Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Ramones... Hey Ho Let's Go!!!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 9, 2010 3:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

there first album was pretty "Ggarage".... but also the beging of PUNK !!!!....... my Fav song is off "road to Ruin".....
      Im against it!!!!
    • August 14, 2013 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What Dave said has gotta be the best definition of the Ramones I've ever read.

I have yet to hear one single band before them that started from scratch the way the Ramones did, yet encapsulated EVERYTHING that was cool over 20 plus years of Rock'n'rolll up to that point. From Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, to the Beatles and the Beach Boys, to Shangri Las and Ronettes, to Stooges and Black Sabbath, to Slade and the New York Dolls. You can hear it all in 3 minutes, sped up, turned up, and dumbed down to two basic barre chords and a 4/4 beat thanks to the Ramones

This post was edited by Tyler at August 14, 2013 1:58 PM CDT
    • August 14, 2013 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know why I was so disturbed when I read about the 9th annual Johnny Ramone Tribute at Hollywood Forever. Oh, Maybe it was this:

"...Ramones look a-like contest! Come dressed as your favorite founding member of The Ramones: Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee or Tommy—to win prizes! Visit the 8ft, bronze, Johnny Ramone Memorial statue, and the gravesite of Dee Dee Ramone...."

I don't know. But it doesn't  feel right somehow. Am I over reacting?

• August 14, 2013 5:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never been a big fan of the Ramones although I do enjoy listening to their debut LP and Rocket to Russia, probably the best albums i've heard from them.  Part of the problem for me is that the first Ramones album I listened to all those years ago was 'End of a century', which was just awful and just blemished them in my mind.

• September 26, 2013 9:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just learned this past week that when the Ramones covered "Come on lets go" with the Paley Brothers on vocals, it was in 1977 with TOMMY on drums! I always thought it was recorded with Marky in '78 or '79. But apparently it was in 1977. Even says "produced by T-Erdelyi" on the single version. Mind blown

• September 28, 2013 6:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

The Ramones were the boys who really revived rock'n'roll from dreary prog and MOR bullshit and I love them for that. Every song they did was brilliant, they never really put a foot wrong. My favourite songs? The whole of the first three albums, especially the tunes that influenced indie pop acts like The Primitives or The Pastels. 

Who were the most Ramones-like/influenced indie pop act? 

• November 20, 2013 8:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris....in terms of "indie pop"...i gotta go with Helen Love

• November 20, 2013 8:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So, this is pretty cool!

http://truckstopstruckstop.tumblr.com/post/67418625771/note-found-inside-used-copy-of-rocket-to-russia

Someone posted this note on a blog after finding it inside a used copy of Rocket To Russia.

It originally appears to be simply a funny letter that went along with a birthday gift.

But a few things I notice:
       It makes two mentions of "Superteem" in the letter....Darin Raffellis label in the mid 90's that also put out the first Donnas album and early 7'' singles.

At the bottom, it's signed "Allison R, July 26th, 1995". Could it be a birthday gift from Darin Raffelli to Donna A on her 16th birthday?

PRETTY FUCKING COOL! Although Donna A has some explaining to do!

• November 21, 2013 10:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Tyler said:

Chris....in terms of "indie pop"...i gotta go with Helen Love

I'll go with that, I quite like both the Ramones & Helen Love. The Spice Girls ripped Helen Love off, with their appropriation of the "Girl Power" slogan.  What else did the Bruddas Ramone influence?

• December 5, 2013 8:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A sea of copycat bands!

Some are actually really good though. The Riverdales were always pretty consistent,

HEAD were really good too.

In terms of indie....I can hear Ramones in the Jesus and Mary Chain

• December 5, 2013 1:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Tyler said:

A sea of copycat bands!

Some are actually really good though. The Riverdales were always pretty consistent,

HEAD were really good too.

In terms of indie....I can hear Ramones in the Jesus and Mary Chain

So do I, especially their early stuff.

• December 7, 2013 2:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE RAMONES DEF. INFLUENCED THE JAMC , BEFORE THEY WENT SOFT. I STILL LIKE THEM , BUT SOME OF THEIR EARLY STUFF WAS PAINFUL ! I NEVER THOUGHT THEY'D MAKE IT IN THE US, BUT , I ALSO THOUGHT DWIGHT YOAKUM WAS TOO COUNTRY TO GET INTO THE COUNTRY CHARTS.

HELEN LOVE , I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH.....OH , GOD. WHO DID'NT THE RAMONES INSPIRE? ANTISEEN , FIFI AND THE MACH III , VAGINISMUS , JEFF DAHL ,  DICKIES , TEENGENERATE , X ,  LISA DOLL , NERVEBREAKERS, NIKKI AND THE CORVETTES , RAMONETURES , ABBA ABBA HEY , AND , WELL , SO MANY OTHERS. THO' JOHNNY RAMONE VEHEMENTLY DENIED BEING INFLUENCED BY TEH VELVETS , OR EVEN KNEW WHO THEY WERE UNTIL AFTER THE RAMONES FORMED , THE RAMONES INFLUENCED SOME UNLIKELY BANDS , AS DID THE VELVETS.

• December 9, 2013 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Teengenerate! Crypt finally released their 1994 Egg Studio session. Can't wait until it comes in. After Ramones, Teengenerate were a life changing discovery.

Helen Love is Electro Indie Pop from Wales. Joey Ramone was a big fan. He even dueted with her on an earlier release in the 90's.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVBmGFt76o

• December 9, 2013 2:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'M - A SCARED , BUT , i SUPPOSE i should have a listen.......I LIKED JOEY AND HOLLY BETH VINCENT'S TAKE ON " I GOT YOU , BABE" , THO , IN HINDSIGHT , I'D HAVE LIKED TO HAVE HEARD THEM RECORD SOME ORIGINAL TUNES , TOO.  AT THE PONDEROSA STOMP , THE SLOTHS ACTUALLY PLAYED A SONG THAT HOLLY WROTE FOR JOEY , AND TRIED TO GET HIM TO DO , BUT , HE DIED BEFORE HE COULD RECORD IT.

You must have seen the Teengenerate footage that's going around , from The Fireside Bowl in Chicago. I was at that show , and another one the same evening , and , they were great , but , I never liked their records too much. I think they would've sounded better  if they had a half - decent production , I DON'T MEAN LIKE SLICK 80'S POP Production , but not so intentionally bad. The Lo - Fi thing was already on it's way out. But , that's just me , "Unpopular Opinions". I felt the same way about Black Flag , and I do , now , about Jim Jones Revue. A great band .....IF everything were'nt in the red.

If the extreme volume and bad production worked , I'd be all over it. But , even Blue Cheer did'nt fall back on THAT much excess when they started touring again . That said , while I did like Teengenerate , most of the other Crypt stuff that was not BFTG , or other , related reissues , barring The Devil Dogs , I TRIED TO DIG , BUT , COULD'NT......Tim seemed to be down on modern Garage bands , like there were NONE to suit his taste , anymore. There must have been a few.   He did catch up with The Gories , when they had one foot out the door.

• December 10, 2013 7:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah! That footage rules! They’re making a documentary about them. Japanese release only I assume though.

The new released Egg Studio recordings are the slickest teengenerate recordings I ever heard. Apparently that’s what I intended to release as Get Action, but Tim Warren turned it down because it was too slick. So they went back to Japan and re-recorded the album to 4 track, with all the pods in the red….which ended up being the Get Action album.

Here’s a track from the egg studios session. Pretty damn slick by Teengenerate standards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOiKz7F_OY

• December 10, 2013 7:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I meant to say what *they intended to release. not *I intended to release. haha

• December 10, 2013 5:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA ! HA! It's still pretty rough. Seems like Warren could have released it , anyway , as a gamble. See how the fans like it.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel