Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Mono vs. Stereo

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 12, 2010 8:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am a small-time record collector and an amateur DJ and I have a simple question that deals with both.

If you have a chance to get a rare copy of a record in mono, would you pass it up for a stereo version because it might sound better in a club?

Or, for the veteran DJs out there... do you opt for stereo for sound,  mono for authenticity or do both have their merits in a club setting?

I'm guessing it's probably case-by-case and depends on individual songs, but any input would be appreciated...
    • November 3, 2012 3:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The mono vs. stereo argument is something that I guess a lot of DJs mull over , when , in fact , a lot of 60's singles were mixed real hot , whether they were one or the other , tho' a lot of early , panned stereo sounds terrible. It really just depends , and most club's sound systems are incapable of keeping everything on an even keel , anyway , whether it's LPs , 45s , or CDs.

I've found that most records dating up to the mid 60's (The majors gave up on mono in '67 , if I'm not mistaken.) sound better in mono , but , maybe only because they sound different to the versions I knew better....Fuller if not necessarily louder. DJ singles  WERE PRESSED WITH MONO AND STEREO VERSIONS of the  same song well into the 70's , but , sometimes , one version did'nt sound that much different than the other. I think a lot of people are too hardcore about mono .  As you said , it often depends onthe track. The bottom line is , do YOU enjoy a particular record in mono or in stereo , and would you want other people to hear it ?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel