Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bands Appearing on Cartoons

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 5, 2013 11:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was just reading an article in Shindig about bands appearing on the Flinstones (of course they had to add the stone-age puns...Beau Brummelstones, Ann-Margrock) and it got me thinking about bands appearing on cartoon shows. Does anyone know of any other cartoons that actual bands have appeared on, or have a favorite moment?

I grew up on the Simpsons, so naturally my favorite moment is when the Ramones wish Mr. Burns a Happy Birthday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KgVckgItw

I couldn't find the full clip in English, and the lines prior to and after the song are too great to skip, so here it is in Spanish, with translation provided below:

Smithers: Here are several fine young men who I'm sure are going to go far. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Ramones!

Joey: Hey, I'd just like to say this gig sucks!

Johnny: Yeah, up yours Springfield

(Joey counts off, goes into song)

CJ: Go to hell, you old bastard.

Marky: Hey, I think they liked us!

Burns: Have the Rolling Stones killed.

Smithers: But sir, those aren't the-

Burns: Do as I say!

• January 16, 2013 11:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My fave cartoon as a kid was The Impossibles who were a cool Mop Top garage band of secret superheroes who had a show or did a song or part of one in every episode...super cool...every episode seems to be on YouTube...

• January 16, 2013 9:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ONE OF MY FAVORITES , AND ONE OF THE FIRST , WAS IN A FOGHORN LEGHORN CARTOON. OK , I MENTIONED THIS , ELSEWHERE , BUT THERE WAS A ROCK'N'ROLL ROOSTER WITH A GUITAR , SINGIN' "GEE WHIZ WHILLIKERS , GOLLY GEE! SHE'S  THE PURDIEST THING YA SEE. GEE WHIZ WHILLIKERS , GOLLY GEE. I LOVE THE GIRRRRRR - IIIRRRRRR -IRL !!!!! AND SHE LOVES MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.".  I have a LOT of Foghorn Leghorn cartoons , but , not that one (I think he was in TWO.). Yes, I looked it up on You Tube. All I found was that Frankie Avalon released a version of the song. I FELL ASLEEP IN FRONT OF THE TV once , and  that song bolted me awake !  Warner Bros also had a short gag about the "Elvis" dog , a dog with a guitar , saying "I'm nuthin' but a Hound Dawg !" .

• January 16, 2013 4:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most of the bands today are goddamn cartoons and they don't even know it.

• January 15, 2013 1:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

How about cartoon bands, like Josie & The Pussycats? Pretty girls in Leotards, fishnets, high heels, kitty ears and cute little kitty tails. Anyone one know of other cartoon series with a band in the centre spotlight (as opposed to being guest appearances)?

• January 12, 2013 4:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Re. The Thunderbirds (A direct reply was not possible. Contact International Rescue. ).

A classic....."Those are'nt puppets. They're marionettes!" ("That Thing You Do ".)

• January 11, 2013 12:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's not exactly a band in a cartoon but I'm still struggling to believe I saw Henry Rollins as a Rainicorn in Adventure Time. That is a very weird cartoon.

• January 11, 2013 4:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok, it's not a cartoon, but here's a clip of Cliff Richard and the Shadows from a dream sequence in 'Thunderbirds Are Go', a Thunderbirds movie made in 1966. For the uninitiated, the fact that they're all puppets has nothing to do with it being a dream sequence, that's just how they did things back then.

• January 10, 2013 7:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those Ramones cartoons that were posted are great. Cheers for posting.

• January 10, 2013 7:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I actually had a dream , once , that The Ramones had their own saturday morning cartoon show. Of course , much later in their career , Ralph Bakshi's original Spiderman footage was used in their "Spiderman" theme song video. Also , Dan Clowes did the cool cartoons for the video for their cover of Tom Waits' "I Don't Wanna Grow Up". Dan actually postponed his honeymoon when he got the call. Joey Ramone was once on the mostly - shit music JBTV SHOW IN CHICAGO. Hosted by annoying , Jerry Garcia - wannabe JB (NOT NONE OF THIS JB!), Joey spoke about how the video came about , mispronouncing Dan's name as "Dan Close", though JB later called Petula Clark "Petulia Clark".....

• January 10, 2013 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Drive-By Truckers on Squidbillies:

• January 8, 2013 10:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, The Elevators, Five Americans , Mouse and The Traps (As The Positively 13 O'Clock) , The Chocolate Watchband (As The Hogs) , The New Breed and many others were on HBR , AT LEAST FOR A SINGLE (The mighty , mighty 5 Americans , a whole album.) , AT THE SAME TIME , THE LABEL RELEASED SOME GREAT KIDS' RECORDS WITH THEIR STABLE OF CARTOON CHARACTERS AND USUALLY UNIDENTIFIED STUDIO ROCK BANDS , Tho' Danny Hutton Of The Enemies and Three Dog Night had a hit with "Monster Shindig" from the SNOOPS AND BLABBERMOUSE (With The Gruesome Family of "She said yeah , yeah , yeah" fame , from Bedrock.)album of the same name.

• January 8, 2013 9:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I knew I could count on you for a great, thorough response, John! I always wondered how Hanna-Babera were so tied into the music community...Vince Taylor, yowza!!! I found out also that they had a record label, HBR, which released the "You're Gonna Miss Me Single" in 1966. Doesn't get much cooler than that.  

I had no idea Lux appeared on Spongebob...thanks for sharing! Those Ramones videos are well done, too.

These are great! Keep 'em coming!!

• January 8, 2013 4:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lux Interior in "Underwater Sun" of Spongebob Cartoon

• January 8, 2013 1:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"See , children. There I am with The Clash and The Sex Pistols and...."

"What are you doing with that goat , Chef?"

"Never mind !".

There was a horrendous cartoon character in the 80's just called "Punk".

trashman said:

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros sing It's A Rockin World at Chef Aid

• January 8, 2013 11:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros sing It's A Rockin World at Chef Aid

• January 7, 2013 9:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i was thinking about that "Gang" on Pebbles and Bam Bam. Remind me of The Deviants.

• January 7, 2013 5:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In a Spongebob episode you have John Lurie fishing together with Jim Jarmusch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzvpbMa-75k

electrocute your cock said:

Lux Interior was in an episode of Spongebob as the singer of a band called the Bird Brains. I haven't seen it, should probably check it out.
    • January 6, 2013 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're asking the wrong person.....Because I will BORE the Hell out of you with my wealth of useless information.....

JOE BARBARA , OF HANNA - BARBARA , was Vince Taylor's Brother - in - Law . He bankrolled his career on early Huckleberry Hound profits. I always thought JET SCREAMER , the teen - Rock ; n'Roll Idol from "The Jetsons" was based partly on Conrad Birdie and partly on Vince Taylor(The over- the - top campiness in his voice - BAYBEH BAYBEH BAYBEH ! OH OH OH !). Actually , I believe Birdie's character was ripped more from Taylor than Presley........And , who was ready to forsake ol' Alfred E. Neuman with JFK's hair (Bobby Rydell.)  , like she would have given the latter a second glance in real life?

Yep. "Ann Margrock".

So , The Flintstones had Rock Roll , singing "The Bedrock Twitch" .

Hi- Fi (Fred in disguise) - "Listen To The Mocking Bird".

Pebbles and Bam Bam - The Xian - themed "Let The Sun Shine In" (Covered , later , by VERY scary puppets on a Jimmy and Tammy  Faye  Baker LP.).

Hoagy Carmichael (In cartoon form) "Yabba Dabba Do"

The Golden Smog - Lame Beat /Trad Jazz . Fred SiTS IN on "When The Saints Go Marching IN".

THERE WAS A SWEDISH GROUP THAT DID A MOCK - SWEDISH "YABBA DABBA DO" song.

Fred and Barney led an international Boy Scouts' convention on "Old Macdonald" . Bound to offend someone.

That Shindig article must have mentioned "Shinrock!" The Flintstones ' parody of the still - current "Shindig ! " TV show , with host Jimmy O'Neil doing the voice - over for his own cartoon countenance , and introducing , yep , The Beau Brummelstones. 

Pebbles and Bam Bam had their own Saturday Morning Cartoon show in the 70's , and they , and their teenage friends , had a band. Sally Struthers did the voice of Pebbles and sang all , or most of her parts on the songs.  Her Dad did'nt approve of her hanging out with "Dem Stone - Age weirdos".

The show was revived in the late 70's. There was one episode with the most pathetic KISS parody imaginable (Even moreso than KISS , themselves , today.) , called "The Cavemen". One had an orange afro , the other , green . One rolled his eyes , the other wiggled his ears. Fred and Barney are called in to impersonate the duo , singing their "Hit" , "We're gonna rock all day , we're gonna roll all night , we're the Cavemen , yeah ! Yeah! Yeah ! ALL RIGHT !".

Then , you had The Archies , Josie and The Pussycats , The Groovie Ghoulies , Fat Albert and THE Junkyard Band ,  Osmonds and Jackson 5 cartoons , Rick Springfield even had his own cartoon show "Mission Magic" , when he had one American hit under his belt , and barrel -scrapers like Butch Cassidy and The Sunset Kids , The Amazing Chan and The Chan Clan , The Brady Kids , PARTRIDGE FAMILY 2200 AD (No involvement from Shirley Jones or David Cassidy. Can you blame 'em?) , and so many others.....

Prior to that , The Beatles had their own cartoon show , and there was a funny animal band show , "The Beagles". Scooby Doo featured Jerry Reed , Davey Jones , Sonny and Cher and others , in cartoon form.....They also had a band called Tabatha and Adam and The Clowns , Samantha and Darren's offspring as young adults in a Rock group ( THERE WAS A BEWITCHED CROSSOVER ON "The Flintstones" , as well.). The Cattanooga Cats were a travelling, "Cat" Rock group in flashy 60's threads . They're notorious , today , for their song , "My Birthday Suit" . LOOK IT UP.

I can't think of any Cartoon bands that'd fall under the heading of "Garage Rock" , tho'....

But , after ice cream and Horror movies , cartoons are Roky's greatest passion. That's good enough for me.

• January 6, 2013 2:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes! It was puppets , not cartoons , but , no matter. IT WAS A THREE PIECE PUPPET BAND , THEY WERE BIRDS , AS I RECALL....ONE LOOKED LIKE LUX , ANOTHER LOOKED LIKE KID CONGO , BUT, THEY WERE'NT REALLY SUPPOSED TO BE THE CRAMPS. The Cramps were also on "Chic - A - Go - Go " in 1997 , being interviewed by the puppet host , Ratso. You can see that on You Tube.

electrocute your cock said:

Lux Interior was in an episode of Spongebob as the singer of a band called the Bird Brains. I haven't seen it, should probably check it out.
    • January 6, 2013 8:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel