take the stage, followed by 2 sets of The Mongrels. Pay what you can event as the hat is passed around during the show.

2. The Mongrels...7 and 7 Is....recorded live at APK 8/3/2014 at the first Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

3. The Mongrels...All Systems Go....as above.

4. Westminster Park...Big Questions....from the Dear Honoured Listener LP. Local folk/pop duo who have released 2 LP's and will be opening this months Rock'n'Roll Rent Party. First sunday of the month.

5. Astoria...So Far Gone...from their about to be released CD, release party was the day after this show aired. Also check out the video for this song, there's a link on the Radio WW facebook page.

6. Boy From Nowhere....Good Morning LIttle School Girl....Mt Pleasant demo from the mid 80's. Boy did a reunion show the day after this show aired and will play again at the Brunswick Reunion.

7. Boy From Nowhere...Teenage Head... as above.

8. Straight Jacket...Nail Gun....demo from a London combo that played with Boy From Nowhere. Not to be confused with the Stratford Ontario combo from the early 80's with the same name.

Right about this time Jeff Mittleholtz called in to talk about the Brunswick Reunion happening tonite (when this was written). Loads of bands played the Brunswick, for many it was their first of a lifetime of gigs, others, their only club gig ever. All genres of music were exposed at this place as you can tell by some of the live tracks following. On a side note, Jeff called back later in the program to mention that Rob Munro (RIP of Mogs, Frankenstein 5, Groove Things and others) was one of the first people to jump onto the possibility of doing this reunion gig. His infectuous energy helped to get the ball rolling and i remember him talking about bringing his Mogs to this show many many months ago. We did an entire show dedicated to Rob Munro for our July 10th 2014 edition.

9. B5 Blue...Lift Up Your Hood....recorded live at the Brunswick and i stupidly didn't have the levels turned up so you could hear Jon Traut welcoming everyone to the Brunswick....live radio!

10. Evil Hoodoos...One Ugly Child...recorded live at the Brunswick 5/31/1991. This combo went through many members, some of which came and went to; Boy From Nowhere, B5 Blue, Frankenstein 5, Cheshyres and others.

11. Groove Things....unknown song....recorded live at the Brunswick 5/31/1991 (as above) and featured Rob Munro on vocals and guitar.

12. Scratchin'  Post...I Fell Down....recorded live at the Brunswick 8/13/1993. An early gig by this band that went on to bigger things in Toronto. Rob Munro played guitar in this band in it's early days.

13. Da Mogs....Bored...recorded live at the Brunswick 8/12/1995. A rare live show from Da Mogs, that became The Mogs, did a studio recording and went into hibernation for almost 20 years. Then magically re-appeared in Hamilton/Burlington Ontario in 2014 with Rob Munro, Alyssa Broere and Derek Smith as the new Mogs who released a CD earlier this year on WW Records.

14. Leather Uppers...Sexy Wizard...recorded live at the Brunswick 10/11/1991. This was one of Leather Uppers first ever shows outside of Toronto and turned out to be less than successful. London didn't get it at the time, and the band was asked not to return on the saturday night for the finish of their weekend gig. The band showed London by touring the world, releasing many records and CD's on many labels and becoming darlings of Goner Records. And you wonder why i call this place sleepy London Ontario ???

15. Pack AD...Snow....recorded live at the Brunswick 9/26/2007 and their first of many many visits to London. This was a midweek gig and went so well the band was asked to come back and they managed to fit the visit in a few days later. Now this combo tops the Exclaim charts when they release a CD but still remember the Brunswick fondly!

16. Carolyn and The Wayouts....At The Brunswick....probably the first ever tune penned about the Brunswick and you may remember this from a long gone What Wave compilation tape. Man about town Bill Barr handles the not quite sober vocals and was recorded in about 1984, long before the hipsters rolled in.

17. Drums Along The Gardiner....75...recorded live at the Brunswick 10/19/1990. Toronto combo who released one really cool 7" and appeared on many WW compilation cassettes and vinyl. And bass player Zack McBuick will recall almost coming to an untimely demise that eve on the return to WW HQ's, as a certain vocalist of another combo was driving way too fast on a wet and leave covered dead end street. Pure luck we got stopped before going into the ravine!!

18. Warren Johnson and the Drag Kings...instro....recorded live at the Brunswick 4/19/1996. No idea of the song name or who the band was/is. They played with Viv Sun and the Black Holes that eve and blew me away!!! Anyone have any info on this combo? I need to know!!

19. Frankenstein 5....Ain't Like You....recorded live at the Brunswick 6/12/1993 and was the show closer that eve. James Bond remembers this fondly and says you can hear the tambourine crumbling to bits near the end of the song....listen closely!!! And by the way, Frankenstein 5 are in the just released The Knights Of Fuzz book authored by Tim Gassen. 500 pages of info on the 80's to present garage music scene and well recommended!!

20. Possibly Stompin'...Tillsonburg...recorded live at the Brunswick 5/30/1990. This band evolved from a Stompin' Tom Connors tribute into a more country rock outfit called Positively Stompin' and released one highly aclaimed CD. Wrong time period or this combo coulda gone on to big things. Bands like this could have only come out of the Brunswick.

21. Sci-Phonics....Mystery Train...recorded live at the Brunswick 1/28/1989. The Sci-Phonics were billed as the coolest band in London Ontario and played just about everywhere a band could play here. They featured members of the legendary Uranus, Dixie Flyers and others and played a mixture of rockabilly, cajun, rock'n'roll, country and whatever else struck their fancy.

22. Lost Patrol...Is It My Body....recorded live at the Brunswick 1/19/1990. Windsor combo who played London a fair bit in this time period and released an LP in France as well as many singles and cassettes. They also appeared on many WW cassettes and records.

And that's a wrap! Hope you enjoyed these tunes and they brought back some memories. Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!
      Hope to see some of you at the Brunswick Reunion and the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party on sunday.

You can catch the archived show at:

• September 12, 2014 8:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 11/2014  Part 1 of The Knights Of Fuzz As Heard on 7" Records

Well that title is a real mouthful and speaking of full, we've got the brand new The Knights Of Fuzz book by Timothy Gassen which is absolutely full of garage music info!!! A thick 500 pager, brick sized volume, that we're going to dedicate the next several Radio WW's to!! Starting with this show, we're only going to be playing 7" records of the garagepunk variety! And this show we'll play a few bands that were highly influential to the 80's garage movement and then a few of the earlier bands (from the late 70's and onwards) that were influenced by the sounds of 60's garagepunk. Almost all of these bands are either mentioned or profiled in The Knights Of Fuzz. And we'll also have author Timothy Gassen in a phone interview to talk about the book and all things garage! But first a couple of things we didn't play last week and then we'll launch into the special

1. Great Dismal Swamis.....Phantom Tollbooth....from the 7" of the same name and we met these guys on the garagepunk hideout.  From Norfolk Virginia and they rock!

2. Frankie And Jimmy....Just Like A Woman....from the just released Scream The Blues LP. We've been waiting for this duo from Hamilton Ontario to finally release this LP and here it is!! Record release show is happening next month.

3. Marshmallow Overcoat....The Knights Of Fuzz...from the recently released double LP, The Very Best Of. And it's the name of the brand new book!

4. The Flamin' Groovies...Shake Some Action...this particular version was released in 1980 on Line Records from Germany. Line Records released many, many fine 80's garage records as well as many 60's re-issues back in the late 70's and early 80's. The Flamin' Groovies were one of the few, if not only combo that were full on 60's sounds in the mid 70's. Outcast from the mainstream sounds in the US and treated with only a little more respect from the beginnings of the punk scene in the UK, they were always a band out of step with the times! But that sure didn't stop them from remaining true to their sounds and to us diehard fans!! They 've been around since the late 60's and as recently as a few months ago, were touring the world once again. I finally got to see them in Toronto last fall and they did NOT disappoint!!! One of my fave shows of all time!!!

5. The Flamin' Groovies....You Tore Me Down....from Bomp Records (1975) and the very first record on this label!! Head Bomper Greg Shaw was managing The Flamin' Groovies at the time and was predicting big things for them! The big thing was the start of a new record label that would spawn tons of garage, powerpop, punk and new wave records and become a highly influential label in the North American punk/new wave scene! Greg would go on to form the VOXX label that would release literally tons of garage and psychedelic records in the 80's and into the 90's. Greg Shaw was also the guy behind the highly influential zine, Who Put The Bomp (try and grab some original copies from the late 70's/early 80's and be prepared to be amazed! Or grab either of the 2 books on Bomp that came out in the last couple of years). Greg was also the guy behind the Pebbles series of re-issue LP's of 60's garage and psych that started coming out in the late 70's. The Knights Of Fuzz is dedicated to Greg who passed away in 2004.

6. The Flamin' Groovies...Him Or Me...the flip side of the above 7".

7. Ramones....I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend....Norton Records and from a 1975 Marty Thau produced demo. Another combo that was influential to many many bands and this demo has that cool 60's sound to it as the Ramones were huge fans of 60's bubble gum and girl group sounds! Norton is another excellent record label that has released some 60's compilations and TONS of other cool and essential sounds!! Never a dud on this record label!

8. The Cramps....Surfin' Bird....1978 Vengeance. The Cramps were another hugely influential band to many, not just the garage and psych combos that came after! Spin their second LP, Psychedelic Jungle (from 1981) and you'll hear fuzz oozing out all over your floor!! One of my all time fave LP's.
      9. DMZ....You're Gonna Miss Me...Crypt Records from 1986 but recorded live in 1978. One of the first combos to tie 60's and 70's punk together to come up with their unique for the time sound!! An adreneline rush each spin! DMZ made it onto a major label, but the sound was tamed down a notch or so! Vocalist/keyboardist Monoman surfaced in the highly rated Lyres whom you'll be hearing on a later edition of this special. From Boston. And Crypt Records is the home of my alltime fave 60's compilation series, Back From The Grave!! New volumes coming out this fall!!

Right around this time, we had Timothy Gassen on to talk and talk and talk about the brand new The Knights Of Fuzz Book. Thanx for taking time out of your busy day to talk to us Timothy!!

10. The Slickee Boys....Gotta Tell Me Why....1979 on Limp Records. These guys (and gal) started with the 60's sounds in the mid 70's and released many, many fine records over the years. Based in Washington DC, they toured very rarely but did really well on home turf! One of the earliest to play these sounds and this particular song blows me away every time i hear it!

11. The Diodes...Red Rubber Ball...CBS Records 1977. This was the first of the so called punk/new wave records to come out of Canada and it sounds way more like 60's garage to these ears!! The Diodes were from Toronto and definitely had a 60's influence to their powerpop/new wave sounds!

12. The B Girls...Fun At The Beach....1979 Bomp Records. Toronto all girl combo that were grouped in with the punk/new wave combos of the time, but listening now, they sure do sound like a 60's combo to me. There was supposed to be an LP released on Bomp, but that never happened and in the late 90's, there was a CD released on OPM Records called Who Says Girls Can't Rock? that collected some unreleased, live and the 2 songs from this single.  Drummer Marcy Saddy was from right here in sleepy London Ontario!

13. Hi-Fis....I Don't Know Why....Show Time Records late 70's/early 80's...Only 7" this combo released and it sure sounds like a certain British combo from the early to mid 60's! This Toronto band broke up and a couple of the members formed the long running Blue Rodeo that is still around.

14. Segarini....People Are Strange....1979 Bomb Records....Bob Segarini had previously been in The Wackers and then moved to Toronto to start a solo career with a powerpop sound. This is a live track and many of his recordings have some 60's sounds to them. His first solo LP, Gotta Have Pop is the one to start with.

15. Count Bishops....Route 66...from the Speedball EP from 1975 on Chiswick Records.....The Count Bishops released several LP's, all of which have that 60's punk sounds and this is their very first release. Features vocalist Mike Spenser who later went on to form The Cannibals who will start our next show in this series!

Big Thanx to Timothy Gassen for phoning in to talk about The Knights Of Fuzz book! And thanx for all the crazy phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!
      I've been having a blast digging throught my 7" records to find stuff to play for this series, and there's a TON of stuff that i've just gotta play over the next few show!! So many cool records you gotta hear!!

Ryan In The Red will be filling in next week, and you can catch his regular show, Rock City Madness on the garagepunk hideout. Part 2 of this series will resume on Thursday Sept 25th at 6PM ET!!

And here's a link to the podcast which will only be up 2 weeks:

• September 26, 2014 6:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 25/2014. The Knights of Fuzz As Heard On 7" Records Part 2

This is the second show in our garagepunk 7" record series to announce the release of Timothy Gassen's excellent book, The Knights Of Fuzz. Part 1 ran on Sept 11th and introduced some of the bands that helped to create and define this scene. This week we carry on chronologically, starting out in the UK.

1. Marshmallow Overcoat....The Knights Of Fuzz.....from The Very Best of double LP and the title of the book and show.
      2. The Cannibals....Good Guys....1977 7" on Big Cock Records. Mike Spenser left The Count Bishops to form this combo who have released many records over the years and still play the occasional show. The originators of the garagepunk scene in the UK and this record is one that is in John Peel's box of favourite singles!

3. The Barracudas....His Last Summer....1980 on Wipeout Records. Singer Jeremy Gluck came from Ottawa Canada and along with Robin Wills formed this combo in the late 70's. Another long lasting band that once in a blue moon does a reunion show or 2. We had the pleasure of Jeremy Gluck a few years back when he brought a bunch of Ottawa youngsters along to play at The Black Shire Pub here in sleepy London Ontario.

4. The Barracudas....I Wish It Could Be 1965 Again...EMI 1980 and the song that epitomizes the garagepunk movement!

5. The Romantics...First In Line...1978 on Bomp Records. Detroit combo who did quite well for themselves over the years, and their early material was heavily influenced by The Kinks, Easybeats, Standells etc.

6. The Droogs....Garden Of Your Mind....1981 on Plug'n'Socket. West coast combo who had been banging out the garage sounds since 1973. Their early singles were collected on a German LP released by Music Maniac Records and it's essential if you dig these sounds!

7. The Chesterfield Kings....I'm Going Home...Mirror Records 1984. Formed in 1979 and lasted up till 2009, these guys are not only one of the most widely known combos in the garagepunk scene, but many consider the originators!  They've released many singles, LP's and CD's and gone through era of surf, glam, Stones and even hard rock, but have always come back to the 60's sounds that we all know and love them for.

8. The Hypstrz....Action Woman....Bogus Records 1979. Minneapolis maniacs that play faster and louder than just about any other combo in this scene! They also released an LP on Bomp Records and reform every once in awhile to put on killer shows that have lost none of the energy of their original recordings!!

9. Hypstrz....Hey Joe....as above....just one more then we go bye bye!

10. Simply Saucer....I Can Change My Mind....Pig Records 1978. Hamilton Ontario combo who started out in a Kinkish/Creation/pop kinda vibe and moved into heavy Syd era Pink Floyd meets Krautrock meets insanity type of sounds! They've released a new record just recently.

11. The Shakers...Out The Door...Warpt Records 1979. Another Hamilton Ontario combo, similar to Rockpile in that they played a mixture of rock'n'roll, powerpop and garage.

12. Pointed Sticks....What Do You Want Me To Do?....Quintessence 1978. Vancouver combo who were closely associated with the punk scene of the time, but were more powerpop/new wave/garage/dance sounding.

13. Pointed Sticks...Real Thing....Quintessence 1979. as above.

14. Pointed Sticks...Out Of Luck....Stiff 1979. They were slated to release an LP on Stiff Records but it never did come out.

15. The Last....She Don't Know Why I'm Here....Bomp 1978. They released several other singles and several LP's, but this is my absolute fave The Last tune!!

16. The Crawdaddys...Lolette....VOXX 1980. Released 2 LP's on BOMp/VOXX of wailin' R&B vintage Stones, Dowliners, Pretty Things sounds and enticed a teenage youngster from the UK to join on bass. That youngster, Mike Stax went on to form The Tell Tale Hearts, Hoods, Loons and others as well as create the amazing Ugly Things zine that still comes out 2X a year and is an essential read for fan of this (and many other kinds of cool) music!!

17. The Unclaimed....Run From Home....Moxie Records 1980. Moxie Records was the home of the Boulders series of 60's punk re-issues, as well as the starting point for many cool 80's garagepunk combos. The Unclaimed spawned The Long Ryders and Thee Fourgiven. And they made their first appearance in many many years just a month or so ago.

18. The Fleshtones....The World Has Changed...IRS 1981. They've been doing the rock'n'roll/garage/fratrock/dance thing since 1976 and there's no end in sight. Countless releases, live shows and even a book, Sweat about the band. The Greatest living live band on the planet!!! Ask anyone that's seen The Fleshtones!

19. Taxi Boys....Down To You...Star Rhythm Records. You might know them by their real name, The Real Kids from Boston. They've been around since the mid 70's and just recently got back together to release another LP, the first in many years!

20. Electric Roaches....Don't Wanna Know....Aller Retour Records. No date, from Montreal. Almost nothing is known of this combo who made their own song from I Can Only Give You Everything.

21. Deja Voodoo....Monsters In My garage...self released 1982. Deja Voodoo were a 2 piece outta Montreal that invented the music known as sludegabilly. They also formed the highly influential record label, OG Records, home of The Gruesomes, Vindicators, many others and the It Came From Canada series of LP's in the late 80's.

22. The Shakers...Shake Some Action....Warpt Records....see #11 above as we add some more Canadian content to this show.

23. Cunts....There Are Electrical Filaments In My Hamburger....1982 Disturbing Records. From Chicago and they released many fine singles starting in about 1978...In later years there were a few LP's and then CD's, all very cool and well worth searching out.

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Hope everyone enjoyed this show and remember to turn in for Part 3 next week.
      Here's a link to the archived show:

• October 3, 2014 8:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 2/2014  The Knights of Fuzz As Heard On 7" Records Part 3

We continue our special on the recently released Knights Of Fuzz book (Timothy Gassen...as if you didn't know) and the musical soundtrack for the book. Lots of better known combos that started in the 80's as well as a sojourn to Sweden on this week's show.

1. Pacanomad....Heaven Can Wait...from their brand new CD and they will be playing at our monthly Rock'n'Roll Rent Party this sunday, Oct 5th at APK, 3 till 7 PM.

2. The Mongrels...All Systems Go....from their Radio WW Session and they are the resident combo of the monthly Rock'n'Roll Rent Party....hope to see some of you on sunday.

3. Marshmallow Overcoat....The Knights Of Fuzz....from their double Best Of Lp that came out recently and the title of the book.

4. Yard Trauma....No Conclusion....1983 7" on Dionysus Records, the label of bass player Lee Joseph. And that label is still active to this day releasing really cool records!

5. Plan 9...5 Years Ahead Of My Time....1983 7" in which this song continues on to the flip side. We only played the first side. Plan 9 made many trips to sleepy London Ontario starting in the mid 80's through to the early 90's....different members, sounds and styles each time, but always enjoyable and fun!

6. The Fuzztones...Bad News Travels Fast...from their very first 7" on Zulu Records and they are still active to this day! The Fuzztones played the Key West here in London in the late 80's to a packed and appreciative crowd.

7. The Nomads....Night Time...1982 and the beginning of our trip to Sweden, which had an AMAZING garage scene in the 80's!! We just scratched the surface of the Swedish scene in this set.

8. Crimson Shadows....You Can't Come Down....1985 and features Mans P Mansson who later went on to The Maggots and many others and his latest combo, Flight Reaction just released an LP this summer!

9. Backdoor Men....Dance Of The Savages....1985. Singer/guitarist Robert went on to The Creeps, a band that released one absolute Killer LP before hitting the mainstream with a dance oriented sound. This one LP defines the 80's garage sound and was even released here in Canada on Star Records.

10. Cornflake Zoo...Hey Conductor....1985. More Swedish insanity.

11. Stomach Mouths....Don't Put Me Down 1985. This band released an LP on Bomp Records as Greg Shaw thought so highly of them.

12. Miracle Workers....Hung Up....1984. From their first record, on Moxie Records, which was the home of the Boulders series of 60's garage compilations. Owner Dave Gibson would cut his own masters on his own record lathe, hand draw many of the covers and do just about everything else himself.

13. Miracle Workers...You Don't Know....the second song from the above EP. Miracle Workers would release many killer records before moving off into a hard rock/Stooges type of sound.

14.The Pandoras...That's Your Way Out....1984, from their first record on Moxie Records. An all girl combo, they would release several killer records before going in a metal/pop/glam direction. Vocalist/guitarist/leader Paula Pierce passed away in 1991, but not before visiting sleepy London Ontario 2 or 3X. As always, the first time is the best time.

15. The Pandoras....Why....as above, the 2nd song on the EP.

16. The Gruesomes....Jack The Ripper Part 1....Primitive Records and i managed to play this at 45RPM, not 33. It wouldn't be Radio WW without a couple of fuckups! The Gruesomes were Canada's most  known garage combo of the 80's and would top the college radio charts across the nation while playing to packed houses! Always fun and entertaining, these youngsters played sleepy London Ontario many times, always staying at WW HQ's and eating all of our junk food and playing Beatles videos for hours on end.

17. The Gruesomes....Jack The Ripper Part 2....second song on this EP, and i managed to shift down to 33 RPM right at the beginning.

18. 10 Commandments...Suddenly....From Toronto and started around the same time as The Gruesomes, releasing records on their own label, Sensible Records.

19. The Dundrells....Nothing On TV....1987. Toronto combo who put on high energy live shows.

20. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Customized....froma 1986 EP. Toronto instro combo who weren't really part of the garage scene, or any other scene for that matter, so they created their own. Best known for their music being featured on the weekly TV show, Kids In The Hall.

21. Uranus...Secret Agent Man....1980 Trilogy. From sleepy London Ontario Canada and these guys had a top 10 hit with Maybe Baby and this is the flip. Not part of the garage scene but this song certainly fits in and they were more of a rock'n'roll combo when it wasn't cool to be that.

22. Plasticland....Rat Tail Combo....1983. Milwaukee, and maybe all of North America's finest psych combo in the 80's!!  Their early records are essential for fans of this style of music.

23. The Cynics.... No Place To Hide....1985. One of their first records, and this combo from Pittsburgh is still active to this day. They have their own label, Get Hip Records which has released literally TONS of cool records over the years. We'll be playing some more Cynics, probably next week if time permits.

Thanx for the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Hey's!!!!  Back again next week with Part 4 of this series.....we ran outta time as The Lyres, a highly influential combo of the scene were about to be played.

Sunday Oct 5th, 3PM at APK is Rock'n'Roll Rent Party....come on out if you can as it's always a blast!

Here's a link to the podcast:

• October 11, 2014 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist, Oct 8/2014. Paul Revere RIP

A brief hiatus from the Knights Of Fuzz As Heard On 7" Records series as we pay tribute to Paul Revere of Paul Revere and The Raiders. A HUGELY influential combo on the garage music scene as well as on popular music in the mid 60's. Paul Revere passed away last weekend at the age of 76, just recently retired (Aug 2014 due to poor health) from his life long committment.
      And a quick tribute to Lou Whitney (The Symptoms, Skeletons, Morrells as well as producer/enginner to everyone from Dave Alvin, Jonathan Richman, Del Lords, Andy Shernoff and so many others) the midwest based musical genius who gave so much to rock'n'roll.

1. The Original Symptoms....Hey....from a 1980 7" on Ambition Records, featuring our hero, Lou Whitney on bass and song writing.

2. Evil Hoodoos....Just Like Me....recorded live at the Electric Banana 6/20/1991, another short lived and long forgotten venue here in sleepy London Ontario. Evil Hoodoos featured James Bond on the keyboards (check facebook for the picture of James and Paul Revere!) and Wailin' Wayne Pattern on vocals. Wayne was in legendary Toronto combo The Cheshyres and is back playing with a new band in Vancouver.

3. Legend Killers...Steppin' Stone...1986 demo and the most demented and best cover of this song that Paul Revere and The Raiders recorded first (prior to The Monkees).

4. Paul Revere and the Raiders....Like Long Hair....from a rarities cassette and their first semi hit.

5. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Legend Of Paul Revere....from a Columbia 7" and this tells the story of the band from its humble beginnings.

6. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Kicks...from the Midnight Ride LP and this is from a mono version of the LP.

7. Paul Revere and The Raiders....There's Always Tomorrow...as above.

8. Paul Revere and The Raiders....You Can't Sit Down....from the Here They Come! LP, again in mono. This is the band live and on fire!

9. Paul Revere and The Raiders...Good Thing....from the Spirit of 67 LP, again in mono. Just love the guitar work on this song and The Ventures also covered this tune on their Guitar Freakout LP.

10. Paul Revere and the Raiders....Hungry....from a stereo 7" as i had to flip the above LP over to play the song following....remember, this is live radio, fuckups and all!

11. Paul Revere and the Raiders...The Great Airplane Strike...again, from the mono Spirit of 67 LP.

12. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Louie Louie...from the Greatest Hits LP, one of the best rock records ever! The Raiders and Kingsmen both recorded Louie Louie around the same time, The Kingsmen had the hit!

13. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Louie Go Home...as above.

14. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Steppin' Out....as above.

15. Paul Revere and The Raiders....Just Like Me... as above.

And that's a wrap as our show was shortened due to Mustang Sports happening. Huge thanx to all the phone ins during this show, the phone just kept lighting up as so many of us are big Paul Revere and The Raiders fans!! We only got to see them once, right here in London Ontario at the yearly Western Fair. The band was playing the grandstand and it was a packed and appreciative audience! The band rocked and rolled, told jokes, told stories and the history of not only the band, but the 60's pop scene and how they fit in! One of the best and most memorable shows ever!!

We'll be back next week with Part 4 of The Knights Of Fuzz As Heard On 7" Records.

• October 17, 2014 5:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 16/2014  The Knights Of Fuzz As Heard on 7" Records Part 4

We continue with our tribute to Timothy Gassen's book, The Knights Of Fuzz via the 7" record only. No LP's, CD's digital files, cassettes etc, this is strictly a 7" record show.

1. The Ugly Ducklings....That's Just A Thought That I Had In My Mind....from mid 60's York Town 7" and a good way to start the show as The Ugly Ducklings are among the influences to many of the bands we're about to hear.

2. The Cynics...I'm In Pittsburgh And It's Raining....Get Hip 7". The Cynics from Pittsburgh have been around sinc e 1985 and released many many 7", LP's and CD's. They even formed their own record label, Get Hip, which is no a distributor as well as one of the coolest record labels around.

3. The Lyres....How Do You Know?...New Rose 1987 7". They started as DMZ in the mid 70's, playing garagepunk way before anyone knew what it was. Through constant member changes with only one constant, Jeff Conolly, they became The Lyres and continue to this day doing sporadic gigs.

4. The Hysteric Narcotics...Wild As Soul ...Tremor Records 1985. Detroit combo that released a couple of singles, a flexi and a full length that Timothy Gassen raves about in The Knights Of Fuzz book. They actually played here in sleepy London Ontario at The Key West Cafe 10/12/1986. As i remember it, this was our first time to this venue as it had been open only a couple of months. There was a really good turn out to check out this band from Detroit. I remember yelling out for one of their early songs that i'd heard somewhere and the band looked at me in a way that said, 'how the hell does this guy know our songs?' as they were in London for what became their only time....great live band and live audio of that gig survives.

5. Thee Milkshakes...Don't Destroy Me....Unique Records. Featuring the overly prolific Billy Childish who was in such bands as The Pop Rivetts, Thee Headcoats, Mighty Caesers, many others as well as solo projects. Anything with Billy Childish on it is worth giving a listen!

6. The Prisoners...Hurricane....Big Beat 1983. One of those UK bands that shoulda broke out and become big as they had mod, punk, garage and soul influences. Combine that with the frenetic keyboards and these guys shoulda broke into the mainstream. They released many LP's and members continue to this day in other equally good combos. We've played the latest release from bassist Allen Crockford's Galileo 7 many times.

7. Bananamen....The Crusher...Hava Banana 1983. UK band who were rumoured to be The Cramps when this first came out as they do all tunes The Cramps have covered. More likely The Stingrays in disguise and they feature a young Alec Palao who has gone onto fame as a compiler, archivist, writer, producer, engineer and fill in musician for many a cool vintage combo (Chocolate Watchband, Flamini Groovies and others).

8. The Gruesomes...Things She Does To Me....Primitive Records. Montreal combo who topped the alternative music charts here in Canada back in the late 80's. They released 3 LP's and a 12" in addition to this 7" and were on many compilations. Pretty well everything has been re-ished by Ricochet Sound from Montreal.

9. The Gruesomes....No More Lies....as above.

10. The Cryptics....You're Evil....Primitive 1992. Montreal combo obviously influenced by The Gruesomes. They only released this one 7", but what a Killer!

11. The Dogs....Shakin' With Linda....Epic 1982.  Formed in France in 1973 but didn't release any vinyl until the punk era hit and they were absorbed by that faction. They moved more into a 60's garage/pop sound releasing many great LP's and singles. They finally made it to North America in the fall of 2002, on support with Rick Blaze and The Ball Busters. The only original member, Dominique Laboubee who played guitar and sang was not well coming over for the tour. He thought he had pneumonia and would be able to do the tour. At their first show in Worcester (just outside Boston) on 9/25/2002, Dominique was only able to play the opening song and then left the stage ill. He went to the hospital and found out he had lung cancer. The Dogs continued on with their short tour, obviously hoping that Domique would be able to join them later but that was not the case and he passed away 10/10/2002, only days after being admitted. One of the saddest tales in rock'n'roll as The Dogs were often referred to as the best rock'n'roll bands  in France during their tenure and coming to America was in their dreams.

12. The Bogeymen....Candy....Fascination. France had and still has an amazing appreciation for real rock'n'roll and The Bogeymen prove it. 60's R&B influences abound on this and their other releases.

13. The Dukes....She'll Be Mine...Kavern 7. German combo endorsed by Terry  Gibson (former Downliners Sect member) and they released a couple of singles and an LP, like The Bogeymen they were into early 60's R&B sounds. Kavern 7 Records was an Australian record label run by Dean Mittelhauser who also published the Livin' End zine. Another archivist, historian, record label guy who unfortunatly passed away way too early.

14. The Chud....Don't Call Me Batman....Twang Records. Another German combo as the appreciation for garage music has always been high in Germany. Many artists of the genre end up living in Berlin and making a living at it. The Chud released at least one LP which features a multicoloured splash on the record.

15. The Raymen....Chosen One....Giant Claw. Yet another German combo on an Australian record label. The Raymen have been around since the early 80's and continue to this day, and are now in a slower spooky country mood. Singer Hank Ray has one of the most distinct singing voices with his ultra low baritone.

16. Lost Patrol....No Escape...Ali Records 1986. Windsor Ontario combo who played sleepy London Ontario many times over the years. They changed personel, and later recordings feature the Janis Joplin like vocals of Karen Marrero. This lineup released a couple more singles, cassettes and even an LP on a record label from France.

17. Lost Patrol....South Africa....as above.

18. Mr Haney's Revenge....Justine   Ali Records 1991. A one off project of some of the members and former members of Lost Patrol along with other Windsor musicians. Mr Haney of course references the 60's TV drama Green Acres.

19. Drums Along The Gardiner....75  Miracle 1988. Toronto combo who played an odd for the time mixture of punk, garage, metal and novelty songs all wrapped up in a jaw dropping live show. They released a cassette or 2, a CD and appeared on several compilations, but this is their only record.

20. The Cheepskates...Run Better Run...5 & 10 Records 1983. One of the earliers of the 60's influenced combos to emerge from NYC. They were more pop influenced than most of the other bands on this scene (Outta Place, Fuzztones, Tryfles, Maneaters, Vipers) and released several LP's, all the while moving in a more pop oriented direction. They did manage to play sleepy London Ontario twice, and at the Key West show set the place ablaze with their frenetic pop oriented rock'n'roll. Audio and pictures survive of this show.

21. The Leopards....Psychedelic Boy....VOXX 1986. Kinks inspired put down of the 60's scene and the crowd that lives it. Politics rears it's head in the tiny garagepunk scene. The Leopards released a couple of LP's, all top notch material and were on Greg Shaw's VOXX label. Greg passed away 10 years ago this week.

22. Royal Nonesuch....You Need Love...self released 1987. Springfield Missouri's only garagepunk combo and they created their own scene and brought touring bands to play it. Guitarist Mad Jon later moved out west to join the Tell Tale Hearts.

23. Royal Nonesuch....Two Can Play That Game.....Get Hip 1990. They were darlings of the scene during their tenure, but unfortunatly few recordings exist and Get Hip attempted to remedy the situation.

24.The Lust O Rama....Do Bee Doo....That's Entertainment 1990. From Norway and part of a 4 song EP. This just proves the 80's garage scene not only covered the world, but some of these bands from far away places could really rock out and were top notch as The Lust O Rama prove.

25. The Lust O Rama.....Don't Love Her....as above and faded out on this song.

Huge Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and likes and everyone that tuned in to dig the sounds!
      Next week it's an all Canadian garagepunk show and we'll not only be playing 7" records, but some live, demo, LP's and maybe even some digital tunes!

• October 24, 2014 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 23/2014....The Knights Of Fuzz Meanwhile In Canada (non 7" songs)

For this part of our never ending  The Knights Of Fuzz, we explore Canadian garage punk from about 1980 onwards, and only from compilations, demo tapes, live recordings, and album tracks. That means no 7" records this time....all the previous shows were 7" only.

1. The Gruesomes....What Wave....from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood. This is a compilation LP we compiled and was released on OG Records back in 1989. At the time, we had no idea The Gruesomes would be recording this song for the compilation, a really nice surprise!

2. The Gruesomes....Unchain My Heart....recorded live at Key West Cafe, London Ontario 1/11/87. This was The Gruesomes very first time here in London and was on a sunday night, so we weren't expecting any kind of crowd. Instead, we got a packed house of cheering and jeering drunks that had a blast! As did The Gruesomes. Next day, we hit the record and comic book stores of London for the first of The Gruesomes many visits here.

3. UIC....Jumpin' In The Night....live recording from 4/17/87 and the cassette tape jammed up about 30 seconds into the song....yep, this show was going to be a fun one as i screwed up many times. And it wouldn't be a Radio What Wave without some fuckups!

4. El Speedo....Hot Rod Rally....from their self titled cassette, thanx to drummer Marky Toad for getting this to me! Some UIC members and Purple Toad members get together to crank out some rock'n'roll!

5. The Chickens....Summer Of Love....from the Prepare To Plug In CD. 4 of the former member of UIC get together with Ken Chicken to create some absolute killer pop'n'roll!! This is from 2000 and they released one more CD before packing it in. Runners up in the Little Steven's contest to find the coolest garage band a number of years back. And one of the few bands that i would dance my ass off to in this time period. And one time, the guy dancing beside me turned out to be Pete Moss from Drums Along The Gardiner and we hadn't seen each other in years!

6. Purple Toads...Gonna Have A Good Time...from their first LP on Star Records, mid 1980's. Oshawa combo that released 2 LP's and shoulda gone on to bigger things.

7. The Mongrels...Do It....from their Radio WW Session 2013. London Ontario combo who play the first sunday of every month at APK. It's called the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party, and if you haven't checked it out, you should.

8. The Stance....Impossible Baby....from their Shall Inherit The Earth CD. Halifax combo from 2006. They released a follow up LP, that moved in a more mid 60's Brit soul meets R&B styling. Really good live combo that we got to see a coupla times live here in London Ontario.

9. The Boy From Nowhere...Teenage Head....1986 demo from this London Ontario based combo, not to be confused with The Boys From Nowhere from Columbus Ohio. This was a pure covers combo that played songs by; 13th Floor Elevators, Kinks, DMZ, Elvis, Standells, Dictators, Yardbirds and mixed in some blues. The Boy From Nowhere will be playing SUnday Nov 2nd, 3PM at APK for our Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

10. The Boy From Nowhere....Heartful Of Soul....from the compilation LP, Thee Cave Comes Alive, on Action Records from Greece 2004. This is a compilation of songs from the cassettes that came with What Wave zine back in the 80's and 90's. George Rigas picked some of the best 60's garage oriented songs and made an LP on Action Records. This was the impetus to get me back into music after several years of raising kids, renovating a house, night school and loads of other stuff.

11. Legend Killers...Cry Cry Cry....from the above Thee Cave Comes Alive. Another London Ontario combo, The Legend Killers are the only band to appear on every vinyl and cassette and CD compilation released by What Wave!! There's gotta be 12 or more cassettes and at least 3 vinyl comps, as well as one CD comp. Collect the whole series.

12. Fine Print....Remember....from a 2011 cassette release for Record Store Day. Yet another fine band from London Ontario and these guys released one CD, as well as this limited edition cassette on WW.

13. Frankenstein 5.....Go Away....from their Can You Dig It cassette. 1994 release from this London Ontario based gang of outcasts and criminals. Dedicated to guitarist Rob Munro who passed away earlier this year.

14. The Midways....Find Another Girl....from their Pay More And Get A Good Seat CD. Toronto combo from the early 2000's who also released one other CD/LP. Big in Europe, but ignored in their home land as is the case with most really cool garagepunk combos!

15. Raving Mojos....Yeah Yeah Uh Huh....1981 recording. Toronto based combo who were playing rock'n'roll when hardcore was the hipsters choice. There's some raging rock'n'roll on this recording and features a future Fleshtone in a young bass player by the name of Ken Fox.

16. The Secrets...I'll Cry Tomorrow....from their Teenage Rampage CD from 1997. This is a recording from 1979. Another out of time combo, this one playing frat rock'n'roll when 70's punk was reigning.  Critics loved the band but that doesn't sell records or get crowds out.

17. The Enigmas....Windshield Wiper....from the Strangely Wild EP. Vancouver based and released at least one other 12" EP and members went on to The Fiends and The Worst amongst others.

18. The Living Deadbeats....Lost....from their one and only LP from 2012. Vancouver combo that features a former Fiend in Pete, who coincidentally comes from London Ontario. Sadly, they just broke up, but at least they did come to London Ontario to play a coupla times!

19. The Hypnotics....Radio City....from their Static Fuzz Radio LP from 2011.  Windsor Ontario trio that features the Konstantino brothers, of which David hosts our sister radio show, Revolution Rock on CJAM out of Windsor Ontario, Saturday nights from 7 till 9PM. Great band and a great radio show!!

20. The Minstrels....Rhythm In Her Head....from the Come Out To Play EP from 1989. Another What Wave release, this time from the Quebec City trio who went on to live in many cities over their career. This is some really fine beat based power pop made for dancing!

21. The Chains....Soulin'....from the On Top Of Things CD on Get Hip Records. 2002 release from this Montreal based combo that Timothy Gassen deservedly gives really high marks to in The Knights Of Fuzz book!

22. Light Bulb Alley....Pepper Spray...from The Sound Of Things CD on Ricochet Sound from 2011. Montreal based trio that have gone through several member changes since this release and are about to release another CD in the near future.

23. Sunday Sinners....So Lonely....from the Sweet Jam CD released a few years back. Yet another Montreal based combo that we saw back at Wooly Weekend back in 2009.

24. Gerry Alvarez....Urban Shamen...from the Candy Prankster CD on Ricochet Sound.  Former Gruesome Gerry is back and he's released 2 solo CD's so far with this being his first from 2006. Quite a bit different from The Gruesomes as Gerry mines mid to late 60's Brit pop and psyche and gives it a bit of a modern feel....had to cut this short as we ran out of time.

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! Back again next week as we're into fund raising at CHRW next week. Be sure to call 519 661-3600 and pledge your support for CHRW.

• November 1, 2014 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 30/2014    Annual Fundraising Show for CHRW

This is the once a year fund raising show we do for CHRW. This year the goal is $8000 which we hope to use for the purchase of video equipment for our live to airs, general repair of the onair studio and various other things that our normal funding doesn't cover. With me during this show, was the one and only Phil A O'Soul, host of The Lucky 7 Soul Show heard every Wed at 7AM, right here on CHRW. I also did a guest slot on Phil's show and it was a blast!!
      We managed to raise $340 during the show, a HUGE thanx goes out to; Cora, Dan, Kerry. Boy From Nowhere, Rena and 2 donors who wish to remain anonymous. Thanx everyone!!

1. The Gruesomes....What Wave....from the Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP from 1989.

2. The Mongrels....All Systems Go....from a Radio WW Session from spring 2013. The Mongrels and Boy From Nowhere will be appearing at the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party happening on Sunday Nov 2 at the APK. Bell time is 3PM and The Boy From Nowhere have challenged The Mongrels to beat the $50 that they have pledged to CHRW!!

3. 905s....Running Full Speed....from a Radio WW Session from spring 2013. Coolest combo to come out of Brampton Ontario!!

4. Dynamite Pussy Club....Griddle....from a Radio WW Session from spring 2013. From Bath UK and congrats to Eddie on his recent marriage!!

5. Boy From Nowhere...Minnesota Strip....receorded live at the Town and Country, 10/5/2013. These are the guys that are playing at the APK as part of our Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

6. Boy From Nowhere...Ramblin' Rose....as above.

7. Boy From Nowhere....Train Kept A Rollin'....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24, our all local issue that came out about 2 years ago.

8. The Antiques Freakshow....No More Hot Dogs....from the Kingsville Tapes, a practice for what was going on that evening at the Black Shire Pub, featuring our Program Director, Allison Brown. Yep, it's a Hasil Adkins tune!

9. Eugene Ripper....Punks and Pushers....from the brand new Hangman promo CD. Toronto combo whom we like.

10. Roger Zuraw...Keep Your Mouth Shut....from the promo CD of the same name. Roger is from Toronto and plays outsider blues for the downtrodden and oppressed! Thanx Roger!!

11. Flying Squad....Godzilla....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with WW 24.

12. Hurricane and Able....Such A Star....from The Thin Edge OF The Wedge download. Features Londoner Shawn Larouge, a member of many bands!

13. Pacanormal....Heaven Can Wait....from the recently released Restless EP. This combo played the most recent Rock'n'Roll Rent Party and surprised a lot of folks with their sound and show!

14. Lionel Lodge....Resurrection of MV...from his recent The Agitator CD. Lionel was in London Ontario for the summer, but has moved back to Austria.

15. Fireball Grant...York Hotel....recorded live to air on our Halloween Show back in 2013. Fireball is a local one man band that plays around town and is well worth checking out.

16. Frankie and Jimmy....Let It Rock...from their Scream The Blues LP. Hamilton duo who will be in London at Black Shire Pub Nov 7th....more info on F&J and catl (who are also on the bill) on next week's show.

17. O Lendario Chucrobillyman....Chicken Flow....from the Album CD, on Fon Fon/Off Label Records. This crazy one man band is from Brazil, but tours the world.

18. The Mogs...Run Like Hell...from the El'Mogamundo! CD on WW Records. This goes out to our good pal Rob Munro who passed away this summer. This was Rob's combo that he started in the early 90's, resurrected just over a year ago, and finally released a CD.

19. Tuerto Loco....Nancy Sinatra....recorded live to air on Radio WW 5/12/2011. One of our current fave local combos that are well worth checking out!

20 Dave Rave....Anne Marie....recorded live to air on CHRW Aug 2013 when Dave Rave came to visit us live onair.

21. Legato Vipers...Spy vs Spy....from their brand new self titled release.

Big Thanx to everyone who donated to CHRW during Radio What Wave!!! Much Appreciated!!

And here's a link to listen to the archived show:

• November 7, 2014 6:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist November 6/2014

First off, Huge Thanx to everyone that came out to our monthly Rock'n'Roll Rent Party last sunday!! Not only did The Mongrels meet the challenge from the Boy From Nowhere to meet or beat their $50 pledge to CHRW, but the crowd at the event put in another $100!!!! Yep, a grand total of $150 for CHRW!! Thanx to all!

And on tonite's show, we've got a couple of special guests, we've got FenyxFyre and Tyler Stewart. FenyxFyre is a sideshow freak artist....meaning he can breathe fire, swallow swords, eat glass, stick foreign objects into his body and do tricks with chainsaws among other feats. In other words, this guy is the real deal as he's recently appeared on AMC Freakshow!!! And he is going to be appearing at an event that Tyler Stewart is promoting at Gordy's Brewhouse.

1. King Tuff....Beautiful Thing....from the Black Moon Spell CD that just came out. This CD has been stuck in my car CD player for about a week and it's quickly becoming one of my faves.

2. Giggleswitch....How Good You Look....from their VII CD. Liam, who played bass in Giggleswitch, is now in Cross The Streams, which is playing at the freak show.

3. Giggleswitch....Polythylene...as above.

4. King Tuff.....Black Holes In Stereo...from the Black Moon Spell CD.

5. catl....FU Blues....from This Shakin' House LP. catl are playing at the Black Shire Pub tonite. They rock!!

6. catl...Shakin' House Blues....as above.

7. catl....Get Outta The Car....from the This Soon Will All Be Gone LP. Originally recorded by Hasil Adkins, catl quite often play this song live and dedicate it to a DJ from this radio station.

8. Frankie And Jimmy....Hard Time Killing Floor Blues....from the Scream The Blues LP. Frankie and Jimmy are opening for catl tonite at Black Shire Pub.

9. Wilko Johnson....Keep It To Myself...from the Going Back Home CD. WIlko was diagnosed with terminal cancer and wasn't expected to live for long. He beat the cancer and is now clean!!!! Congrats to Wilko!!!! Maybe, just maybe rock'n'roll is the cure for cancer!!!

10. Cream....Dance The Night Away....from Disreali Gears LP. This goes out to Jack Bruce who passed away about a week ago. Cream were my absolute fave band back in 1968/69 and introduced me to the blues at a really young age! And this particular LP, I've owned since about 1970 and used to play the shit out of it!

11. Cream....Those Were The Days....from the Wheels Of Fire LP. Another LP I've owned since the early 70's.

12. Terminals....Spiderman....from the We Killed cassette and goes out to regular listener Dan.

Huge Thanx to FenyxFyre for coming on air, putting scissors up his nostils and for eating the light bulb. There's video on the Radio WW page on facebook.

Big thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! Back again next week, looks like a tribute to original Demic Rob Brent who passed away last night. In the process of lining up some guests for next week's show.

The show is archived at the following link:

• November 14, 2014 6:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Nov 13 2014

We've got Nick Perry (original drummer for The Demics and NFG) as a special guest as we remember Robert Brent, original guitarist for London Ontario's first punk band, The Demics. Rob passed away last week...so this week we play many Demics tunes with Rob on guitar.

1. The Demics....Oh Well....from the New York City CD on OPM Music from 1996, as are all The Demics tunes that follow. This is an alternate version of Oh Well and as Nick explained, singer Keith Whittaker wrote this while riding on the bus to Rob's house for a practice.

2. The Demics....I Wanna Know....from the NYC CD as above.

3. The Demics....You Tell Me....as above.

4. The Demics...Talk's Cheap...as above.

5. The Demics....New York City....as above. This is the song that The Demics are most remembered for. That perfect anthem that sums up trying to escape for something that must be better than what you presently have. And it made the top of some bogus chart of the best singles from Canada or something like that. This song rocks and charts suck! Nick explained how and why Keith wrote this one, listen to the archived show for the story.

6. The Demics....Oh Well...as above. This is the version that came on the Talk's Cheap EP on Ready Records from 1979. This was the first punk rock record outta London Ontario and the first release on Ready Records which was based in Toronto. This, and the above 4 songs comprised that EP.

7. The Demics...Cowboys Are Fags....as above, but unreleased. This might have been inspired by some of the pictures in some of the zines that Mike Niederman released around the time of this tune being written. Pics of well hung muscular young men wearing chaps, guns and little else.

8. The Demics....Factories...as above.

9. The Demics....Talk Talk....as above, but this was recorded live at The Schooner Inn, St Thomas Ontario, spring 1979. 60's garagepunk was a big inspiration to The Demics and many like minded bands of the time. I can still see singer Keith spitting out the words into the mic from the stage of The Cedar Lounge in London Ontario. It knocked me on my ass that these guys would cover material like this, and do it justice!

10. The Demics...All Gone Wrong.... as above, live at the Schooner Inn.

11. The Demics....The Gift....as above.

12. The Demics...Lost Woman Blues...as above. Nick remembered seeing singer Keith's highschool band covering this tune in the very early 70's.

13. The Demics....Blue Boy... as above. One of my fave Demic tunes and one that would always get me up and going.

14. The Demics....Mercy Killer... as above.

15. Mettle....5/4...from the Domestic Animals cassette compilation. Mettle was the minimalistic art rock band that Rob Brent formed after leaving The Demics. Total opposite direction, but totally makes sense as Rob was the thinking man of The Demics and loved a lot of non-punk inspired music.  Mettle released a 12" in 1982 that CHRW played the shit out of back in the day. Mettle was around for a couple of years and moved in a dance/funk direction which some UK postpunk bands did back then. Roze White (Ukase) joined on vocals and they renamed the combo Camino Real.
      Back to the Domestic Animals cassette, this was compiled by Peter Moore (ya, that guy that does mastering for the big name bands nowadays as well as works on CBC documentaries and countless other projects....and did i mention he was also the best fucking DJ  this station ever had? Ya, he went by the name of Simon Less as he'd do bad things and get kicked off air, hence the name. But he was my fave DJ up there with the knob from Young Fast And Scientific!) and Gerry Collins (he was in Mettle, Cicadas and more) and was released without the bands on the compilation knowing anything about it! Many heard their songs for the first time right here on CHRW!! Released in April 1983 and you could pick it up at Records On Wheels in downtown London. Records On Wheels was the ONLY place to get punk rock records until Dr Disc opened up in the early 80's. This cassette was the first tangible evidence that London Ontario had a viable underground music scene. First edition, 50 copies.

16. The Scenics...Oh Boy....from the Last Pogo CD. Rob Brent was good pals with Andy Meyers of The Scenics and almost joined The Scenics at one point. Andy also had a record store here in London back in the mid 80's, SE corner of Wellington and Clarence, lower level.

17. The Scenics....Waiting For My Man...from the How Does It Feel To Be Loved CD. The Scenics and The Demics played together many times, sharing gigs here in London and Toronto.

18. Shakey Jack....I Won't See You No More....from The Demics Covers CD that Nick Perry released back in 1998. Shakey Jack is actually Jack Whiteside, former lead guitarist of Uranus, Sci-Phonics and many others as well as his present combo, The Psycho Daisies. Uranus and The Demics used to alternate weekends at The Cedar Lounge back in the late summer, early fall of 1978. Uranus fucking rocked!!

That's a wrap, big thanx to Nick Perry for coming on air to talk about those great times in London's musical history. Robert Brent....RIP!

Since this has taken life as a history lesson, here's 5 essential sources for info on London Ontario's late 70's and upwards musical history/scene/whatever. If you have any interest, give them a read or watch...

1. Treat Me Like Dirt...By Liz Worth, Bongo Beat Books 2009. This is an oral history of the punk rock scene in Toronto, Hamilton and London from the mid 70's up to the early 80's.

2. Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990...Brian Lambert McIntosh Gallery 2013. This accompanied the art exhibit of the posters, zines and artwork of the era as on display at Forest City Gallery. It's a book about the posters, zines and ephemera of the punk rock scene.

3. What Wave 24...Rena and Dave O'Halloran. Longtime London based zine returns for the above art show. The family trees of the London Ontario and area bands from the mid 70's to early 90's. Comes with a 90m cassette featuring unreleased songs from some of the bands from that era.

4. Stinkin' Out The Joint....Mario Circelli 2003. Documentary of the London and area punk scene. Mario was the Manager of CHRW for many years prior to the release of this film.

5. Last Pogo Jumps Again....Colin Brunton and Kire Paputts. Documentary of the early Toronto and area scene that has just been released on DVD. Have not seen this one yet, but it is HIGHLY recommended by those that have.

Thanx for all the phone calls and encouragement.....much appreciated!!!  Back again next week with more noise to annoy.

The show is archived for 2 weeks here:

• November 21, 2014 8:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist November 20/2014

1. Dustbin Flowers....Plasticine Nicotine....from II, obviously their 2nd CD. Local combo who are playing at the St Regis on Saturday night.

2. Lionel Lodge....Shut Down...from his recent The Agitator CD. London native who currently resides in Austria and he's rated the Number 1 Americana Artist by Reverbnation in Austria for last week!

3. Pacanomad....Heaven Can Wait...from their Restless EP CD. Local combo who played at a recent Rock'n'Roll Rent Party and wowed a lot of folks.

4. Roger Zuraw....Keep Your Mouth Shut....from a recent CD single. For the downtrodden and the oppressed!

5. The Delusionaires....The Worm Whispers...recent 7" on Hidden Volume Records outta Baltimore and the start of our spotlight on Hidden Volume Records who have released some top notch singles, all coloured vinyl and great sleeve! And the music is great too!!

6. The Torments....The Creamer...recent 7" on Hidden Volume.

7. The Improbables...Giving You The Key....recent 7" on Hidden Volume....these guys are from Philly.

8. The Stents....Rodeo...another Hidden Volume 7" and The Stents were in Toronto a couple weeks back for 2 shows. Former Hate Bombs in this combo.

9. DM Bob and The Deficits.....Satellite Of Love....from They Called Us Country CD. German combo on Off Label Records who sent us a package a coupla weeks back with some killer CD's in it!

10. Rams....Beaten Up Dogs...From Switzerland.

11. The Rescuers....Shakin' Around...self released 7" from late 80's/early 90's. From Spain and goes out to Erika, who is currently in Spain.

12. The Flash Back V.....You'll Be Sorry...another self released 7" from Spain, again late 80's/early 90's. The Flash Back V got a really good write up in The Knights Of Fuzz book by Timothy Gassen.

13. The Vibrating Beds....What You Do To Me....7" on Transistor 66 Records and the start of our T66 spotlight. Check out the documentary about Transistor 66 on the Radio WW facebook page. This one goes out to Natalie who asked about this combo.

14. Angry Dragons....Love You Tonight....from their only CD on T66. They've also released a hot pink 7" EP on T66. They've been to London twice, and both times, absolute killer 1966 garage sets!!!  Someone gave them a nice writeup in The Knights Of Fuzz book!!

15. Hot Live Guys....The Soonest The Best....from the External Culture For Internal Barbarians on Transistor 66 Records.

16. Miesha And The Spanks....Heart Knows....from the MMMMade For Me! CD on T66 Records. Miesha came to London a few years back and put on a ferocious show at the Black Shire Pub.

17. Legato Vipers....Angel Dust...from their brand new LV CD.

18. Legendary Dirt Bikers....First Dog In Space....from their only 7" from 2009. Fred from UIC and The Chickens is in this combo.

19. The Above...Georgia Peach....single on Boppa Do Down Records. NYC combo with this release on a Toronto label. They were in Toronto a couple weeks back and put on a killer show we've been told.

20. Don't Touch The Dancers....Make Me Sick...from the LDN compilation CD that CHRW recently released. All the acts on the CD were recorded through the new board at CHRW studios.

21. Panther Burns....Girl After Girl....recorded live at This Ain't Hollywood, Hamilton 6/19/2013.

22. Panther Burns....Shade Tree Mechanic....from the Shake Rag EP from 1986.

23. Panther Burns...Tina The Go Go Queen....from Sugar Ditch Revisited EP 1985.

Huge Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! That's what makes it all worthwhile!!
      Back again next week with more noise to annoy!

• November 29, 2014 2:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Nov 27 2014

1. Black Frame Spectacle....Bored Of The Lie...from their II CD. They have a CD release party this weekend.

2. The Demics....7 and 7 is....from the New York City CD and goes out to Steve Brent, brother of Rob Brent, who passed away about 2 weeks ago. Steve gave us (Nick and myself) and big thanx for the trib to his brother.

3. 63 Monroe....2 Minutes 38....from the Last Exit To Rawk And Roll CD and is a song about going to see The Demics back in the Cedar Lounge days. 63 Monroe is playing a kids toy fund raiser this weekend.

4. 63 Monroe...Weekend Punx....from the Hijack Victim LP on Rave Records that came out a few years back. 1984 recording of this anthem.

5. 63 Monroe....At The Boot...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with What Wave 24. Live recording from The Cedar Lounge circa 1980.

6. Holy Roller...Everybody Knows....from a recent demo. This trio will be playing the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party on Dec 7th at APK.

7. Holy Roller...Back It Up....as above.

8. The Mongrels...Do It...May 2013 recording, and as always, The Mongrels are the resident combo at the first sunday of the month Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

9. Boy From Nowhere....Rack My Mind....live recording from the Town and Country, 10/5/2013. Boy are playing this weekend at St Regis Hotel.

10. Boy From Nowhere...You're Gonna Miss Me... as above.

11. Straight Jacket....Jesus Loves Pornstars....recent demo, these guys are going to be playing with Boy From Nowhere.

12. Heart Attack Kids....Probably Not Important....from the Hooligans download from earlier this year. This weekend, Heart Attack Kids release their first 7" on Speed City/It's Trash Records.

13. Heart Attack Kids...Have Heart.... as above.

14. Sexy Decoy...Sucker...from the brand new Not Yer Buddies Compilation Volume 4 CD.  27 west coast bands on this latest comp and we'll be hearing more of this next week!

15. Vikki Vortex and The Cumshots...Countdown To A Breakdown...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout compilation, volume 10.

16. Plastic Pals....Travelling....from a demo this Swedish combo sent us a little while back.

17. Flesh Rag...Suffragette City....from their Too Fucked Up cassette. Hamilton combo that features a former Mystic.

18. Mess.... Post Party Morning....recent release from this Moscow based combo that sound like early Stooges meet United Carbide Productions!

19. Mess....Lucky One.... as above.

20. Wilson Pickett..... Engine # 9...from the Star Collection LP. This is the first song of a new thing we're trying, one set of music that doesn't really fit the format of the show, but it's really cool music that you just might dig!  This set is called Saturday Nite Fetish, and it will usually be something from my rather large record collection.

21. Bachman Turner Overdrive....Blue Collar....from their first LP from 1973 and is the second and last song in this week's Saturday Nite Fetish. Dig that jazzy guitar sound that Randy Bachman lays down on this track!! Nothing like their heavy handed later output.

22. The Liggs....It's Not You....recent demo from this Brantford Ontario combo.

23. The Bardos....Devils Weed....recent demo and we had to fade most of this one out.

Thanx for tuning in and hope you enjoyed the show!! And a big Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!

Back again next week with an all female led band show as next week is the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre. CHRW will be doing an all female show on Saturday Dec 6th as part of the commemoration.   And, we'll be having a phone interview with our good pals The Pack AD as they have a show at the London Music Hall that night!!

And here's a link to the archived show:

• December 5, 2014 9:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Dec 4 2014

Originally planned as an all female led band show to commemerate the anniversary of The Montreal Massacre 1989, but as always, thing change, this time for the worse. We lost several this week; legendary sax player Bobby Keys (Rolling Stones, The Crickets and so many others), Ian McLagen (Faces, Small Faces and so much more) and local long time drummer Jeff Depew. RIP to all and best to the families/friends of all involved.

1. Small Faces....Afterglow....from the Best Of Immediate CD. Ian McLagen played keyboards in The Small Faces, a band that i've really been getting into the last couple of years. Stupidly missed going to see Ian play live last year at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton. The obvious lesson is don't skip shows of older musicians when they play near you.

2. Legend Killers....King For A Day....from We're Workin' On It CD. Jeff Depew drums on this one and here's a partial list of bands he's drummed for; Taplash, Sifter, Odessa, Dumb, Kaak, Shattered Image, Scratching Post, 63 Monroe and of course Legend Killers. If you've been going to see live local bands here in London over the past 25 years, chances are you've seen Jeff on the drums. Way too soon....RIP!

3. Pacanomad....Heaven Can Wait...from the Restless CD.  Saw this combo at a recent Rock'n'Roll Rent Party and they surprised many with their great show! And there's a Rock'n'Roll Rent Party happening this sunday, Dec 7th with Holy Roller and The Mongrels.

4. Ukase...Jealousy....from the Lost Tapes CD. Features Roze White on operatic vocals on this song, that The Zellots used to play live back in the late 70's/early 80's. And speaking of.....

5. The Zellots....Do Me A Favour....recorded live at Call The Office, 10/27/2012 as part of the Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 live show.

6. The Hippies...Can Teens....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with What Wave 24.

7. BB Guns....Bang Bang...live recording from CIUT 2/12/2013 on Daihbid James Moondawg Ballroom show.

8. Bardos....Devils's Weed....recent demo from this 2 piece that could be Cursed Arrows.

9. Living Deadbeats...Easy Peasy....from Not Yer Buddy's compilation CD volume 4. West coast compilation with 27 bands and Living Deadbeats feature former Londoner Pete Feend on bass. Recently broke up, but they did release one really cool LP!

10. Destroy All Monsters....What Do I Get..from the Singles & Rarities CD on Revenge. Featuring artist Niagara on vocals and Ronnie Ashton on guitars. They played London Ontario 10/12/1990 with Scott Ashton on drums....last time these 2 Stooges played London Ontario and you shoulda been there!

11. Stolen Minks...Boys On The Floor....from their 7" EP. Halifax all girl combo who played London a couple of times and were featured in Mongrel Zine (Vancouver) and Lost In Tyme (Greece) zines and are mentioned in The Knights Of Fuzz book.

12. Dustaphonics....Moja Yar Bones...from their latest, Big Smoke London Town. Amazing UK combo on Dirty Water Records.

13. Lisa Doll...Bubblegum Boy... from a recent 7" EP.

14. Bloody Diamonds....She Ain't Pretty....recorded live on Radio WW 9/27/2012. Halifax combo who have been to London a few times and seem to be constantly touring.

15. Sacred Miracle Cave....Summertime...from a SFTRI 7" and features Betsy Palmer on vocals.

16. Heather Haley....3 Blocks West Of Wonderland....recent demo. Heather was vocalist for The Zellots in their late 70's time in Vancouver.

17. Girl Bombs...Come Back....7" EP on Misty Lane Records. Hamilton area all girl combo that released recordsin Italy, and rarely in Canada.

18. Pea and The Pees....Superchick...from their Golden Treasures CD on Off Label Records out of Germany. Thanx to Off Label Records for sending us this!

19. Pack AD....Airborne...from the Do Not Engage CD.

Right about this time, Maya Miller, drummer for Pack AD was onair for a phone interview to talk about their big show that was happening at London Music Hall last night. Got to see Pack AD live, and as always, they put on a great and entertaining show!! They were only allowed a 30m opening slot at precisely 8PM, but they made the best of it and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it!!! Also on the show were Said The Whale (started slow, but ended with a couple of faster rockier songs) and Tokyo Police Club (way too much bottom end in their sound and had to leave).
      Also got to meet legendary producer/sound wizard Jim Diamond who was at the show checking out Pack AD, whom he's worked with several times! Finally got the full story about why The Dirtbombs didn't play Call The Office about 10 years ago. They were supposed to play and didn't show up. At the time, we were told their car broke down on the way to the gig! Turns out, that was true and Jim was driving when they blew a rod on Highway 401 near Tilbury. Jim said their was a huge bang and oil was shooting all over the place. They had to get their van towed to a repair shop, and the band rode in the van while it was being towed!  And I never did get to see The Dirtbombs!

20 Pack AD....Creepin' Jenny....from the Do Not Engage CD.

21. Terror Lake....Chief Of Staff....from their Lincoln County Mixes demo from a couple years back.

22. Alabama Shakes...Hold On...from their Boys and Girls CD....had to fade this one out as we ran outta time.

Big Thanx to Maya Miller of The Pack AD for taking the time to talk live onair between soundcheck and going on stage!! And thanx to all the listeners, phone callers, emailers, facebook messagers and people who come up and say HEY at shows and about!! It's all about the music!!!

Rock'n'Roll Rent Party on Sunday Dec 7th, 3PM at APK. Holy Roller and The Mongrels.

Archived show, blogs, etc at:

• December 13, 2014 9:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist December 11/2014

1. The Subhumans....Model Of Stupidity....live at Cedar Lounge, London Ontario Canada 6/12/1981 and this goes out to vocalist Wimpy Roy who passed away earlier this week. This was The Subhumans first of 3 appearances here in London. London was one of their better shows as I caught the Toronto show at The Edge the day before or after this one and there were very few out to see the band.

2. The Subhumans....Big Picture....from the Incorrect Thoughts LP, original pressing on Friends Records (later releases had a slightly different mix and were not authorized by the band). Check the rear cover of this one as one of the gig fliers has London's Zellots listed, during their Vancouver tenure. You can read all about The Zellots in Mongrel Zine 9 and 10.

3. The Subhumans....Behind The Smile....from the Vancouver Independence LP on Friends Records, early 80's.

4. The Subhumans....Dead At Birth...from the Incorrect Thoughts LP. This LP was one of my faves when it first came out as lyrically it was spot on to what was happening and Mike Graham's guitar work is stupendous. Watching Mike play guitar live is always jaw dropping.

Around here I was yammering about Wimpy Roy, The Subhumans appearances in London and playing in the background is the song many of you were singing along with....we don't care what you say....FUCK YOU!!!  Simon Less.

5. Subhumans....I Got Religion....from the New Dark Age Parade CD from the reunion circa 2006. 25 years later and nothing lost or gained sound or lyric wise.

6. DOA....Singin' In The Rain....from the Let's Wreck The Party LP from1985. Wimpy Roy used to sing this song live for many years when he was bassist for DOA.

7. DOA....Liar For Hire...from the War on 45 LP from 1982 and the first DOA LP to bring the band to a bigger audience. And a FUCKING Great LP!! This one has never lost it's appeal to me in over 30 years!

8 Dead Rabbits....No Way....from the Boot To The Head CD from July 2002. This was a reunion of a few of the London and area bands that used to play at the Cedar Lounge here in London. London's home of punk rock/new wave/whatever until closing in May 1982. Spent way too much time at this club. This was a request that goes out to KP, who also supplied The Subhumans live tape that started the show!! 44i

9. Heart Attack Kids...Platonic Love Bomb....brand new 7" EP on Speed City/It's Trash Records from here in London. Fairly new 2 piece combo that are loads of fun live.

10. Heart Attack Kids...Shoulda Came From Japan.... as above.

11. The Pack AD...Night Crawler...from a CD compilation called House Of Burners. Sounding nothing like the Pack AD that we all know and love, this is a Thee OC's cover. BTW, Pack AD were excellent as always when they played live last week at the London Music Hall.

12. The Holy Roller....Bicycle Day... from a recent demo of this London based pop trio. Caught them live at the Rock'n'Roll Rent Party and they are a really tight pop combo that are well worth checking out.

13. Dave Rave....4th Of July....recent demo and Dave will be in Hamilton tonite as part of the Gord Lewis Band and I'm  pretty much positive they will be playing some Teenage Head songs.

14. Mother's Children....The Gang Is Back...from their brand new LP Lemon, on Mammoth Cave Records. Ottawa powerpop combo that opened for Paul Collins Beat here in London at our big power pop show a coupla years back.

15. Mother's Children...Out Of The Dark... as above.

16. King Tuff...Black Holes...from the Moon Spell CD that came out recently.

17. Sparks...Throw Her Away....from the Big Beat Lp from 1976. I stupidly didn't go see Sparks when they were at This Ain't Hollywood within the last year or so.

18. The Quick....No No No....from the Mondo Deco LP from 1976. West coast boy band that Kim Fowley was involved with. And ya, they do sound a lot like Sparks and that ain't a bad thing.

19. The Sweet....No You Don't....from the Desolation Boulevard LP from 1975.

20. The Tubes....Don't Touch Me There...from a greatest hits CDand originally from 1976.

21. Slade....Mama We're All Crazee Now....1972 and from a greatest hits CD. Slade played London Ontario and the local review in the London Free Press said they were one of the worst bands ever.....reviewers probably do that on purpose as they know something like that will cause all us crazies to fall in love with the band!

22. Sparks...This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us....from the Kimono My House LP from 1974 and this song is stuck in my noggin'.

23. Hackamore Brick....Oh! Those Sweet Bananas....from a recent Ugly Pop re-issue, but originally released back in 1970. Feel those Velvet Underground vibes.

24. Brian McHahon.....NYDNY.....from the 17 Volts CD. Former Electric Eel member's solo CD and it's a good one! This song summarizes the late 70's get outta town and move to the big city feeling that so many had back then.

25. Eugene Ripper....Tech No Me....from the brand new Hangman CD. Toronto based and former member of Stark Naked and The Fleshtones.

Thanx to all that tuned in, phoned, emailed, messaged and said Hey!!! Much appreciated as it's all about the music!
      Next week it's all Xmas tunes.....not your usual holiday tunes.

Here's a link to listen to the archived show and there's also blogs to read if you're bored:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel