Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Go ahead, tell me how much this pisses you off...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 18, 2010 5:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:
      BTW, I like all of these suggestions for making movies about real bands, but then you run into the problem of people being such sticklers for accuracy, along with how the story itself is told, i.e. it was too sugar coated, too dramatized, to hokey, too grim, too much emphasis on one thing or another, too little emphasis on one thing or another, etc. Maybe this is the reason why producers and directors prefer to make movies about fictional bands.

BTW, did anyone here ever see "Velvet Goldmine"? If so, tell me what you thought of it. That movie led to my discovery of garage rock, and I'll tell you that story if you're interested (Hey, stop snoring back there! This is my life I'm talking about).

Yeah, I saw that lie of a movie. Todd Haynes changed the names of Bowie and Iggy so he could film his fantasy of their relationship but all concerned say Bowie and Iggy were friends not lovers (Angie B. says "my question would be, who'd be the bottom?"). Not only that but the Iggy character's lines don't sound like anything the Ig would ever say. The character is much more similar to Kurt Cobain or some emo pussy. Still, hearing "Needle Through a Camel's Eye" blasting in Sensurround was great and if the movie led you to dig garage rock, that's awesome.
    • October 18, 2010 11:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, I like all of these suggestions for making movies about real bands, but then you run into the problem of people being such sticklers for accuracy, along with how the story itself is told, i.e. it was too sugar coated, too dramatized, to hokey, too grim, too much emphasis on one thing or another, too little emphasis on one thing or another, etc. Maybe this is the reason why producers and directors prefer to make movies about fictional bands.

BTW, did anyone here ever see "Velvet Goldmine"? If so, tell me what you thought of it. That movie led to my discovery of garage rock, and I'll tell you that story if you're interested (Hey, stop snoring back there! This is my life I'm talking about).
    • October 18, 2010 11:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for being you;)

Dana V. Hatch said:
      Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.
    • October 18, 2010 11:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for being you;)

brotherkyle said:

Johnny DumAss said:
      One thing is for sure is that when I found out about Little Steven liking Garage music it was weird. I mean the Boss guitarist actually could possibly be kinda cool? No Way! I don't particularly like his music at all but whatever. I do wish they would make a movie about the Sonics or some band like that. Then they would have to deal with all the copyrights and stuff this way they can make all the money and who knows if they get a half ass popular song then they make even more.

A movie about the Sonics would be bad ass.

Little Steven is a square.
    • October 17, 2010 12:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Steven Van Zandt! And I thought the music in the Soprano's was pretty damn cool!
      I'm not going to pass judgment on this new film til I see it.

A movie on the Monks would be brilliant!

Did somebody say there was a doc on The Misunderstood??? What's the name of it?
      Would love to give it a watch!
    • October 16, 2010 8:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yea the Seeds would be a great story. I mean with him going nuts and then coming back with an album like it was still 1969!
      kopper said:
      Hell yeah, the Barbarians. Or, for that matter, the fuckin' SEEDS. And I wouldn't mind seeing something about the Driving Stupid.

Dana V. Hatch said:
      Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.
    • October 16, 2010 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lenny Kaye would have made a better choice as musical consultant. The Elastik Band would be a good choice, Spazz would be a perfect film title.
    • October 16, 2010 3:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hell yeah, the Barbarians. Or, for that matter, the fuckin' SEEDS. And I wouldn't mind seeing something about the Driving Stupid.

Dana V. Hatch said:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 16, 2010 2:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 16, 2010 8:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One thing is for sure is that when I found out about Little Steven liking Garage music it was weird. I mean the Boss guitarist actually could possibly be kinda cool? No Way! I don't particularly like his music at all but whatever. I do wish they would make a movie about the Sonics or some band like that. Then they would have to deal with all the copyrights and stuff this way they can make all the money and who knows if they get a half ass popular song then they make even more.
    • October 15, 2010 6:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you. I think there's a movie there, documentary or docu-drama. Some John Peel tie in, their musical mind meld book, underdogs with big dreams and bad luck. There has to be some kind of love story to tie in, no matter how loose.
    • October 15, 2010 5:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Misunderstood

DammitDave said:
      Yeah or that one band with the pschedelic steel guitar...they dodged the draft, went to England, got caught on the ferry between England and France and no one would let them into the country, their music smelled like apples...what was the name of that band? I'm totally drawing a blank! I'll think of it as soon as I hit "Add Reply."

kopper said:
      I would actually prefer to see a movie like this about a REAL band, though. How cool would it be to see a movie about the Sonics or the Monks (just as a couple examples)? And do it up right, like the Runaways movie. That's my only gripe about this.
    • October 15, 2010 1:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah or that one band with the pschedelic steel guitar...they dodged the draft, went to England, got caught on the ferry between England and France and no one would let them into the country, their music smelled like apples...what was the name of that band? I'm totally drawing a blank! I'll think of it as soon as I hit "Add Reply."

kopper said:
      I would actually prefer to see a movie like this about a REAL band, though. How cool would it be to see a movie about the Sonics or the Monks (just as a couple examples)? And do it up right, like the Runaways movie. That's my only gripe about this.
    • October 15, 2010 1:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That wouldn't be a bad idea either. BTW, I also really liked "The Runaways."

kopper said:
    • October 15, 2010 1:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, I wasn't trying to bait anyone. I was just curious to know what others thought. And while I liked "That Thing You Do," I would like for this movie to be less family friendly.

ixnayray said:
      Going by the title of this thread I thought YOU were pissed off with this report. Yet it turns out you're looking forward to it.

Well I couldn't care less about it personally. I'm sure with David Chase behind it, it has potential to be good. Although why make a film about a fictitious band in the first place? I'm sure there are many real bands with an interesting history?

I did have a feeling you were trying to bait us with the Little Steven thing... but I feel so indifferent about the guy to be honest. The only problem I really have is him calling his show 'Underground Garage' when it seems pretty commercial to me. I enjoyed him very much in The Soprano's though, and I quite like me some Bruce Springsteen [sue me].

As for 'That Thing You Do', well, a family movie about a fictitious band made by Tom Hanks? I'd rather peel skin and dip it in salt as i'm sure it would be a less painful experience.
    • October 15, 2010 10:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Speaking of rock-and-roll movies, will we ever get to see MC5 * A True Testimonial?
    • October 15, 2010 10:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 15, 2010 10:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Going by the title of this thread I thought YOU were pissed off with this report. Yet it turns out you're looking forward to it.

Well I couldn't care less about it personally. I'm sure with David Chase behind it, it has potential to be good. Although why make a film about a fictitious band in the first place? I'm sure there are many real bands with an interesting history?

I did have a feeling you were trying to bait us with the Little Steven thing... but I feel so indifferent about the guy to be honest. The only problem I really have is him calling his show 'Underground Garage' when it seems pretty commercial to me. I enjoyed him very much in The Soprano's though, and I quite like me some Bruce Springsteen [sue me].

As for 'That Thing You Do', well, a family movie about a fictitious band made by Tom Hanks? I'd rather peel skin and dip it in salt as i'm sure it would be a less painful experience.
    • October 15, 2010 10:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like That Thing You Do. If this is as a good as that it'll be a great movie. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it.
    • October 15, 2010 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, That Thing You Do was pretty good. The music was a bit tame by '60s garage or punk standards, but the movie was really well made. Continuity was flawless.

• October 15, 2010 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Surprise, surprise. When I saw this article, I thought for certain somebody here would get angry about it, if for no other reason than Little Steven's involvement. Guess I was just being paranoid. What a missed opportunity, not using such a cool band name. BTW, did you ever see "That Thing You Do"? If so, did you like it?

kopper said:
      What is there to argue about? So he's making a movie about a fictitious '60s band. Who cares? It's not like that hasn't been done before.

I searched the Searchin' for Shakes database and, at least as far as I can see, there was never a '60s garage band called the Twilight Zones.
    • October 15, 2010 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What is there to argue about? So he's making a movie about a fictitious '60s band. Who cares? It's not like that hasn't been done before. I searched the Searchin' for Shakes database and, at least as far as I can see, there was never a '60s garage band called the Twilight Zones.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel