Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Who is the most Important Garage Rocker in the last 10 years?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 25, 2011 8:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I remember The Makers.  Did'nt like 'em.

John White said:

I agree, The Blacks Lips have been an important band, and everything you said is true. But, when it comes down it, I liked the last White Stripes record. The last Black Lips record, not so much. I have a feeling that they are changing their songwriting style to gain mainstream success. Anyone remember The Makers?
    • December 25, 2011 8:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

P.S. I JUST HEARD "MAKIN' TIME" IN A BEER COMMERCIAL , MAYBE THAT'LL HELP MOTIVATE EDDIE Phillips (WHO'S A REAL ACE GUY.) TO GET THE CREATION UP AND RUNNING AGAIN , IF THEY ARE'NT , ALREADY.

John Battles said:

Long before The White Stripes caught on , and actually , before there even was a White Stripes, There was Msr. Jeffrey Evans , The Gories and Jack O' Fire , as far as (Mostly) white acts are concerned. LONG before they shaped Punk Blues , Hound Dog Taylor created it. But , Pat Hare had that sound some 20 years before , and Cub Koda was punkin' the HELL out of them Blues from the 70's to his all too untimely passing.....

I'm not hearing much of anything new in the Garage and so -called Garage genre  that I'd call important. As far as important old school people who still have a lot to offer , or did in the past 10 years , we've got Roky Erickson, Fred Cole , The Alarm Clocks , The Sonics , ? and The Mysterians , the recently defunct Mike and The Ravens , The Remains , The Electric Prunes (Whose status , it seems , remains in flux. ) , The Electras (Same.) , The late , great Wailers , The late , great Blue Cheer , The Troggs , The Pretty Things , The Downliners Sect , The Creation (Anybody heard from them?) , Mitch Ryder , Mark Lindsay , Scott Morgan , The Stooges , The Nervebreakers ,  The New Colony Six (On a good night.).

You don't have to be hip with the kids and their outasite beat to have something that's of worth. 

• December 25, 2011 8:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gerry ? Gerry Marsden? I thought he was alive. And no one would accuse him of being a Garage Rock Godfather. Gerry Rosalie ,of course , is still with us. Maybe I'm missing someone.

Andy Climax said:

Gone but never ever forgotten. Lux Interior must be as important to Garage, Rockabilly, Beats and any other genre of scuzzy rawk'n'roll. Not just the last 10 years but 30. Influenced by and for so many of our (anti) hero's. the Cramps introduced so many including the mainstream to our particular brand of madness. He's an ambassador and a gentleman. I hope him, Sky and Gerry are sittin round a table now with very smug faces on, coz they Fkn deserve to. Lux Interior R.I.P
    • December 25, 2011 12:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Long before The White Stripes caught on , and actually , before there even was a White Stripes, There was Msr. Jeffrey Evans , The Gories and Jack O' Fire , as far as (Mostly) white acts are concerned. LONG before they shaped Punk Blues , Hound Dog Taylor created it. But , Pat Hare had that sound some 20 years before , and Cub Koda was punkin' the HELL out of them Blues from the 70's to his all too untimely passing.....

I'm not hearing much of anything new in the Garage and so -called Garage genre  that I'd call important. As far as important old school people who still have a lot to offer , or did in the past 10 years , we've got Roky Erickson, Fred Cole , The Alarm Clocks , The Sonics , ? and The Mysterians , the recently defunct Mike and The Ravens , The Remains , The Electric Prunes (Whose status , it seems , remains in flux. ) , The Electras (Same.) , The late , great Wailers , The late , great Blue Cheer , The Troggs , The Pretty Things , The Downliners Sect , The Creation (Anybody heard from them?) , Mitch Ryder , Mark Lindsay , Scott Morgan , The Stooges , The Nervebreakers ,  The New Colony Six (On a good night.).

You don't have to be hip with the kids and their outasite beat to have something that's of worth. 

• December 25, 2011 12:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THANK YOU. If I could thank you in your native tongue , I would.

Erske Storsvedja said:

Fred Cole, at least to me.
    • December 23, 2011 10:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, Kelley Stoltz, The Sandwitches, and that entire san francisco scene in my opinion. They record everything on old Tascam tape machines. Thats how to do it in my opinion

• December 23, 2011 6:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Should have mentioned black lips, Jay Reatard & king Khan too. 
    • December 23, 2011 6:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Greg Cartright
      Nobunny
      Mark Sultan
    • December 23, 2011 6:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn, first reply was my pick. 

BLACKCAT69 said:
      Greg Cartwright gets my vote.
    • August 31, 2011 12:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, and Kopper.
    • August 31, 2011 11:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The holy trinity- Greg, Jack, & Eric. Even though I see the argument for Jack White, he was influenced by The Oblivians and even bought his guitar from Jack Oblivian. Then there's the personal preference of mine for The Reigning Sound and Goner Records. Not to knock The White Stripes, but a lot of the bands they influenced sound more like indie rock with a few blues riffs. The bands on Goner and influenced by Greg Cartwright sound closer to the real deal for me while somehow still sounding modern and relevant.
    • July 24, 2011 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BE THE PRESS!

Cherry Cannoli said:
      I would love to read a book about this era in NYC. Really. I read "Girl Bomb" which is about the city at that time. Please, bring your stories to the press!,
    • July 24, 2011 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bright Stars

or 

the VANES

theCLOWNS

• July 23, 2011 11:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

important is a BIG word, but for me Mick Collins the man. he challenged me to look into other genres; rhythm&blues, soul, funk, punkrock, pop. for the big audience Jay Reatard is the man

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel